Total NEWB needing help with AV Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-20-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I hate to even post this, because I know people ask all the time, and the answer will vary between everyone. However, I just purchased my first projector for my home theater and need to set up a home theater sound system.

I want to keep cost to a minimum, but want to get something that will last for a while as well. Was thinking of buying monoprice in wall and ceiling speakers and buying a receiver, but NO CLUE what i'm looking at between brands, etc.. What should I be looking for? It would be nice to be able to control through my Ipad but thats not a necessity?

Any help you could give this audio idiot would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
In my opinion, important features to consider:

5.1, 7.1 or more--how many speakers do you want to run? Even if you only have 5 speakers and a sub in your main room, you might still want a 7.1 because they have the capability to run a second pair of stereo speakers elsewhere in the home.

Networking--all by the most basic models these days have networking built-in. However, most do not have wi-fi built-in so you have to hook them up via ethernet cable or buy an adapter. Networking gets you (i) direct access to streaming services (pandora, etc.), (ii) Airplay and the ability to play files from your computers, (iii) control apps for apple and android phones/tablets, and (iv) easy firmware updates.

Room correction--software that adjusts the frequency curve for each speaker to try to adjust for your acoustic conditions. It uses a little microphone to do this. Many mfgrs use Audyssey; others (like Yamaha) use their own. Audyssey seems to be the leader.

HDMI standby pass-through--a lot of people like this. It gives you the ability to watch TV or a movie without turning on the receiver. Good for sleeping babies, nighttime viewing, etc., where you just want to listen through the TV's speakers. With your PJ though you might not care.

HDMI conversion--ability to take, e.g., component video (from an older DVD player, a Wii, etc.) and output it via the HDMI cable along with your other HDMI sources. Otherwise they just pass the video in whatever form it was sent and you have to run several sets of cables to your projector/TV.

Budget--how much are you willing to spend? If you have $1000 to spend, you'll get everything you need--just take your pick of the 2013 models. If you want to limit it to $300 or $500, then you'll have to make some choices.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
A nice budget setup would be the Denon E300 + Energy Take 5.1 Classic speakers/sub ....

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374488510&sr=8-1&keywords=energy+take+classic+5.1

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 10 Old 07-22-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyville View Post

I hate to even post this, because I know people ask all the time, and the answer will vary between everyone. However, I just purchased my first projector for my home theater and need to set up a home theater sound system.

I want to keep cost to a minimum, but want to get something that will last for a while as well. Was thinking of buying monoprice in wall and ceiling speakers and buying a receiver, but NO CLUE what i'm looking at between brands, etc.. What should I be looking for? It would be nice to be able to control through my Ipad but thats not a necessity?

Any help you could give this audio idiot would be appreciated. Thanks.

How big is your room and what is your real budget?

Also, is this just for home theater or will you be listening to music too?

Thanks.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

How big is your room and what is your real budget?

Also, is this just for home theater or will you be listening to music too?

Thanks.

Thanks Everyone for the responses. The room will be a dedicated home theatre, but a smaller one.. Roughly 13 x 15.. As far as budget, I really don't have one, but can't see myself spending more than $750 or so on the speakers + Receiver.

We will not be listening to much music in this room, as it will be a dedicated home theater, but I have read that some receivers have a zone 2, that might allow music to be be played in another room as well. That might be something I'm interested in.?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Everyone for the responses. The room will be a dedicated home theatre, but a smaller one.. Roughly 13 x 15.. As far as budget, I really don't have one, but can't see myself spending more than $750 or so on the speakers + Receiver.

We will not be listening to much music in this room, as it will be a dedicated home theater, but I have read that some receivers have a zone 2, that might allow music to be be played in another room as well. That might be something I'm interested in.?

At that budget, I would probably start with the front three, sub and receiver.

Maybe some Polks, Primus or Pioneers.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Any specific receiver you would suggest?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-22-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any specific receiver you would suggest?

A refurbed Denon 1612 or 1613 from here:

https://www.accessories4less.com/index.php
post #9 of 10 Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

I'm currently looking at a Onkyo TX-NR616 or a DENON AVR-1913.

Both of which are 299.99 Refurbished.

Any thoughts on those two units??? And am I taking too much of a risk for a refurb... on Amazon for another $60 I can get a new unit?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm currently looking at a Onkyo TX-NR616 or a DENON AVR-1913.

Both of which are 299.99 Refurbished.

Any thoughts on those two units??? And am I taking too much of a risk for a refurb... on Amazon for another $60 I can get a new unit?

It looks like you are talking about the Onkyo at Amazon.

I think most people here would prefer the Denon for the Audyssey MultEQ.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page