Pioneer Receiver Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-27-2013, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm brand new to the site, don't know if this is where I'm supposed to post, a friend recommended I post on here. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I've had a Pioneer -VSX-920-K for about three years. I have it hooked up with all HDMI inputs, and I've never had a problem. Recently it's started acting up. When something is playing on one of the inputs, it will work fine for a few minutes. It will then just go to a completely black screen. Sometimes that lasts for a couple seconds then goes back to what I was playing, and sometimes it stays black. I need to then change to a different input then back to get the audio/video back.

Usually, none of the things on the front display change when it goes black. Sometimes it goes from displaying and H for HDMI to an A for Analog. I've tried unplugging and reinserting all the cables. I've tried doing a complete setup like the system was new. Changing settings in the receiver doesn't seem to help it either. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to have to replace it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2013, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
try using one of the other HDMI cables. maybe that one isn't attaching properly and will loosen up enough to cause the "blackouts"

My Gear
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

I have tried using different HDMI cables for the outpuds and inputs, I've even tried using a cable that wasn't previously used, but I know works for a different TV. I'm thinking it's gotta be the receiver dying, even though it's not new.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-27-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Try plugging it into another HDMI input.

the connector in the receiver may be going wonky. HDMI is a very fragile interface. and documented cases where just the weight of a cable, or a tight bending radius was enough to cause cable-connector damage over time. I use heavy duty cables and always have pushed them up a bit before putting the rack back back on so they aren't squished downward.

it sounds like intermittent connectivity or intermittent handshake. the fact that your audio signal source is also defaulting back to analog means it lost the handshake/connectivity.

if another input connection doesn't fix it and you have tried different cables, then there may be an intermittent circuit board problem cropping up. but try the ez solutions 1st.

Steve
post #5 of 5 Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but a using different input doesn't fix it.

This time I did notice when it went to black, on the display the settings disappeared. Umm, how to explain it, my display shows what audio I'm using, say Dolby. So that always shows, when the tv went to black, that display disappeared as well.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page