Using processor on Older receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-27-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Yamaha RXV 657 receiver (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v657_black__u/?mode=model) I like but it lacks HDMI and codec for newer surrounds. Been looking around low to midrange priced receivers and see that the power is rated at XX watts at 1khz all channels driven. My current receiver has 95 watts X 7 20hz to 20000khz. My thoughts are to use my receiver as an amp and buy a processor to bring me up to date with hdmi and newer codecs.

So can anyone suggest a pre/pro for around $500. Or are there any modern av receivers that are have power full bandwidth not at just 1khz.. Even a $1000 receiver would be acceptable if it had good power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
For $500 you're not going to find a lot of different prepros. Emotiva's UMC-1 goes for $3-350 used. It has some issues early on that have been worked out for the most part but there are still some glitches. As for how soon those might get fixed its anyone's guess. Emotiva doesn't seem to be a ball of fire when it comes to supporting older products. The newer UMC-200 goes for around $500 used. New its $599 - seems like a bargain IMO if you need a prepro and they come with a 5 year warranty that is fully transferable - IF the seller remembers to transfer it to you.

I use a Yamaha HTR-7065 AVR with an Emotiva XPA-5 - great combo IMO and the Yamaha works better than the UMC-1 ever did for me (had two of them) - doesn't drop audio for no apparent reason - etc. UMC-1's can be found on the Emotiva Emporium all the time. The UMC-200 shows up there from time to time too.

Unless you are planning on getting an external amp in the future you might want to stick with an AVR. Most $1000 AVRs will have much better amplifier sections than your present AVR. If you do get a prepro all you'll need to do is connect the preamp output to the direct channel inputs in your Yamaha.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 3 Old 07-27-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Then whats the real difference of how power is measured at btw full range and at 1khz. ie: 100 watts at 1khz vs 100 watts full range
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page