post #451 of 983 Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 325
welcome smile.gif

yes, your LX87 is equivalent to our SC-79 except for this:

US model has the new HDBaseT HDMI output feature & dropped multichannel analog inputs to make room for it
European model doesn't have the HDBaseT output yet & retained the multichannel inputs

the amps are the same. they are rated at 6 ohms in Europe/UK, while US rates amps at 8 ohms. the lower the ohm speaker impedance, the higher the rated amp output into that load so it looks good on paper to rate at 6 vs 8 ohms wink.gif but at equal speaker loads, no matter if 8, 4 or 6 ohms, the amps in your model and the US model will produce the same power.
BoogWeed likes this.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 983 Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys -

I purchased an Sc-1523k last week and am having some unexpected issues....I would like your opinions...am I doing something wrong or should I return/exchange it?

Two issues:

1. Sometimes when I turn on the unit with either the Pioneer remote or my Harmony One, it will suddenly and quickly turn off.

2. For late night watching so as not to wake the little ones, I set up an MCAAC memory setting that turns off the rears and the sub. The menu would not let me turn off the fronts and leave on the center on....to be honest, I was kind of bummed about that. My old Onkyo 705 had that capability. Anyway, there are 2 problems here, on some commercials only, the sound drops out to almost inaudible. Then when a different commercial or the TV program comes back on, the sound return back to normal. Second problem is that the sound through my center channel (Def Tech Mythos 9) is really poor. The dialogue is fine but all of the supporting sound is faded way back into the background.

Thoughts?
post #453 of 983 Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 PM

I just got an SC-1523 last week too. Coming from an old receiver to this beast I am waaaay over my head so I am gonna have to be asking stupid newby questions. smile.gif I do not have it on my home network and I don't even have a bluray player or HDMI TV yet. Just have it hooked up to a CD player. I can't figure out how to get the set of speakers on my patio (Zone 2) to play the same music I am listening to indoors. I have the indoor speakers hooked up to FL and FR and the outdoor speakers hooked up to SBL and SBR. I have looked at the PDF manual until my eyes swim but cannot figure out what I need to do here to get music outside on the patio.

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #454 of 983 Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 AM

I have outside speakers as well....haven't tested them yet....been too busy trying to figure out the inside problems. Anywho, when you are listening to your CD player inside, open the front panel on the receiver. Press zone 2 on, assuming that is the correct zone. Press multizone control and select the CD player with the left large knob on the receiver. adjust volume for zone 2 with knob on right. Then press multizone control one more time to go back to controlling the main zone.

Or,I think you can press the zone 2 on the remote then use the input select button on remote to pick cd player and adjust the volume.
post #455 of 983 Old 02-13-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post

I just got an SC-1523 last week too. Coming from an old receiver to this beast I am waaaay over my head so I am gonna have to be asking stupid newby questions. smile.gif I do not have it on my home network and I don't even have a bluray player or HDMI TV yet. Just have it hooked up to a CD player. I can't figure out how to get the set of speakers on my patio (Zone 2) to play the same music I am listening to indoors. I have the indoor speakers hooked up to FL and FR and the outdoor speakers hooked up to SBL and SBR. I have looked at the PDF manual until my eyes swim but cannot figure out what I need to do here to get music outside on the patio.

Thanks in advance for any help.
1) You need to set up the AVR so it knows that you HAVE speakers in zone 2. Have you gone through the speaker setup yet?

2) Then you can use the remote, the tablet app, or the front panel to select which zone is on, zone 1 (main speakers) or zone 2 (patio) (or both).

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #456 of 983 Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 AM

Thanks billcrowley and LairdWilliams. I think I have setup the speakers. I picked setup E because I have front speakers attached to FL and FR, and outdoor speakers attached to SBL and SBR. I will eventually attache more speakers as I invest in my system, so setup E seems to best match my goals. I will try you guys suggestions to see if I can get it playing outside.

I have turned my unit on/off many times in the last few days while struggling with setups. Not once has it turned itself off without input from me via the front panel or Pioneer remote.
post #457 of 983 Old 02-13-2014, 08:58 AM

All right, got the zone 2 speakers working now. Turns out I was hitting 'return' instead of 'enter' after selecting the speaker setup and missing the no/yes command to save the selection. Duh. Supposed to be 80s here this weekend so looking forward to happy hour on the patio with tunes again. In-laws in NC are not happy right now. smile.gif

Thanks again! I am sure I will be back with more q's shortly... smile.gif
post #458 of 983 Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 PM

I have a related question to the last few posts.  I am using a sc-75 and I want to set up zone 2 with hdmi.  I want to use the front wide terminals for the audio and hdmi for video.  I am set up right now so HDMI 3 is using hdmizone and working perfect for a full external zone.  I've set up my receiver to know that it is 7.2+Zone 2 and the speakers are wired to the wide terminals.  My question is ... Is there any way to tie the source of HDMIZone to Zone 2 speakers so they always play the same thing?  I know I can set both Zone to and HDMI Zone to the same source and effectively accomplish this but for ease of use It would be nice if I could just tie the two together. 

post #459 of 983 Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcrowley View Post

Hi Guys -

I purchased an Sc-1523k last week and am having some unexpected issues....I would like your opinions...am I doing something wrong or should I return/exchange it?

Two issues:

1. Sometimes when I turn on the unit with either the Pioneer remote or my Harmony One, it will suddenly and quickly turn off.

2. For late night watching so as not to wake the little ones, I set up an MCAAC memory setting that turns off the rears and the sub. The menu would not let me turn off the fronts and leave on the center on....to be honest, I was kind of bummed about that. My old Onkyo 705 had that capability. Anyway, there are 2 problems here, on some commercials only, the sound drops out to almost inaudible. Then when a different commercial or the TV program comes back on, the sound return back to normal. Second problem is that the sound through my center channel (Def Tech Mythos 9) is really poor. The dialogue is fine but all of the supporting sound is faded way back into the background.

Thoughts?

Ok, so after some testing I figured out that if you use the standard button on the remote to change from digital to stereo, the problem of the sound dropping out on some commercials and even beginnings of some TV shows goes away. This is a bummer because the digital mode is much better to listen to.

Any thoughts on why digital mode would drop the sound in the center channel speaker only on some commercials keeping mind that I have the rears and sub turned off and the fronts way low on volume to that they are effectively silent?
post #460 of 983 Old 02-14-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, so after some testing I figured out that if you use the standard button on the remote to change from digital to stereo, the problem of the sound dropping out on some commercials and even beginnings of some TV shows goes away. This is a bummer because the digital mode is much better to listen to.

Any thoughts on why digital mode would drop the sound in the center channel speaker only on some commercials keeping mind that I have the rears and sub turned off and the fronts way low on volume to that they are effectively silent?

you mean Dolby Digital or Dolby ProLogic IIx not "digital" wink.gif digital means as opposed to analog.

terminology smile.gif

and you can add Prologic IIx using the Standard button to derive center channel all day long from a stereo source, incl cable. it may make dialog spread across the front 3 but center will be used.

Steve
post #461 of 983 Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

you mean Dolby Digital or Dolby ProLogic IIx not "digital" wink.gif digital means as opposed to analog.

terminology smile.gif

and you can add Prologic IIx using the Standard button to derive center channel all day long from a stereo source, incl cable. it may make dialog spread across the front 3 but center will be used.

Understood...so I tried using the standard button as well as the other buttons on the remote for the various surround sound functions and could not get Prologic llx to come up. I had it on the HD channel NBC for the Olympics.
post #462 of 983 Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Understood...so I tried using the standard button as well as the other buttons on the remote for the various surround sound functions and could not get Prologic llx to come up. I had it on the HD channel NBC for the Olympics.

by chance are you playing a DTS-MA track? some players send DTS-MA as fixed 7.1 where the side surrounds are duplicated into the rears is you have the player decode as PCM or 5.1 and only 5.1 if the player is sending as bitstreamed data.

if the soundtrack is already 7.1, then you may have limited selectable choices if the player is setup to send as PCM and not bitstream,

if these are not the case, then I have no idea what you're doing wrong but PLIix is one of the Standard modes selected by button pushes. do you get NeoX? THX?

if you were in Pure Direct, Direct or one of the other Auto Surround modes such as Optimum, ALC, you wouldn't get PLIIx but as soon as you press the Standard button you are no longer in Auto Surround mode but Standard which has all the matrix processing.

have you reviewed the manual instructios? descriptions on the remote buttons and all surround formats? this may seem confusing but trust me, it's not that hard wink.gif PLIIx can be added to anything, from 2 channel to 5.1 Dolby Digital, to Dolby TrueHD and even 5.1 DTS-MA with the right player. DTS-MA is trickier since how the player sends it is very important.

known players that duplicated are Panasonics and at least some Pioneers.

Steve
post #463 of 983 Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

one more thing -

how did you setup your side surrounds in the Speaker Menu?

Side? or Rear? that also could make a difference but if you got PLIIx for something and didn't change the surround setting inbetween, then that's a moot point. still worth asking, because whether its Side or Rear can change what gets sent to the rear speakers when playing a 5.1 source.

Steve
post #464 of 983 Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
can anyone tell me the audio and video settings which best suit for bluray.
post #465 of 983 Old 02-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

one more thing -

how did you setup your side surrounds in the Speaker Menu?

Side? or Rear? that also could make a difference but if you got PLIIx for something and didn't change the surround setting inbetween, then that's a moot point. still worth asking, because whether its Side or Rear can change what gets sent to the rear speakers when playing a 5.1 source.

Thanks...I will give the standard button another try and read the manual on the settings a little closer. I only have a 5.1 so, I set the backs as rears. But, I have seen the PL IIx before so I think I have the setup right.
post #466 of 983 Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

side setting does some things differently which may or may not interest you wink.gif but rear is OK and will allow the rear speakers to get matrix processing derived channels not duplicated side channels.

stay with rear and if you saw ProLogic before, you'll see it again smile.gif

Steve
post #467 of 983 Old 02-15-2014, 10:56 AM

I'm contemplating setting up SC-79 for a multi-zone setup as shown in the illustration below.

I would very much welcome any overall input into the wisdom of the arrangement, and I also have a specific question around my "Zone 1" in the diagram:

In Zone 1, I would have a 720p TV and a 1080p 3D projector. I'm fine with them showing the same content all the time. But I was not sure if the HDMI "Common Denominator" issue would give me grief in trying to getting a full 1080p 3D signal out of the projector (even with the 720p TV turned off--in practice the TV and projector would seldom [if ever] be on at the same time.) And similarly in the other direction, would this setup prevent video from reaching the 720p TV?

In both cases, I would use the 5.1 sound setup in the room for audio.

...btw, I'm assuming that the HDMI 1 and HDM2 sources can not be independently selected--please correct my understanding if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

p.s. I'm assuming that for my Zone 2, the only Source 2 would be available as it is the only one coming into SC-79 with component video.

post #468 of 983 Old 02-16-2014, 02:29 AM

Liked: 13
I recently purchased a Pioneer 1523. One of those great deals on Amazon. So far, so good. I run a 8.2 setup (one back surround, 2 height).

I noticed when I use Dolby IIz or DTS:x I'm not getting anything from the rear back surround. Tried with multiple sources material. Is this normal?

I thought the 1523 could play height as well as back surround at the same time. I've checked and made sure the unit is set to 9.1.

Back surround work fine with a 7.1 soundtrack.

Thoughts?
post #469 of 983 Old 02-16-2014, 02:42 AM

Liked: 13
Installing the Pioneer 1523 & Polk OWM3's as Height speakers.

New Pioneer 1523 install.
Added Height speakers.
post #470 of 983 Old 02-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss12 View Post

I recently purchased a Pioneer 1523. One of those great deals on Amazon. So far, so good. I run a 8.2 setup (one back surround, 2 height).

I noticed when I use Dolby IIz or DTS:x I'm not getting anything from the rear back surround. Tried with multiple sources material. Is this normal?

I thought the 1523 could play height as well as back surround at the same time. I've checked and made sure the unit is set to 9.1.

Back surround work fine with a 7.1 soundtrack.

Thoughts?
I responded to you here...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456859/pioneer-and-elite-receivers-2013/270#post_24364352

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player
post #471 of 983 Old 02-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone successfully used a htpc with their receiver. My sc-79 is having issues. The desktop is set at 1080p and video processing is off on the receiver. My sony 600es projector is reporting a 576 resolution. So my xbmc looks like ****. I have an oppo also connected and works great. Can't figure out how to approach this.

Some more detail:
Windows7, GeForce gt610, latest stable nvidia drivers, sc-79 detected fine by the video card
post #472 of 983 Old 02-16-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I use a HTPC with an Nvidia video card with my SC-75. Works perfectly. (Linux Mint, Mythtv, XBMC)

Edit: I have also tested with my Lenovo laptop connected to the front hdmi when using rew. Windows 8.1. Works perfectly.
post #473 of 983 Old 02-16-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Make sure "V CONV" (video conversion) is turned off for that particular input.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #474 of 983 Old 02-16-2014, 03:51 PM

It is off. Think it's interesting the projector reporting 576 resolution. Isn't that the default resolution of the receiver if it can't do the displays resolution. The sony is 4k projector

Wait I did turn it off when I was messing with the oppo on the bd input. But not hdmi4 which the htpc is on. I thought it was a global setting. That must be it. I'll check when I get back home
post #475 of 983 Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Both my computers output correct video with video conversion on and off.
post #476 of 983 Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 PM

That was it. Thanks David. For some reason when I had turned it off before, thought it meant globally. Silly me. rolleyes.gif

Now just got to figure out why xbmc is not detecting the sc-79 when I reboot the computer.

May just be a xbmc thing, but here is what I posted in the xbmc forum, in case anyone is curious.

I built a new windows 7 xbmc with NVidia gt 610 and latest stable drivers. I have tried with Frodo 12.3 and latest nightlies with same result.
The video card and audio all show up fine and working in windows.

Installed xbmc and choose wsapi SC-79( my pioneer receiver). Works fine. Now if I restart xbmc or reboot windows (I have xbmc start when pc boots), that wsapi selection is gone and in its place is only directsound, which results in crazy jerkiness, stuttering, etc.
But its like xbmc cant see the wsapi anymore, its gone. Now if I exit xbmc to windows desktop, the audio sees the receiver just fine in NVidia control panel, and if I then start xbmc again from the desktop it sees it just fine.
So, only when I reboot for some reason xbmc loses the receiver.
David Susilo likes this.
post #477 of 983 Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 AM

Can anybody tell me whether we can succeed to have both front height and front wide to sound together without or sacrifice the surround rear speakers and connect the front height/front wide speakers via the pre-out in order to achieve 9.2 channels ?
post #478 of 983 Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxxrge View Post

Can anybody tell me whether we can succeed to have both front height and front wide to sound together without or sacrifice the surround rear speakers and connect the front height/front wide speakers via the pre-out in order to achieve 9.2 channels ?

"no" to the 1st question
"sort of" on the 2nd question

current & previous models are 9.1 receivers and the preamp outputs are completely tied to the speaker configurations.

if you use speaker configuration A, you can have FW OR FH with Rears but not FW AND FH at the same time. there are only 9 amp channels.
if you use speaker configuration E, you can have FW AND FH but no Rears, since the Rear connections are used in a Zone 2.

this also translates to using the preamp outs. if you look at the manual on connecting ext amps, it says using the preamp outs depend on the speaker config selected.

on the 2nd question, I said "sort of" because there is nothing stopping you from connecting amps up to all the preamp outs or connecting all the speaker terminals up and using the Speaker button on the remote to pick FW or FH depending on which pair you want to use. but you are still limited to 9.1 channels. if you want to use the surround rears, you can't have FW & FH at the same time, even with preamp outs & ext amps. but you can connect up FW & FH outputs and use one pair at a time.

Pioneer hasn't yet adopted a true free amp assignment feature. hopefully, this is something they'll change in the future.

Steve
post #479 of 983 Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 AM

Thanks Steve.
post #480 of 983 Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a way to turn Speaker B on/off via iControlAV2013 app?

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page