The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 2864 Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi777 View Post
Thanks also to Tgterm and JD for the responses.

As regards bass management I have a bunch of terrible nulls in my room because of a cabinet on the left. The presence of the cabinet means there is a gap in the left side of the room. A lot of bass (between 45-65hz range- midbass) ends up being caught up in there. As a consequence it sounds bloated and directional at my desired seating position (centre, towards the back of the room.) I have tried to resolve this by using the SMS-1 Sub eq from Velodyne but it hasn't helped much as the nulls continue to exist. Setting the front Polks to straight does help as it means there are more sources in the room producing the bass.

Mainly, it means the bass is not as directional. Which is probably the biggest problem. (It sounds like the bass is actually coming from that gap in the wall and it seems to have a curve to it. Despite the submersive being nowhere near that gap.)

After moving the sub plenty of times, it hasn't helped.

The only solution I have to solve the sub issue is to just buy another submersive to even out the bass production. That's not happening any time soon as I still want to maintain the structural integrity of my house!

Anyways, thats all I'll say about that issue because it definitely is not the first time I've talked about it on AVS, and it definitely does not belong on this thread.

After Jdsmoothies advice I'll leave out the amp purchase and just make a big investment a couple years on from now and make sure I buy everything correctly. (Not have a mix of brilliant floorstanders, OK satellites and one of the worlds best subs all in the wrong room! )

Thank you very much for the help and quick responses
Ash
You may already have tried this, but the problem you describe sounds like a great candidate for one or more bass traps. I had a similar problem which I was actually able to localize to a particular corner. A corner bass trap completely resolved it, although I have since added a couple of others. Corner bass traps are one of the cheapest and best solutions to bass problems in general. For something economical, you could try one like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2864 Old 08-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
so, with that being the case, what would folks recommend someone with all Martin Logan's in their system set it for? I also have a ML sub, so not sure if setting the front towers to small or large would be best for most accurate and powerful Low end..
post #2793 of 2864 Old 08-05-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
You may already have tried this, but the problem you describe sounds like a great candidate for one or more bass traps. I had a similar problem which I was actually able to localize to a particular corner. A corner bass trap completely resolved it, although I have since added a couple of others. Corner bass traps are one of the cheapest and best solutions to bass problems in general. For something economical, you could try one like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Okay... Now I'm curious... Never seen the likes of those before. Do you just buy a pair and prop them up on the floor in the corners behind your sub? Will they always improve the situation or only if you are trying to solve for a bass response issue?

Thanks!
post #2794 of 2864 Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
Okay... Now I'm curious... Never seen the likes of those before. Do you just buy a pair and prop them up on the floor in the corners behind your sub? Will they always improve the situation or only if you are trying to solve for a bass response issue?

Thanks!
Well, I'm not an expert in this, but I can make some general statements. First, different kinds of acoustical treatments are designed for different issues. Bass traps have to be much thicker than acoustical panels designed for mid-range or high frequencies. Second, location is important depending on the type of acoustical problem you are trying to correct. For instance, if you have a very bright room, with a lot of high frequency energy, you might want to use 2"-4" thick panels at selected reflection points to try to tame some of the brightness.

In this case, there are some low frequencies causing problems, and it almost sounds as if the OP can localize them. For that, I would try bass traps located in the corner near the cabinet, and/or in the opposite corner where he said it sounded like an opening. Bass traps typically need to be about 12" thick to be effective. That's a generalization as it depends somewhat on their composition. The nice thing about the one I linked to is that it's versatile. You can stack them to get something that's 12"x48", or separate them into two corners at 12"x 24" , or double them up to get 24"x by 24", depending on what works best.

Some enthusiasts put bass traps from floor to ceiling in all four corners of a typical square or rectangular room. But most rooms can probably benefit from one or more modest corner traps, depending on aesthetic and WAF considerations. In general, bass traps should help to tighten-up bass and make Audyssey's job a little easier irrespective of the number of subwoofers in a system. I do have a stacked corner trap like the one I linked to in the corner behind my sub, although that wasn't the corner that was giving me specific problems. If you don't have measuring equipment, and I don't, you can experiment to listen to what works best; sort of as you would with a sub crawl. Bass traps would almost always help, and with a specific bass problem could be a great solution.
post #2795 of 2864 Old 08-05-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hey,

I have looked into this and I thought that bass traps do almost nothing for frequencies below 60hz?
post #2796 of 2864 Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 68
^Guys,

Have a look at the test results from Foam Factory here:http://www.usafoam.com/acousticfoam/...omparison.html

It's very hard to address bass below 100Hz.

The price from Foam Factory is very competitive and I might just put in an order to see how well it improves the sound quality in the room.

You all should have a go at the free room measurement application called REW. AVS member Jerry Austin has written a step-by-step guide in the following thread: Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

Remember to run Audyssey in the Marantz AVR after installing the traps. The REW measured results will tell you if there's been improvement or not.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2797 of 2864 Old 08-05-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 167
The ATS Acoustics Corner Bass Trap is very efficient down to 50Hz with an absorption coefficient of 1.21 @ 50Hz. At 80Hz is even better with an absorption coefficient of 2.40. Of course it's not as cheap at the one made out of foam. The ATS Acoustics Corner Bass Trap 24"x48x13"" is $129 + Shipping. I have one in my room and it made a huge different with bass problems I had before. I do have also 10 more ATS acoustics panels in my room, 6 are 4" and 4 are 2".

http://www.atsacoustics.com/corner-bass-trap-b.html

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #2798 of 2864 Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
^Guys,

Have a look at the test results from Foam Factory here:http://www.usafoam.com/acousticfoam/...omparison.html

It's very hard to address bass below 100Hz.

The price from Foam Factory is very competitive and I might just put in an order to see how well it improves the sound quality in the room.

You all should have a go at the free room measurement application called REW. AVS member Jerry Austin has written a step-by-step guide in the following thread: Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

Remember to run Audyssey in the Marantz AVR after installing the traps. The REW measured results will tell you if there's been improvement or not.

Strange...20.99 at the link you provided for a 2 pack of corner bass traps...but if you want them shipped they send you to a different link...where they tack on 8 bucks to the base price AND charge you $13 for shipping. I know we are not talking big bucks here...but what's up with that?

T
post #2799 of 2864 Old 08-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

I've done a little more digging into foam vs. fiberglass products, and so far the test results show that fiberglass has a better absorption of the important bass frequencies compared to foam. So will be giving Foam Factory and similar items a miss.

Since I'm interested in fixing the poor room acoustics and would like professionally made panels to suite the room decor, GIK Acoustics is going to be the first call on some advise.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2800 of 2864 Old 08-06-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Give ATS Acoustics a call as well. Their products are really good and very well made.
post #2801 of 2864 Old 08-06-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
Strange...20.99 at the link you provided for a 2 pack of corner bass traps...but if you want them shipped they send you to a different link...where they tack on 8 bucks to the base price AND charge you $13 for shipping. I know we are not talking big bucks here...but what's up with that?

T
I'm probably the only one who cares, but here's their explanation re price difference...

'The reason there is a difference in price is because the usafoam.com is a pick up only website.  There are no handling or packaging charges rolled into the price.  That is also the reason your cannot add items to your cart on that site.  The other site is higher because it has the charges rolled into the price.  Sorry for the confusion.'

8 bucks for the box[emoji4]
post #2802 of 2864 Old 08-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi777 View Post
Hey,

I have looked into this and I thought that bass traps do almost nothing for frequencies below 60hz?
Hi, I'm sorry that I couldn't respond sooner, but I see that you have already received a couple of other responses. Again, I don't consider myself anything like an expert on this subject, but based on what I have read, and to some extent experienced, good bass traps can provide some degree of attenuation down to 30-35hz. That comes from Ethan Winer in his book "The Audio Expert". The question is how much attenuation? As I see it, you have a combination of resources at your disposal. Audyssey alone certainly can't solve your problem. But perhaps a good bass trap could make the problem more manageable in order for Audyssey to be able to help solve it.

The approach that I might take (and did take with a similar problem) would be to buy something relatively inexpensive like the foam corner trap I linked. Try that, and listen to find out if it helps at all. I ended up augmenting mine with some additional acoustic material I had on hand. Then, once I was sure that I knew where to put the corner trap, and that it was possible to attenuate the really unpleasant resonance I was getting at around 50hz, I invested in a better fiberglass trap. I bought the same one that Enrico described to you, and re-purposed the foam trap to another corner. Since then I have subtly treated the other corners, as well.

What I have found is that properly positioned bass traps can not only help to resolve specific problems and make it easier to achieve better room correction at that frequency, but that they can help to clean-up bass in general. Aside from eliminating the really gnarly resonance I had (also from a low cabinet by the way), I found that my mid-range became much cleaner. Too much, or the wrong kind at least, bass resonance can obscure vocals and instrument solos such as saxophone, clarinet, and acoustic guitar, for instance. I have XT-32, but even so, it is nice to give it some help.

If you are a DIY type, which I'm not particularly, you could probably cobble something together from Home Depot just to see whether a corner trap will work. But I would definitely experiment with something.

Last edited by mthomas47; 08-06-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Temporary (I hope) brain freeze
post #2803 of 2864 Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
so, with that being the case, what would folks recommend someone with all Martin Logan's in their system set it for? I also have a ML sub, so not sure if setting the front towers to small or large would be best for most accurate and powerful Low end..
Regardless of brand, if you're using a sub, set all your other speakers to small.
wase4711 likes this.
post #2804 of 2864 Old 08-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
thanks man, thats what I thought!
post #2805 of 2864 Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
With the new SR7009 due out in Oct, Marantz has lowered the UAP on the SR7008. Call me for pricing.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2806 of 2864 Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys ! New here. Question. I'm a new owner of an SR 5008. I love it, but when I change from one mode ( input ) to another, there is a faint but audible electronic "snap" or "pop" over the speakers, not from any relay inside the unit. Should I be concerned ? Otherwise the operation is fine. Thanks for any response.
post #2807 of 2864 Old 08-09-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinf1990 View Post
hmm i don't think you guys are understanding my scenario. let's say I want to listen to radio or internet radio (audio only source) and I don't need to see the contents of the monitor. I want my monitor (not a TV) to go into standby without actually going to the monitor to manually press the power to turn off the power. if there is a setting that i can just turn off the hdmi output on the receiver it would cause the monitor to lose signal and go to standby while still being able to play audio source through the speakers. is this possible?

and is it normal for the receiver to run pretty warm to slightly hot when operating? the marantz seems to run hotter then a comparable yamaha aventage receiver i am comparing this receiver to. the receivers are sitting on a open end table with plenty of ventilation.
When I want to listen to Marantz's network music (Spotify/Pandora/Internet Radio) I use the phone/tablet app to turn the Marantz on while the TV is off and use the phone to select music to listen to.
post #2808 of 2864 Old 08-10-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
With the new SR7009 due out in Oct, Marantz has lowered the UAP on the SR7008. Call me for pricing.
I know it just came out, but any deals on 5009 yet? Only thing I've seen is MSRP with free shipping, which is understandable. But thought I'd ask
post #2809 of 2864 Old 08-10-2014, 06:29 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Always best to "call" for current pricing, not just "look" at websites as authorized dealers must post MSRP unless a unit is at end of life and on clearance.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #2810 of 2864 Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi!

I have three questions regarding the 7008 as I am planing to buy it this week:

- What DACs are used in the 7008? How many? Most other AVRs of this level have their DACs stated in the specifications sheet, but I can't find such info concerning the 7008.

- Can 2.1 be performed like this: 2 front channels driven by a stereo valve amp - connected through the pre-outs on the 7008 and the subwoofer driven by the 7008? My idea is to listen to 2.1 using the 7008 to perform room corrections to the subwoofer and an external valve amp to color the front 2 channels. Is there a way to bypass the valve amp for Movies and use it only for Music?

- Is the phono pre-amp good in terms of sonic performance?

Thanks!

Last edited by Yanec; 08-11-2014 at 02:18 PM.
post #2811 of 2864 Old 08-11-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Front speakers on 7008

This post has over 2800 responses, and I can't spend the time reading all of them, so please excuse me if this question has already been asked+answered. I have a 7800 that has been in use for a few months. At the front of my room I have a 5 channel soundbar which I have had connected to the receiver with the FL and FR speakers in the soundbar connected to the FL and FR on the receiver. The SL and SR speakers in the soundbar have been connected to the front height outputs on the receiver. Over this past weekend I added a pair of LCR speakers alongside my TV and connected them to the front wide outputs on the receiver.

I have the amp assign on the receiver set to 9.1. I set up the two new speakers using the tone control for the speakers and I did get the white noise tone out of both of them.

Here's my problem, I have been listening to music from my BluRay player and it does not sound as though there is any output from the two new speakers. I am using the BR player to convert the music from digital to analog and sending the music to the receiver through the multi-channel analog inputs on the receiver. When I set the input on the 7008 to 7.1 in, I cannot change the surround format, so I am getting the music as it is being delivered from the BR player.

I have searched the owners manual and also the FAQ on Marantz's website. The only thing I can figure is that when the receiver is getting input through the 7.1 analog, that it will only output 7.1 which means that no sound is being sent to the front height or front wide speakers? If I open the front panel and look at the little input/output channel indicators it does not show either the "H" or "W" for the front height and front wide speakers.

I would appreciate any knowledge anyone here can share! Thank you!

JR
post #2812 of 2864 Old 08-11-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanec View Post
Hi!

- What DACs are used in the 7008? How many? Most other AVRs of this level have their DACs stated in the specifications sheet, but I can't find such info concerning the 7008.

- Can 2.1 be performed like this: 2 front channels driven by a stereo valve amp - connected through the pre-outs on the 7008 and the subwoofer driven by the 7008? My idea is to listen to 2.1 using the 7008 to perform room corrections to the subwoofer and an external valve amp to color the front 2 channels. Is there a way to bypass the valve amp for Movies and use it only for Music?

Thanks!
I can't answer all of your questions, but there are a couple of things I'd like to try to address. I think you are going to like your 7008. I believe that the 7008 uses a Wolfson DAC. jdsmoothie may be able to give us more specific information.

With respect to the valve amp, you could certainly configure it as an external amp. A lot of people do use external amps. But when you speak of coloring the front channels, Audyssey XT-32 is doing a lot more than "color" the sound. It is providing thousands of filters across the frequency spectrum in an attempt to correct undesirable interactions between the speakers and the room. IMO, and according to the literature (Toole, Welti, etc) those speaker/room interactions have far more influence on what we actually hear than the amp/speaker interaction. This is not to say that you shouldn't use an external amp, but simply to encourage you to study and implement XT-32. The FAQ is a great place to learn about what Audyssey does and how to use it.

For a lot of us, Audyssey is a complex and challenging technology. I envy people who immediately comprehend all of its complexities and/or are lucky enough to get a great calibration on their first try. But unless you have an extremely well (acoustically) treated room, you are much likelier to get good acoustical results from employing Audyssey, irrespective of what amplifier you are using. For instance, when I listen to music, I use all vintage speakers. I have always loved the way they sound, even though I also have, and have had, some modern speakers too. But XT-32 definitely improves what I hear for music as well as movies, because it improves the interaction between speakers and room, and not just for the subwoofer(s). Again, the FAQ is a very good place to start.

Last edited by mthomas47; 08-11-2014 at 04:56 PM.
post #2813 of 2864 Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi!

From memory both Denon and Marantz use the same DAC supplier, Analogue Devices. Exact model number I'm not familiar with. Will have to check with jdsmoothie on this.

Quote:
Once you've gone through the Audyssey, in the setup menu, you can engage the Left/Right front bypass which means no room equalization (REQ) for those two speakers. The bass management is still there and the sub(s) would have the Audyssey room correction.

Quote:

Thanks!
Don't have a turn table so can't say. Somewhere in the thread, a few owners have tried and reported back good results. Do a search with the key word of 'phono'.

post #2814 of 2864 Old 08-12-2014, 02:20 PM

Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new in the audio world but I really enjoy to read this topic about the marantz receivers. Now i am planning to buy a Kef T205 5.1 speaker system. In combination with the sr6008, is this a good one or do I really need the sr7008 because of the multeq xt32 for the best sound experience?

I like to hear from you.
post #2815 of 2864 Old 08-12-2014, 03:47 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The S6008 will work just fine ... the SR7008 will just be better.

post #2816 of 2864 Old 08-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
... I have a 7800 that has been in use for a few months. At the front of my room I have a 5 channel soundbar which I have had connected to the receiver with the FL and FR speakers in the soundbar connected to the FL and FR on the receiver. The SL and SR speakers in the soundbar have been connected to the front height outputs on the receiver. Over this past weekend I added a pair of LCR speakers alongside my TV and connected them to the front wide outputs on the receiver.
This is an unusual setup. What made you want to pair a top end (i.e. expensive) AVR such as the SR-7008 with a soundbar -make and model number? Don't expect to get a proper surround with this setup.

At least connect SL and SR power terminals of the SR-7008 with the SL and SR of your soundbar. The soundbar is trying to fool your ears with it's unique system. It's not the same as having the individual speakers located at the proper height and angles as shown below for the recommended Audyssey setup.

Quote:
I have the amp assign on the receiver set to 9.1. I set up the two new speakers using the tone control for the speakers and I did get the white noise tone out of both of them.
Where are these new speakers located? What are the assignments for these new speakers? FL, FR, C, etc. See the above diagram on speaker arrangement.

Quote:
Here's my problem, I have been listening to music from my BluRay player and it does not sound as though there is any output from the two new speakers. I am using the BR player to convert the music from digital to analog and sending the music to the receiver through the multi-channel analog inputs on the receiver. When I set the input on the 7008 to 7.1 in, I cannot change the surround format, so I am getting the music as it is being delivered from the BR player.

I have searched the owners manual and also the FAQ on Marantz's website. The only thing I can figure is that when the receiver is getting input through the 7.1 analog, that it will only output 7.1 which means that no sound is being sent to the front height or front wide speakers? If I open the front panel and look at the little input/output channel indicators it does not show either the "H" or "W" for the front height and front wide speakers.

I would appreciate any knowledge anyone here can share! Thank you!
Set your BR player to bitstream (or LPCM) to the SR-7008 in the digital domain. Analogue into the SR-7008 is straight pass through so there is no AD conversion--->Audyssey up-scaling--->DA conversion--->output to extra speakers.

post #2817 of 2864 Old 08-13-2014, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question regarding the DAC quality of the SR6008 which I believe is a Texas instruments DAC.

I purchased a Bluesound Node as my digital source. It has a Cirrus Logic 192 kHz/ 24 bit DAC. I hooked the Node up to my SR6008 with proper rca cables. My question is which DAC is the better one? Should I use the Marantz's Texas Instruments or the Nodes Cirrus Logic (Reason for me asking is the lack of good optical cable which prevents me from being able to test).

Thanks in advance guys.
post #2818 of 2864 Old 08-13-2014, 03:33 AM
585-645-1006

Not likely to hear any difference one way or the other, but then an optical cable from forum sponsor Monoprice will only set you back maybe $5 to test for yourself.

post #2819 of 2864 Old 08-13-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
This is an unusual setup. What made you want to pair a top end (i.e. expensive) AVR such as the SR-7008 with a soundbar -make and model number? Don't expect to get a proper surround with this setup.
I guess I did not explain it with enough detail. I have a 5 channel soundbar at the front of the room below the TV. The TV is on an audio stand, not wall mounted.

Quote:
At least connect SL and SR power terminals of the SR-7008 with the SL and SR of your soundbar. The soundbar is trying to fool your ears with it's unique system. It's not the same as having the individual speakers located at the proper height and angles as shown below for the recommended Audyssey setup.

Where are these new speakers located? What are the assignments for these new speakers? FL, FR, C, etc. See the above diagram on speaker arrangement.
The new speakers are an LCR speaker which are mounted to the immediate left and right of the TV. I made a bracket that attaches to the VESA mounting points on the TV so the speakers are "hovering" alongside the screen. I did this because the TV is on a rotating base and I wanted these speakers to be in line with the screen when I change the position of the screen.

I have had the soundbar hooked up to the receiver as such:
L/C/R inputs on the soundbar connected to the FL/C/FR outputs on the AVR. The SL/SR inputs on the soundbar are connected to the front height outputs on the AVR. I have a pair of in ceiling speakers (8ft ceiling) in line with the seating position which serve as the SL and SR speakers. Finally there is another pair of LCR speakers mounted to the rear wall of the room at ~4ft height which serve as the SBL and SBR speakers in the system. I did not and do not plan to use the Audyssey setup.

Quote:
Set your BR player to bitstream (or LPCM) to the SR-7008 in the digital domain. Analogue into the SR-7008 is straight pass through so there is no AD conversion--->Audyssey up-scaling--->DA conversion--->output to extra speakers.
I currently have all eleven speaker outputs on the AVR connected to speakers. I was hoping that I could listen to music as multi-channel stereo over all of the connected speakers. But this receiver only has nine channels of amplification so I'm beginning to think that I could only get music or movie audio out of a combination of nine speakers.

I prefer to let the BR player do the D/A conversion and I feed that to the AVR over the multi-channel analog outputs. Music has a very different sound if the BR player does the conversion compared to sending the audio to the receiver digitally and let the receiver do the D/A conversion. One of the reasons I purchased the SR7008 is because it has three separate speaker outputs for the front left and right channels. I was expecting that the receiver would output and FL or FR audio to all three front speaker pairs, but that does not appear to be the case. It seems to me that by using the 7.1 analog inputs on the receiver that it is only amplifying and outputting sound to the FL or FR speakers - no audio is being sent to the front height or front wide speaker outputs.

JR
post #2820 of 2864 Old 08-13-2014, 06:19 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The 7.1 analog inputs are discrete inputs with the output audio going to those same 7 speakers only. Front Height and Front Wide speaker audio is "simulated" and requires DSP (ie. DSX or DTS Neo:X) which does not occur with the multi analog inputs.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread - Sr5008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page