Emotiva Amp Faulting - Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello all. I had my Emotiva XPA-5 delivered Friday and was playing with it today. I was only using 2 channels channels of audio. I was playing Dark Side of the Moon -Breathe. At approximately 1:25 in, when the vocals started, my amp faulted on Channel 1. I reset the amp, replayed the song, achieved the same fault.

My first troubleshooting step was to solder the banana plugs. The amp still faulted on Channel 1. My next step was to switch the speakers. The same fault occurred, this time on Channel two.

This leads me to think that something might be going on with that speaker. I am running an Infinity Studio Monitor 152 pair that are 20 years old and have never had any maintenance (as they have functioned fine with the 21 year old Yamaha RXV-1070). The gain level of the amp during the failures was ~ 64. I played the same song at a 54 gain and there were no issues.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Once again, I am thinking speaker, but could if be the amp? If it is a speaker issue, I may have some ammunition with the wife to upgrade my speaker system ;-) I do have my eye on the Aperion Versus Grand line.

Once again, thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Liked: 16
Call them. They after service is generally very good.

post #3 of 5 Old 07-21-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From your explanation of the tests you've already done it sounds like you have a bad speaker. Getting the same problem to happen on different amplifier channels with that same speaker is proof. If you switch that speaker to yet another amplifier channel I bet it will cause the same fault. The speaker probably has a bad voice coil.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for response SS and DB. I guess next test is to swap out to different speakers.

If the issue would be a bad voice coil, any idea how much of a cost might be involved in the repair? Next question would be If I was to do one speaker, would I want to do the other?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-21-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since those speakers are old I don't think you will be able to get exact replacement drivers. You also can't fix a voice coil. Once it goes bad you need to replace the driver as a unit. You should be able to find a suitable replacement from Parts Express. If they have something that is close to the original part you will be fine. You should replace the same parts in both speakers to make them the same. You can do a test with a multimeter on the speaker driver. You would need to test the good speaker to compare the readings on the bad speaker. The readings from both speakers most likely wont be the same when you have a bad speaker.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page