The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 2864 Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi AVSnewbie123,

Welcome to AVS! ARC had given me a lot of grief and I've switched it off. Most TV sets which receive DD over the air broadcast will down grade into 2.0 and cause handshake issues over HDMI. Since you've got the Cisco DVB, I'd use that as the main source.

While the best person to answer this is jdsmoothie, I'd try a soft reset. Unplug the power for about an hour. See if you're able to run Audyssey setup again.

The SR5008 has an ethernet port and if your router is nearby, connect to it via hard wire. Once you've gone through Audyssey setup, via the PC web interface, connect to your SR5008 through it's IP address. Save your settings on the PC so that if something goes wrong again in the future, you can reload your settings without going through the entire setup again. It will save all your custom settings also. It is a useful and time saving feature.
Hi steveting99,

Thanks for the reply!

I was suspecting that CISCO could be causing problems. I have tried setting CISCO audio output to its both options (PCM and EDID) with no success. Other option is set to DOLBY, but I will see what happens when set to STEREO. TV sound is not a huge issue from my perspective, as long as it exists. Does using CISCO as the main source mean plugging it directly into the AVR? (CISCO does not have a hdmi control option).

I have also turned off something called INSTAPORT for HDMI on the TV and disabled content type recognition via HDMI on the TV (suggested by the TV manual when using old HDMI equipment).

As for the "soft reset", I left the unit switched off for the night, there is picture on the TV, but no sound at all.
Not sure how to use the BNC connector cable from the link for ETHERNET. The unit has an RS232, but it is plugged into the router directly with a LAN cable. I had no connectivity issues, but I could try using a static IP for it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I would appreciate additional advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2864 Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnewbie123 View Post
Hi steveting99,

Thanks for the reply!

I was suspecting that CISCO could be causing problems. I have tried setting CISCO audio output to its both options (PCM and EDID) with no success. Other option is set to DOLBY, but I will see what happens when set to STEREO. TV sound is not a huge issue from my perspective, as long as it exists. Does using CISCO as the main source mean plugging it directly into the AVR? (CISCO does not have a hdmi control option).

I have also turned off something called INSTAPORT for HDMI on the TV and disabled content type recognition via HDMI on the TV (suggested by the TV manual when using old HDMI equipment).

As for the "soft reset", I left the unit switched off for the night, there is picture on the TV, but no sound at all.
Not sure how to use the BNC connector cable from the link for ETHERNET. The unit has an RS232, but it is plugged into the router directly with a LAN cable. I had no connectivity issues, but I could try using a static IP for it.

With just the TV connected to the SR5008 via HDMI, are you able to go through the Audyssey setup? You previously mentioned doing a factory reset and the SR5008 hung when going through the Audyssey setup process. This shouldn't happen and trouble shooting by having nothing connected except the TV to the AVR would be a good place to start.

Once the Audyssey setup with the connected speakers is done, hardwire to the router to save onto your PC. Carry out a load to make sure your saved settings from the PC can be restored to the SR5008. The step-by-step SAVE/LOAD from the AVR is given by jdsmoothie here: The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

Once you've confirmed that SAVE/LOAD works, it'll be easy to restore back to a know good state without having to go through the entire setup again.

Connect the cisco device to the SR5008 then play with settings on the cisco to see what trips up the SR5008. You might have to report this bug back to your cable provider and ask when the fix via firmware will become available.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2853 of 2864 Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM

Thanks again for the reply.

I tried Audyssay setup this morning, but there was no sound and it could not be completed. I unplugged the unit, tv, etc. And got sound on the unit when TUNER input is selected.

I made manual settings of the speakers using IP control (web control) and left the TUNER on.
After half an hour - 45 min, I lost sound completely again. What could be causing this? Should I return the unit or take it to service? It is approx. two months old.

As for the Cable provider, I don't thing they care about this. They will say that its OK since I have Picture and Sound on the TV. Anyway, I will connect the CISCO directly to the AVR and give it a try.

I am open to other suggestions, would hate to send the unit back.

Quote:
With just the TV connected to the SR5008 via HDMI, are you able to go through the Audyssey setup? You previously mentioned doing a factory reset and the SR5008 hung when going through the Audyssey setup process. This shouldn't happen and trouble shooting by having nothing connected except the TV to the AVR would be a good place to start.

Once the Audyssey setup with the connected speakers is done, hardwire to the router to save onto your PC. Carry out a load to make sure your saved settings from the PC can be restored to the SR5008. The step-by-step SAVE/LOAD from the AVR is given by jdsmoothie here: The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

Once you've confirmed that SAVE/LOAD works, it'll be easy to restore back to a know good state without having to go through the entire setup again.

Connect the cisco device to the SR5008 then play with settings on the cisco to see what trips up the SR5008. You might have to report this bug back to your cable provider and ask when the fix via firmware will become available.

Last edited by AVSnewbie123; 08-18-2014 at 11:50 PM.
post #2854 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

^AVSnewbie123,

Do the factory reset outline in page 235 of the owner's manual.

(1) turn off power to the SR5008 via the front panel ON/OFF button.
(2) press the front panel ON/OFF button and at the same time press and hold the: GAME + A-DSX buttons.
(3) wait until the display starts to flash in 1 second intervals, then release the: GAME + A-DSX buttons.

Report back if the factory reset worked. If it doesn't and you've tried the above procedure a few times, I'm afraid it means returning the SR5008 and get a new one.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2855 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 02:15 AM

Quote:
^AVSnewbie123,

Do the factory reset outline in page 235 of the owner's manual.

(1) turn off power to the SR5008 via the front panel ON/OFF button.
(2) press the front panel ON/OFF button and at the same time press and hold the: GAME + A-DSX buttons.
(3) wait until the display starts to flash in 1 second intervals, then release the: GAME + A-DSX buttons.

Report back if the factory reset worked. If it doesn't and you've tried the above procedure a few times, I'm afraid it means returning the SR5008 and get a new one.
Tried the factory reset, according to the manual. Power led, pure direct, m-dax and the display flashed together until I let go of the buttons? The manual says just the display should flash?

BTW. My manual says swith off, than OFF+ ZONE2 + M-DAX for factory reset.

Tuner played again for a few minutes and muted again. Should I maybe reinstall the firmware or something similar?
Could speaker cables 2*2.5mm be causing the problem the speakers are small, but 8ohm. I have not noticed that the unit was running hot, just warmish while it was still functional...

Last edited by AVSnewbie123; Yesterday at 03:14 AM.
post #2856 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

^AVSnewbie123,

Apologies for the confusion regarding the factory reset - was looking at the SR7008 manual rather than SR5008. The buttons you've mentioned are correct. If you've followed the procedure as outlined in page 197, the display should flash in 1 second intervals.

Assuming you've just connected to the TV via HDMI and press setup button on the remote, are you able to get to the Marantz menu screen? When you plug in the Audyssey mic are you able to see the Audyssey setup screen and carry out all 8 measurement points?

The speaker cable of 2.5mm sq. sits between AWG 13 to 14. See the following chart here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/aw...uge-d_731.html, what is the sensitivity rating of your satellite speakers and their power handling abilities? Make and model would be useful.

If the distance from the SR5008 to the speaker is short, the 2.5mm sq. cable shouldn't be an issue. The following wiring table gives a guideline: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

Check the cable for any faults with and without the speakers connected.

jdsmoothie might be able to offer better advise as I'm lost what else you can do. It looks like a return to Marantz is necessary if you can't get past Audyssey setup.

post #2857 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM

Quote:
^AVSnewbie123,

Apologies for the confusion regarding the factory reset - was looking at the SR7008 manual rather than SR5008. The buttons you've mentioned are correct. If you've followed the procedure as outlined in page 197, the display should flash in 1 second intervals.

Assuming you've just connected to the TV via HDMI and press setup button on the remote, are you able to get to the Marantz menu screen? When you plug in the Audyssey mic are you able to see the Audyssey setup screen and carry out all 8 measurement points?

The speaker cable of 2.5mm sq. sits between AWG 13 to 14. See the following chart here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/aw...uge-d_731.html, what is the sensitivity rating of your satellite speakers and their power handling abilities? Make and model would be useful.

If the distance from the SR5008 to the speaker is short, the 2.5mm sq. cable shouldn't be an issue. The following wiring table gives a guideline: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

Check the cable for any faults with and without the speakers connected.

jdsmoothie might be able to offer better advise as I'm lost what else you can do. It looks like a return to Marantz is necessary if you can't get past Audyssey setup.

Thanks again for the answer. The speakers are Monitor Audio R90HD10, 10-100W, 87db, 8ohm.

Speaker lengths are 3-8m depending on the speaker, so I guess this is OK. HDMI length is 5m, except for the SetTopBox which is 1.5m long, I think.
Speakers are properly connected, I double checked the connections.
I have no picture on the TV. It just recognizes that the AVR is connected but the screen is black

Hope jdsmoothie would also give a suggestion. I would like to avoid returning the unit if possible....

Last edited by AVSnewbie123; Yesterday at 04:04 AM.
post #2858 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
^^
As the standard troubleshooting has proved ineffective, it does appear to be defective and should be repaired/exchanged.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2859 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
As the standard troubleshooting has proved ineffective, it does appear to be defective and should be repaired/exchanged.

Thanks for the support and answers. I guess I am left without any other options. Not sure how to pack it since the original box and package went out as garbage when the unit arrived...
post #2860 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM
585-645-1006

^^
With electronics, you always want to save the original box (regardless of what wife says) at least for warranty period as it includes the proper packing to ensure safe shipment if any repair work is required. You can purchase a box and packing material at Home Depot, Lowes, or any local moving company (eg. UHaul).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; Yesterday at 06:41 AM.
post #2861 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
^^
With electronics, you always want to save the original box (regardless of what wife says) as it includes the proper packing to ensure safe shipment if any repair work is required. You can purchase a box and packing material at Home Depot, Lowes, or any local moving company (eg. UHaul).
I still have the boxes from my first set of "high dollar" Polk RT12 speakers that I bought in 1995, and have used them to move several times over the years. The speakers have been passed on to the kids now, but as long as they're in the house, the boxes will be there for them!

Every so often I have to go through the electronics boxes in the attic to get rid of the ones whose original equipment isn't around anymore.
post #2862 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnewbie123 View Post
Hi steveting99,
Hi AVSnewbie123,

The soft reset suggested by Steve required unplugging the power cord, not just turning the unit off. Using the off switch in computers/electronic systems often does not remove all power inside the box, keeping some circuits powered on. I'm not sure if you really got a soft reset on the unit with the power cord still plugged in. jdsmoothie will know better than I do.

Just a thought by a non-expert,

Regards, Ken (Retired)

Samsung 55H8000 TS02
Samsung BD-F7500 (2014)
Velodyne S-1200-B Subwoofer
post #2863 of 2864 Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM
585-645-1006

Soft Reset

^^
You are correct Sir. Unless the AVR power cord is unplugged, there is still power going to the unit in Standby mode and therefore no soft reset.

post #2864 of 2864 Old Today, 02:50 AM

Quote:
^^
You are correct Sir. Unless the AVR power cord is unplugged, there is still power going to the unit in Standby mode and therefore no soft reset.
Appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately, yes, I have unplugged the device from the wall power socket over night, as well as all other connections (HDMI, speakers etc. which may have been unnecessary). Have tried the "soft reset" several times.

The problem was partially fixed (picture but no sound or sound but no picture on the tv) several times by unplugging, and disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI connecting AVR with the TV. Since it was a partial fix, I did a Factory reset, but the Sound was lost during AUDYSSEY setup, and it could not be finished.

After another soft reset and factory reset, I got sound just from the TUNER source, but after around half an hour or so, the sound was completely lost, and has not returned since. (Tried a few more Factory and soft resets with no results).

I wrote to the online store to report a unit with defect and I am waiting for their response.

I would like to thank the forum members for support on resolving this issue!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread - Sr5008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page