RX-V765 HDMI for video and Multi CH for audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the subject says, I have a Yamaha RX-v765 receiver. I want to run an HDMI cable from my computer to display the video but want to use the Multi Channel input for the audio. Everything I read says that the Multi Channel Input can only be used with AV 1-6 which will only take component or composite it looks like.

Please tell me there is a way to do this smile.gif

Thanks,
Scott

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I am not familiar with your receiver, but the MCH analog inputs are usually a selection that overrides the regular settings. They can be used with any video input. Selecting MCH analog simply tells the receiver to find the audio on the external inputs instead of the audio source configured for that input.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Is your computer not capable of sending multi-channel audio over HDMI?

Afro GT
post #4 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I am not familiar with your receiver, but the MCH analog inputs are usually a selection that overrides the regular settings. They can be used with any video input. Selecting MCH analog simply tells the receiver to find the audio on the external inputs instead of the audio source configured for that input.
According to the manual, if I am reading it correctly, it will only let you pick AV 1-6 or V-Aux. I didn't know if there was another way around it. Maybe I am reading it wrong, here is the page from the manual:

Quote:
Is your computer not capable of sending multi-channel audio over HDMI?
It is. I am trying to connect my computer to 2 different TV's and will toggle one off and one on at a time for using Windows Media Center. TV1 was connected HDMI and thru the receiver. TV2 was connected DVI with a separate analog audio cable not going thru the receiver.
The problem was when I switched off TV1 to TV2 everything was fine but switching back MCE had a fit with the audio and would eventually crash. It seemed to have something to do with having the HDMI audio connection and then not.
I figured if I used 3 separate audio cables (analog) to the Multi CH input on the receiver and split the front channel cable out before the receiver I could connect it to TV2.
This all seemed to work but I just could not get a picture on TV1 while in Multi CH mode.
I am sure this is confusing smile.gif

Scott
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
The manual does appear to say the MCH analog inputs can only be associated with analog video inputs. Of course, if you are feeding the video to the second display separately, then that limitation doesn't really matter. But, I must admit I am confused about what you are trying to accomplish and the difficulties you are running into.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I did not reply back to this sooner. Yeah I was over complicating things by trying to run 2 rooms/tv's off the one computer. I wound up just adding a 2nd computer (one for each TV) and things are working good now. I was trying to use the MCH inputs to bypass a problem I was having with Windows Media Center, but I have since found the solution to that problem so have no need for the MCH inputs right now.
After alot of testing I can only use the AV 1-6 or V-Aux video inputs with MCH...good to know for the future.

Thanks for replying back though.

Scott
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V765bl 665 Watt 7 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page