Configure 8 Channel SPDIF Sound Card to Denon AVR 3808CI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon AVR 3808ci and an an 8 channel sound card with an spdif out connection.My OS is Windows XP. I want to be able to play the thousands of mp3 files on my computer through my Denon receiver. I am a newbie and I would first like to know how feasible is what I am attempting to do. The sound card is properly installed and the SPDIF cable is plugged in. I runto a problem after that. Which SPDIF connection do I use on my AVR receiver and how do I get the receiver to recognize the sound card. I would appreciate any assistance I can get .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Unfortunately, fancy audio cards are almost irrelevant in the modern home audio environment.

If your video card has it, use HDMI instead. It provides 7.1 channels of high -resolution lossless digital audio, in PCM, Dolby or DTS formats.

S/PDIF provides only 2 channels of high-resolution audio in PCM format. For 5.1 surround sound, you have to use Dolby Digital or DTS lossy compression. It can't provide 7.1 audio.

If you use the receiver's 7.1 multichannel analog connections, you can't apply Audyssey room correction, bass management or any other processing.

Instructions for using the S/PDIF inputs (both coax and optical) of your receiver are provided on page 40 of your receiver's owners manual. It can be downloaded for free from the Denon Web site.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread