AVS Forum banner

Pioneer Receiver Pure Direct Mode Question

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kage 
#1 ·
I have the Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver and I would like to know if my receiver uses its dac when applying pure direct mode for analog sources (cd player to cd input)?

#4 ·
I did a test with pure direct mode with my Oppo BDP-103 in analog mode and HDMI (audio is set to HDMI 2 on the Oppo) to my Pioneer VSX-1120. Sound quality is slightly better on my receiver. I'm convinced that my receiver slightly degrades analog sound quality because it there are two conversions taking place ( Oppo and VSX-1120) and its not a true pure direct mode. According to the my receiver's manual there is minimal digital treatment in pure direct mode.

#5 ·
That would be three conversions - the Oppo's DAC and the AVR's ADC followed by another DAC. Again, I would be quite surprised if any receiver digitized the analog stereo inputs when set to Pure Direct. Are you saying there's no way to prevent your receiver from digitizing the analog inputs, that it can't simply pass through an analog input to the amplifiers?

#6 ·
I think that there was something wrong with my setup, so when I got home from work today I decided to reset my Pioneer VSX-1120 to default settings and do the calibration settings, now pure direct mode sounds better with analog sources.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.