The **OFFICIAL** Marantz SR5008, SR6008 and SR7008 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 2909 Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation Same Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSnewbie123 View Post
Yes, I have contacted them. Since I have already tried with another TV and another HDMI cable, they also suggested to send it to the shop and then further for repairs.

Hope the repair process wont last long.
Hi mate
Any news on your AVR
I ended with my Brand new purchased Marantz (SR7008) with the same symptoms
It didn't last a minute
and now I am

After unboxing I hooked it up to my tv and projector ( HDMI Main Zone m1,2) and turned the power on. but the video output (On-Screen Setup Assistance) was partially Pixelated and scrambled and lots of white dots were seen on both TV and screen. I canceled the On-Screen Setup and my HDMI Connected source ( PS3 and SAT ) now can be seen but again white dots and sparks repeatedly shown on both screen. I moved the HDMI out to the second zone and problem gone. I tried to Reset to factory and reinitialize the unit as instructed in manual. but no luck. Then after 1 hour of trial there is no video on none of the 3 HDMI Out...!!!!
even Marantz start-up logo does not display.... just No signal on all HDMIs
Receiver starts normally without any fault indication on power led or FP display , but no videos .
Remote and front panel control are responding except for setup button.
Again reset to factory setting did not help...
initially I suspected that this might be due to defective HDMI Board .but at the same time I had no more access to Setup Mode ... so I thought that there should be some sort of firmware issues.as long as I had no more GUI I went through the firmware update process via USB , but it had no effect.
I emailed the problem to the dealer and waiting for the response.
Meanwhile I appreciate any suggestion or comment...
Thanks (and sorry for my bad English)

PS: I bought this unit from a premium Marantz dealer in Nederland and took it to my country(IRAN) . you may realize how it is painful for me cuz have no easy access to the dealer or a service center .And if I have to return it for repair the shipment will cost me another AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2909 Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
"PS: I bought this unit from a premium Marantz dealer in Nederland and took it to my country(IRAN) . you may realize how it is painful for me cuz have no easy access to the dealer or a service center .And if I have to return it for repair the shipment will cost me another AVR."

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Your return issues make a problem I am having seem smaller in comparison.

Regards,
Mike
post #2883 of 2909 Old 08-25-2014, 08:01 AM

7008 Relays Clicking

I am having a problem with excessive relay clicking in my 7008. It started last week, and so far seems limited to only certain 5.1 content such as: "The Raid-Redemption" and HBO's "Band of Brothers". It happens continuously during the program--every few seconds as if you are changing from PLIIx Movie to Music, or vice-versa. Each click causes a momentary audio break. Very distracting! I have tried changing modes (I tried all of them with no effect), doing a couple of soft resets (unplugging the power cord for 15 minutes), and doing a microprocessor reset (page 241), all without success so far.

It may be purely coincidental, but I believe I got a firmware update the day this started. Marantz doesn't tell you when an update occurs, but I currently have: 5530-9646-1645. Thursday night I got a new screen message informing me that a new feature had been added which would allow me to control my Cable/Satellite from my Marantz remote. I didn't particularly want that feature, but the screen wasn't functional anyway. I couldn't navigate to any commands within the screen and I couldn't exit the screen. Even turning the 7008 off didn't help. The screen was still there, frozen and preventing me from doing anything else. I finally unplugged the unit which made the notification screen go away and I haven't seen it since. But the relay clicking problem stared immediately thereafter when I watched "The Raid-Redemption".

I do not, so far, have the problem with normal TV programs or with music--just with the two programs listed above. But whatever it is, I don't seem to be able to fix it. I have seen firmware updates screw things up in satellite boxes (DVR's) before, and I can't help wondering if there is a relationship between that "new feature", the frozen screen, and the relay problem which started right afterwards.

Has anybody else seen that "new feature" notification, or experienced any similar sorts of problems to the ones I am describing? If it is a firmware issue, we probably need to report it to Marantz. Perhaps they can fix it with the next update. Obviously, any other suggestions on what to do in the meantime would be very welcome. I can send it back for repair, but I am not quite ready to do that, particularly if it could be a firmware issue.

Thanks for any help,
Mike
post #2884 of 2909 Old 08-25-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Hi,

I have a Marantz SR-7008 A/V receiver, paired with Monitor Audio Silver 1 Front and Center speakers and Monitor Audio Radius 90 surround speakers.

I have run the Audyssey setup, and then checked the resulting Equalizer spectrum. I noticed that for several of the speakers the audio level compensation was up to +/- 10 dB for certain frequency ranges. So I just wonder if it is normal for the audio level compensation to be that high (+/- 10 dB)?

Also, if you have a Marantz receiver (or some other A/V receiver), what does the Audyssey Equalizer spectrum look like for your setup?
^^
You're not actually looking at the real Audyssey EQ, rather simply a very crude representation when viewing the Graphic EQ. Additionally, speakers can react very differently from one room to another.
Hmm... I'm not sure I follow. If it's not the Audyssey Graphic EQ, then what is it?

Of course it cannot show the the exact audio level compensation for each frequency, but it's still very easy to see at what frequency ranges are affected and how. For example it's very easy to see that the audio compensation level is +/- 10 dB for some frequency ranges. Or do you mean that this info is inaccurate?
post #2885 of 2909 Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
^^
I mean it's a very crude representation of the Audyssey and that we really don't know what the real Audyssey curve looks like.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2886 of 2909 Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I am having a problem with excessive relay clicking in my 7008. It started last week, and so far seems limited to only certain 5.1 content such as: "The Raid-Redemption" and HBO's "Band of Brothers". It happens continuously during the program--every few seconds as if you are changing from PLIIx Movie to Music, or vice-versa. Each click causes a momentary audio break. Very distracting! I have tried changing modes (I tried all of them with no effect), doing a couple of soft resets (unplugging the power cord for 15 minutes), and doing a microprocessor reset (page 241), all without success so far.

It may be purely coincidental, but I believe I got a firmware update the day this started. Marantz doesn't tell you when an update occurs, but I currently have: 5530-9646-1645. Thursday night I got a new screen message informing me that a new feature had been added which would allow me to control my Cable/Satellite from my Marantz remote. I didn't particularly want that feature, but the screen wasn't functional anyway. I couldn't navigate to any commands within the screen and I couldn't exit the screen. Even turning the 7008 off didn't help. The screen was still there, frozen and preventing me from doing anything else. I finally unplugged the unit which made the notification screen go away and I haven't seen it since. But the relay clicking problem stared immediately thereafter when I watched "The Raid-Redemption".

I do not, so far, have the problem with normal TV programs or with music--just with the two programs listed above. But whatever it is, I don't seem to be able to fix it. I have seen firmware updates screw things up in satellite boxes (DVR's) before, and I can't help wondering if there is a relationship between that "new feature", the frozen screen, and the relay problem which started right afterwards.

Has anybody else seen that "new feature" notification, or experienced any similar sorts of problems to the ones I am describing? If it is a firmware issue, we probably need to report it to Marantz. Perhaps they can fix it with the next update. Obviously, any other suggestions on what to do in the meantime would be very welcome. I can send it back for repair, but I am not quite ready to do that, particularly if it could be a firmware issue.

Thanks for any help,
Mike
This issue is not likely related to the firmware update but rather in fact an issue with the source audio especially as you indicated it was just a problem with two shows. This actually happened to me for the first time with my X4000 (sister model to the SR7008) over the weekend while watching a recorded show on my DVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #2887 of 2909 Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
This issue is not likely related to the firmware update but rather in fact an issue with the source audio especially as you indicated it was just a problem with two shows. This actually happened to me for the first time with my X4000 (sister model to the SR7008) over the weekend while watching a recorded show on my DVR.
JD,

I am sorry to hear that you are also experiencing the same problem with your Denon, but I am curious about the coincidence of timing for both of us. Do you have any idea what would be causing this to happen now? I have recorded and watched many HBO programs, including all episodes of Game of Thrones, and I have never had any trouble until Thursday of last week. The two of us are too small a sample to base any conclusions on (and I don't even know if Denon and Marantz release similar firmware updates, or release them close together). I can't think of any way to fix this, but it will be interesting to see if anyone else experiences it. Do you also have DirecTV?

Mike
post #2888 of 2909 Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, I have a DTV Genie box, but as I said, this is a "source" problem (an issue with the audio they are transmitting) so nothing to do with the AVR, especially as the last firmware update was back in March.

post #2889 of 2909 Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
^^
Yes, I have a DTV Genie box, but as I said, this is a "source" problem (an issue with the audio they are transmitting) so nothing to do with the AVR, especially as the last firmware update was back in March.
I also have a Genie. I wonder if a reset there would accomplish anything? No harm in trying I guess.
post #2890 of 2909 Old 08-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
^^
I mean it's a very crude representation of the Audyssey and that we really don't know what the real Audyssey curve looks like.
Sure, but it's enough to conclude that some frequency ranges have an audio level compensation of around +/- 10 dB, right? Since that's what the Graphic EQ shows in my case.

So I wonder if that is normal. What does the Audyssey Graphic EQ look like on other forum member's A/V receivers?

Last edited by Fjodor2000; 08-26-2014 at 08:53 AM.
post #2891 of 2909 Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Sure, but it's enough to conclude that some frequency ranges have an audio level compensation of around +/- 10 dB, right? Since that's what the Graphic EQ shows in my case.

So I wonder if that is normal. What does the Audyssey Graphic EQ look like on other forum member's A/V receivers?
I have seen others that were similar. You can have 20-30db peaks or dips in certain parts of the room depending on specific room modes. People on both this thread and the Audyssey thread have advised you to simply ignore those crude charts. Chris K., the inventor of Audyssey, has said that some of the AV makers added them against his wishes (he thinks they are useless) just to give us something sexy to look at.

The important thing is how your system sounds after calibration. And if you are really interested you can obtain measuring equipment (REW, for instance) to measure the pre- and post-Audyssey results to see what is actually happening, and to fine tune your calibration. I've never wanted to go that far down the rabbit hole, myself, but a lot of others have.
post #2892 of 2909 Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 AM

Hi
Any Idea in how to downgrade to previous firmware ... (SR7008)
The unit got no video after last update ....

Cheers
post #2893 of 2909 Old 08-27-2014, 03:07 AM
585-645-1006

^^
AFAIK, not possible. Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 241 Owner's manual).

post #2894 of 2909 Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
^^
AFAIK, not possible. Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 241 Owner's manual).
Tried that many times.but has no effect... I just wonder has anyone downloaded previous firmware
post #2895 of 2909 Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 AM
585-645-1006

^^
That would only be possible with a European model and then only if Marantz EU actually provides access to older versions .. although doing so could easily brick the unit.
itcvage likes this.

post #2896 of 2909 Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
^^
That would only be possible with a European model and then only if Marantz EU actually provides access to older versions .. although doing so could easily brick the unit.
Thanks
post #2897 of 2909 Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by itcvage View Post
Hi
Any Idea in how to downgrade to previous firmware ... (SR7008)
The unit got no video after last update ....

Cheers
When was your last update? What is the version # your 7008 is currently showing?
post #2898 of 2909 Old 08-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 76
^^ rodneyiii,

itcvage cannot even connect the SR-7008 to a TV and display the main menu (see post 2881), so he's unable to visually verify any of the settings on the receiver.

Looks like a return to Marantz is needed.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2899 of 2909 Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 AM

I updated last week (after open up the receiver box and got a glitchy Video )and since then there is no voice and video output .... but I still able to connect to its web control via my PC and even run the update and control all the features. It shows version 5530-9646-1650 which I guess the latest one.
post #2900 of 2909 Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I am having a problem with excessive relay clicking in my 7008.
I get that myself when watching cable, although it only happens during commercials and only on a couple channels. As jdsmoothie said it is an audio source issue, not a receiver issue. I only wish that the receiver could be set to a surround format and would use that regardless of how the incoming audio is coded for surround sound format.

JR
post #2901 of 2909 Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The AVR can only play what it receives ... so if the source signal keeps bouncing back and forth between stereo 2.0 and DD 5.1, the AVR has no choice but to bounce back from Stereo to DD or from DD PLII to DD as well depending on your configuration.

post #2902 of 2909 Old 08-29-2014, 03:49 PM

Liked: 10
Audyssey dinamyc volume Ligth setting

Hi Everyone.

I have the 5008sr model and i have been very happy with it to date. Everything is perfect but one thing. When i set Audyssey dinamyc volume to "ligth" some songs seems to up and down in volume in certain parts and i don't know if it is normal for me to notice it. I know this feature is about to keep volume steady but depending on the setting i think "Ligth" must be almost unnoticeable or so i think. One of the songs is Sting "All this time".

Is this normal?, because i had a Denon and i don't remember to have had that issue.

Thanks for your help.
post #2903 of 2909 Old 08-29-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Squeal Intermittently Coming Out all Speakers

My system will work fine for up to a week without issues, and then high pitched squealing and/or static-like noise will begin to be output all speakers. Sometimes clears by cycling receiver power, sometimes not. This is my second receiver from Marantz with this sound problem, and Marantz support thinks that primary suspect is environmental or configuration specific, not a receiver problem.

The problem started when I upgraded from an old Denon (no HDMI switching) to Marantz. The unit has been replaced once already.

Below is my latest attempt to diagnose.

Setup:

cable <1----HDMI----2> SR5008 ------speaker----> front left/right, center, surrount left/right
blu ray <3----MDMI----4> ------pre-out----> powered sub
TV <5----HDMI----6>

Where:

cable = Comcast Arris X1 DVR
blu ray = Panasonic BDT2200
TV = Panasonic VT60
speakers = Energy Encore 1,2, 8

Cabinet clearance:

top = 3”
left/right = 6”
back = 11”

Going off of the theory that the problem is result of a ground loop (though atypical high pitched sound vs typical low frequency hum), I went through the following steps in the presence of the squeal in an attempt to break all possible sources of a ground loop.

1. Lower volume to zero => squeal persists
2. Switch from cable to blu ray => squeal persists
3. Disconnect connection #1 (in diagram above) => squeal persists
4. Disconnect connection #3 => squeal persists
5. Disconnect connection #5 => squeal persists
6. Unplug TV => squeal persists
7. Unplug sub => squeal persists
8. Unplug cable => squeal persists
9. Disconnect connection #6 => squeal persists
10. Disconnect connection #4 => squeal persists
11. Disconnect connection #2 => squeal persists
12. Disconnect Ethernet cable => squeal stops

At this point, I plugged everything back in, and no squeal. The receiver was powered up this entire time. I then turned it back around (I was accessing connections in the back); the squeal returned simply by rotating it. I then reached over the top and wiggled enet cable, and I was able to get the squeal to come and go by wiggling, unplugging and reconnecting. At one point unplugging actually brought the squeal back. And then wiggling #2 and #4 also could cause squeal.

I wiggled until the squeal went away, but it will of course come back. Given squeal response just by wiggling cables (especially Ethernet which clearly should have no bearing), I have to think that the unit is faulty.

This event occurred in the afternoon of a comfortable day in Northern CA, not hot or cold. While the receiver is in a cabinet, the system was not hot when the incident occurred. It really hadn't been used all day.

Anybody seen anything like this? I would really appreciate ideas and suggestions.
post #2904 of 2909 Old 08-29-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
^^

As a first step I would replace the Ethernet cable.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #2905 of 2909 Old 08-30-2014, 04:44 AM
585-645-1006

@ JTJJNorCal

If the issue is still present when all inputs (to include the Ethernet cable) are disconnected, then issue is most likely with the AVR. However, if possible, try connecting to power in another room with a single speaker to see if the issue still presents.

post #2906 of 2909 Old 08-30-2014, 04:10 PM

My situation has deteriorated to the point where noise isfull time. Sometimes video is not present now as well. Interestingly, HDMI pass thru has functioned fine the entire time; turn thereceiver off, and the TV audio and TV speaker audio works just fine. I have now disconnected all cables except for 1 speaker, HDMI in (from cable) and HDMI out (to TV); turn on the receiver and static squeal presents itself. Tapping on the top of the receiver can sometimes cause the noise to go away.

I should have mentioned that all of my equipment is poweredvia a Monster home theater power center. Now that the receiver outputs static full time, I think it is too lateto experiment with extension cords. ButI’ll try anything to determine problem.

Marantz had me do some ohm meter measurements. This was done from the posts on the back ofreceiver, with receiver off and on:

Surround back left (zone2): off = 5.2 ohms, on = bouncing between0.2 and 1.5 ohms
Surround back right: same as left

Surround left: off (zone2) = 4.2 ohms, on = bouncing between0.1 and 3 ohms
Surround right: same as left

Center: off = 4.6 ohms, on = bouncing between 2.5 and 5 ohms

Front left: off = 3.7 ohms, on = bouncing between 3 and 6ohms
Front right: same as left

Marantz indicates the receiver needs to be repaired at thispoint. But they are indicating that theythink my home environment is somehow blowing out their receivers. They replaced the receiver once, thoughoriginal unit was refurbished and replacement was also B stock. First time I’ve ever regretted purchasingrefurbished unit.

Any reason to suspect my zone 2 speaker selector (Niles SVL-2)? Any way to exonerate it?

But I’m afraid that the receiver is going to failagain. Does anybody think that I need toincrease ventilation or add cooling system (http://www.coolerguys.com/cabinetcooling.html)? My system is in a closed cabinet.

Can anybody recommend a good AV installer/technician thatcan validate power, speaker wires, etc.? I live in a small city near Walnut Creek, CA. How can I determine whether or not this is a Marantz manufacturing issuevs something odd in my house?

Thanks in advance!
post #2907 of 2909 Old 08-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Just now completed JD's recommendation. Only cables connected are HDMI in from cable DVR, HDMI out to TV, and one speaker that does not go through the wall. I used a long extension cord to connect the AVR to power from another room. Turning on the AVR, the noise was immediately present. Tapping on the top of the AVR cause the noise to go away. I then tried yet another outlet in a different part of the house. Initially no noise after power up, and no noise after tapping. Power off. Wait a few minutes. Power up. Now there's noise again. Unplug the one and input (HDMI) did not terminate the noise, but plugging it back in did make it go away. Wiggling and reseating cables often causes the noise and clears it.

I also measured the output of the power center with a volt meter and I got 121 volts. I watched it for a minute and it fluctuated between 121.0 and 121.7 VAC. I'm not in a position to say that my house doesn't have power issues (though I'm unaware of any), but we certainly didn't with our previous Denon AVR, and nor do we with the other equipment plugged into power center (TV, cable DVR, blu ray, IVR blaster, gb Ethernet switch).

Given measurement of 121 at power center, and 122.1 and 122.3 at the other two outlets I tried, can I rest assured that this is not a power problem at this point?

And given that the noise was coming out of all speakers, with volume down to zero, can I rest assured that it is not a speaker wiring problem?

Marantz has set me up to get the unit repaired, and I really want to find someone that can determine if there is something environmental that is causing the problem. I fully appreciate Marantz's position regarding 2 different units having the same symptoms.

Feeling desperate in northern CA bay area!
post #2908 of 2909 Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Hi. I have marantz sr7008 and monitor audio bx6 bxcenter bx1 and bxfx and in my case audyssey also sets parameters as you are talking. If i look at the graphs i can also see that it boosted some frequencies for 10db...i will make a picture so you will see how it looks...can you post a picture too as i am curious too ;-)
post #2909 of 2909 Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJNorCal View Post
My situation has deteriorated to the point where noise isfull time. Sometimes video is not present now as well. Interestingly, HDMI pass thru has functioned fine the entire time; turn thereceiver off, and the TV audio and TV speaker audio works just fine. I have now disconnected all cables except for 1 speaker, HDMI in (from cable) and HDMI out (to TV); turn on the receiver and static squeal presents itself. Tapping on the top of the receiver can sometimes cause the noise to go away.

I should have mentioned that all of my equipment is poweredvia a Monster home theater power center. Now that the receiver outputs static full time, I think it is too lateto experiment with extension cords. ButI’ll try anything to determine problem.

Marantz had me do some ohm meter measurements. This was done from the posts on the back ofreceiver, with receiver off and on:

Surround back left (zone2): off = 5.2 ohms, on = bouncing between0.2 and 1.5 ohms
Surround back right: same as left

Surround left: off (zone2) = 4.2 ohms, on = bouncing between0.1 and 3 ohms
Surround right: same as left

Center: off = 4.6 ohms, on = bouncing between 2.5 and 5 ohms

Front left: off = 3.7 ohms, on = bouncing between 3 and 6ohms
Front right: same as left

Marantz indicates the receiver needs to be repaired at thispoint. But they are indicating that theythink my home environment is somehow blowing out their receivers. They replaced the receiver once, thoughoriginal unit was refurbished and replacement was also B stock. First time I’ve ever regretted purchasingrefurbished unit.

Any reason to suspect my zone 2 speaker selector (Niles SVL-2)? Any way to exonerate it?

But I’m afraid that the receiver is going to failagain. Does anybody think that I need toincrease ventilation or add cooling system (http://www.coolerguys.com/cabinetcooling.html)? My system is in a closed cabinet.

Can anybody recommend a good AV installer/technician thatcan validate power, speaker wires, etc.? I live in a small city near Walnut Creek, CA. How can I determine whether or not this is a Marantz manufacturing issuevs something odd in my house?

Thanks in advance!
You can exonerate the Niles by removing it from the signal chain and seeing if the the problem persists.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5008 , Marantz Sr7008 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread - Sr5008 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page