Yamaha RXA1030 good replacement for Sony STR-DA 4400 ES? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been very happy with my current AMP, but it doesn't handle 3D signals very well. I would also maybe like to have a second HDMI out, and the 4400ES only has one. I have done some research, and I think that my top candidate would be the Yamaha RXA 1030. I have my setup listed in my signature below, but I have a few other questions too.

1. I use itunes and have an iphone, but the only way that I have found that I can connect my music library to my system (other than with CD's or via an ipod) is to use my PS3 and WMP on my computer. It appears as though the new receivers with airplay eliminate all that and so long as I have the phone/computer or receiver are on the same wifi network I can play straight from my itunes library?

2. I have messed around with every setting imaginable, but when I watch TV at night I'm constantly adjusting the volume during commercials. Does the 1030 handle this well at all like it says on the website?

3. I don't use 3D too much, and most of the time when I try to watch something in 3D the signal is really choppy if I try to run it through the 4400. It is 5 years old, or close to it, and I know 3D has come a long way since that time.

4. This might sound trivial, but there is no volume display on screen when you adjust the volume while you watch TV or a DVD. I would hope that they figured this out by now. I have tried every setting for this too, but can't seem to get it to display.

5. I have seen the 1030 as being advertised as either 110W @ 8 ohms, and as 135W @ 8 ohms? Anyone know which one it really is?

6. Just to confirm, I could watch cable in my main zone and then a DVD in another room with the 1030 controlling the output to both?

7. I know that Sony has improved it on theirs too, but the GUI is pretty bad on the 4400. It seems to be much easier to use on the 1030.

8. Does the 4K upscaling really work? Most of the time I watch only the HD channels anyways.

Thanks in advance for any answers or comments.

One other thing I would like to ask is how the Yamaha 1030 compares to the new Sony 1040? It appears to me as though the Sony is more powerful and has all the features of the Yamaha and built in wifi for $500 less.

AMP-Sony STR DA 4400 ES
Front-Infinity Primus 362
Center-Infinity PC 350
Rear-Infinity P153
Motorola Cable Box
Sony Bravia 55" 3D LED TV
PS3
Harmony Ultimate Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 PM

Liked: 100
The power spec you're looking for is (lifted from Yamaha's site):
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a1030_black_u/?mode=model
"Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven), 110 W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD)".

These AVENTAGE AVRs are very nice, and very 'musical' receivers.
This receiver will indeed upscale to 4K - but will output that signal only if you have a 4K capable display.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. After doing more research, I'm starting to lean towards the Sony STR-DN1040. I think that it has everything that I want, is more powerful than the Yamaha and is significantly less expensive.

AMP-Sony STR DA 4400 ES
Center-Infinity PC 350
Rear-Infinity P153
Motorola Cable Box
PS3
Harmony Ultimate Remote
post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 AM

Liked: 17
I'm going to going out on a limb here and say that the Yamaha RX-A1030 will be the superior choice. I believe the Sony you are looking at isn't a ES model. The Aventage line is comparable to Sony's ES line, and even then I like the Yamaha's better. They sound nicer, easier to set up, the DLNA streaming is better, the smart phone app is better, and zone 2 works better. It is nice that the Sony has WiFi but a hard connection is always better. Just my .02 cents.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. How about the new Denon models vs the 1030? The X3000 seems to be comparable to the Yamaha?

AMP-Sony STR DA 4400 ES
Center-Infinity PC 350
Rear-Infinity P153
Motorola Cable Box
PS3
Harmony Ultimate Remote
post #6 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Liked: 17
Denon is a good brand too. With my comment before I was splitting hairs. Most of these brands very comparable with little differences here and there, and the choice usually comes down to what you can get cheaper, and brand loyalty.

The Denon you are looking at looks like a good solution, just keep in mind that it has no pre-outs so you can never connect a separate power amp for more power.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah the one thing that shocks me is how much these things have come along in the last 5 years. The one I have now had 6 HDMI's and that was considered a whole lot back then. For some reason the Sony still doesn't seem to have an OSD for volume when you watch DVD's or TV. It doesn't bother me but when others watch my TV, but it really irritates others that use the system. I'll probably go check each of them out at some point and see which one I like best. Thanks for the help.

AMP-Sony STR DA 4400 ES
Center-Infinity PC 350
Rear-Infinity P153
Motorola Cable Box
PS3
Harmony Ultimate Remote
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver

User Tag List