This or that receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-27-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking to upgrade from a Marantz 6004 due to the desire to have simultaneous use of two sources to watch a game and have music playing along with networking and 3d pass thru. The 6004 does not have any of these capabilities. Budget considerations have me looking at a Marantz 6008 and the Denon 4000. Both can be obtained from various sources for similar money.

Realizing these are from sister companies, many of the features are similar. The differences are more watts per channel on the Denon and Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ vs just XT on the Marantz. The power considerations aren't important. The 110wpc on the 6008 is fine. However I was wondering if anyone has auditioned both and can give their impression. From what I've read and my experience with the 6004, the Marantz may have a fuller, rounder sound vs what the Denon will produce which has been described as powerful but bright. Of the reviews/comparisons I've read, Marantz utilizes more robust and or/better components and circuitry and has HDAM. Is HDAM something that noticeably enhances sound quality? Is this what provides what's described as deeper/fuller sound? Is the 6008 a compromise where the 4000 is top of the Denon line?

I know they're both very good at what they do. Just wondering if I'm missing anything or there's any nuance or feature that shines in one or the other.

Well thanks in advance smile.gif

Edit: Guess I should add - the speakers are Studio 60s with a cc490 center with Paradigm Micro v3 surrounds and a Klipsch sub. Looking to replace the sub with a matching Paradigm sub down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 317
They aren't just sister companies. They use exactly the same digital boards in both receiver lines (although different boards at different price points). Only the analog circuitry and logos differ. I'd expect that the increase in audio quality provided by XT32 and SubEQ in the X4000 would be noticeably better than what's provided by the slightly better analog circuitry with only XT provided in the Marantz receiver.

FWIW, the X4000 is not the top of Denon's receiver line. That's still last year's AVR-4520.

Selden
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

They aren't just sister companies. They use exactly the same digital boards in both receiver lines (although different boards at different price points). Only the analog circuitry and logos differ. I'd expect that the increase in audio quality provided by XT32 and SubEQ in the X4000 would be noticeably better than what's provided by the slightly better analog circuitry with only XT provided in the Marantz receiver.

FWIW, the X4000 is not the top of Denon's receiver line. That's still last year's AVR-4520.

Thanks. After reading a bit further on these two AVRs, I'm leaning toward the Denon for the XT32, and as you suggested. The better room correction software may be the route to go along with the additional wpc.

I've only seen a few screen shots of the Denon and Marantz onscreen controls and menus, and I find the Marantz to look better, but just don't know much about their functionality side by side. Do you have any input on either in terms of layout and usability?

Guess I meant that the x4000 was the top of this particular trio of new Denon AVRs vs the 6008 being the middle child of the Marantz trio. Well thanks for the input and if you have any more on the UIs, it would be great.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Sorry, I can't comment on the UIs from personal experience. I have an older Marantz pre/pro (AV8003) which uses a relatively crude black-and-white user interface. You might try visiting a local brick-and-mortar Audio/Video store.

Selden
post #5 of 5 Old 07-29-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Sorry, I can't comment on the UIs from personal experience. I have an older Marantz pre/pro (AV8003) which uses a relatively crude black-and-white user interface. You might try visiting a local brick-and-mortar Audio/Video store.
NP. I did just that. I'm going with the x4000 based on features/price vs the Marantz. Prefer the look and feel of the Marantz, but I'll mostly be listening to it smile.gif Got a very good deal that I couldn't pass on.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page