Is a Marantz NR1604 powerful enough to fill a 12ft x 12ft x 14ft room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm a little bit concerned that given my room dimensions and the (small) speakers I'm considering to buy (CA Minx or Definitive Tech speakers) this AVR is not going to be powerful enough.

From what I read my viewing area doesn't seem to be 'Sound-friendly). The dimensions I'm giving include only the space between the AVR and my sofa but I live in a open plan home and there's an adjoined kitchen on one side of my viewing area, a glass sliding door on the other side and a huge open space behind the sofa so I have a perfect storm for sound waves coming off small sat speakers. I'm not thinking to fill these other areas, just the area I'm providing dimensions for.

Here's some extra info about what I'm trying to do:
  • Listening preferences: Movies: 80%, Music: 20%
  • I'm not looking for big sound but rather clear voice and good surround sound experience.
  • Minimalistic furniture and no space (or intentions) of adding any acoustic panels or however they're called.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    MV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am not sure your question has a 'right' answer. While CA minx speakers are very cute and good for their size, I doubt if they can fill a room with movie sound(without distortion) with any receiver. That receiver is fine for your room if you can go with some bigger and more efficient speakers.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Got it.

I expanded my speakers shortlist to also include:
- Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System
or
- JBL CS6100BG High-Performance Complete 6-Piece Home Theater Speaker System
post #4 of 5 Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM

Liked: 10
I have a lliving room at 16x14x11 and the receiver works just fine. I paired it with Martin Logan MLT-2 speakers and it sounds great. The living room is adjacent to a large breakfast nook which is nex to a large open kitchen. The receiver is great for the entire area. For you benefit, the receiver volume needs to be cranked up 2/3rds of the way to get room filling sound with my specific speakers. This volume level is more than adequate for a dance party or a movie.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-07-2013, 08:20 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
^^
Note that regardless of the speakers used, the average volume level will always be roughly 2/3 of max once Audyssey is run.

@mvillada - As Vishwa points out, it has less to do with the AVR then it does the capability of your speakers to fill the room. On average most speakers will only use < 5W/CH even at reference level volume so a 50W AVR is more than ample.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1604 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page