Not getting audio all the time when i turn on my receiver and wdtv media player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this is the set up, its a denon avr-300 receiver, hdmi cable going to a western digital media player, hooked into the cbl hdmi input. when i turn everything on with my harmony 650 remote (maybe relevant because of the sequencing?) i will see the picture on the wdtv player, but get no audio... sometimes! sometimes it turns on and the audio works fine. when i checked the info when its not working under audio it says "unknown" when it is working it says "zero pcm" or "dolby pro log ii"

i tried a different hdmi cable, that didnt fix it. im not having this issue with any of the other devices plugged into the receiver (xbox 360 and blu ray player). does the problem lie with the wdtv or the receiver? its a brand spanking new receiver lol. i never had this problem with my previous receiver which was a cheapo $200 3 old pioneer receiver. i tried switching the input for the wdtv and it 'worked' but it also worked when i switched it back to the cbl hdmi input. as i said it only does this sometimes and it always displays the video.

soo i am at a loss and confused and kind of upset because i just redid my whole system and would be sad if theres something wrong with my new denon. anyways hopefully you guys can post, also btw i havent posted here in a long time but i have had an account for a while.

this is the setup i have: denon avr-300 receiver, klipsch kf-26 towers, kc-25 center, sw 450 subwoofer, and polk tl2 surrounds. not the most high end ever but it was a huge upgrade over what i had. so far im really happy with it.

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Anywho, if anyone has any advice or can help i would really appreciate it. so i just turned on the system now and its working fine. oh and the audio is "pcm zero" not the other way around. but that changes once i watch something. also i tried swapping out the hdmi cable last night for a better one and it did the exact same this, although now its worked 4 times in a row. i dont understand how it would be like this i thought hdmi cables either delivered the whole signal or nothing. im hoping the problem lies at my old wdtv media player because ive wanted to update that to a newer one for a while now anyways.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Probably your Wd. Try setting your Wd audio to stereo output. On my Wd plus if audio is set to dolby and movie is stereo I get no sound. I only change audio setting to dolby output when I know the movie is.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 AM

FYI I use an optical connection for sound. If I remember correctly the Wd Plus model only does Dolby through optical output. check your WD manual for your model.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for your reply. i can change it to stereo but i mean most of the stuff on there is dts or dd. also why would it sometimes recognize it and sometimes not? let me clarify. i turn on the wdtv activity with my harmony remote. so everything is just turned on and set to the correct inputs. i hit the'info' button on the denon remote, and under audio it says 'unknown'. or it says 'pcm zero'.

how can it work sometimes and not others? and when it does says unknown the only way to fix it is to turn the receiver on and off or sometimes the wdtv.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

also im using hdmi through to the reciever then hdmi output to the tv. no optical
Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 AM

Sounds like a handshake issue between receiver and wd. Easy way to check, instead of turning off either unit and waiting for a reboot just unplug hdmi cord from wd for a few seconds, plug back in and see if that resolves the problem. I have done
this on two occasions and it fixed a problem of no picture. Could be HDMI cable also, but most likely handshake issue.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

i had already swapped the cable out for a new one and when i first tried it, it didnt work. although its worked everytime since. but ok next time i will try the method you explained and unplug from the wdtv.

so would i just have to do that every time? is there any way to fix it? would the wdtv live player have the same problem? its just a major annoyance, and i rarely had problems like that on my old receiver as cheap as it was lol
Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 AM

I agree on the annoyance factor.. And if the method I described works, then, yes you would have to do it every time. The one way I know of to try to resolve a handshake issue is to change which device you turn on first.
I use a harmony remote also, and my tv and denon 591 are always on when when I hit the movie button to switch inputs and turn on the Wd.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM

After thought.. An optical cable could possibly solve the issue. You would have to assign it in to the correct input on your receiver. You would get video through hdmi and audio optical.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

not ideal though... i think i only have one optical input and my tv sound output is currently connected to it. ugh. well i do want a wdtv live player anyways... but if i buy it and have the same problem i would be pretty disappointed.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 135
HDMI handshake issues, which is what this looks to be, can be frustrating. You need to see if there is a combination of steps/sequencing that works consistently and then set your Harmony to start the activity that way. Or, if an optical connection works reliably instead, get an optical coax converter since your AVR has a coax input as well.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

I think i fixed the problem. i ran through my harmony settings and there was a step where the remote turned the wdtv to "video" which isnt a setting that exists on it. maybe when i configured it for the new reciever i selected that accidentally because its there by default on the setup screen. anyways i ran through it again without the video on the wdtv and now the sequencing looks right (before it showed the video going on before the receiver on. now it just shows tv, receiver, wdtv). Hopefully this sticks, thanks for your help guys