need advise on running 2 amps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-2013, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to run 2 amps, but my receiver only has one single rca/LFE out. and one of my amps has rca in, and the other is a sub with a built in plate amp with a single rca/LFE in. so I would have to either use 2 rca y spliters, or if there is something else that would be better, I could do that as long as it wasn't to expensive.

I was wondering, how much do rca y splitters degrade the voltage and signal? I am considering putting another one in, so I can keep the 12" jbl I already had and the 2 15s I just got. the jbl has a plate amp, and only needs a single rca/lfe to run it. the 15s are running off a behringer epx3000 that I am currently running off my receivers single rca/lfe output with a rca y splitter. so I would have a rca y splitter coming out of the receiver, with one end going to the jbl, and the other end going to the wall, through the attic back down to another wall, into a single rca/lfe, then into y splitter, and into the amp. do you think that would work if I got good cables?

I just tried it with a cheapy super thin wallmart y splitter, and it worked great until about -15 volume, then the receiver went into protect and said check wires. so im thinking maybe if I got good quality wires that it would work.

or maybe I could get some kind of rca voltage amplifier/splitter.

I was also wondering if its ok to plug my amp into a shared power strip or if I should plug it directly into the wall. I have it in the power strip now to protect it from surges in case of lightning or something. but the power strip also has a couple of other things plugged in so idk if that would keep it from getting full power or not.

thanks.

edit
just realized I had one of my speakers disconnected with wires dangling when I did that, so that might be why it went into protect and said check wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Yup that's the reason why .... wink.gif

Also note that using a RCA splitter cable is indeed the way to add additional subs to a setup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered some better y splitters, so hopefully that works out for me. once they get here ill be going from 1 12 to 2 15s and 1 12.

but as far as plugging in the amp, does plugging it into a shared power strip subtract from the power the amp is capable of drawing and thereby producing?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page