Not kidding, totally serious - how is Onkyo still in business????? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Am I wrong about Onkyo?
You just got a fluke product, they're not that bad. 4 57.14%
I too had to buy new curtains after the fire. 1 14.29%
Onkyo never set fire to my home, but are indeed a pile of crap. 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought one of these Onkyo TX-NR609 receivers (new, from an authorized retailer). I've been a Pioneer guy all my life but when I switched to 3D I figured I'd try something new. The HDMI board went bad. Took 8 weeks for a warranty repair. Then there was a recall - 6 more weeks. THEN it set fire to itself in my living room and almost burned down my house. Its been under repair longer than I've been using it and now it is a pile of ash. Onkyo's response; tough luck! The repair center blames them, they blame the repair center. Since it's still under factory warranty, AmEx won't cover it. Ugh.

Adding insult to injury; Onkyo's OS apps are worthless, to call their customer service 'abysmal' would be candy coating it, the local repair center in Simi Valley is run by a guy who is always chewing something when you talk to him and now this. So here I sit in the 13th month of ownership - my amp is fubar, I can't return it, I can't fix it and Onkyo (after being on hold for 56 minutes) suggests I just go buy a new one. Seriously? Which brings me back to my point - who in their right mind is buying these things and why isn't there a warning page somewhere stating Onkyo will frustrate you into a 5150 hold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482785/why-do-we-keep-buying-onkyo-if-its-such-a-piece-of-garbage-brand-no-opinion-pure-fact

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Internet is filled with Onkyo complaints, trust me people know. They do have lots of features so are tempting.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The internet is full of anecdotal evidence about anything you want to read about going bad. But if my house almost burned down because of a faulty product, this kind of forum is where I would inform the world. With that said, as a reader you need to balance that with reality. Consider the thousands of people that used the product with no problems. Would they be grabbing the keyboard in search of a forum to exclaim "hey I bought this product and it did what it was supposed to do". I think not.
OTOH I also have noticed an increase in Onkyo complaints. Yeah part of it can be those jumping on the bandwagon, but it has my attention. In fact while talking to an Onkyo rep, I mentioned the increased chatter about failing Onkyos. Knowing I represent a possible sale he transferred the call higher up...... to voice mail! Click, I don't do voice mail for this kind of issue. I wouldn't go to Consumer Reports about products within my hobby, with the exception of "frequency of repair". But even then this kind of information is hard to collect. In any case, Buyer Beware.
Patrick

Patrick
post #5 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM

Liked: 26
The reason is simple...people these days are cheap and don't care about their experience until something goes bad. Onkyo offers $1000 features at a $600 price point and undercuts competition on features and people buy into it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
bo130 likes this.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

The reason is simple...people these days are cheap and don't care about their experience until something goes bad. Onkyo offers $1000 features at a $600 price point and undercuts competition on features and people buy into it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, I was one of those people. Never again.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page