Onkyo TX-NR709 Multichannel Input Jacks ( In BD/DVD ) not recognizing all the channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-02-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello folks any help with my issue is greatly appreciated.

I was trying to connect my PC to my Receiver.
I have connected 5.1 Analog outputs (Via 3 mini jacks) from my PC to multichannel input jacks (6 RCA Jacks) (BD/DVD) on my receiver but only the front speakers work.

I have used the 5.1 channel test audio file to test speakers only front speakers works.

I have checked the output from all the 3 mini jacks from PC the signal is coming from the PC but for some reason my receiver is only recognizing front channel under BD/DVD.

I was trying to fix this from last three days with out any luck and help or pointers in this matter is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Why don't you have 5.1 analog outputs to connect properly with? Just what do you have? 3 x 2ch connectors may total 6, but that's not the same as 5.1 analog outputs...

Why not use hdmi, or does your pc not have such? Are you sure your pc has multich output capabilities?

post #3 of 15 Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Sounds like its time to visit the sound card software and see if multi-channel needs to be enabled.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #4 of 15 Old 08-03-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Why don't you have 5.1 analog outputs to connect properly with? Just what do you have? 3 x 2ch connectors may total 6, but that's not the same as 5.1 analog outputs...

Why not use hdmi, or does your pc not have such? Are you sure your pc has multich output capabilities?

Thanks for the repies guys,

My PC has onboard sound card which can support 7.1 channels via 4 * 2 ch connectors, I was trying to use 3*2ch connectors to connect to my receiver .

PC also has a onboard video card with hdmi but it is my understanding the analogs produce a better sound.

I am using JRver Media + ASIO + exclusive mode (Trying to get the best possible audio quality from HTPC)
post #5 of 15 Old 08-03-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Sounds like its time to visit the sound card software and see if multi-channel needs to be enabled.

Sound card is working fine I have signal from all the 3* 2 ch cables but my receiver thinks only the front speaker signal is coming in.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds139 View Post

Quote:

Thanks for the repies guys,

My PC has onboard sound card which can support 7.1 channels via 4 * 2 ch connectors, I was trying to use 3*2ch connectors to connect to my receiver .

PC also has a onboard video card with hdmi but it is my understanding the analogs produce a better sound.

I am using JRver Media + ASIO + exclusive mode (Trying to get the best possible audio quality from HTPC)

I'd just use the hdmi personally unless there's some issue with what your pc outputs via hdmi. I'm confused how a .1ch output would be able to be done with a 2ch connector....do you get a spec as to which of the l/r to connect to the sub-in? Not familiar with pc sources/soundcards, don't use one for audio except once in a while via hdmi from my laptop.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-03-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'd just use the hdmi personally unless there's some issue with what your pc outputs via hdmi. I'm confused how a .1ch output would be able to be done with a 2ch connector....do you get a spec as to which of the l/r to connect to the sub-in? Not familiar with pc sources/soundcards, don't use one for audio except once in a while via hdmi from my laptop.

I tried the HDMI and Analog in stereo mode, Analog produces some what cleaner/Smoother audio than HDMI (At least to my ears)

coming to the .1 channel..

Sound card has 4* 2 channel connectors.

1- Front L/R
1-Real L/R
1-Side L/R
1-Center/Subwoofer(This is tricky as most of the time the Red RCA cable would be Subwoofer but we can just switch them if not working)

I have all my HD audio collection on my HTPC so connecting my HTPC to my receiver is a must
post #8 of 15 Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
DACs in receivers are generally as good or better than DACs in a PC sound card or on-board chip. If you have HDMI audio from the PC I'd use that.

Have you tried connecting the L/R analog from the PC to other direct inputs on the 709? Just to make sure those are working?

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #9 of 15 Old 08-03-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Have you tried connecting the L/R analog from the PC to other direct inputs on the 709? Just to make sure those are working?

yes I did all the 6 channels work if I connect them independently to different inputs.
its that the BD/DVD mode cannot process all the channels at once
post #10 of 15 Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
What room correction does your PC use? And how sophisticated is its bass management? The NR709 has MultiEQ XT and it's hard to imagine your sound card will produce better quality audio than your receiver. MCH analog also bypasses features such as Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. Once you get all six channels working, you'll need to do a separate manual calibration since the receiver's auto setup only affects digital processing.

As for only getting stereo, have you set the Audio Selector priority to MultiCh? (p55 of the manual). This should be pretty straightforward. Plug in the six cables. Select BD/DVD and MultiCh on the Audio Selector. At that point, your AVR just does amplification for the analog inputs. There's no other processing involved.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Plug in the six cables. Select BD/DVD and MultiCh on the Audio Selector. At that point, your AVR just does amplification for the analog inputs. There's no other processing involved.

Well I did that too but receiver is just taking the front channel signal and putting them through all the speakers
post #12 of 15 Old 08-04-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds139 View Post

Quote:

Plug in the six cables. Select BD/DVD and MultiCh on the Audio Selector. At that point, your AVR just does amplification for the analog inputs. There's no other processing involved.

Well I did that too but receiver is just taking the front channel signal and putting them through all the speakers

Sure sounds like the pc is outputting just 2.0 instead of multi-ch.

post #13 of 15 Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
How did you determine that the sound card is outputting all six channels? If the output is correct, have you checked levels on the channels in the AVR? Maybe the trim levels are turned way down.

Beyond that, you may need to check with Onkyo customer support as there's really nothing the receiver is doing to the MCH inputs. It simply passes the input through the amps and out to the speakers.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-24-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How did you determine that the sound card is outputting all six channels? If the output is correct, have you checked levels on the channels in the AVR? Maybe the trim levels are turned way down.

Beyond that, you may need to check with Onkyo customer support as there's really nothing the receiver is doing to the MCH inputs. It simply passes the input through the amps and out to the speakers.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Though I gave up on multichannel and settled with Stereo but let me explain how I tested it.

Since connecting all the six channels to BD/DVD is not working

Connected the Front L/R to BD/DVD
Connected the Center/Subwoofer channels to PC
Connected rear L/R to Game
and played speaker test signal which basically says number from 1 to 6

Then I toggled between the modes
In mode BD/DVD I can hear 1 and 2
In Mode PC I can hear 3 and 4
In Mode Game I can hear 5 and 6
post #15 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 PM

I have an issue of trying to run sound from PC to NR709 as well. My PC card has an HDMI output and Windows 7. I get the video thru to the receiver, but do not have any sound at all. Setting on the PC causing the problem? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page