Denon avr-1613, Vizio , Time Warner box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, got a Denon avr-1613 at a stupid price, have a Vizio E320-A0 with HDMI ARC, a pair of huge retro speakers, and Time Warner is my cable provider.

Here's the flux. I first connected TW cable direct to Vizio TV, then HDMI (Hi speed with ethernet) cable from Vizio ARC to Denon ACR plugs. Left settings a default. Nothing pic, no sound. Changed some input settings but no go.

Then, I ran TW cable direct to set top box, ran same HDMI cable from TW box (btw no ARC) to Denon HDMI ARC and all is good. Why?

My concern is that I'm moving to a apt building soon that includes in rent internet and HD cable service. There are no set top boxes just an outlet in the wall to run the cable wire from. So I will run from wall to my Vizio and HDMI to Denon and it should work?

Trust I've made myself coherent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
If you're not using running any video devices thru to Denon why don't you just connect an optical cable from the TV to the receiver for audio?

That works better than ARC anyway.

Afro GT
post #3 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure what you mean by "video" devices. Isn't my Vizio TV a video device? Anyway, tried the optical cable which the people at BB said I absolutely had to have, but it did NOT work, or I didn't fully understand how to use it. As I said, only when I passed TW cable thru set top box did I get HD TV and stereo audio thru my speakers.

You'd think I should be able to connect TW cable direct to Denon since it's controlling everything anyway.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you don't have a cable box, there is nothing to plug into the Denon. AV receivers don't have TV tuners, you cannot connect from the wall outlet directly to the Denon receiver.

Video devices means sources that can send video to the TV, or thru the Denon and then to the TV.
1. Blu Ray/DVD players
2. Gaming Devices
3. Sat/Cable box
4. Roku, Apple TV, etc

Optical cable should have worked from TV to Denon for audio. Did you run the setup on the Denon and assign the optical input?

Afro GT
post #5 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
First let's clear some terms up ....

ARC - Audio Return Channel - only refers to passing the audio from the TV's smart apps or sources connected to the TV back to the AVR (ie. ARC does not apply to the cable/sat set top box at all).

Hi Speed with Ethernet HDMI cable - there are no applications that use the Ethernet capability in this cable so a standard Hi speed cable will suffice just as well.

The HDMI cable between the TV and 1613 is connected from the HDMI Monitor (ARC) "output" on the 1613 to the HDMI (ARC) "input" on your TV.

As noted in the link below, ARC will NOT work without changing both the TV's and the AVR's default settings which is why you got no results when trying to use the feature. The reason it worked when you connected the box to the 1613 was because you were not using ARC, rather simply just another HDMI connection to the 1613.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E4

And lastly, there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 Owners linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 in that thread for additional information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

^^thanks JDS. My first avr and muddling thru the setup. Appreciate the links and your comments. I'll study more then see if I'm smarter.

re: HDMI cable. On page 8 of the user manual it says:

"When the ARC function is used, connect a device with a “Standard HDMI cable with Ethernet” or “High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet” for HDMI."

That's why I went to HD and bought the HS cable with Ethernet. Guess I can return that one if I'm reading your correctly. smile.gif
post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 04:54 PM
585-645-1006

Correct. As is often the case, the manual could use some editing.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Site has good info but I'm a bit concerned abt my new apartment that does not use set top boxes for cable HD TV. Just an outlet in the wall. It's like the building has one huge set top box with lines running to all the apartments. The only place I can connect TV cable is direct to the Vizio monitor, then connect to the avr-1613 with the HDMI cable. I'm worried it will not work.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It probably wont work. JD told you in post #5 that ARC will only work with Smart apps.

Connect an optical cable from the TV the receiver for audio.

I guess this is one of those things you wont understand until you move to your apartment and figure out then.

Afro GT
post #10 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 03:11 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvnob007 View Post

Site has good info but I'm a bit concerned abt my new apartment that does not use set top boxes for cable HD TV. Just an outlet in the wall. It's like the building has one huge set top box with lines running to all the apartments. The only place I can connect TV cable is direct to the Vizio monitor, then connect to the avr-1613 with the HDMI cable. I'm worried it will not work.

Lots of people forgo using a set top box to cut down on cost and connect the cable from the wall directly to the TV, although are generally limited to a much smaller number of channels without using the box. Hotels do this as well connecting the cable directly to the TV. Rather than continuing to worry about nothing, why not take afrogt's suggestion (3 times now I believe) and connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. On the side of your TV, below the HDMI jacks is an optical audio output (highlighted in yellow on the image below). You can order an optical cable from forum sponsor Monoprice for a few dollars if you don't have one. Connect an optical cable from that jack to the optical input jack on the AVR labeled "TV Audio" and then select TV on your AVR remote when you want to listen to audio from the TV. Remember to set the CEC feature on the TV to OFF to disable the ARC capability.

Side view of Vizio

Back panel of 1613

Optical cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=1419&CAWELAID=1329458034&catargetid=320013720000010788&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJPNu-6E17gCFWQV7AodukAAvQ

post #11 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Got it figured and know now that with no set top box and wall cable direct to TV I'll only get very limited number of channels in HD using optical cable. Not good enough. My iphone music sounds great thru my Polk speakers but for $220 the Denon 1613 seems is a bit expensive for just that one feature.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 03:15 PM
585-645-1006

What one feature? The AVR is required to power your speakers.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

The 1 feature that it does well is power my speakers for ipod/iphone tunes. But after searching online for a "simple" stereo receiver maybe what I paid is okay for that one feature.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM
585-645-1006

Yup. Not to mention it allows future growth should you decide to add a Blu Ray player. Unless most of your listening is music, you'll also want to consider adding at least a center speaker for better dialogue clarity.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1613 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page