Onkyo receiver overheated, repaired for free......give opinion please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So my friend has this high end ONKYO receiver and it burned out the HDMI board and one other component.

Onkyo was good enough to fix it just out of warranty...........but I was looking at his setup............this thing puts out 140x7 and she runs warm.......he only has 1.5 inches above the receiver.....glass doors on front and a cutout in the back just the size of the receiver.

I immediately told him there is your problem.................

Going to have him move the shelf above the unit to next slot to have about 2-2.5 inches and put this fan on it.

http://www.coolerguys.com/cgccrdb120mm.html

Please check out the link and let me know what you think.

It is ac powered, rear exit, only 1.75 inch high and flows about 45 cfm and fairly quiet.

It is pricey but his receiver was almost 2 grand with tax so I believe it is worth it.

Please chime in here.....................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
He's suffocating it. Even if he has 2.5'' that's still not enough. Not using Audyssey will help reduce the heat a lot. If he's already using Audyssey he will need to do a reset to totally shut it off. Once you calibrate with Audyssey just switching to manual does not turn it off. You must do a reset.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Whats Audyssey ?

Think the fan I mentioned will cool it ?
post #4 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 03:05 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Audyssey is the speaker/sub auto EQ program that Onkyo, Denon, and Marantz use on their AVRs; however, no reason to turn disable it. Although that fan should be sufficient, adding more room over the top would certainly help as well as ensuring the front glass door is left open while the AVR is being used. Onkyos are known to run hot and as you note the heat build up killed the last unit.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 13 Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
To be completely honest, the chances are quite likely that the Onkyo will fail again... I had a TX-NR905 and a TX-NR906... Both failed with HDMI issues and both had to be repaired. I had them on open shelves with 120mm PC fans above the HDMI board since day one exhausting the hot air and they still failed. After the repairs, both units failed again about six months later.

I understand that ALL the Onkyos (-5,-6,-7,-8,-9 series) have overheating issues in one way or another. Others have had issues with soldering issues on circuit boards and more recently, solder joints are failing. I would not recommend Onkyo to anyone right now. After five years of consistent problems, they have failed to remedy their quality issues. The big problem is that the issues usually crop up right at the warranty expiration.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #6 of 13 Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have to agree with Jon on this - buy something other than Onkyo right now. For five years now they've had nothing but problems throughout the lineup top to bottom and yet seem so stupid as to be doing the same thing - over and over. They must be working overtime trying to save a few bucks with the cheap solder and processes they apparently have. And the capacitors seem to be the rejects from Denon Pioneer and Yamaha since they're having problems with those too. I bought an Integra DHC 40.1 in Jan 2010 - thank god it had a three year warranty as the HDMI board went sour along with the tuner board just past the two year mark. Got it repaired and promptly sold it. I have a Yamaha HTR 7065 AVR with an Emotiva XPA-5 amp. The Yamaha works very well - runs cool - and simply works with zero hitches. It is a clone of the Aventage A820 with a few less features that I will never miss not having.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 13 Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

My friend will be soooo happy to hear all this.

He paid top money for this thing...................

Still gonna try the fan.................
post #8 of 13 Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My Onkyo 707 worked perfectly for over 2 years. Its not a high end model but in Canada was $800 when I purchased. I fixed it at a repair shop (HDMI board) but it failed again, yesterday, after one week. I should have quit prior to the repair. When I read glowing reviews about Onkyo models, and mine was great while it worked, I wonder if they feel the same way after two years.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

What temp would you suggest to turn these fans off and on at ?

Also after the HDMI board repair his Onkyo has this weird remote delay when adjusting volume..................

I wonder if a firmware update was done and that affected something................remote works but with about a 3 second delay.

Thanks for any info...................
post #10 of 13 Old 07-27-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

He should save a few bucks and buy a fan that just comes on with the AVR. The Onkyo AVRs need air flow right from start up IMO. A 120mm or 140mm fan at the cutout at the back of the AVR pulling air out should do the trick. Look for one with a 3 speed controller switch. Most of those are very quiet at low and medium speed.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #11 of 13 Old 07-27-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

He should save a few bucks and buy a fan that just comes on with the AVR. The Onkyo AVRs need air flow right from start up IMO. A 120mm or 140mm fan at the cutout at the back of the AVR pulling air out should do the trick. Look for one with a 3 speed controller switch. Most of those are very quiet at low and medium speed.

I agree that this fan is kinda high and I have a setup like you describe but this high priced Onkyo does not have a switched outlet like my $ 600 Pioneer has.

He and his family use this thing everythime the tv is on and he wanted something that is automatic and without the switched outlet this was the best way..........
post #12 of 13 Old 07-27-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

A smart strip would be money well spent. Plug the AVR into the controller plugin and the fan into one of the controlled outlets. I use one to cut power to my turntable - Blu-Ray player - tuner - and a few other things - plus it controls a circulation fan at the back of a very full audio rack.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #13 of 13 Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

He just told me last night Onkyo fixed the HDMI board but not his lack of zone 2 and 3 which didn't work at all.
He wrote a detailed letter to them and they read it back to him telling them what to fix.

Gawd......does anybody do what they say they will do anymore and CHECK /TEST their work ?

Damn...................its going back again.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors