Why do we keep buying Onkyo if its such a piece of garbage brand. No opinion pure fact. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 192 Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

Seems like HDMI is nothing but trouble. If it isn't overheating HDMI chips, it's handshake issues [okay, that's HDCP] or loose/bad-fitting HDMI plugs.

Exactly. Has there ever been a more problematic connector standard than hdmi? RCAs = no problem, Coax digital (my favorite) = no problem, Opt Dig = very few problems, potential to damage the thin cable, Component Video = no problems, S-Video, Composite Video, etc, etc. None of these technologies had "handshake issues", delays when changing channels, bad hdmi boards, ports fried by lightning (my recent mishap), etc. I realize the hdmi cable carries both audio and video, at currently the highest bandwidths, but it really isn't a well sorted technology. It's buggy and very unreliable compared to anything else that has ever been offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 192 Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

Oh and last point I would like to make to those who say things like "it just seems like a product has a lot of issues when looking at forums because that's who posts. People with issues." Clearly that is wrong. I have had 2 receivers two model lines apart and the same exact issue arose which means its an Onkyo QC issue not just some coincidence. That's a 100% failure rate in my book. Some òne needs to start a class action suit against them.

In December of 2011, I ordered an Onkyo TX-NR709 from Crutchfield as it seemed to offer so much technological bang for the buck. Exactly one moth after I set it up, I lost an HDMI channel. I can't remember which one it was now but the screen looked as if nothing was plugged into it. So I switched to an empty HDMI input. Then within a week or so another one was gone. Crutchfield was incredibly helpful and shipped a replacement the same day and issued a call tag to return the first one. They asked if I wanted a different receiver, but I tried to convince myself that the first one was just a lemon, so I crossed my fingers and ordered the same unit. I really wanted the Onkyo to work as it seemed to give me so much for such a great price.

Exactly one month after hooking up the new unit, the same thing happened, but this time I lost a total of 4 HDMI channels. I was almost scared to turn it on as I was afraid to turn it on after that. The Crutchfield support tech said that this HDMI switching issue was a well known one in the industry, among other problems, and that I should return the unit and get as far away from Onkyo as possible. To this day, I'm still waiting on a return phone call in response to eight or nine voice mail messages that I left with Onkyo customer service. That really should have told me something

The odd thing is that the next year they stopped carrying Pioneer, but they still carry Onkyo. Interesting. What's also interesting is that I have a 30+ year old Onkyo audio receiver that was given to me years ago, and the thing is still ticking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Code View Post

It would be interesting to have the Onkyo users who have reported failures due to thermal issues, to submit photos of their system setups showing that they in fact heeded Onkyo's recommendations....
To provide:
A. At least 4" free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover
B. No stacking any component on top of the AVR.

To achieve optimum performance and extended equipment life, it is recommended that you keep your system operating at a standard temperature below 85° F. Studies have shown that for every 10 degree increase over 85° F leads to a whopping 40% reduction in your equipment's life span. Computer microprocessors are more sensitive to heat than traditional A/V equipment. All microprocessors have a maximum allowable temperature, beyond which they burn out. With the increasing use of microprocessors in A/V components, sound system owners nowadays have to contend with the same heat sensitivity problems that computer owners have for decades.

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

This is an excellent point M Code.

As for my two Onkyo TX-NR709 units, I was aware of the ventilation issues when I purchased so I put my receiver in an open 3-tier rack that is open on the sides and there was at least a foot open above the receiver, i.e. nothing was placed on the top of it, ever, and the next shelf was over 12 inches above the top of the Onkyo, both of them, and the temp never exceeded 85 degrees F.

post #183 of 192 Old 11-05-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky Girl View Post

In December of 2011, I ordered an Onkyo TX-NR709 from Crutchfield as it seemed to offer so much technological bang for the buck. Exactly one moth after I set it up, I lost an HDMI channel. I can't remember which one it was now but the screen looked as if nothing was plugged into it. So I switched to an empty HDMI input. Then within a week or so another one was gone. Crutchfield was incredibly helpful and shipped a replacement the same day and issued a call tag to return the first one. They asked if I wanted a different receiver, but I tried to convince myself that the first one was just a lemon, so I crossed my fingers and ordered the same unit. I really wanted the Onkyo to work as it seemed to give me so much for such a great price.

Exactly one month after hooking up the new unit, the same thing happened, but this time I lost a total of 4 HDMI channels. I was almost scared to turn it on as I was afraid to turn it on after that. The Crutchfield support tech said that this HDMI switching issue was a well known one in the industry, among other problems, and that I should return the unit and get as far away from Onkyo as possible. To this day, I'm still waiting on a return phone call in response to eight or nine voice mail messages that I left with Onkyo customer service. That really should have told me something

The odd thing is that the next year they stopped carrying Pioneer, but they still carry Onkyo. Interesting. What's also interesting is that I have a 30+ year old Onkyo audio receiver that was given to me years ago, and the thing is still ticking!

This is an excellent point M Code.

As for my two Onkyo TX-NR709 units, I was aware of the ventilation issues when I purchased so I put my receiver in an open 3-tier rack that is open on the sides and there was at least a foot open above the receiver, i.e. nothing was placed on the top of it, ever, and the next shelf was over 12 inches above the top of the Onkyo, both of them, and the temp never exceeded 85 degrees F.
It's a good point but I have a lot of room on all sides and top of the receiver and both my Onkyo's still died. United Radio had told me Onkyo admits to them they had a "bad batch" of hdmi boards. If by bad batch they mean one that extends 3 model years then at least they're starting to take the blame. Lol But like I said I'm just happy I didn't have to buy a new receiver and onkyo did what they promised. The one thing I have to say is as long as you're with in warranty you get quick responses and help. I always got an email return, a phone call with direct advice. I'm very happy with their customer service but I know many have not been.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #184 of 192 Old 01-24-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am a getting worried now. I have an Onkyo TX-SR304 and its been rock solid for about 5 years. I want to get a newer entry model with DTS Master and DD True HD. I was looking at the Onkyo TX-SR313. Now Also my LG BD530 Blu Ray player only outputs the DTS Master and True HD on the HDMI. Is that the case for all the BD players now? If HDMI is the problem I would rather have a player that output the DTS Master and True HD via Optical and a receiver that would decode from there? Is that possible?

Should I just not worry and get the Onkyo TX-Sr313 or should I look at the entry Yamaha and Sony systems?
post #185 of 192 Old 01-24-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post

I am a getting worried now. I have an Onkyo TX-SR304 and its been rock solid for about 5 years. I want to get a newer entry model with DTS Master and DD True HD. I was looking at the Onkyo TX-SR313. Now Also my LG BD530 Blu Ray player only outputs the DTS Master and True HD on the HDMI. Is that the case for all the BD players now? If HDMI is the problem I would rather have a player that output the DTS Master and True HD via Optical and a receiver that would decode from there? Is that possible?

Should I just not worry and get the Onkyo TX-Sr313 or should I look at the entry Yamaha and Sony systems?

Optical doesn't support HD sound.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #186 of 192 Old 01-24-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Optical doesn't support HD sound.
Technically theres no such thing as "HD sound" so that statement could be confusing. Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio are considered "lossless" formats. And it is true that optical does not support lossless formats.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #187 of 192 Old 01-24-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Technically theres no such thing as "HD sound" so that statement could be confusing. Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio are considered "lossless" formats. And it is true that optical does not support lossless formats.

Correction...
Optical and coaxial, S/PDIF inputs support PCM lossless streams in Stereo but not Multi-channel..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #188 of 192 Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Correction...
Optical and coaxial, S/PDIF inputs support PCM lossless streams in Stereo but not Multi-channel..
👍😉
Exactly

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #189 of 192 Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 AM

Liked: 10
i think after reading this thread i am just going to toss my defective rc270 in the garbage and buy another brand. it died this week after only running for 3 years then quitting on me with the no sound issue. i tried all week to contact onkyo with no success, i finally got email saturday asking me for phone number to reach me at. this whole experience with them has convinced me never to buy another onkyo product.
post #190 of 192 Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I own an Onkyo SR606 that I bought from accessories for less as a refurb a few years ago. I am now starting to experience some of the same issues that others have mentioned here about HDMI. I have 3 HDMI sources hooked up to the Onkyo. The newest, a Sony Blu ray player works fine. My FIOS cable box still makes the handshake, but it takes 2+ minutes to connect. My WDTV media server never seems to make the handshake at all. Not looking to point fingers here, looking for solutions other than toss it and buy another brand. Should I try swapping the inputs to see if it is the Onkyo that is causing the problem? Try the 4th unused HDMI input? I have not been rough on the HDMI inputs, since being hooked up, the cables have not been touched. Thanks in advance for any help.
post #191 of 192 Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
1.)The Onkyo SR304 I have has the Mulit in. If I had an OPPO would I get the Dolby True HD/DTS Master though the Multi? I understand now that the Lossless format won't work over Optical/Coax like the older spec does.

2.) Do any of the other brand entry level units have as many or HDMI problems at all.(looking at the Yamaha 5.1 and Sony 5.2 systems)?
post #192 of 192 Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post

1.)The Onkyo SR304 I have has the Mulit in. If I had an OPPO would I get the Dolby True HD/DTS Master though the Multi? I understand now that the Lossless format won't work over Optical/Coax like the older spec does.

2.) Do any of the other brand entry level units have as many or HDMI problems at all.(looking at the Yamaha 5.1 and Sony 5.2 systems)?

1) No.

2) No. Onkyo had a bad batch of AVR's. According to them the issue(s) have been fixed.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr709 , Yamaha Rx A820 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page