Official Pioneer SC-75/77/79 Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1081 of 1100 Old 04-09-2015, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also another work around is to run zone 1/2 (seperate cables into hdmi input 1/2 on your tv) send cd/in1 into zone one. Run zone 2 hdmi into hdmi 2 on your "zone 1" tv? Could be less complicated but it works without the piggy back rca's.

Also anyone else have martin logan motion 60xt's hooked up to this beast of a receiver?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1100 Old 04-13-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmariano View Post
After some experimenting, it looks like the piggy back rca's are the only work around. This is unfortunate because it would literally be so easy to assign CD/IN1 as the analog input to select for whatever hdmi source rather than have 2 or 3 piggy back RCA's (CD/IN1 to analog for HDMI1/HDMI3).
Painful workarounds noted here - but it's nice to know that it can be done! I had given up on trying (I only really have a need for this functionality once or twice a year). It was also very simple to do on my old Denon (which is about the only thing I miss about my Denon compared to the Pioneer...)
post #1083 of 1100 Old 04-18-2015, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was exploring my settings today and experimented with the Resolution settings.

I found it set to 480p. I cycled through the 720,1080i, p, and pure settings and got expanded or magnified screens clipping my OSD popup.

My Cable box is a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD set to out put @ 1080i, and the the 480i override is off. The remote Zoom setting defaults to normal.

With the receiver resolution set to 480p all is well and I see HD but I am curious whats going on here.

Thanks

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #1084 of 1100 Old 04-21-2015, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe I asked wrong?

Why would I need my:

"Video Parameter Resolution" set to 480p to get a proper image on a 42" 1080i plasma TV?

I have the cable box outputting 1080i.

If I swap to 720p or higher the screen magnifies.

Thanks

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #1085 of 1100 Old 05-08-2015, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help with ZOne 2

I have hooked up my speakers to front wide and then tries on front height to make my zone to play. i had a device set to play in zone 2 but i am not getting any sound at all. The Manuel and even on screen display don't seem to help me. i Hae an elite vxs 80 . AM i not putting it in 5.1 right. I had the tuner for zone 1 and then i had ipod for zone 2 and had ipod hooked up but i did not work. I am at a loss, i have tried everything. How do i make the speaker B front wide speakers connectors output the sound?

Thanks for any help
post #1086 of 1100 Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Spotify Problems

I am constantly having issues connecting to spotify. Once it's connected it's fine but, sometimes it takes a while to get there. I don't really know what actually fixes it each time but, eventually after unplugging the avr, restarting iPad, restarting the app it starts. Anyone else had a problem like this and figured it out? Thanks.

Steve
post #1087 of 1100 Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
I am constantly having issues connecting to spotify. Once it's connected it's fine but, sometimes it takes a while to get there. I don't really know what actually fixes it each time but, eventually after unplugging the avr, restarting iPad, restarting the app it starts. Anyone else had a problem like this and figured it out? Thanks.
I have a SC-75 that experiences this issue, not constantly like yourself, but occasionally. No pattern to it that I can pinpoint, happens maybe once in 10 connection attempts. The fix for me is the same, unplug AVR and restart the app. Note that I am using an Android device for control not an Apple device. I have not figured out what the cause is, just wanted to let you know I also have the troubles.

Another bothersome aspect of Spotify for me: I am using Zone 2 on my patio (Zone 3 has nothing connected) and if I have Zone 1 off and pipe Spotify to Zone 2, Zone 1 turns on also with Spotify. Alternately, if Zone 1 is already on and I want to Spotify at Zone 2 it also takes over Zone 1. Not a huge deal in the first case I manually turn off Zone 1, in the second case the input needs to be returned to what it was before turning on Spotify. Second case can be very annoying if others are watching a movie etc. I have no solution for this either.
post #1088 of 1100 Old 06-02-2015, 12:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown3611 View Post
I have a SC-75 that experiences this issue, not constantly like yourself, but occasionally. No pattern to it that I can pinpoint, happens maybe once in 10 connection attempts. The fix for me is the same, unplug AVR and restart the app. Note that I am using an Android device for control not an Apple device. I have not figured out what the cause is, just wanted to let you know I also have the troubles.

Another bothersome aspect of Spotify for me: I am using Zone 2 on my patio (Zone 3 has nothing connected) and if I have Zone 1 off and pipe Spotify to Zone 2, Zone 1 turns on also with Spotify. Alternately, if Zone 1 is already on and I want to Spotify at Zone 2 it also takes over Zone 1. Not a huge deal in the first case I manually turn off Zone 1, in the second case the input needs to be returned to what it was before turning on Spotify. Second case can be very annoying if others are watching a movie etc. I have no solution for this either.
Yes, I have the Zone 2 issue also. Thanks for letting me know it isn't just me and/or my system. I did figure out one thing though regarding my OP. When it has trouble connecting I noticed the progress bar on the current song being played is all the way to the end. If I pull it back it connects. Hopefully this is something an update within the Spotify app will fix as we know Pioneer is not going to update the AVR.

Steve
post #1089 of 1100 Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irien View Post
New SC-LX77 owner here - was fortunate to be able to grab an "end of life" unit for a good price.

I'm a touch concerned about some of the video functionality, though. I am coming from a series of Onkyos (all of which have gone pfutt shortly after warranty!) and perhaps am just not used to Pioneer. Or maybe this is a Friday afternoon unit.

Basically, on my Onkyo, I could tell it that I wanted to output at 1080p, and it'd upscale anything lower, but respect framerate (24,50,60hz). So, if PlayStation is outputting 720p60 it becomes 1080p60. If HTPC is outputting 1080p50 it stays 1080p50. If Playstation is outputting 1080p24 it stays at 24hz.

On the LX77, the "auto" setting insists on outputting 720p when PS3 renders 720p which triggers different calibration stuff on the TV, plus I'm not a massive fan of the Panasonic TV scaler vs Qdeo (or Vida in Onkyo). I can force 1080p by selecting 1080p on v.conv res setting, but then it doesn't respect 24hz. If I select 1080p24 on that menu, then all sources are down-converted to 24hz. The only solution I can see is to manually adjust it depending on what I'm feeding in, but the mrs won't like that!

Next we have something of a killer - black levels. With v.conv enabled, the black levels seem more-or-less as I'd expect (ie. similar to connecting TV direct to source) - ie. RGB normal. With v.conv disabled or Standby Passthru, black level drops to RGB-full. The effect is that everything becomes darker and shadow detail is lost. This is a problem, because the obvious solution to the 1080p24 thing is to turn off v.conv when watching 24hz blu-rays. It *may* be that 24hz blu-rays aren't RGB so won't exhibit the problem (most of my sources are RGB by default), but that's harder to confirm.

Is all this normal?

At the moment, all I can do is run the system with v.conv on all the time (despite the Pioneer manual hinting that you may prefer it off) with either auto, 1080p, or 1080p24 depending on material. Fiddly.

Also, has anyone overcome the lack of definable inputs on the remote? I'm currently "wasting" TV, CD, iPod, Tuner, MHL and so on, whilst trying to feed in 6 HDMI sources. There are basically only 4 properly definable buttons as far as I can see?

Finally, is there any way to switch volume presentation into 0-100 rather than 11 to -70db notation? I find the latter overly complex, and again trying to explain why volume is negative to the good lady is, well, "interesting". I know the Onkyo offered both via a config option.

PS, am loving the audio quality, so don't want to sound like a moaning-minnie, but it's just that the video and general usability seems a big step back from my (2.5 year!) old Onkyo.
I can confirm this with my Pioneer Elite SC-LX87:

If the pioneer receivers RGB Full and V-CONV is off then it clips (disgards) 0-16 and 235-255.

The only way around this is to either
1. Set V-CONV to on
2. Set your video device to use RGB Full but leave video level as 16-235 (ie don't expand to 0-255)
3. Don't use RGB Full, ie use RGB Limited / YCbCr
4. If you use HTPC then run 2x seperate HDMI outputs, 1 for TV and 1 for audio, ie. bypass the AVR
5. Use HD-Zone and use HDMI2+3

HTPC (MediaPortal) / Pioneer SC LX87 / Wharfedale Jade 7 Fronts, 5 Rears, 2c Center / DIY Sub

Last edited by kiwijunglist; 06-17-2015 at 03:17 AM.
post #1090 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all,

This time I'm stumped.
Previously I was experiencing a/the down sampling issue discussed somewhere around post# 235 of this thread. I think I understand that whole thing now - how the receiver down samples output according Direct/Pure Direct vs. Surround modes and settings in Sound Explorer. I can live with that.

I can't seem to get a 96 kHz FLAC input to my SC-77 from my Oppo 103D at any higher than 48 kHz. I've posted a related question in the Oppo 103D section. I have FLAC files on a USB stick plugged into the SC-77 that will "input" at the receiver at 96kHz but the same USB stick plugged into the Oppo shows audio input at 48 kHz. Both the iControl app and front display on the receiver report concurring input information. I can get the receiver to up sample but that's not what I want, is it?
I can get DSD files to "input" to the receiver from the Oppo "Digital Direct" showing the 2.8 MHz rate, as it should be.
I disabled as many of the Sound Explorer options as I can and that hasn't made any difference.

I'd prefer to play my growing FLAC library from the 103D. There isn't much point if I can only get the limited sample rates that I am now.

What am I doing wrong. ARRGGG!

Thx
B
post #1091 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billerator View Post
Hi all,

This time I'm stumped.
Previously I was experiencing a/the down sampling issue discussed somewhere around post# 235 of this thread. I think I understand that whole thing now - how the receiver down samples output according Direct/Pure Direct vs. Surround modes and settings in Sound Explorer. I can live with that.

I can't seem to get a 96 kHz FLAC input to my SC-77 from my Oppo 103D at any higher than 48 kHz. I've posted a related question in the Oppo 103D section. I have FLAC files on a USB stick plugged into the SC-77 that will "input" at the receiver at 96kHz but the same USB stick plugged into the Oppo shows audio input at 48 kHz. Both the iControl app and front display on the receiver report concurring input information. I can get the receiver to up sample but that's not what I want, is it?
I can get DSD files to "input" to the receiver from the Oppo "Digital Direct" showing the 2.8 MHz rate, as it should be.
I disabled as many of the Sound Explorer options as I can and that hasn't made any difference.

I'd prefer to play my growing FLAC library from the 103D. There isn't much point if I can only get the limited sample rates that I am now.

What am I doing wrong. ARRGGG!

Thx
B
I wish I could be more specific - but I am operating off of memory - so forgive the lack of specifics here.

If you have the tablet/smartphone control app for the SC, go into the section that manages the sound settings in detail. One at a time, turn each item OFF and then go to the status summary and see what your audio in and out looks like. Repeat as-needed. I bet you will find a setting or two that are causing the switch.

-L

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #1092 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
IF the FLAC files are more than 2-channel try using DIRECT listening mode with X-Curve, Virtual Depth, Virtual Speakers turned OFF, or try using PURE DIRECT listening mode. Disabling Sound Explorer options in other listening modes will not eliminate the down-sampling. If the FLAC files are 2-channel then there is another issue. I'm playing a 2-channel 96kHz file from a USB drive on my Oppo BDP-103 through my SC-77 right now. The SC-77 indicates 96kHz.
post #1093 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 PM

LairdWilliams Thanks
I have the iControl App. Deselecting or disabling any or all of the options in the Sound Explorer section of the app will change the output. Howerver, none of those settings change the input. I've even tried selecting an unused MCACC preset and use 'Pure Direct' mode too.

I suppose I could try a factory reset.

B
post #1094 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LairdWilliams Thanks
I have the iControl App. Deselecting or disabling any or all of the options in the Sound Explorer section of the app will change the output. Howerver, none of those settings change the input. I've even tried selecting an unused MCACC preset and use 'Pure Direct' mode too.

I suppose I could try a factory reset.

B
What connection are you using between your BDP-103D and your SC-77? If HDMI make sure that the BDP-103D is actually outputting 1080 or 720. There is a limitation to HDMI audio on lower resolutions. I know I've seen the list showing what those are, but I can't find that list right now. Otherwise, if you have a cable available, try a co-axial or optical connection and see if you get the same results.
post #1095 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
IF the FLAC files are more than 2-channel try using DIRECT listening mode with X-Curve, Virtual Depth, Virtual Speakers turned OFF, or try using PURE DIRECT listening mode. Disabling Sound Explorer options in other listening modes will not eliminate the down-sampling. If the FLAC files are 2-channel then there is another issue. I'm playing a 2-channel 96kHz file from a USB drive on my Oppo BDP-103 through my SC-77 right now. The SC-77 indicates 96kHz.
^^^Yes, I used to be able to do this! ^^^ 'just can't figure what has changed.

KC-Technerd, Does your Input display 96 kHz?

Thx
B
post #1096 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
^^^Yes, I used to be able to do this! ^^^ 'just can't figure what has changed.

KC-Technerd, Does your Input display 96 kHz?

Thx
B
See below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1435552114614.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	801450  
post #1097 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 10:03 PM

If i remember correctly, the manual says that minimum video setting is 720 for the HDMI to carry the signal. I've have had mine set to 1080. I think this is the Oppo recommendation. I did try Auto, and 720 too. No joy.

The funny thing about all this weirdness is that I can bitstream a DSD file. That leads me to believe that I' should be getting enough 'digits' through the HDMI(2) to at least play a 2 channel FLAC.

B
post #1098 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 PM

Solved!
And its a good thing too. I hate it when stuff doesn't work like its suppose to.
I was down to the last three things on my things-to-try list.
1. Do a reset on the Oppo and/or the SC-77
3. Call tech support
4. Bring both units outside and beat them into a pile of rubble with a big hammer (BFH).

I did a factory reset to the Oppo, "Erase Settings". This fixed my problem. Happy day!

The first suggestion I saw that mentioned that this may be a solution was on the Unofficial OPPO BDP-103 Frequently Asked Questions page under 'Maintenance'.

Lesson learned: Don't underestimate the power of the factory reset.

Thanks all for you help.

B
post #1099 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If i remember correctly, the manual says that minimum video setting is 720 for the HDMI to carry the signal. I've have had mine set to 1080. I think this is the Oppo recommendation. I did try Auto, and 720 too. No joy.

The funny thing about all this weirdness is that I can bitstream a DSD file. That leads me to believe that I' should be getting enough 'digits' through the HDMI(2) to at least play a 2 channel FLAC.

B
On the OPPO, is your Dual HDMI Output set to "Split A/V" or "Dual Display"? Have you looked at the Oppo's status information pages to see what it shows for your HDMI 2 audio output when this occurs (press INFO to bring up the status information, then press the PAGE UP/DOWN buttons to move between pages)?

I see you beat me to this with doing the factory reset. I'm glad that resolved your issue.
post #1100 of 1100 Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone using a THX certified speaker system with any of the SC-7X Elites? I'm considering purchasing a THX Ultra 2 speaker system as my next system upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer