Official Pioneer SC-75/77/79 Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 944 Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Bigham16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I never tried the composites on the Denon 4520. The 4520 did an excellent job with my subs and didn't feel the need for the SMS-1 anymore.

The composite issue was not the reason I returned the SC-79. The SMS-1 was the only device I have that uses those wires. The main reason I moved to the Denon was for the 11.2, which the SC-79 can't do. Only wides "or" height but not both at the same time. Still puzzled why Pioneer didn't allow for 11.2 in a $3,000 receiver?!?!?!?

I do miss the SC-79 for music but the 4520 does a better job with everything else in my room. Of course this is my opinion smile.gif

Oh, I have been a Pioneer Elite owner ever since I started this journey in home theater, 9 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony426 View Post


 How about the Denon you replaced it with? Any issues with composite video?
tony426 likes this.
Bigham16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 944 Old 06-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Newbie
 
fbpierri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new on sc79, what can I do with his USB DAC? (I have a 15" retina MacBook) How different is it from play a high quality song with media server?

Thank you
fbpierri is offline  
post #903 of 944 Old 06-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Newbie
 
adamhodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Is it worth it to bi-amp my speakers?  I have the SC-77.  Klipsch Reference speakers.  Thanks.

adamhodge is offline  
post #904 of 944 Old 06-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
JewDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've been having an issue with my Pioneer SC-75. I purchased it back in September last year. I have an Epson 5030 projector hooked up to the Receiver with a 50 ft Blue Rigger HDMI cable. Please know before I explain that this issue never happened with my previous Onkyo TX-NR808.

The two issues are with video. The first one is with my HTPC. If my PC goes into standby, sometimes the video on the projector never comes back. Or when it does, the resolution and picture settings have changed and the only way to fix it is to restart my PC, or right click on the desktop and choose Nvidia Control Panel. After that, the projector goes black and comes back with the correct settings. It's very weird.

The second video issue is with 3D. Almost everytime I watch a 3D movie, the video signal is lost and the only way to get it back, is to turn the projector off and back on again. Which takes a good 2-3 minutes. I thought maybe the Darbee I had in the chain wasn't agreeing with the Pioneer so I removed it and the issue is still happening. Again, this never occurred with my previous Onkyo Receiver.

Any ideas or suggestions? I really hope this doesn't mean I have a defective Receiver. Thanks guys

JewDaddy is online now  
post #905 of 944 Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
MarkB49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wouldn't put the SC-79's for sale just yet.

Over at the Pioneer website I didn't see any "New" SC models listed. All Have Discrete Direct Energy amps. That is listed on the VSX-524 all the
way up to the VSX-80.

Basic comparison

SC-79
Price $3000
Class D amp
140 watt
weight 38.75 LBS

VSX-80
Price $700
Discrete Direct Energy Amp
90 watt
Weight 21.56 LBS.

I did notice that amazon went up recently on the SC-72 .I was hoping to get it later this year.
BTW the SC 72 weighs over 31 pounds!!
MarkB49 is offline  
post #906 of 944 Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Member
 
teebiz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having issues with the Icontrol app and airplay: I recently purchased a the sc-75 that I connected to my home network via Ethernet cable. The receiver shows up on my network and I'm able to get internet radio, pandora and personal music to play thru my network on my receiver. I'm using (icontroav2013) on my iPhone that should allow me to control the receiver but I can't get it to connect nor can I get airplay to work. Sc-75 shows on my phone but doesn't connect.

I was thinking I needed to open ports on my router for the app and airplay to get it to work but I'm not clear on how. I have a older actiontec DSL modem and a vonage router. Do I open the ports on the router, modem or receiver to get my iPhone to communicate with the receiver? The port for the app is 8102 and the port for airplay is 3689. There's so many IP addresses associated with my network, I don't know which to use. Also, the receiver allows me to create 4 ports within the receiver itself. Has anyone opened ports on their home network to get this to work?

I've been going at this for 3 days, please help.
Thanks
teebiz11 is offline  
post #907 of 944 Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Member
 
MCNE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebiz11 View Post
Having issues with the Icontrol app and airplay: I recently purchased a the sc-75 that I connected to my home network via Ethernet cable. The receiver shows up on my network and I'm able to get internet radio, pandora and personal music to play thru my network on my receiver. I'm using (icontroav2013) on my iPhone that should allow me to control the receiver but I can't get it to connect nor can I get airplay to work. Sc-75 shows on my phone but doesn't connect.

I was thinking I needed to open ports on my router for the app and airplay to get it to work but I'm not clear on how. I have a older actiontec DSL modem and a vonage router. Do I open the ports on the router, modem or receiver to get my iPhone to communicate with the receiver? The port for the app is 8102 and the port for airplay is 3689. There's so many IP addresses associated with my network, I don't know which to use. Also, the receiver allows me to create 4 ports within the receiver itself. Has anyone opened ports on their home network to get this to work?

I've been going at this for 3 days, please help.
Thanks
Could possibly be ports in your router. Do you have another device possible android to just test the app with first? Also I'm sure you've done this but verify that your phone is on the same subnet (Wi-Fi) as the receiver.

I need to try my SC-79 to see if airplay workS. Couldn't get it working with my vsx-1123 yet. Not a must have for me though.
MCNE is offline  
post #908 of 944 Old 06-13-2014, 05:12 AM
Member
 
teebiz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNE View Post
Could possibly be ports in your router. Do you have another device possible android to just test the app with first? Also I'm sure you've done this but verify that your phone is on the same subnet (Wi-Fi) as the receiver.

I need to try my SC-79 to see if airplay workS. Couldn't get it working with my vsx-1123 yet. Not a must have for me though.
Yes I have a Galaxy tab I tried with and still can't connect. The subnet mask are the same as we'll. I guess it's not a HUGE deal but if a pay a lot of money for something I'd like things to work properly. I'm thinking it's gonna come down to upgrading my router which is old anyway or getting a wireless adapter.
teebiz11 is offline  
post #909 of 944 Old 06-13-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I've found the key to reliable use of the i control app on an iphone is to reserve an specific IP address in the router assigned to the receiver.

My experience with the app is that it doesn't automatically update IP addresses if the router assigns a new one as other connected devices are turned on/off. Even putting in the new IP address didn't always get recognized w/o rebooting the phone, router or both.

I use Netgear routers. If your predates reserve IP addresses, then you could try putting in a static IP address in the receiver but that is more complex.

Port forwarding, opening ports, etc in the router was not required in my experience.

It just works. so updating your router will probably be a good thing

Steve
ss9001 is offline  
post #910 of 944 Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 AM
Member
 
teebiz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I'll see if that does the trick.
teebiz11 is offline  
post #911 of 944 Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
hoopsrgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Airplay for me is a huge thing. I have zone 2 and 3 going into our backyard. While doing yard work, or having people over and using the pool, the ability to use Itunes and send the signal out back via airplay is a big deal to me.

Using either a laptop or ipad to access Itunes makes selecting music soooooooooo much quicker than using the software in the Pioneer where you have to scroll through hundreds of titles before you find what you want.

That being said, being able to use it on a daily basis is hit and miss for me as it sometimes connects and sometimes it doesnt. My phone has Icontrol and it is the same thing.

I suspect my problem is as Steve described and I need a static Ipaddress to get rid of the inconsistent connection problems.

dont give up on it though, as like i said it is a GREAT feature for me personally.
hoopsrgreat is offline  
post #912 of 944 Old 06-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
JewDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
I've been having an issue with my Pioneer SC-75. I purchased it back in September last year. I have an Epson 5030 projector hooked up to the Receiver with a 50 ft Blue Rigger HDMI cable. Please know before I explain that this issue never happened with my previous Onkyo TX-NR808.

The two issues are with video. The first one is with my HTPC. If my PC goes into standby, sometimes the video on the projector never comes back. Or when it does, the resolution and picture settings have changed and the only way to fix it is to restart my PC, or right click on the desktop and choose Nvidia Control Panel. After that, the projector goes black and comes back with the correct settings. It's very weird.

The second video issue is with 3D. Almost everytime I watch a 3D movie, the video signal is lost and the only way to get it back, is to turn the projector off and back on again. Which takes a good 2-3 minutes. I thought maybe the Darbee I had in the chain wasn't agreeing with the Pioneer so I removed it and the issue is still happening. Again, this never occurred with my previous Onkyo Receiver.

Any ideas or suggestions? I really hope this doesn't mean I have a defective Receiver. Thanks guys
Anything?
JewDaddy is online now  
post #913 of 944 Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Member
 
MCNE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebiz11 View Post
Yes I have a Galaxy tab I tried with and still can't connect. The subnet mask are the same as we'll. I guess it's not a HUGE deal but if a pay a lot of money for something I'd like things to work properly. I'm thinking it's gonna come down to upgrading my router which is old anyway or getting a wireless adapter.
Sounds like you are on the right track with the ports then. If you know which ports are being used you can test them with a PC. It's been a while since I've done it but there are tools to do this. I use AT&T's u-verse router and needed to have them give me the access to enable the Wi-Fi and stuff like that so I might need to do the same with Airplay possible. Will test that tonight.

I used DHCP for all my equipment and have never had an issue with access via a mobile device. It usually works or not but nothing intermittent. I must say though sometime just using the darn remote is much faster
MCNE is offline  
post #914 of 944 Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
rprice54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Okay, so the last two times I've tried to start up my SC-75, the screen is blinking. I can see the source video, but it blinks in and out with static. I've tried several sources, and two displays, they all do the same thing. If I put the receiver in standby, the screen is normal, no blinking, so the pass through works. When I turn the receiver back on the blinking starts again. If I unplug the receiver and wait 30 seconds and plug it back in, everything works as normal. I even tried a few shut down/start up cycles today, and it seems to be working... until I try to turn it on tomorrow? I haven't changed any connections or components, and the problem goes away with standby, so I don't think it's a cable or connection issue.

I did a search on this thread for blinking, didn't turn up anything.

Firmware is up to date. I just bought it, so it's well under warranty. Hopefully it will quit misbehaving. The only catch is if I have to send this in for repairs. We just sold our house, the home theater was part of negotiations and we close in 2 weeks. Don't want to piss off the buyers if the AVR I promised them isn't there. Does Pio ever do advance replacement? I had HDMI issues with my Onkyo before this, not thrilled...
rprice54 is online now  
post #915 of 944 Old 06-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone I just created my account but, I have been reeding the site reviews and post for months now.

I’m trying to put a small HT in my living room. this are the components I have so far.

1- PIONEER ELITE SC-77
2 - BIC AMERICA floor standing spk. (Using as front)
1 - B&W center channel HTM62
1 -vtf-15h subwoofer
2- B&W 865 S2 (on their way)

Yesterday morning I unbox and install the AVR for the first time to try it while the 2 685 arrive.
connected the 2 BIC A. as from the center channel and the subwoofer.
1- SONOS CONNECT via OPTICAL cable
1- SONNY BLURAY
1- PLASMA TV

Ran the Full auto MCACC calibration everything fine found the 2 fronts, center and subwoofer.

MY PROBLEM.
I can’t get subwoofer to work out side the MCACC calibration the first thing I try was the X-men bluray movie DTS HD. tried all the settings and nothing the same happened when I try with the SONOS connect. I spend all day yesterday and today and haven’t been able to make it work.

I have the sub connected properly from the SUBWOOFER 1 in the receiver and in the LFE connection in the subwoofer. The sub is the to AUTO the light is red when there is no signal present and turn GREEN when have a signal, and it does turn green when I turn on the AVR. I just don’t get any feedback from the sub, I set the volume in the sub and the avr and nothing.

I’m frustrated already and I know the SUB is not the problem I use it for 2 weeks with my pioneer vsx-822k without any problems.

I’m posting here to see if you can help me figure this out, because I have the impression that is something I’m not doing and option in the avr that I don’t know about probably, something that may need to be set on or off, don’t know.

thank you.
AQUIELIAS is offline  
post #916 of 944 Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Member
 
xhattan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUIELIAS View Post
Hello everyone I just created my account but, I have been reeding the site reviews and post for months now.

I’m trying to put a small HT in my living room. this are the components I have so far.

1- PIONEER ELITE SC-77
2 - BIC AMERICA floor standing spk. (Using as front)
1 - B&W center channel HTM62
1 -vtf-15h subwoofer
2- B&W 865 S2 (on their way)

Yesterday morning I unbox and install the AVR for the first time to try it while the 2 685 arrive.
connected the 2 BIC A. as from the center channel and the subwoofer.
1- SONOS CONNECT via OPTICAL cable
1- SONNY BLURAY
1- PLASMA TV

Ran the Full auto MCACC calibration everything fine found the 2 fronts, center and subwoofer.

MY PROBLEM.
I can’t get subwoofer to work out side the MCACC calibration the first thing I try was the X-men bluray movie DTS HD. tried all the settings and nothing the same happened when I try with the SONOS connect. I spend all day yesterday and today and haven’t been able to make it work.

I have the sub connected properly from the SUBWOOFER 1 in the receiver and in the LFE connection in the subwoofer. The sub is the to AUTO the light is red when there is no signal present and turn GREEN when have a signal, and it does turn green when I turn on the AVR. I just don’t get any feedback from the sub, I set the volume in the sub and the avr and nothing.

I’m frustrated already and I know the SUB is not the problem I use it for 2 weeks with my pioneer vsx-822k without any problems.

I’m posting here to see if you can help me figure this out, because I have the impression that is something I’m not doing and option in the avr that I don’t know about probably, something that may need to be set on or off, don’t know.

thank you.
The MCCACC probably has the speakers set to Large. Set them to Small manually and that should fix the problem.
xhattan is offline  
post #917 of 944 Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Newbie
 
adamhodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got the 77 and I'm having trouble getting center channel audio out of DirecTV. The channel tests ok in the Pioneer setup menu. I can use various surround modes when listening to iTunes and the center works fine.


I've got my DirecTV box set to output Dolby Digital. From there it goes HDMI to the Xbox One - Set to output DD bitstream over HDMI...that goes to the receiver and I get the DD lights. What am I doing wrong?


adam
adamhodge is offline  
post #918 of 944 Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Newbie
 
adamhodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhodge View Post
I've got the 77 and I'm having trouble getting center channel audio out of DirecTV. The channel tests ok in the Pioneer setup menu. I can use various surround modes when listening to iTunes and the center works fine.


I've got my DirecTV box set to output Dolby Digital. From there it goes HDMI to the Xbox One - Set to output DD bitstream over HDMI...that goes to the receiver and I get the DD lights. What am I doing wrong?


adam



I figured it out...sorry for getting frustrated and posting here without thinking....


The problem is the Xbox menu organization...They have audio settings under "system" to setup DD or DTS out....then you go back to the "Oneguide" settings and they have an "audio" menu under there where you can select surround...so crazy.
adamhodge is offline  
post #919 of 944 Old 06-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Starting to see these models come down in price. I just picked up a new SC-79 on ebay for $1650 shipped, pretty good deal I think. I went ahead and got this model even though the new one is coming out soon mainly for the USB DAC, since I don't need HDMI2 on the new one and can't really afford 3k for a receiver. I don't necessarily need all the power this has but the USB DAC is only available on the top end model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat View Post
Airplay for me is a huge thing.
Airplay is a good feature but the biggest problem for me is that it does not do anything other than 16/44. Anything higher is downsampled before it is streamed. So you have to do a wired USB or optical connection or use another streaming solution to get 24/96 or 24/192 to the receiver. I've been accumulating more hifi tracks from HDtracks.com so I definitely wanted something to support that. I'm planning to setup a Mac mini as an audio server connected via USB, then I can just use my iPhone to control playback on that.

Last edited by hifiaudio; 06-29-2014 at 02:44 PM.
hifiaudio is offline  
post #920 of 944 Old 06-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbpierri View Post
I'm new on sc79, what can I do with his USB DAC? (I have a 15" retina MacBook) How different is it from play a high quality song with media server?

Thank you
The main advantage is the asynchronous nature of the USB connection. With network streaming, your computer/media server is controlling the timing of the data stream, which can introduce inaccuracies (jitter). With async USB, the receiver takes over control of the data stream and therefore ensures that the DAC receives uninterpreted data with optimal timing.

Not sure which media server solution you are using, but another potential issue is that some do not correctly support higher than CD quality files (this is the problem with AirPlay/Apple TV). With Mac, you can use a program like Pure Music or BitPerfect to auto switch the output sample rate based on the source file.

Last edited by hifiaudio; 06-29-2014 at 03:00 PM.
hifiaudio is offline  
post #921 of 944 Old 06-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Member
 
xhattan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So, Pioneer is selling a huge share to Onkyo? Lucky I got my SC-75 before that deal. Pioneer will never, ever, be the same again. Hoping to upgrade to a Marantz separates setup in a couple of years, once 4K and Dolby Atmos have proven themselves.

My heart really aches on this news, Pioneer had such a marvelous sound. Now, they will become a heating device with crappy HDMI Board.
xhattan is offline  
post #922 of 944 Old 06-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Member
 
xhattan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
So, Pioneer is selling a huge share to Onkyo? Lucky I got my SC-75 before that deal. Pioneer will never, ever, be the same again. Hoping to upgrade to a Marantz separates setup in a couple of years, once 4K and Dolby Atmos have proven themselves.

My heart really aches on this news, Pioneer had such a marvelous sound. Now, they will become a heating device with crappy HDMI Board.
Link:

Pioneer Unloads Home Electronics Business
xhattan is offline  
post #923 of 944 Old 06-30-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
So, Pioneer is selling a huge share to Onkyo? Lucky I got my SC-75 before that deal. Pioneer will never, ever, be the same again. Hoping to upgrade to a Marantz separates setup in a couple of years, once 4K and Dolby Atmos have proven themselves.

My heart really aches on this news, Pioneer had such a marvelous sound. Now, they will become a heating device with crappy HDMI Board.
No one outside the industry really knows what will take place until it happens they may just continue business as usual.
oztech is offline  
post #924 of 944 Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio View Post
Airplay is a good feature but the biggest problem for me is that it does not do anything other than 16/44. Anything higher is downsampled before it is streamed. So you have to do a wired USB or optical connection or use another streaming solution to get 24/96 or 24/192 to the receiver.
Where do you find this indicated, or what is your source of information for this? The sampling frequency appears blank for my SC-77 anytime Airplay is used, so I'm not seeing anything that either indicates passthrough of 24/96 or 24/192 or downsampling to 16/44 as you suggest, meaning I honestly can't tell for sure either way.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #925 of 944 Old 07-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
Where do you find this indicated, or what is your source of information for this? The sampling frequency appears blank for my SC-77 anytime Airplay is used, so I'm not seeing anything that either indicates passthrough of 24/96 or 24/192 or downsampling to 16/44 as you suggest, meaning I honestly can't tell for sure either way.
This is a long running thread on the subject at the apple forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2630381

Some tests were done on it, and someone contacted Denon who told them the same thing.

Apparently iTunes downsamples it because it was designed to work with Apple TV primarily and that is hardware limited in the sample rate output it supports.
hifiaudio is offline  
post #926 of 944 Old 07-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Member
 
DonRSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There isn't a dedicated forum for the 1523k (SC75 equivalent), so I thought I would pose this question here....

Is it worth it to upgrade from a Pioneer Elite SC27 to a Pioneer SC1523k?

I only use 1 multizone for the outside speakers and that can be achieved with either receiver..only to play DirecTV football games outside.
5.1 config here, maybe upgrade to 7.1 "one day".
Dont really stream music as I use a portable bluetooth speaker.

The 1523k is in route to me now from Amazon for $799.
Money isn't the issue.

Im sure I can sell my mint SC27 box and all for $500-$600 and recoup some money.....but is it worth it to even bother with this "upgrade"???

PSN: DonVCorleone
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
DonRSD is offline  
post #927 of 944 Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Senior Member
 
MarkB49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The NEW Pioneer Elite Line of Receivers:


SC-89,SC-87,SC-85,SC-82,SC-81
VSX-80,VSX-44


A nice sight to see over at Pioneer!!
MarkB49 is offline  
post #928 of 944 Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio View Post
This is a long running thread on the subject at the apple forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2630381

Some tests were done on it, and someone contacted Denon who told them the same thing.

Apparently iTunes downsamples it because it was designed to work with Apple TV primarily and that is hardware limited in the sample rate output it supports.
Since the SC-7X won't show a sampling frequency at all for Airplay (either on its own display or in the iControl App Status Viewer) I suspect you may be correct, but I consider the information in the Apple discussion thread far from providing any conclusive evidence of what sampling frequency is delivered via Airplay using the latest version of iTunes (11.2.2) with a 2013 Pioneer receiver (with the latest firmware). Denon UK's comment was in Dec 2011, or Jan 2012, well before the SC-7X series was available, and I believe there have been several updates to iTunes since that time as well.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #929 of 944 Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Apple isn't going to make it easy to get a definitive answer because they are not that open about the internal workings of their products. But it's been confirmed for years that Airplay downsamples and until I see some information to indicate that has changed, I seriously doubt it has.

Apple has not been a huge proponent of hi res audio. I mean good grief you still can't even buy CD quality files on iTunes.
hifiaudio is offline  
post #930 of 944 Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Member
 
CarloM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
The NEW Pioneer Elite Line of Receivers:


SC-89,SC-87,SC-85,SC-82,SC-81
VSX-80,VSX-44


A nice sight to see over at Pioneer!!
Nothing super compelling in those new models over the SC-79, even though I'm still within the return period I believe. Add to it the fact that I got it for half price from Magnolia, it would cost me net $1500 to buy the new 89 if I returned my 79. I think I'm going to stand pat and continue enjoying the heck out of my 79! But I am really glad that Pioneer is still "in the AVR game".
CarloM is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off