Official Pioneer SC-75/77/79 Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #271 of 977 Old 01-03-2014, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How do you all connect wireless? I see that there is a lot of negative reviews of the Pioneer wireless LAN adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 977 Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Yeah, it's truly crappy. I used to own one (it was given to me for free) and at $0 it's not even worth the money.

I ended up using a powernet adapter and use cat6 cable from the output of the powernet unit to the receiver.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #273 of 977 Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo1990 View Post

Don't buy them trust me. They are built much cheaper than an actual elite models. The transformers constantly buzz even from a few feet away. Also the entire front panel is plastic. I had opened three units and all had the same buzzing sound.

I ended up finally getting the actual elite model and it was night and day. Save your money and buy the actual elite versions.

Received my SC-1528-K this morning. It's so cold outside (-25 Celsius) that I'll wait a few hours before using it.

The box was in relatively good condition (one small hole on the side but not sign of damage) considering the weight.

BTW, for those interested/curious, the from panel is definitely made of aluminium and not plastic.
post #274 of 977 Old 01-03-2014, 08:12 PM

Liked: 13
Just set my sc 1528 , as mention the front is aluminum , one thing I noticed is that the display on the receiver is blue and I think it was mention that the Sc 75 had a amber coloured displayed. This receiver is made in Malaysia , where is the SC 75 made?

the over all build quality of the 1528 is good , but I have never seen a SC elite 75 to compare to. the fit and finish if good can not comment on the inside components . It does have a slight hum to it when it is on , as mention in a earlier post it can be heard to about 2 feet away. In my case it does not bother me as all my components are in a separate room. I have use the MCACC to calibrate the room , I could have used about 2 feet more cable length to get the mic a little closer to my seating area, but it seems to have done a good job balancing all 9 speakers. And the I pad app works great.

I am watching Star Trek in to the darkness right now and the sound is very good and the separation to each channel is excellent in my opinion . My room is about 25 feet long by 12.5 feet wide and 8 foot ceilings . Using a 120 inch screen from a projector .

First impression , for me is that it is a great sounding receiver for the money , but still in the early stages of trying it out. I have noticed as well that the volume needs to be at about -60 before you can start to hears as this was mention in an earlier post about SC 75 but there is still a lot of volume left for high quality sound levels.

Sent from my iPad
post #275 of 977 Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Magictoaster and GPC1, I also pulled the trigger and got my 1528 today. What is the process for initial burn in? Mabye David can advice
post #276 of 977 Old 01-04-2014, 04:29 AM

Looking for some advice on what Video management system to use between an Oppo 103 Or Sc 75 (1528) as I have been running hdmi directly from my 103 to my projector, but the sc 75 seems to have more tweak able settings so I am wondering if I would be better off to go from the 103 to the SC then to projector , just wondering what other people are using to up convert to 1080 and make picture adjustments , keep it direct or go through the receiver.

A oppo 103 question ,I switch my hdmi outputs on the 103 to a/v put the first hdmi out put to the project direct the second hdmi to the input on the Sc for audio , I have the Sc hook up to the projector on it's second hdmi input , but was surprise to see the video coming through the Sc when I was on the second input on the projector, as I thought once you switch the hdmi outputs On the 103 to a/v the second out put would have been only audio signal going to the SC and not audio and video?

Sent from my iPad
post #277 of 977 Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 AM

Here is advice Dave has given about breaking in D class amp see below

David Susilo
Industry Insider

8,796 Posts. Joined 8/2002
Thumbs Up: 193
Yes, for those who don't believe in equipment break-in period, you'll need to hear digital amp. Sibilace is the biggest "problem" with digital amps. I find that sibilance to be tamed after hours of playback (just by having the amp "play" something). I experienced this phenomena with various brands' digital amplifiers.

MCACC have gone through at least 4 major versions since its introduction back around 15 years ago and many minor revisions along the line.

David Susilo
Industry Insider

8,796 Posts. Joined 8/2002
Thumbs Up: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano

The brightness of these receivers is usually relieved by letting it warm up, no? At least that's how it was with the ICE versions. I know with my SC37 when i start it up with some movies it is kind of bright, but within an hour the sound gets fuller. Or i just use THX Cinema.

Yes. This is where breaking in process actually works. Any class-D amp will sound bright for the first 24-48 hours of usage. In the case of Pioneer, I run white noise and set it to EXT STEREO (extended stereo) and leave it playing for 48 hours nonstop. Then the brightness (I call it "brittleness") disappear. Also to tame the sound further, I set the D FILTER to SLOW and X-curve to -1.5 dB.

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
ReplyQuote Multi
post #278 of 977 Old 01-04-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC1 View Post

the over all build quality of the 1528 is good , but I have never seen a SC elite 75 to compare to. the fit and finish if good can not comment on the inside components . It does have a slight hum to it when it is on , as mention in a earlier post it can be heard to about 2 feet away. In my case it does not bother me as all my components are in a separate room.

My unit also has a slight hum but I have to place my ear close to it. I would say that it is comparable to the hum on my Anthem receiver.

I'll probably have the time to set everything and test the receiver today. I also have another SC-1528-K that should be arriving next week so I'll be able to compare if both units exhibit the same slight hum.
post #279 of 977 Old 01-05-2014, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have the SC-75
How do I get online?
I can't find anywhere to enter the network code
Thanks
post #280 of 977 Old 01-05-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post

I have the SC-75
How do I get online?
Thanks

check the manual on the AVNav disc or download it from Pioneer. how and where is all there wink.gif

Home Menu >> System Setup >> Network Setup

Steve
post #281 of 977 Old 01-05-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC1 View Post

Looking for some advice on what Video management system to use between an Oppo 103 Or Sc 75 (1528) as I have been running hdmi directly from my 103 to my projector, but the sc 75 seems to have more tweak able settings so I am wondering if I would be better off to go from the 103 to the SC then to projector , just wondering what other people are using to up convert to 1080 and make picture adjustments , keep it direct or go through the receiver.

A oppo 103 question ,I switch my hdmi outputs on the 103 to a/v put the first hdmi out put to the project direct the second hdmi to the input on the Sc for audio , I have the Sc hook up to the projector on it's second hdmi input , but was surprise to see the video coming through the Sc when I was on the second input on the projector, as I thought once you switch the hdmi outputs On the 103 to a/v the second out put would have been only audio signal going to the SC and not audio and video?

Sent from my iPad

Forget about the second question, as I found in the 103 manual that Video still might be passed through the audio out when you have the hdmi input set for a/v as the video could contain some audio information .
post #282 of 977 Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM

I got an open box sc-75 from Magnolia, which in my case meant no box at all. But that is okay. What made me uneasy is that the calibration mic is Audyssey ACM1HB. Kind of strange that Pioneer supplies their receivers with an Audyssey microphone. Looks like it worked fine. Is that what you guys also get with your receivers? Or is it just a Magnolia improvisation? How critical is to have the mic of an exact model for this receiver? The box contents is so poorly documented almost everywhere that I cannot even find what model it should be.

post #283 of 977 Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
no, PIoneer definitely does not package their receivers with Audyssey mics wink.gif they have their own, a circular disc with the mic itself in a small bump at the top vs Audyssey's tall tower shaped mic. you should use the Pioneer mic made for your model receiver. you can find out which mic by going to Pioneer's Parts site: the correct mic is #APM7011 for <$30.

Magnolia clearly just threw your purchase together with what they had and not much effort. Not to even give you some kind of box is kind of cheesy. Plus, did you get the AVNavigator CD that has the linked manual, online setup tools, the Advanced MCACC PC software, and other tools? if not, this is one more item you didn't get and could be something you would have wanted. and the box contents is very well documented in a quick start sheet plus the manual on the CD disc. if you didn't get these, this omission would also be due to Magnolia. I'm not trying to make you feel bad but I am stating what they should have given you, IMO.

I hope the savings was worth it.

I know what I'd do but it's up to you if you decide to keep it smile.gif

last year, I bought an open box Panamax power center from One Call, for a nice discount, and this was not one of the cheap models. it came sealed in the mfg's box, all foam packaging and everything that was supposed to come with it, incl manual, and the unit was still wrapped in plastic wrap. that's what I call a good open box deal wink.gif

hope you have good luck on your purchase. hopefully, they extended the full factory 2 yr warranty to you as part of the deal. if they didn't, then this deal wasn't a deal.

Steve
post #284 of 977 Old 01-05-2014, 03:26 PM

^ ^

Thanks ss9001. I Got it for $930 + NJ tax, warranty same as new (2 year), CD is there, 2 antennae, sticky leg bumps, screws, several pages of "Getting Started", and that Audyssey mic. Carried away bubble wrapped. Was assured it was not a customer return, but rather an extra floor model (one that was not really used) that they decided to sell to reduce inventory. I will stop by the store and raise the issue with the mic, since they sold it to me 'quietly'. Seems like it works fine, but although an EE myself I don't have a lot of experience with contemporary audio equipment. Thus, need to rely on a good brand, reviews, and advice. Ran auto MCACC fine, but of course with wrong mic, even though it could be better than Pioneer's, I am not sure how good the result is.

post #285 of 977 Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
From everything I've read the mics are different and you will not get the correct results with the one you have. Get yourself the pioneer mic listed above.
post #286 of 977 Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post

I have the SC-75
How do I get online?
Thanks

You need the name and password if you connect wirelessly, using WIFI, or WIFI hot spot. You can do it with the receiver only if you use a WIFI dongle. Since you do not mention that, I assume you try to connect using wired connection. Please note that in most cases it is always faster than wireless.

I used the wired connection. A typical wireless router also has some (usually 4) wired connections. And a typical router always has its internal DHCP - a system that automatically detects any new device connected to the network and properly process it for the connection, including access to the Internet. So I just plugged the LAN cable into the receiver, gave it some time, and got connection to my home network and the Internet. To verify that, go to your PC's file manager and make sure (maybe need to refresh) you have the "SC-75" icon under Network/Media Devices folder (assuming Windows 7 operating system). Double click on that icon (may need to wait first until proper driver is installed automatically) and give permission for streaming from your computer to the receiver.

Only if you have a router without DHCP you need to go to an elaborate setting entering some IP addresses etc. (consult the manual for that). Hopefully, almost nobody nowadays have to do that.

If you have only one LAN socket near your receiver, and you need several network connections, i.e. for TV, Blu-Ray player, etc., then use a hub to split that connection for other devices.

A 4-socket hub will do it in the case I described above. Of course, if all devices will try to access internet or other devices on your home network at the same time, the speed will be 1/4 for each of them.

But that will probably never happen, and in any case you are always bottle-necked by a single connection to Internet from your home. The hub requires no configuration at all. Good luck.

post #287 of 977 Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM

For those that have Pioneer 1528-k (or SC-75) I have one coming in soon and would like to know what you guys think. I also have a Denon X4000 and will be comparing to see who will remain.

I got them for the same price so it really comes down to which one is better (for me).

What concerns me about the Pioneer:
- Denon has the better room calibration
- Denon can power two subs with different settings (I don't have ANY subs yet so not sure how much weight I can put on this one..)
- D3 amp vs A/B
- Running noise from the Pioneer

What do you guys think so far regarding your Pioneer 1528-k and why did you NOT buy the Denon x4000 (it was the same price).

Thanks

-HS
post #288 of 977 Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM

perlovka: Thanks for your detailed reply
The AS-WL300 wireless thing was supplied in the box
post #289 of 977 Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelterSkelter View Post

For those that have Pioneer 1528-k (or SC-75) I have one coming in soon and would like to know what you guys think. I also have a Denon X4000 and will be comparing to see who will remain.

I got them for the same price so it really comes down to which one is better (for me).

What concerns me about the Pioneer:
- Denon has the better room calibration
- Denon can power two subs with different settings (I don't have ANY subs yet so not sure how much weight I can put on this one..)
- D3 amp vs A/B
- Running noise from the Pioneer

What do you guys think so far regarding your Pioneer 1528-k and why did you NOT buy the Denon x4000 (it was the same price).

Thanks
-HS

I don't have my sc-75 yet but I had an X4000 and did not like the sound quality. I sent it back.

I am going to measure my room with rew and calibrate my dual subs with a minidsp.

You cannot make adjustments to the X4000 without Audyssey pro. So unless it gets it right the first time you cannot tweak. That's a deal breaker for me.

Feature wise the x4000 is great. Sound wise I was not impressed.

EDIT: Another thing I just remembered. With Audyssey enabled all 24-bit 96khz audio is down sampled to 48khz because the processor cannot keep up.
post #290 of 977 Old 01-06-2014, 04:14 PM

What is output on the digital optical output on a SC-79? If I have an HDMI input on any of the inputs will it's sound be output on the digital optical out?
post #291 of 977 Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPro5GB View Post

What is output on the digital optical output on a SC-79? If I have an HDMI input on any of the inputs will it's sound be output on the digital optical out?

nope

HDMI video & audio inputs are not down-converted or cross-converted to other digital or analog outputs in receivers. there are 3rd party ext boxes that can remove the encryption and extract the audio and output it as SPDIF/opt and/or 7.1 analog. if you need this capability, sources like HDTVSupply.com, Monoprice, RAM Electronics sell all kinds of HDMI switchers, matirx switchers and converters. receiver companies (to date) don't have the licensing or chipsets to do this, the signal has to be encrypted from receiving to sending chips.

Steve
post #292 of 977 Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 AM

Any idea why the SC-79 power cord is only 2 wire - no ground? Also - it is 18 gage wire. My 59TXI is also 2 wire, but at least it is 14 gage wire.
post #293 of 977 Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkbalt View Post

Any idea why the SC-70 power cord is only 2 wire - no ground? Also - it is 18 gage wire. My 59TXI is also 2 wire, but at least it is 14 gage wire.

To prevent ground loops that cause humming is my guess.
post #294 of 977 Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 AM

Thanks - makes sense
post #295 of 977 Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

Has anybody noticed Any SQ difference with the new Sabre 32 DAC's
Compared to last years models ????

so does this use the ES9018 DAC? Anyone know?

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

post #296 of 977 Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkbalt View Post

Any idea why the SC-79 power cord is only 2 wire - no ground? Also - it is 18 gage wire. My 59TXI is also 2 wire, but at least it is 14 gage wire.

Your 59 was a high current draw class A/B and the 79 is an efficient class D3 which does not require the high current draw for the same output.
Most AV equipment uses the neutral leg (wide spade) for its ground if not supplied with a 3 prong.
post #297 of 977 Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

so does this use the ES9018 DAC? Anyone know?

After a little more digging looks like it is the ES9016

http://www.esstech.com/Pr_2013/Pioneer%20SC-LX57%20130916.pdf

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

post #298 of 977 Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
you are correct. ESS 9016 Sabre not the 9018 Sabre Reference.

Steve
post #299 of 977 Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
you are correct. ESS 9016 Sabre not the 9018 Sabre Reference.
Yep - and the difference would be completely inaudible in nearly every system out there. Of course, ours are special, aren't they?

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #300 of 977 Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 AM

I got the SC-75 last week and like it
But now I can't stop wondering if I should have gone with the SC-77 or even the SC-79
Will the sound quality with movies be better?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page