Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 116 Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1 View Post

So my ROKU is routed through the V473 via HDMI and I get DD+ through HBO Go, but only PCM through Netflix. TiVo and my BDP-S590 also output DD+ Netflix through the V473 just fine.

What's up with that?
You have to tell Netflix you want to output DD+. Pick a show or movie that's listed as DD+ and click on sound options. Once you have set it every title that has Dolby Digital or DD+ will automatically default to the DD/DD+ soundtrack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 05-11-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post

You have to tell Netflix you want to output DD+. Pick a show or movie that's listed as DD+ and click on sound options. Once you have set it every title that has Dolby Digital or DD+ will automatically default to the DD/DD+ soundtrack.
Well if it's that simple, shame on me. I'll give it a shot later. I got so accustomed to fixing catastrophic AV issues that I didn't see a simple setting right in front of my face.

Thanks for the response.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #93 of 116 Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Anyone notice the disparity among audio tracks on blu-ray? I put in Doom on blu-ray with a DTS-Master Audio Track and the sound was great. It was full, loud, in my face and had plenty of punch. My Yamaha Receiver was at -12db. Receiver is on Straight and has been calibrated with YPAO. I put in Star Trek: into darkness (Dolby True-HD) blu-ray and have to turn my receiver up to -4db and it's still not equal to the Doom blu-ray in overall loudness and punch. Voices sounded too "chesty" at that loudness as well. Most of my blu-ray collection is great/good at -9db or -11db but there are many that sound bad even when cranked up. What really drives me mad is that some of the quiet audio tracks are big movies like Thor2. Very low/quiet audio.

Ender's Game blu-ray was very quiet. Even during loud action it was lacking punch. A $5 Ice Age Christmas blu-ray (DTS-MA) from Best Buy had better audio than Thor 2, Ender's Game, and Star Trek 2. At -14db it felt and sounded like I was sitting in a movie theater. I thought it might be my system but i have plenty of movies that sound incredibly nice. Anyone else notice this or is it normal?
post #94 of 116 Old 05-19-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

Receiver is on Straight and has been calibrated with YPAO. I put in Star Trek: into darkness (Dolby True-HD) blu-ray and have to turn my receiver up to -4db and it's still not equal to the Doom blu-ray in overall loudness and punch.
I set my DSP Program to 5CH Stereo to get Dolby True-HD. Do you have a 5.1SS system? Those db levels are WAY lower than anything I've watched at. I keep mine in the -30 range with plenty of punch...but I may be in a smaller room. This is all subjective. When I switch from Straight to 5CH, the sound changes dramatically.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #95 of 116 Old 05-19-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:

Anyone notice the disparity among audio tracks on blu-ray? I put in Doom on blu-ray with a DTS-Master Audio Track and the sound was great. It was full, loud, in my face and had plenty of punch. My Yamaha Receiver was at -12db. Receiver is on Straight and has been calibrated with YPAO. I put in Star Trek: into darkness (Dolby True-HD) blu-ray and have to turn my receiver up to -4db and it's still not equal to the Doom blu-ray in overall loudness and punch. Voices sounded too "chesty" at that loudness as well. Most of my blu-ray collection is great/good at -9db or -11db but there are many that sound bad even when cranked up. What really drives me mad is that some of the quiet audio tracks are big movies like Thor2. Very low/quiet audio.

Ender's Game blu-ray was very quiet. Even during loud action it was lacking punch. A $5 Ice Age Christmas blu-ray (DTS-MA) from Best Buy had better audio than Thor 2, Ender's Game, and Star Trek 2. At -14db it felt and sounded like I was sitting in a movie theater. I thought it might be my system but i have plenty of movies that sound incredibly nice. Anyone else notice this or is it normal?

Have you checked whether your device was outputting the Dolby TrueHD track or the Dolby Digital on those releases? I know that my PS3 sometimes has trouble with Dolby TrueHD discs and has to be manually switched to the HD track.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 PM 800s for surrounds.
post #96 of 116 Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I set my DSP Program to 5CH Stereo to get Dolby True-HD. Do you have a 5.1SS system? Those db levels are WAY lower than anything I've watched at. I keep mine in the -30 range with plenty of punch...but I may be in a smaller room. This is all subjective. When I switch from Straight to 5CH, the sound changes dramatically.

I do have a 5.1 system. Some DD-True HD movies sound fine although lower in output compared to DTS-MA. I thought 5ch. stereo just put dialogue and action in all 5 speakers at once? That's not the same as a 5.1 presentation the movie has.

I've always been dumbfounded on why my receiver starts at -65db and ends at +16db but the best range is -9 or -12db. It could be my speakers. I have bookshelfs for mains and satellites for surrounds. Maybe they're just too small. Planning on Rti-a7 from Polk in the near future.
post #97 of 116 Old 05-19-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I do have a 5.1 system. Some DD-True HD movies sound fine although lower in output compared to DTS-MA. I thought 5ch. stereo just put dialogue and action in all 5 speakers at once? That's not the same as a 5.1 presentation the movie has.
Yeah...I think you're right. I just seem to recall not seeing the DTS-MA or DD-True HD on the display unless I had it on 5CH. I still hear some surround sound, but I think it is as you described with it outputting in all 5 speakers at once. I'll check again next time I play a DTS movie.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #98 of 116 Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

It could be my speakers. I have bookshelfs for mains and satellites for surrounds. Maybe they're just too small. Planning on Rti-a7 from Polk in the near future.

Do you know the impedance and sensitivity ratings of your current speakers?

post #99 of 116 Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Do you know the impedance and sensitivity ratings of your current speakers?

Yea. I matched the receiver with my speakers impedance. I don't know the sensitivity though.
post #100 of 116 Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I thought 5ch. stereo just put dialogue and action in all 5 speakers at once? That's not the same as a 5.1 presentation the movie has.
So I was playing around with 5CH Stereo and Straight settings last night and think I've missed the boat. Definitely a face in palm incident after I streamed the 1st Spider Man movie last night from Netflix and my rear surround speakers were doing their job properly (with DSP set to Straight). Since 5Ch pushed so much sound, I had previously left it on at all times since I had to jack up the volume levels for Straight in comparison. Basically, Straight just presents the audio as intended while 5CH is more for music...correct? This bumps my listening level to -23 to -28db for Straight in lieu of the -35 to -40db I was listening at 5CH. Straight = Much more from the front speakers and only the rear when 5.1 is needed or available...correct?

Do you guys use the Straight DSP setting for everything or mess around with the presets? Do you ever use 5CH? I am going to have to force myself to get over the 5CH audio which is much louder but not accurate 5.1.

On another note, I'm still having issues with that firmware update I did via USB. Every now and then I'll get a purple hue for video or lose DTS decoding and have to run the firmware update through setup (even though it is already updated) to correct it. You think there is any point in running the USB firmware update again? Doesn't look like Yamaha is sending out anymore so I'm probably stuck with this issue. Wish I'd left well enough alone before 1.16.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #101 of 116 Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:

So I was playing around with 5CH Stereo and Straight settings last night and think I've missed the boat. Definitely a face in palm incident after I streamed the 1st Spider Man movie last night from Netflix and my rear surround speakers were doing their job properly (with DSP set to Straight). Since 5Ch pushed so much sound, I had previously left it on at all times since I had to jack up the volume levels for Straight in comparison. Basically, Straight just presents the audio as intended while 5CH is more for music...correct? This bumps my listening level to -23 to -28db for Straight in lieu of the -35 to -40db I was listening at 5CH. Straight = Much more from the front speakers and only the rear when 5.1 is needed or available...correct?

Do you guys use the Straight DSP setting for everything or mess around with the presets? Do you ever use 5CH? I am going to have to force myself to get over the 5CH audio which is much louder but not accurate 5.1.

On another note, I'm still having issues with that firmware update I did via USB. Every now and then I'll get a purple hue for video or lose DTS decoding and have to run the firmware update through setup (even though it is already updated) to correct it. You think there is any point in running the USB firmware update again? Doesn't look like Yamaha is sending out anymore so I'm probably stuck with this issue. Wish I'd left well enough alone before 1.16.

Straight is definitely better than any of the DSP Settings for Movies, (Blu-Ray, DVD, Cable/Sat, and Netflix).  If you want to use the DSP Settings for Games or Music that's fine.  I'll sometimes use 5ch for older shows or music related shows and it will sound better.  Fox has a lot of their shows presented in a 5ch Format.  Seinfeld, the Middle, TMZ, etc.. is in 5ch. Stereo.   

post #102 of 116 Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 PM

Liked: 10
sir i just bougth my yamaha 573 ..but i dont have on screen display over my plasma ...is there something wrong on my reciever?

i like to tweak my reciever is there recomendation setting?
post #103 of 116 Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I believe that the OSD is only displayed when the receiver is outputting 1080i or 1080p. This means that if either (i) you're passing through a source that is 720p or lower, or (ii) your TV doesn't accept 1080i/1080p (I think that some very early plasmas didn't), then you won't get the OSD.

What source are you using, and what model TV do you have?

post #104 of 116 Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post
I believe that the OSD is only displayed when the receiver is outputting 1080i or 1080p. This means that if either (i) you're passing through a source that is 720p or lower, or (ii) your TV doesn't accept 1080i/1080p (I think that some very early plasmas didn't), then you won't get the OSD.

What source are you using, and what model TV do you have?
im using samsung 43d4900 720p resolution

do i need to upgrade the firmware of the avreciever?

do u have any recomendation for the settings
post #105 of 116 Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The receiver just passes through whatever resolution it receives from the source and can be accepted by the TV. There is no receiver setting or firmware upgrade that can fix your problem. If your TV can only receive 720p, or your source can only output 720p, then the receiver will never be able to display the OSD.

post #106 of 116 Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
The receiver just passes through whatever resolution it receives from the source and can be accepted by the TV. There is no receiver setting or firmware upgrade that can fix your problem. If your TV can only receive 720p, or your source can only output 720p, then the receiver will never be able to display the OSD.
tnx for quick response
post #107 of 116 Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I updated to firmware 1.16 yesterday (from 1.14), following instructions in HTR-4065 Firmware Updating Procedure document, using file R0305-116.bin as the only file on a USB drive. After a while, message "UPDATE SUCCESS" displayed, followed by "Please power off!". After cycling power, I went to "Setup / Network Update" to verify the firmware version. It didn't show 1.16, it showed ERROR.

So, I tried the instructions in Troubleshooting Case 2 for "Recovery method using USB method". Again, I got the message "UPDATE SUCCESS" and a request to power off. After cycling power again, it *still* shows firmware version as ERROR.

I updated because often when powering on the unit it couldn't find my DLNA server. For about 10 minutes, the front panel displayed "LOADING . . .". That doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, and since the notes for 1.16 say it improves DLNA connectivity, it seems to be working.

Should I simply disregard the "ERROR" in firmware version, or is there something I need to do?

Thanks.
post #108 of 116 Old 07-08-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I haven't heard of the firmware ERROR issue before. But if everything works, then I say leave it alone.

post #109 of 116 Old 10-03-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I haven't heard of the firmware ERROR issue before. But if everything works, then I say leave it alone.
Still having issues with this receiver, such as:

Purple hue for video display and sporadic dropping of sound from sources (TiVo, ROKU -mostly Netflix). All equipment is routed through receiver. The only fix has been to go into the AVR setup menu and run the firmware update again. I originally did a USB update for version 1.16 as it was the only way to update. Now the receiver goes through the online firmware motions and displays "Update Success" even though it is not really performing a new update.

Voila, audio and video are fixed. This is why I assume it was the firmware update causing the problems as I had no issues for a year prior to the 1.16 update. I am planning on performing another 1.16 firmware update via different flashdrive but wanted to know if anyone sees any problems with doing this? I doubt it fixes anything, but I have to try something. Basically, I'm curious if anyone thinks it a problem to do a USB update with the same firmware version that is technically supposed to already be on there?

Thanks.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #110 of 116 Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have you tried doing a hard reset to factory settings right after you update the firmware?

post #111 of 116 Old 10-06-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Have you tried doing a hard reset to factory settings right after you update the firmware?
No...not directly after the 1.16 update. I have however reset the unit to factory settings while trying to troubleshoot the issues previously listed. It fixed the problem...temporarily, just like the setup menu software update does. You and I both know how much time is put into getting the settings right for your room. So with that said, would you recommend doing a factory reset directly after reinstalling the 1.16 via USB for the second time?

I emailed Yamaha support to ask the same question I posted here so I should get a response soon(whatever that's worth). I just basically want to know if there is any issue or point to reinstall (via USB) the same firmware that is currently running. Any possible damage that can be done?

Yamaha has never heard of my issue and I haven't read about it anywhere. I'm convinced it is the Yamaha AVR and have suspicions that the firmware update caused it.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #112 of 116 Old 10-07-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Agree that it's a PITA to restore all of your settings, but as a one-time exercise that could save you a lot of future headaches, it might be worth it.

post #113 of 116 Old 11-17-2014, 01:50 AM

Hello all.

I recently bought a Yamaha HTR-4064 (RX-V473) but I have some problems using Airplay.
I have the remote app on my iPad and I can operate the receiver. Everything works nicely : NET radio, server (i can browse my internal network and choose UPNP devices) except for Airplay.

When I play music on my iPad using Spotify for exapmple or via iTunes store, the receiver isn't recognized as an Airplay receiver.
Funniest thing IMO is that when I use the Yamaha app it finds my iPad (using the icon in the uppermost right corner) and I can play the songs which are store on it.

I have a windows laptop here as well and I use a tool called TuneBlade (it captures the music played on the machine and streams it to an Airplay capable device) but this tool also cannot see my receiver.

Receiver is wired to the router, iPad is wireless and the Windows machine is also wirelessly connected.
Firmware on the receiver is up to date.
I unplugged it, switched it off and on, gave it a static IP address, reset the router, switched on the receiver first and the router last (and vice versa) and still no luck...

I'm clueless.

Thanks in advance for any help
post #114 of 116 Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 AM

When I updated my iPhone to iOS 8, I started having trouble with AirPlay. I previously had no issues linking to the V473. Were you ever able to get AirPlay to work with the AVR prior to iOS 8? If you just recently got the AVR, you may not know...I am making a lot of assumptions here.

I'd say power the phone on/off and try again. This may be an apple issue. Another option is to reset your phone network settings, but that's a crappy option that you probably don't want to do.

I was eventually able to get AirPlay back after multiple power cycles.

Hope this helps.
post #115 of 116 Old 11-17-2014, 03:32 PM

My sub doesn't have a crossover knob and my receiver has always calibrated with the crossover at 80Hz. I bought a new TV and had to move stuff around but all the speakers and sub are generally in the same spot. I calibrated using YPAO today and everything was as expected but it set my crossover at 120Hz. My speakers can handle 80Hz. Any thoughts? Also, if i manually change it from 120Hz to 80Hz, is that the same as YPAO doing it or will I mess up the settings? Thanks.
post #116 of 116 Old 11-18-2014, 03:09 PM

Hi,
Sinds i updated the firmware to version 1.16 my receiver can not connect to my DLNA server anymore. I have tried everything, installed a new DLNA (PLEX) server, did not help. Other devices do can connect but the HTR-4065 not.
I want to put the old firmware 1.14 back into my receiver but can not find it on the Yamaha site.
Please can anyone send me the old 1.14 firmware.

Greetings,
Ferdy
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V573 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V473 by PriceGrabber.com