Looking for feedback: Pioneer Elite SC-75 or Onkyo TX-NR929...Thanks. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
BRob1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in the market for a new receiver for music and movies mostly with a bit of gaming on the side. I have had Onkyos in the past, older models 8 and 15 years ago and my Pop has had Pioneers, so these are the brands I am familiar with. I am looking for Zone 2 and 3 capabilities, 135 watts per channel or more, one that is going to last a few years for $1500 or less.

I am also looking at Definitive Tech BP-8060ST to start and will be adding a center and rears later.

I have been lurking here for close to a year now doing research and really appreciate the knowledge and feedback that is provided.

Thanks in advance...BRob
BRob1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have faithfully owned Onkyo receivers and am now an owner of a Pioneer.

Why? Because EVERY year for the past six years, Onkyo's AVRs have proved to be sorely lacking in reliability. I had the TX-NR905 and the TX-NR906. Both units had the dreaded HDMI capacitor failure. The board costs $400 to fix and $1000 to replace. The -07 and -08 had issues with HDMI boards failing and where the circuit boards were not "washed" correctly. There was a coating that needed to be removed after flash soldering the board which was not, causing premature failure. There was also the problem with IDE connectors and bad display boards. And now, the solder joints on the boards are failing from heat failure.

The quality at Onkyo is horrible. They will at their option offer some repairs after warranty, but a lot of people are having the same issues after the repairs. Onkyo will not repair them after the initial repair. Do a search for Onkyo failure in google. It will shock you.

After I had my two Onkyos repaired, I sold them and bought a Pioneer SC-67 and have been quite happy since.
oztech likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I wouldn't touch an Onkyo product unless you gave it to me. I've owned several over the past five years including a 'top of the line' Integra preamp processor that bit the dust just past the two year mark. Thank god it had a 3 year warranty. Got the HDMI board replaced along with a radio board - then sold it. I now have a Yamaha AVR that I'm using as a processor with an XPA-5. So far so good. The Pioneer sounds like a good choice.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Newbie
 
Keith Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on the same bandwagon - NO more Onkyo for me, for numerous reasons. Failed equipment, mysterious problems, firmware issues, crass tech support, etc.

I've been doing installs with Yamaha and Denon. The Denon AVR-X series has been great because it has variable level control for it's zone outputs. The AVR-X4000 might be a good bet at around $1300. It's a little shy on your power requirements, but maybe you could bend a bit on that....
Keith Crusher is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Go with SC-75 I play with one in BestBuy today since they change to Hdmi in Magnolia room its awesome receiver.
Chise is online now  
post #6 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I would go with the Pioneer those D3 amps are amazing as for speakers try and demo as many in your price range as possible.
oztech is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
BRob1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks so much for all the responses! I will be looking at the Pioneer Elite SC series.
BRob1 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 08-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Patrick Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nokomis, Fl. USA
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I may be in the minority but I have my own anecdotal evidence. I've had both an Onkyo receiver and an Integra pre-pro. The Onkyo has never had a problem. Never had a problem with the Integra until about a year ago I made a regrettable cabinet change that caused a heating issue. My bad.
It still looks and sounds great but I have to keep a fan on it now. I'll be even more cognoscente of ventilation going forward.
I'm aware of the posts here and elsewhere. BUT, when you consider the number of Onkyos sold and the number of those compaining, you have to put it in perspective. I don't think you'll find too many people saying "hey, I think I'll jump on the net and tell everybody I don't have a problem with my receiver".
My bottom line is I'm ready for the TX-NR929 to replace my Integra. I've talked to Onkyo about the changes made in regards to HDMI board failures. Short of giving me proprietary part numbers, they've convinced me the newer models won't have those HDMI board problems. Of course that's saying nothing about other possible problems. And BAD on them for the recent problems considering how widespread they were. And I think they're going to take a sales hit because of it for awhile just not from me. Just wish it had Audyssey Sub EQ HT.

Patrick
Patrick Collins is online now  
post #9 of 14 Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Senior Member
 
PubFiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I wont speak to reliability of onkyos I had one and had to return it. But I can tell you I own a pioneer now and I kinda well hate it. I have an SC-1222K, there are just so many little things you would never pick out of a review or even know to ask about that piss me off about this thing.

1 it takes for ever to get up and running, 2 the software is confusing and senseless and there are so many whacky decisions. They have an app for smart phones to control the device, but the thing is the app cant actually do lots of thing you want it to do so its essentially useless because you are just going to keep going back to harmony or the original IR remote. Why produce an app like that is it really that hard to make the app simply have a replica area of all the buttons on the remote? Before with my HTPC and denon I could turn the computer on or off or the receiver and always have audio working. But with the pioneer it kills the audio , the computer must turn on after the receiver. This sucks because every time we want to watch something or do something we gotta close all the windows and restart, (happens with AMD or NVidia) . Also for whatever horrible reason they didn't include a 12v trigger out on this thing and I can never seem to set a smart switch to the right sensitivity to reliably control my amp. The whole room correction also was not particularly successful for me, it kept telling me my speakers had the wrong polarity no matter which way I switched them, sometimes I would not change anything, run it again and it would tell me different speakers were wrong. lol?

If I were you I would just jump ship and look at someone else like denon.
PubFiction is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

I wont speak to reliability of onkyos I had one and had to return it. But I can tell you I own a pioneer now and I kinda well hate it. I have an SC-1222K, there are just so many little things you would never pick out of a review or even know to ask about that piss me off about this thing.

1 it takes for ever to get up and running, 2 the software is confusing and senseless and there are so many whacky decisions. They have an app for smart phones to control the device, but the thing is the app cant actually do lots of thing you want it to do so its essentially useless because you are just going to keep going back to harmony or the original IR remote. Why produce an app like that is it really that hard to make the app simply have a replica area of all the buttons on the remote? Before with my HTPC and denon I could turn the computer on or off or the receiver and always have audio working. But with the pioneer it kills the audio , the computer must turn on after the receiver. This sucks because every time we want to watch something or do something we gotta close all the windows and restart, (happens with AMD or NVidia) . Also for whatever horrible reason they didn't include a 12v trigger out on this thing and I can never seem to set a smart switch to the right sensitivity to reliably control my amp. The whole room correction also was not particularly successful for me, it kept telling me my speakers had the wrong polarity no matter which way I switched them, sometimes I would not change anything, run it again and it would tell me different speakers were wrong. lol?

If I were you I would just jump ship and look at someone else like denon.
Not sure what functions you need on an APP but you are comparing a 1222 to a 75 which if you read their product sheet the 75 has 12v triggers and the APP control has been different with each new year hardly a fair comparison .
There again as the lowest instal we do is an SC-72 I can not say what the 1222 is lacking .
oztech is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
PubFiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Not sure what functions you need on an APP but you are comparing a 1222 to a 75 which if you read their product sheet the 75 has 12v triggers and the APP control has been different with each new year hardly a fair comparison .
There again as the lowest instal we do is an SC-72 I can not say what the 1222 is lacking .

This is another part of the problem there is NO reason at all for a company to not make a single app that controls all receivers and keep it updated. Pioneer decided to screw everyone over by making different apps for different years and not bothering to update them.
PubFiction is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

This is another part of the problem there is NO reason at all for a company to not make a single app that controls all receivers and keep it updated. Pioneer decided to screw everyone over by making different apps for different years and not bothering to update them.
I am sure the APP for this year probably will be superseded next year along with new models and functions thats something that has taken place in the electronics industry for awhile its what keeps us buying new products and them staying in business but at least our money gets us for the most part more for our money than it did 5 years ago.
oztech is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 08-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Senior Member
 
PubFiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well similar tactics were employed by GM and we see where that got them. For me my enjoyment has been diminished by bad software and even worse design decisions and no attempt to fix it. There is a difference between leaving out a feature and just making a bad decision. You are right I probably will buy a new receiver but it sure won't be a pioneer. If you want to play around like that then you better make stuff right and good from the start. For the record outside of myself no one else in the house ever bothers to use pioneers useless app because every other time they want to use it I gotta say, well you cant do that in the app. So yeah the app doesn't really replace the remote its more like you have to use both the app and the remote in order to actually use this stupid receiver.

I can think of a better way to increase sales, don't make a receiver a disposable un configurable appliance, then when people see it lasted they will recommend it to their friends. As it is right now the price of these receivers is astronomical when you figure they want you replacing them every 2-3 years to keep up with the tech. That hurts their own sales cause people like me are just going to say, forget all the smart features it will all be useless junk in no time just get the lowest end receiver that works.
PubFiction is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I am sure the APP for this year probably will be superseded next year along with new models and functions thats something that has taken place in the electronics industry for awhile its what keeps us buying new products and them staying in business but at least our money gets us for the most part more for our money than it did 5 years ago.
This industry want you never be satisfied,the last two years l learn to be content what I have,they want you stay in debt.
Chise is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr929 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off