Trouble deciding between Denon AVR-X2000 and Marantz NR1604 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-26-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there,

I've been lurking here for some time and am finally getting the "rebuild the family room" project under way. One of the new features of the family room is a new TV, speakers, etc.

This is a fairly small room, 13' wide, with the family room on one end, a kitchen/dining room then the kitchen itself. all open.

We are not audiophiles, and have never had anything but the built in speakers in our old 42" TV. The new room will have new built ins, a 70" TV, and in ceiling speakers. I know the in ceiling thing is taboo, but it's the only way I could get this project off the ground so to speak. I'm currently planning on putting in the 3 front speakers, two side, and two rear plus a powered subwoofer someplace in the room.

I'm going back and forth between the various manufacturers and models trying to make sense of which receiver is "best" for us. I've been looking at the Denon X2000 and the Marantz NR1604, and really can't see much difference between the two, so I thought I would post it up here for suggestions, etc. These are both at the high end of my price range, but I'd be happy to have the cost go down. The TV is not going to be 4K.

I've heard in various threads that the Denon's get hot, etc. Not sure if it's true or not, but I'm looking for something that's going to last for a long time, etc.

Currently we hop back and forth between an AppleTV and a Tivo for 99% of our TV usage with more and more content ending up on the AppleTV. We don't listen to much music, but when we do it's all stored on an iTunes server or Pandora.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated, are there other brands, or models that I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Both models will be barely luke warm at best, although the X2000 offers the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT vs. only MultEQ in the 1604. Given you're coming from TV speakers, either version would be an improvement so go with the one that offers the features you need at the price you want to pay.
shhutchinson likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting, I've been reading up on the differences between the two, near as I can tell the features seem to be nearly identical. One difference I see is that when I have the 7.1 speakers running I can put an additional output on the Marantz to drive a wireless headphone, where the Denon doesn't allow that. Again, could be missing something. That and the mentioned better sound correction on the Denon. Hard choice really. Any other models suggested that might be better within the same price range?

Thanks!
Scott
post #4 of 4 Old 07-27-2013, 02:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
The 1604 is a 50W slimline model that features FL/FR main zone pre-outs as well as Zone 2 pre-outs, while the X2000 is a 90W full sized model which although does not feature FL/FR main zone pre-outs does feature Zone 2 pre-outs which can be used to connect a set of wireless headphones. Either model would be a good choice.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page