Can't get Denon AVR-1713 volume past a certain level for different movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've got kind of a weird issue here. I've searched all over these forums and everywhere else, and I can't find an answer, so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my unit. I have a Denon AVR-1713 hooked up to Ascend CMT-340 SE L/R/C and a PSA XV15 sub. The speakers and receiver are all new within the last 2 weeks or so.

We've watched two movies in the last week, and both of them topped out at a certain volume level, but each one was different. For example, last night we watched Batman Begins. and I could only adjust the volume up to -11 dB before it wouldn't go any further. I know the AVR has a volume limiter feature, but that's turned off. I checked the settings in our BD player (Panasonic DMP-BD605), but I couldn't find anything useful there.

The limiting level isn't always consistent, though. We watched Star Trek earlier in the week, and that one topped out at -16 or -16.5 dB.

Music doesn't exhibit this problem. I can crank that up as loud as I want, but I have to stop well below the max because it gets painfully loud.

What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 07:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Try doing a soft reset by setting the AVR to standby and unplugging it for 10 minutes. When you ran Audyssey, at what volume levels were your speaker set? Are you using the Source Level (p. 94 OM) setting for any of your sources?

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 Owners linked in my sig ... review posts #3-6 for additional helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I'll try a soft reset and check the sources config later today. For the Audyssey calibration, is there any control over the volume level? I had the sub at 12 o'clock like it asked for.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 02:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
You should really review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig to ensure you are properly running the Audyssey setup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 11 Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so I reviewed the Audyssey 101 guide, and I did everything correctly the first two times I ran it. (I ran it once, moved some furniture around, and then ran it again later.) I'm pretty familiar with Audyssey since I have an older Onkyo HT-RC160 that has 2EQ.

And speaking of that RC160, I did a little testing for the sake of comparison. I swapped out the Denon and hooked up everything to the Onkyo, and the problem has gone away. I used the same source material as the other night (Batman Begins BD), and it went noticeably louder.

I'm now considering returning the Denon and keeping the serviceable Onkyo. The Onkyo doesn't have AirPlay or MultEQ XT, but it works.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with Denon tech support. The rep I spoke to was just as mystified as I am and tried to blame it on the BD player. When I explained that I isolated the problem to the receiver, he suggested increasing the speaker levels in speaker settings. I asked if a microprocessor reset would help, and he said maybe.

I'm still within the return window on this AVR-1713, so I'm thinking of dumping it and going with a Pioneer SC-1222-K, Pioneer SC-1522-K, or Yamaha HTR-7065 instead.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

At this point, the problem seems related to Audyssey somehow. I did a microprocessor reset last night and didn't run Audyssey calibrations after powering on the unit, and I could push the volume way past a reasonable level. I'm wondering if it was Dynamic Volume specifically that was to blame, but I hope to answer that question tonight.

If I can't use Audyssey and run it louder than before, this thing is still going back.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterOfFact View Post

At this point, the problem seems related to Audyssey somehow. I did a microprocessor reset last night and didn't run Audyssey calibrations after powering on the unit, and I could push the volume way past a reasonable level. I'm wondering if it was Dynamic Volume specifically that was to blame, but I hope to answer that question tonight.

If I can't use Audyssey and run it louder than before, this thing is still going back.

Did you turn off Dynamic Volume (leaving MultiEQ XT enabled) and try it?
post #9 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

Did you turn off Dynamic Volume (leaving MultiEQ XT enabled) and try it?

Not yet... smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterOfFact View Post

I'm wondering if it was Dynamic Volume specifically that was to blame, but I hope to answer that question tonight.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
It sounds like you solved the "problem" without realizing it. smile.gif
post #11 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

It sounds like you solved the "problem" without realizing it. smile.gif
I wish! This is truly bizarre. I think there might actually, legitimately be something wrong with my unit.

I reset the microprocessor 3-4 times last night and didn't run any calibrations afterward. I could adjust the volume throughout the entire range of the volume bar (-78 dB to 18 dB or whatever the range is). I had to stop around 0 dB because it was getting painful.

Tonight, I ran fresh Audyssey calibrations. I turned off Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ immediately after calibrating. On two separate BDs (Batman Begins and Dark Knight), the volume bar refused to go higher than -7 dB. It was actually somewhat difficult to hear quiet dialogue parts. When I turned Audyssey completely off, the volume bar unlocked and I could push it past -7 dB.

So, yeah... I'll be opening an RMA with TigerDirect tomorrow.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page