Official Pioneer SC-75/77/79 Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1111 of 1123 Old 12-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat View Post
I would bypss the receiver and see what happens. Run HDMI directly from several different input sources directly into your display device and see what happens. I have NEVER heard of something like this and assuming you have an issue with the receiver. If your picure has no issues when running directly from your DVR to your TV, then you know you have something going on with settings or a problem with the receiver itself.
This is actually extremely common and usually involves a problem with HDMI cabling and signal timing. My SC-77 was very sensitive to this. Things that screw up signal timing in HDMI/HDCP:

1) It can be as simple as your HDMI plugs are not properly seated in the jacks.

2) Too many connectors! The optimal HDMI connection has two and only two connectors - one at the input and one at the output - with one stretch of cable between them. Signal wire fan-out or fan-in, which is done for every connector in the path, alters timing in subtle ways. HDMI/HDCP timing is SO sensitive that these very small variations can mess things up. In practice this means that the following items should be avoided wherever possible (yes, sometimes they cannot): L-Adapters, coupling connectors, F-M extension cables, wall jacks.

3) Long cables. HDMI/HDCP timing is so tight that the longer a cable gets, the more likely that you will have problems.

4) Out-of-spec cables. Cables certified for HDMI 1.2 may or may not work in your rig for HDMI 1.3.

That does not mean that any of these items guarantee problems - but they do make them more likely. Combine them and problems become MUCH more likely.

Anecdote: I have a 30' run from AVR output to TV (wall mounted). When I first put it in, it went output to wall jack (6' cable), wall jack to wall jack (20' cable), wall jack to L adapter (3' cable), and the L-adapter to TV input. Yeah - the wall jacks looked really pretty and professional when they were not being used. This is not all that uncommon a configuration. It worked intermittently and failed intermittently. On a tip here, I tested a new cable (same manufacturer and model other than the length) that was long enough (30') to fish through the wall and come out an opening in each of the wall plates at both ends (rather than using the jacks and then using 2 more cables). The cable was about 10' longer than the "in-wall" cable had been and the overall run length was 1' longer. I still needed the L adapter on the TV end, but I went to 3 connectors/adapters/couplers from - count them - 9. All the blank screen and audio dropout issues disappeared.

We have had people here who had 1.5' HDMI cables that just did not work, so they went to 6' cables for the same connection and everything worked great from then on. The HDCP timing on the chipsets in their equipment was just too sensitive and could not adjust to the short cable length. Yes - you read that right - the cable was too SHORT. High quality, spec-certified, 6' - 12' cables seem to be some kind of optimum. That does not mean that longer or shorter cables won't work. Again, it is all about risk. These other cables will work fine in some rigs (I have a 30' cable and things are fine) and may not in others.

If I wanted to do it over again (which I don't) I would go get a 30' cable with Redmere compensation technology. The Redmere stuff seems to be pretty solid for long cable runs, since it is an active cable that has circuitry/design that compensates for its own length. Basically, every Redmere cable out there, no matter its length, LOOKS like a normal 6'-12' cable as far as the connected equipment can tell. I helped a buddy run a 50' Redmere cable from his PC to his bonus room AVR and it works like a champ. Again though - we also bypassed anything resembling a wall jack ;-)

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1123 Old 12-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I had an HDMI cable tht went from rec. output, 30' to a wall jack, then 1.5' from wall jack to projector. Looked great... but it didnt work. I simply removed the center part of the wall jack and pulled the 30' hdmi cable through the wall jack and into the projector, and it worked fin. Yes, those wall jacks look great, but dont seem to work well
post #1113 of 1123 Old 12-19-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question SC-77/79 Owner's Disc

There was one posting in this thread of the owner's disc for an SC-75, and I have downloaded it. (Thank You JoshG). It isn't for the 77/79 (I own the SC-77, but never received the disc with my unit.) Didn't know there even was a disc until long after my purchase. I have been searching online and at all the Pioneer sites I can find, with no luck.
Would anyone here be willing to help out those of us who got shortchanged and upload a copy of their disc for the SC-77/79?? Dropbox is what JoshG used, and it worked fine. (I understand the same disc is used for both models) Or point out where I can download one, or any other method you prefer that will allow those of us without, to download our own copy.
Thanks
post #1114 of 1123 Old 12-22-2015, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm using the SC-LX78.

Does the LX-Series have all no special settings for Dolby Atmos?
I found so far only settings for the Atmos speakers themselves.
I expected to have settings how deep and with which angels Dolby
Atmos should individual work. Is this unusual to make their
personal settings?

I'm surprised having also no settings for the Dolby Atmos Upmix.
Here I expected to influence, what and how should be upmixed.

Pioneer SC-LX78, Sansui B+C2101, PS3, Lenovo Q180D with XBMC/Kodi Isengard, Gigablue Quad HD, Martin Logan Motion ESL, Wharferdale Dipol + Center, Klipsch RP-140SA, Panasonic PT-AT 6000
post #1115 of 1123 Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1962 View Post
Hello,

I'm using the SC-LX78.
I think you're in the wrong thread. I believe the SC-LX58/78/88 are the equivalent of the Elite SC-85/87/89. The SC-75/77/79 are pre- Dolby Atmos.
post #1116 of 1123 Old 03-17-2016, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi folks,

I'm using the Euro SC-LX87 which is the equivalent of the 79 you guys in the USA have. Basically I'm just trying to get a 4k input source (Nvidia Shield TV) working now I've upgraded to UHD and having fun and games getting it working!

With the Shield connected directly to the TV (Panasonic 65DX902) I get a max output of 1080p/60 with full 7.1 audio. If I connect to the TV I get UHD/60 but with only 2.0 audio.

I've tried an HDMI 2.0 splitter which strips the HDCP 2.2 and this allows me to use the EDID of the TV to send data to the Pioneer.

This results in a working UHD/30 input on the Pioneer but only with stereo audio due to the advertised max of 2.0 from the TV EDID.

I've got a HDfury Integral landing today so that I can try and force the Shield to output 7.1 audio to the amp while sending UHD to the TV. A cheaper option may be to use a HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter but that would mean I'd use 4k/60 ability so the HDfury looks to be the best solution.

Are any of you using a 4k/ UHD input with this amp please?

I noticed that when scaling output to 4k it actually outputs full cinema size 4k and not actually UHD.

Pioneer support have been as much use as a chocolate fireguard and have not even responded to any questions (useful for helping me select which AVR vendor I'll use next!)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by aido; 03-17-2016 at 01:21 AM.
post #1117 of 1123 Old 03-17-2016, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just to confirm the HDfury worked - I'm now getting UHD/30 video out of the Nvidia Shield TV and also getting Dolby Digital Plus out of Netflix into the Pioneer and also DTS HD Master Audio where in the source - job done
post #1118 of 1123 Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 AM

I'm having problems with keeping the network connection. I can connect to the network & internet, but when I power off my SC-75 and power it back on the connection won't work. The only way to get it to work is to pull the power plug for a few minutes then restart the receiver. Does anyone know why this would happen or know how to fix it?

I'm using the wired network port.
post #1119 of 1123 Old 07-08-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm late posting this, but I just now discovered it.

Pioneer released firmware version 1-149-020-516-108 for models
SC-79/77/75/1523/1528/LX57/LX87/LX77 on April 19, 2016.

"Fixes the following issues.
- Can't play bakc certain DSD file.
- When connecting with certain NAS, receiver recognizes the NAS, but can't select folder or music file in it."
post #1120 of 1123 Old 07-30-2016, 05:37 PM

Liked: 11
Cool

Greetings all,
I have an out of warranty SC-75 that's been having major issues. I've already received a credit card rebate for the repair but would rather spend the money on an Onkyo TX-RZ900 something…

Anyway the question I have is if there's some service menu I can look at besides or in addition to the telnet interface to debug this thing? I've updated to the latest firmware and hard reset the settings multiple times.

Gradually over time the audio would cut out and I'd just power cycle. In the past month resetting the receiver has stopped working. HDMI video switching works, the OSD works, what doesn't work is audio. Even the test noise and MCACC stuff fails. Right now the only audio that's working is FM radio in Pure Direct (analog) mode. Which makes me think it's a digital audio issue, maybe software related. Pioneer says I should replace the entire main HDMI board for $731. FWIW I'm using nothing but HDMI and LRC channels in 3.0 mode.

Thoughts and thanks in advance,
Corey
noshank likes this.

Last edited by coreygo; 08-04-2016 at 09:28 AM.
post #1121 of 1123 Old 08-02-2016, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I apologize if this has been asked.

I see that the SC 77 does 4k pass through...what does that mean with new HDR compliant TV's? If I purchased, for example, a new HDR player and an ultra HD blu ray player...can I run it through my receiver to get full results or will I need to bypass the SC77 to get the full potential?

post #1122 of 1123 Old 08-06-2016, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi43 View Post
I apologize if this has been asked.

I see that the SC 77 does 4k pass through...what does that mean with new HDR compliant TV's? If I purchased, for example, a new HDR player and an ultra HD blu ray player...can I run it through my receiver to get full results or will I need to bypass the SC77 to get the full potential?
That's a good question and one I'm not sure is easily answered at this time. My hope would be that the HDR metadata would pass through and not be blocked, but the fact that the HDMI ports on the SC-77 predate HDMI 2.0a may prevent this.
post #1123 of 1123 Old 08-07-2016, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
That's a good question and one I'm not sure is easily answered at this time. My hope would be that the HDR metadata would pass through and not be blocked, but the fact that the HDMI ports on the SC-77 predate HDMI 2.0a may prevent this.
Thanks. The SC-97 was down to 1300 and I was considering pulling the trigger and just selling my 77. It's back up to 1499 this morning. Trying to decide what I want to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer