Official Yamaha RX-V473 / RX-V573 / HTR-4065 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 108 Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
These 2012 Yamaha AVR models never got the love or dedicated thread that they deserve, especially considering their Amazon sales rank and Costco sales.

So, in honor of the latest firmware release, version 1.16, in June 2013, I'm starting this thread for them (only a year late!).

The RX-V473 and HTR-4065 are identical, with the former just being rebadged as the latter for sale at discount retailers. The RX-V573 adds 7.1-channel support.

Some previous discussions on these models:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430943/yamaha-htr-4065-from-costco/0_50

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458188/yamaha-rx-v473-and-rx-v573-review/0_50

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451575/new-yamaha-rx-v573-arc-and-handshake-problems-in-new-av-set-up-considering-return-of-unit-please-help/0_50

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464343/yamaha-rx-v475-vs-rx-v473

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Regarding firmware version 1.16, it didn't show up as a network update in the on-screen menus (no little envelope icon), but I downloaded it and installed it via USB drive without incident. It didn't clear out any of my input names or presets.

It claims to improve DNLA and Airplay performance. I tested it with my DLNA server and it seemed fine. (I never had a problem with Airplay.)

Has anyone else updated to firmware version 1.16, for better or worse?

post #3 of 108 Old 07-27-2013, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the RX V 473 two days ago. I upgraded it to the latest firmware 1.16 today. I can Airplay from the Music Player directly from my iPad3 (6.1.3) and iPhone 5(6.1.4). However the AV Player APP is unable to detect the receiver. I have checked the DHCP settings and also able to ping the receiver. Even tried entering the Receiver IP address manually in the APP without any luck.

I was in 1.14 version and after seeing on the Yamaha forum which quotes "Improved connectivity and stability with the AV Controller App", I promptly downloaded the firmware and upgraded without any luck.

P.S: The receiver was not detected by the AV app in 1.14 also but the Airplay was working. Please Help !!!
post #4 of 108 Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When you say "Music Player" on the iPad, I assume that you're talking about iTunes, right? For the other one, the "AV Player App," do you mean the "AV Controller App"--i.e., the one that controls the volume and switches inputs, etc.?

The first thing to do is make sure that Network Standby is enabled.

post #5 of 108 Old 07-28-2013, 05:34 PM

Liked: 11
Good timing as I just picked one up two days ago. Actually bought two, first was a used one from Amazon that didn't work. Looked online and found Best Buy had them on clearance for $199, sold! Second one works perfectly so far. Everything is connected and working with ARC and standby passthrough. Airplay works fine as well. Sound is good by I haven't run the microphone optimization deal yet. Very pleased so far and I had expectations coming from a Denon 1612 that lightning killed.
post #6 of 108 Old 07-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Thank you JBWIII. You are right about iTunes and AV controller app. Here are my settings in the receiver.
1. On the Router I have reserved a dedicated IP for the receiver. Though DHCP is enabled, I always get the same IP.
2. Mac Filter is off.
3. Network Standby is ON
4. All the equipment are on the same wireless network.
Router IP is 192.168.1.1
iPhone 5 gets 192.168.1.2
Ipad 3 gets 192.168.1.3
Yamaha 473 gets 192.168.1.15 (reserved on router)

With this when I open the AV controller app, it does not detect the receiver. Tried entering the IP manually several times i.e. 192.168.1.15. I just get the failed exclamation mark in Yellow frown.gif

Yesterday I downloaded Roomie Remote from the App Store. It too didn't detect the player automatically. However when I entered the IP manually, it recognised the receiver. The only difference here was it also asked me to enter the port number along with the IP which is 50000 in this case (not the default 80 as per the app provider). With this app I am able to program and use the receiver for USB control, AirPlay, HDMI etc.,. This proves that the receiver does not have any problem.

Which brings me back to the original problem - the AV controller App. Why isn't it recognising the receiver ?
In fact with the same AV controller app on my iphone I was able to hook onto the same receiver model at the showroom with a unit that was on display. But it simply refuses to work with my new set at home.

I am at my wits end frown.gif - this is one of the main features which made me buy the receiver in the first place.
Please let me know what else I can try !
post #7 of 108 Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM

I just got the HTR-4065 a couple weeks ago and was really surprised in the difference in sound between it and my old Pioneer receiver. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. Even with the PEQ off the HTR-4065 seems to have a much fuller sound. With it on, it really bumps up the very low frequencies. To my ears, it sounds like it's boosting frequencies quite a bit at about 30Hz and below. I have the original Andrew Jones Pioneer Speakers with the towers for the front and the subwoofer and rear bookshelves and the explosions and other sound effects in movies have sounded very realistic. I was really surprised at how much better it made the little sub sound. I'm not sure what I think about the PEQ for music though. I have recordings that I'm very familiar that sounded so much different that I remember them sounding like. I think it actually sounds more like the band is right in my living room but it's kind of strange to hear that much bass on recordings that I didn't even remember having much bass. I found it kind of fatiguing to listen to at volumes I would typically listen to these recordings.
post #8 of 108 Old 08-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Update - Yamaha replaced the unit for me. Everything works now. great response by both Thomsun House and Yamaha service. People show genuine concern and are very helpful.
post #9 of 108 Old 08-10-2013, 04:52 PM

Watching TV and listening to Radio simultaneously
I gave myself a RX-V573 for Christmas last year. Really like it so far and have got it set up to my environment. However, football season has now arrived and I would like to be able to watch the game while listening to the radio play-by-play. Unfortunately when I select 'radio' I lose the TV picture.

Has anyone been able to successfully set up the RX-Vx73 in this manner?
post #10 of 108 Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytailspin View Post

Watching TV and listening to Radio simultaneously
I gave myself a RX-V573 for Christmas last year. Really like it so far and have got it set up to my environment. However, football season has now arrived and I would like to be able to watch the game while listening to the radio play-by-play. Unfortunately when I select 'radio' I lose the TV picture.

Has anyone been able to successfully set up the RX-Vx73 in this manner?

There's an option in the Options menu called Video Out that does exactly this--selects the video to be output when the radio is on.

post #11 of 108 Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Bought a 473 recently and a great set in all. For an audio out from Sky box to the amp, somehow doesn't give great sound, though connected via an optical cable. Any other tips on using the scenes or other features. Also discovered use of NET Radio and use of bookmarks using (http://yradio.vtuner.com/).
post #12 of 108 Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What do you mean "doesn't give great sound?" What's wrong with it, specifically?

post #13 of 108 Old 08-18-2013, 05:37 PM

Thank-you JBWIII. Can't believe I made two passes through the manual and missed this both times!
post #14 of 108 Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 AM

Any good tips and tricks you guys are using? all I did was update firmware and use wpo settings? Sounds really good but just wondering if you guys changed anything after that.
post #15 of 108 Old 09-30-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you've done the firmware upgrade and run YPAO, I think that's the extent of it. You might try different sound programs ("Sci-Fi" and the like) but I don't like the extra reverb. My view is that it's not up to the receiver to change the sound in any way; only to amplify it and, via YPAO, try to flatten the response curve for the listener. So I'd just leave it on Straight and enjoy it.

post #16 of 108 Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

If you've done the firmware upgrade and run YPAO, I think that's the extent of it. You might try different sound programs ("Sci-Fi" and the like) but I don't like the extra reverb. My view is that it's not up to the receiver to change the sound in any way; only to amplify it and, via YPAO, try to flatten the response curve for the listener. So I'd just leave it on Straight and enjoy it.
Thats exactly what I do. I have one problem though, not sure if its the speakers or receiver but when watching a movie and I have it kinda low everything will be sounding good but lets say a action seen just starts, it gets alot louder most of the time. This is only a problem when the kids are sleeping any suggestions anyone?
post #17 of 108 Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's just how action movies (especially ones on Blu-ray/DVD) are mixed. If you set the volume so that dialogue is at a normal volume, the sound effects will blow you away. This might be a good thing or, if you have sleeping kids, a bad thing. On the other hand if you turn it down so that effects are at a normal level, dialogue is usually too quiet.

There are a few things you can do. First, you could go into the speaker menu and crank up your center. But that isn't a good solution for all listening modes so I wouldn't do that. Instead I'd try A DRC and/or Dynamic Range. Look them up in your manual. Adaptive DRC reduces volume highs and lows for all audio sources. There is also a function called Dynamic Range that reduces volume highs and lows for bitstream audio only (i.e., Dolby Digital or DTS). I don't know what the functional difference between these two is. Try them out and see if they help. (And let me know because I will also be in your situation in the near future!)
THeCozen1 and aoe316 like this.

post #18 of 108 Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 AM

I've been a proud owner of the V473 and enjoyed the AVR tremendously so far! (must say I'm not an audiophyle so there are probably a thousand tweaks that could make it even better :) )

I do have one set-up question that I hope you guys can help me out with. It's about 'having the choice between TV audio and AVR audio'. I hope the set-up will make it clear:

PC -> AVR -> TV (standby pass through = tv sound / AVR on = avr sound)

Decoder (tv channels) -> AVR -> TV (identical as above)

Now, I'd like to have the same choice for my Wii & Playstation 2 (both component cable instead of hdmi). Is that possible? These are the set-ups I can think of:

A. AVR

Wii video -> tv

Wii audio -> avr = only sound when the avr is on

B. TV

Wii video + audio -> TV (sound on tv)

C. TV + AVR if on

Wii video + audio -> TV    (sound on tv)

TV -> AVR (hdmi, already connected)   = sound on AVR?

Or is there another solution (like standby pass through for component, though I think that's not possible?)

Thx!

post #19 of 108 Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There is simply no way to pass signal (video or audio) from the component inputs to the TV while the receiver is off. It looks like you have figured out your system with respect to your HDMI inputs--this is the same scheme that I use.

Option 1. You could buy a Wii2HDMI adapter and whatever the counterpart is for the PS2 (or just a universal component to HDMI converter). While more expensive, that would simplify things. They just plug into the receiver as HDMI, your problems are solved.

Option 2. The other option is to connect both consoles to the TV, then use the TV's audio output to the receiver for when you want the receiver's sound. Not sure if TVs will output digital audio (via optical, for example) if the input is analog. So you might end up with a y-cable going from the TV to an unused audio input on the receiver.

post #20 of 108 Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM

JBWIII, thanks for the quick & helpful response!

On the drive home I thought that the HDMI ARC could've been another solution, but I can't get the ARC to work with a Panasonic tx-p50x10! (it has VIERA (=CEC) functionality, but doesn't really state it will work with other branded devices) If I power off the tv, the receiver also powers off now. But no ARC :(

I was already afraid that the pass through wasn't going to work, so that leaves option 2! It's only 15€ for a digital optical cable, so I'll give that a try asap. I don't think the 2-way input will be a problem for the digital optical output.  (crossing fingers though :)

Nice set-up (in your sig) & place btw!

post #21 of 108 Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 12

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, this thread, and to Yamaha as I just ordered my HTR-4065 this weekend and am anxiously awaiting delivery, on Thursday hopefully. I've downloaded the manual, start-up guide, and June 2013 firmware update. There is another file there labeled: Firmware Update Error Troubleshooting. I can't download this file and I'm wondering if it's something that I need, i.e. is it some sort of patch for a previous firmware update? Or is it a text document with information regarding updating errors for a previous version of firmware? If that's the case, I'm assuming it's for a previous version because it's dated November 2012 and the firmware update is dated June 2013. 

Update–I just answered my own questions, but since I don't see how to delete the post, I'll leave it up as a hello message to everybody. And thanks JBWIII, for starting this thread.

post #22 of 108 Old 11-06-2013, 05:07 PM

If anyone is online now and could help me with a quick setup question I would really appreciate it. I just got my new HTR--4065 set up and I'm noticing that the receiver is changing the aspect ration of both my Samsung Blu-ray as well as my Mac mini. I settled for the Blu-ray player and put in a Deadwood disk that is widescreen. The Yamaha has changed that. I'm looking through the manual and I'm on my second tech support call. I was on hold for over 20 minutes and was disconnected so I thought I'd try posting a not here while I'm sitting on hold again.

I've gone into the Samsung Blu-ray player settings to make sure that the resolution is set to 1080p and that the aspect ratio is 16:9 and I even tried 16:9 full and nothing is changed.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

post #23 of 108 Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hello again, this receiver has no capability to resize/rescale/convert any video signal--it just passes through whatever signal is fed in. So it's not a matter of receiver set-up. I assume that when you plug the Mac or the BDP directly into the TV, it's okay?

post #24 of 108 Old 11-07-2013, 07:10 PM

Looking for a little help here. In over my head.

Just got an HTR-4065 and I thought from the lit that I could stream iTunes

from my Mac to the receiver without connecting an ethernet cable.

Is this correct?

I'm unable to figure out how to connect to my home network.

I tried the DHCP setting but I'm lost.

Thanks,

basie

post #25 of 108 Old 11-08-2013, 02:53 AM

It is AirPlay capable but you have to have some way of connecting to your network, either via ethernet, the Yamaha wireless adaptor, or some other wireless adaptor. Most options are fairly inexpensive, maybe $30-40. I noticed yesterday that Amazon has the Yamaha adaptor for about $50 and I think it's usually closer to $100. I'm using an old Apple Airport Express that I had lying around. By the way receivers have Airplay capability but very few actually have built-in WiFi so it's not something specific to this receiver or to Yamaha.

Hope this helps.

post #26 of 108 Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks G.G.,

A tech support person told me that I could connect wirelessly with

no extra devices - such as the adapter. That it was a matter of using the network

panel to set it up and the 4065 would find my home wireless network.

I have a Panasonic BluRay that did just that yesterday. BDT-210.

So there should be something in the manual that states for a pure wireless

connection to a home network, you'll need an adapter. 

So that's for Airplay  / iTunes from the computer.

Is that also true for Airplay from an iPhone?

In the network panel there's options for

DHCP

DNS

IP Address, etc.

Thanks again,

basie

post #27 of 108 Old 11-08-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Everything needs to connect through your router somehow. Your iPhone and laptop can connect via wireless. Unfortunately, your receiver--regardless of what the salesman/tech support people told you--needs an ethernet cable to connect to the network out-of-the-box. Else you need to buy the wireless adapter. The only Yamaha model that comes with the wireless adapter is the RX-V77xWA.

It makes sense that your Blu-ray player has wireless. Most newer Blu-ray players and smart TVs have wireless built-in; however, hardly any receivers do.

post #28 of 108 Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 PM

I surrendered. I got Apple TV. It will do everything I need and more.

I still have a problem about the need for an adapter and that not being specifically stated anywhere.

All the promo touts Airplay..easy..wireless...iTunes...iMac

If I use an ethernet cable it's not 'wireless' any longer. There's a big wire

running around. It was Amazon 30 day free support that told me that.

All O.K. now and I'm streaming wireless movies and music to the Yamaha.

Thanks G.G. for your knowledge and time.

I think this forum will be great help to me ironing out any issues and just plain learning.

Say Hi to my sister in NYC. If you can find her.

basie

post #29 of 108 Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Thanks JBWIII,

I was thinking that last response came from G.G.

basie

post #30 of 108 Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Postmini

Hello again, this receiver has no capability to resize/rescale/convert any video signal--it just passes through whatever signal is fed in. So it's not a matter of receiver set-up. I assume that when you plug the Mac or the BDP directly into the TV, it's okay?

Thanks, yes, when connected directly, it was fine. I finally got to someone in tech support that told me that the Blu-ray & resolutions might have been auto-detected by the Samsung HDTV, but I remember selecting the resolution when I set up the mini about a year or so ago. So I'm not sure why connecting it to the Yamaha affected the resolution. I had never adjusted the resolution in the TV but I figured out that that was how to address it. No issues since.

Basie1955–

It sounds like you're pleased with your setup now that you have added the AppleTV. Don't know if you're using PC or Mac, but if it's Mac, another thing you can do with Apple TV is sent the screen of the computer to the ATV via "mirroring," whether the content is video, text, or anything else.

Having gone through the AV receiver buying process about a year and a half ago when I purchased an Onkyo TX NR-709 which started blowing HDMI channels after 30 days (as did its replacement), I knew when I first started looking at this receiver that AirPlay didn't equal WiFi and that it still had to be connected to the network either via ethernet or by a WiFi bridge. For me, I knew I'd just use one of my Airport Base Stations that I have lying around so I didn't question the network issue. I can say that "AirPlay" is an Apple protocol and not a Yamaha one and that device manufacturers selling AirPlay enabled devices choose their words very carefully, i.e.  "Apple AirPlay allows streaming music to AV receiver." And: "This AV receiver supports AirPlay, which means they can accept wireless music streaming from iPod touch, iPhone or iPad, as well as from iTunes on Macs or PCs." If you go to a site like Crutchfield.com and peruse their receivers you'll notice that all the manufacturers use similar statements and you're not likely to find specific disclaimers stating that either a hardwired network connection or additional hardware is required, though I have seen it on a few models.

I hope that this hiccup hasn't jaded your perception of this receiver as I think it's quite superb, especially for the $199 price point that I bought it at, and I'm assuming you did as well. I just set mine up with the Orb Audio speaker system that I've been coveting for several years and I have to say that the combination of the two is outstanding. But even before I connected the Orbs, I ran it with the same set of JBL satellites (blown sub) that I used with the 2 Onkyos. Even with the JBLs, the Yamaha's sound blew away the both Onkyos, which I alway thought sounded muddy and lacked clear separation. Switching out the JBLs with the Orbs sent me to heaven, so I'm ecstatic with this Yamaha personally.

Is everything working well now and are you happy with the system?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V573 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page