Yamaha RX-V675 receiver, no subwoofer output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39

I have a RX-V675 connected to a SVS cylinder sub via the sub1 preout. YPAO was run with gain at 0 and sub volume at 50% as suggested in the manual. The results of YPAO were -

- all distances were accurate

- all my speakers were set to small, which is correct.

- the LCR and surround speakers were set to either 0dB or a small value like +/- 2dB, sub was set to -4.5dB. I tried increasing the sub gain to no effect

- I set bass crossover to 80Hz

From the setup page, test tones to all speakers are fine, but the sub is not audible. If I turn the sub to nearly 100% then I can hear a faint output but that's obviously not right. With my previous Pioneer receiver, I barely had to set the SVS to 1/4th volume to get enough bass for my apartment. With Yamaha, even without YPAO I should be able to hear bass, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi have the 3010 and have witnessed the same thing. I don't believe that Yamaha / YPAO emits test tones for subs. Could be wrong.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Forgot to add - the Sub is set to Normal, and Phase is Neutral.  I have heard the test tone but it is really faint and only when I turn the sub all the way up. And YPAO did detect that a sub was present.

Quote:
Hi have the 3010 and have witnessed the same thing. I don't believe that Yamaha / YPAO emits test tones for subs. Could be wrong.

But your sub is working, right?

post #4 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any advice or things to try? I see this is a very common issue with Yamaha, but I find it hard to believe. I know my sub is working just fine. And I've tried every setting I can see in the setup menu.
ellievsir likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
But your sub is working, right?
[/quote]

Yes, the sub is working. Look it, I'm no pro at these things so I'd like to think that YPAO got it right or at least in the ballpark! My only suggestion to you is to let your ears be the judge. Pick a familiar movie and listen to the bass. If it's too weak, kick up the sub volume in the manual set-up, not the sub itself. Too strong...turn it down a notch or two. Good luck!
post #6 of 10 Old 02-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Did anyone get to the bottom of this. I have a very similar problem

post #7 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Liked: 14
Hi Everyone . . . I had a similar problem with my yamaha receiver . . . in my case the solution was simply, the problem was the wire I was using! It was NOT the correct wire for the subwoofer. NOTE, the (thick) yellow analog video cable or any component cable can be used for the sub-woofer (these cables are 75 ohm compliant, which is what is needed for subwoofer cable). If you purchase a dedicated cable for the sub-woofer, it is using the same guts as the wire used on component cable (75 ohm compliant). So, if you have an extra component cable (use the red one since that's the color usually assigned to sub wiring), use that and see if this clears up your problem. Also, try running your yamaha on pure direct to see if you hear a difference in the sub . . . pure direct removes the YPAO set up specs and uses the audio being sent without any alterations. But note, YPAO does output a subwoofer test signal. Hope this helps!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 77
-4.5db subwoofer setting means subwoofer gain is too high. Turn it down until ypao sets it near zero.
The cable should say 75 ohm. Ypao does output a subwoofer test signal.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I had an issue with a a720. I "fixed" it by running analog cables from both of the a720 sub outputs to the sub. Sub accepted two analog inputs (luckily). I think the sub outs from Yamaha send a weaker signal. Just my subjective opinion. You can try upping the sub volume as well. Also try running the test tone at a higher level.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Liked: 28
Yamaha does run test tones, I think you have to set sub down low. I used REW to set my subs and boy! Did they come alive.
I had to manually input the peq settings.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V675 7 2 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V675 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page