I have been very happy with my current AMP, but it doesn't handle 3D signals very well. I would also maybe like to have a second HDMI out, and the 4400ES only has one. I have done some research, and I think that my top candidate would be the Yamaha RXA 1030. I have my setup listed in my signature below, but I have a few other questions too.
1. I use itunes and have an iphone, but the only way that I have found that I can connect my music library to my system (other than with CD's or via an ipod) is to use my PS3 and WMP on my computer. It appears as though the new receivers with airplay eliminate all that and so long as I have the phone/computer or receiver are on the same wifi network I can play straight from my itunes library?
2. I have messed around with every setting imaginable, but when I watch TV at night I'm constantly adjusting the volume during commercials. Does the 1030 handle this well at all like it says on the website?
3. I don't use 3D too much, and most of the time when I try to watch something in 3D the signal is really choppy if I try to run it through the 4400. It is 5 years old, or close to it, and I know 3D has come a long way since that time.
4. This might sound trivial, but there is no volume display on screen when you adjust the volume while you watch TV or a DVD. I would hope that they figured this out by now. I have tried every setting for this too, but can't seem to get it to display.
5. I have seen the 1030 as being advertised as either 110W @ 8 ohms, and as 135W @ 8 ohms? Anyone know which one it really is?
6. Just to confirm, I could watch cable in my main zone and then a DVD in another room with the 1030 controlling the output to both?
7. I know that Sony has improved it on theirs too, but the GUI is pretty bad on the 4400. It seems to be much easier to use on the 1030.
8. Does the 4K upscaling really work? Most of the time I watch only the HD channels anyways.
Thanks in advance for any answers or comments.
One other thing I would like to ask is how the Yamaha 1030 compares to the new Sony 1040? It appears to me as though the Sony is more powerful and has all the features of the Yamaha and built in wifi for $500 less.
AMP-Sony STR DA 4400 ES
Front-Infinity Primus 362
Center-Infinity PC 350
Motorola Cable Box
Sony Bravia 55" 3D LED TV
Harmony Ultimate Remote