AVS Forum banner

Ultra [Orthodox] Newb Question Regarding HT/Receivers

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  MZAdotcom 
#1 ·
Just picked up a Harman Kardon AVR 1565. It's my 1st receiver ever, didn't want anything super fancy, just an entry-level one and I'm pretty excited about it.

Did a good amount of research before plunking down for this unit, but I anticipated problems with my setup, regardless.

So, my setup:
  • LG 42CS570 42" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV
  • Samsung HT-Z320T 1000W 5.1-Channel Home Theater System
  • Go.Video DV2150 DVD-VCR Combo [just to keep things old school]
  • Roku 3
  • Nintento Wii [just to keep things blurry and low-res]
  • Harman Kardon AVR 1565 Receiver, of course

Tonight as I was hooking up my speakers, all was going well until the last one. I realized that the connection from my Samsung HT sub-woofer is not compatible with the plug-in type of connection on the HK 1565
. Oh for the love of!?! As you can see, this is where the newb part comes in. I assumed that all the speakers would connect the same = clear/black, +/- connections.

So my question is: does this situation always call for a new sub-woofer or is there anyway to "salvage" my Samsung HT one? Salvage, meaning is there anyway to make it connect to the plug-in type connection, with an adapter/etc., for example, or is it done and there's just no way to connect it?

By the way, to hook up the other 5 speakers, I had to strip off the hard-plastic connection tips of the wires to expose the wiring. Good idea and/or what you're suppose to do or complete lunacy?

Thanks in advance and 1000 apologies for my newbie-ness. I'm actually an IT guy and know a fair amount about tech, just not HT, receivers, audio, etc.

Cheers.

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Tonight as I was hooking up my speakers, all was going well until the last one. I realized that the connection from my Samsung HT sub-woofer is not compatible with the plug-in type of connection on the HK 1565 mad.gif. Oh for the love of!?! As you can see, this is where the newb part comes in. I assumed that all the speakers would connect the same = clear/black, +/- connections.

So my question is: does this situation always call for a new sub-woofer or is there anyway to "salvage" my Samsung HT one? Salvage, meaning is there anyway to make it connect to the plug-in type connection, with an adapter/etc., for example, or is it done and there's just no way to connect it?

You need to run an RCA cable from "Subwoofer Pre Out" on the back of your AVR to the line in on your subwoofer. If your subwoofer does not have binding posts, then it must have a line level rca input. Just run an rca cable between your avr and sub.

#3 ·
I appreciate the help, braveheart123.

Not sure if you're solution will work for me. As I was saying, the sub of my Samsung HT only has a positive/negative connection. There are no other connections on the back. Please see attached photos.

Samsung HT-Z320T Sub:

Samsung HT-Z320T Sub Connection Wire/Type:

Harman Kardon AVR 1565 Sub-Woofer Pre-Out:

So, this leaves me with my original question: is it possible to connect my HT sub, using an adapter/etc., to my AVR or does this situation always require that a new sub, with the right connection type, be purchased?

Thanks again. Cheers.

#5 ·
The speakers that come with those boxed systems aren't really intended to be used with any amplifier other than the one that came in the same box. This is especially true with the subwoofers / bass modules. But is sometimes also true of the main speakers, which can have odd plugs -- or unusual impedance specs that make them behave poorly with normal, "good" amplifiers.

Looking at the subwoofer -- yours appears to be unpowered (doesn't have a built-in amplifier). Most real subwoofers have a built-in amplifier and are connected to the receiver via a line-level RCA cable, or a speaker cable that -- despite appearances -- still goes through the amplifier inside the subwoofer. Neither of those are possible with your Samsung subwoofer, which lacks the usual built-in amplifier and uses a proprietary plug to connect to the Samsung receiver and its amplifier.

#6 ·
Thank you, both Mrke1 and skriefal. skriefal: very much appreciate the detailed reply/info. A HT newb like me could use all the info I can get

As soon as I got to seeing both the HT sub connection and my new AVR's back panel, this is pretty much what I thought
. So, I have to get a new sub with a built-in amp.

Welp, any chance you guys could recommend a nice 8"-10" sub with all the right tech specs for my particular setup/AVR? I'll probably look to spend around $100-$150 @ Amazon or Newegg. Not looking to break the bank or "the best". Nor earth-shattering bass/sound, the same amount of b00m my Samsung HT sub gave movies/etc would suffice.

Any further help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

#7 ·
The only inexpensive subwoofer that I've used is Pioneer's SW-8 (now sold as the SW-8MK2). Many here will pooh-pooh the SW-8, but that's because it isn't marketed to to the average AVS user -- most of whom want a large subwoofer capable of providing room-shaking deep bass. You won't get that for $150. But you can get something like the SW-8MK2, and it will do a reasonable job of adding extension to your small main speakers, especially if your room isn't too large. It'll almost certainly be better than the Samsung bass module.

You could also try the Dayton SUB-1200 from Parts Express:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629

I haven't used one, but have seen others who have stated that it's a good option in this price range.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal  /t/1483510/ultra-orthodox-newb-question-regarding-ht-receivers#post_23587551

The only inexpensive subwoofer that I've used is Pioneer's SW-8 (now sold as the SW-8MK2).

This is pretty funny. So I've been researching relatively inexpensive subs and guess what, the Pioneer SW-8MK2 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer's the exact model I've been eying!

@Amazon

@Newegg

It has exceptional ratings @ both sites.

In fact, just earlier today I was checking it out @ Newegg and saw another option: YAMAHA YST-SW216BL Front Firing 100W Powered Subwoofer

@Amazon

@Newegg

While there, saw another model [hope I'm not making things too complicated for you or myself, hehe]: Yamaha YST-SW012 Subwoofer System - 100 W RMS

@Amazon

@Newegg

Checked out the Dayton SUB-1200 from Parts Express. Saw the product video by "Joe" and it looks great. My only question is, do I want a down firing sub like the Daytons. Don't want to ruffle any feathers with neighbors, etc. I live in a relatively quite, nice neighborhood in a home with pretty thin walls.

So, of all these options, any of 'em really pop for you, besides the already mentioned Pioneer SW-8-K? If you think it's the Pioneer model, I'll plunk the duckets for it ASAP. BTW: not looking for you to do my homework for me, it's just that you seem very knowledgeable and sound like you know what you're talking about.

Thanks for all your help! Cheers.

#9 ·
I use two of the Pioneer SW-8s (first version) in my small-ish bedroom and am happy with what they do. I got them when Newegg was blowing them out for $80 each (IIRC), presumably to make way for the MK2 version. They were definitely a good buy at that price. They can't compare to the $1200+ Rythmik FV15HP in my main system, of course, but I don't expect them to.

At the SW8-MK2's current $150+ price, however, I think you'd be better off with the Dayton SUB-1200. The Dayton and its 12-inch woofer will likely outperform either of the Yamahas.

#10 ·
Like most people, $ is an object to me so am looking for the best bang for the buck. Taking everything into account plus your assessment, I'll be picking up the Daytons.

Thanks again for the help and advice. You rock! Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.