General question about AVR, soundbar, and AirPlay---equipment capabilities to look for - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-20-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had posted this in Soundbars, but it was suggested that I post it here.

Until we decide whether to install speakers in our bedroom, I thought we would use an AVR, TV, and soundbar. The question I have is about AVRs, in general, and AirPlay. My general understanding is that in order to watch TV with the soundbar, I would hook up cable->TV->soundbar with the TV speakers turned off. I suppose that this may be dependent on whether the soundbar is powered or not (my assumption is that most TVs don't have enough, or decent, wattage to adequately power a passive soundbar, so I assume I would be looking for a powered one, yes? (WRT to an AVR, I want to use it for switching sources as well as keeping equipment out of sight. In the future, I will likely convert to a 5.1 system and would use the AVR more like it is intended. Actually, I was looking at one that is WAY more than I would need at the moment, but would work well for the future for us, the Yamaha RX-820. However, one of the reasons to inquire is to know how much or how little I need in an AVR for the application above, however.

What would the hookup be using the soundbar to play music without the TV being on? Would I need to run an additional cable, and, if so, what kind?

The bottom line is what capabilities should I have in each piece of equipment in order to be assured of having what I have outlined? That will help me purchase enough, but not too much, capability in the AVR.

Thanks
Ken K
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page