Official Pioneer SC-75/77/79 Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1141 of 1166 Old 12-20-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Version 1-149-020-516-118 installed. Pandora.... WORKING!!!
rrgone likes this.
KC-Technerd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1142 of 1166 Old 12-20-2016, 07:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
Thanks for noting the update here. I've been checking for the update, and it sure seems like I've looked since December 7, but apparently I didn't.



I also have a Mac, and was getting the same error you were. Try taking the AVR14I_0254.FW & AVR14X_0254.BIN files out of the AVR_1_149020516118 folder and placing them on the root level of your USB stick. I think that will solve your issue. I have my USB stick formatted for FAT32, but I'm not sure that makes a difference. Apparently the SC-7X can't find or extract the correct files if they remain contained within the folder. It would be nice if Pioneer included that information in the Update Instructions.



Firmware Ver 1-149-020-516-108 also was not available via the internet update method, despite Pioneer failing to mention that in the Change History. Attempting to Update via Internet from 1-149-020-516-107 even after 108 was available resulted in "The current version is the latest. There is no need to update."


Thanks for the detailed reply KC! You got me rolling again. That "there is no need to update" message was really starting to piss me off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KC-Technerd likes this.
Itsstan is offline  
post #1143 of 1166 Old 12-21-2016, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmariano View Post
I was wondering if someone could possibly help troubleshoot--

I have an SC-79; had it setup as a 5.1, but recently just purchased two new surround rear speakers. I set my configuration to style "D" as see on page 21. To ensure the speakers were connected properly; I went into the menu's to manually tune the distance of the speakers and the newly installed SRL & SRR speakers both showed on the tone adjustment and produced sound to the appropriate speaker when selected.
Make certain "Speaker System"[/QUOTE] is set to "7.1ch + ZONE 2". (Based on your using speakers in a second room connected to Front Wide/B terminals you need to use configuration "B" instead - [B] 7.2 channel surround system & Speaker B connection on page 20 & 26 as noted below.)



Quote:
Originally Posted by dmariano View Post
However, when I go to listen to music (through an HDMI input w/optical output--XBoxOne for video and Audioengine Bluetooth for music), I am still only getting sound out of my FR/C/FL/SR&SL. I have tried changing the different playback listening modes, but no sound is elicited from these speakers.
Make certain that in the Speaker Setting menu that item "SB" is set to "SMALLx2" (or "LARGEx2"). Even though you have a 7.1 system selected, this setting can still be set to "NO" which disables the SBL and SBR speakers. (See Speaker Setting instructions on page 102.)

If when selecting the ProLogic II listening modes the display only shows "ProLogic II" or "PLII" rather than "PL IIx" (the x missing) this is an indication that the "SB" setting of "NO" is selected as noted in the item above.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmariano View Post
Additionally, I have speakers set in my Zone2 (connected to the Front/WideB terminals) and when playing sounds through the HDMI Source no sound is heard, is there a more in depth guide to actually using the second zone?

Ideally, my situation would be to play the same audio in both zone 1 & 2 (HDMI Port w/ audio selected to Optical)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
As noted on page 39, "The signals of the HDMI input terminal, the digital audio input terminals (OPTICAL and COAXIAL) and the COMPONENT VIDEO input terminal cannot be down-converted and played in ZONE 2." The Zone 2 setup is intended to allow the simultaneous use of different input sources in the main zone and Zone 2, and has the various limitations shown on page 39. If your intent is to play the same input source on the different speakers, I suggest switching to configuration "B" instead - [B] 7.2 channel surround system & Speaker B connection on page 20 & 26. You can then select either SP:A ON, SP:B ON, or SP:A+B ON as noted under "Switching the speaker terminals" on page 81. There are no limits to the input source that can be output over the the Front/Wide B terminals this way, other than that the input source cannot be different than the one being used for the main speaker system when both speaker systems are being played simultaneously.

Since I assume you don't have front height speakers in your main listening area, you'll simply omit those when using the "[B] 7.2 channel surround system & Speaker B connection" configuration. You'll want to make sure that item "FH" under the Speaker Setting menu is selected to "NO." Pioneer doesn't exactly make this clear, but you can omit speakers (except the front left and right) from any of the configurations by selecting them to "NO" in the Speaker Setting menu (page 102).

I hope this helps.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 12-21-2016 at 04:15 AM.
KC-Technerd is offline  
 
post #1144 of 1166 Old 01-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Member
 
drtechno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi

Having trouble getting ARC working on the SC-79 with the samsung KS8000..

I am not getting any audio signal from the TV when it is hooked up to the SC-79.. in fact, it continues to play the sounds from the cable box channel
Yes, I enabled ARC under HDMI setup. Its plugged into the Samsung KS8000 ARC input, HDMI is selected under the TV sound. The cable box plugs in via hdmi to the SAT/CBL on the receiver.
Obviously the TV connects to the HDMI out on the receiver.
drtechno is offline  
post #1145 of 1166 Old 01-31-2017, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
2therock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cartersville GA
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you talking audio signal as in output to the receiver speakers, or to play your TV sound from the TV speakers?
I know you said "it continues to play the sounds from the cable box channel". Playing sounds to where? To the TV speakers or to the receiver's speakers?

Just in case - On my SC75, to get the TV speakers to play the audio from Cable box, Set HDMI Audio from "Amp" to "Through" in the SC-75 audio parameter menu using the remote.

Good luck.

Thanks, 2therock

 

My Setup

2therock is offline  
post #1146 of 1166 Old 02-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Member
 
drtechno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks 2therock

*5.1 speakers in my case refers to the speakers hooked to the Pioneer
I don't want anything coming from my TV speakers in any mode, ever.

The exact issue is this: I switch the TV sound to HDMI (ARC). At this stage, the SC-79 continues to play the SAT/CBL box sound over the 5.1 speakers. So (on the Television) if I switch to youtube or netflix or whatever, I get no sound from the TV speakers and continuous SAT/CBL box sound coming from the 5.1 speakers. The settings on the TV and AVR are as I mentioned above, seemingly correct.

I suppose my confusion is this: For every other audio stream, I have to manually switch the SC-79 to whatever source I want to play over the 5.1 speakers. If I want the Bluray player sound, I switch to BD. If I want the Fios STB sound, I switch to SAT/CBL.

However, with ARC, how do I switch the receiver to play the sound coming through the HDMI 1 out (ARC) ??? I don't see it listed as a SOURCE. Or is the AVR supposed to automatically override SOURCE settings and play the TV sound when it detects a signal over HDMI 1 OUT ? This latter case does not make any sense.

Clearly I am missing something. Since keeping the SC-79 Source in SAT/CBL *should* keep the sound source coming from SAT/CBL regardless of an audio stream coming in on HDMI 1 OUT.

Again, the hookups are:

Fios STB ----> SC79 <-----Bluray

SC79 <----ARC----> Samsung TV
drtechno is offline  
post #1147 of 1166 Old 02-01-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
Having trouble getting ARC working on the SC-79 with the samsung KS8000..

I am not getting any audio signal from the TV when it is hooked up to the SC-79.. in fact, it continues to play the sounds from the cable box channel
Yes, I enabled ARC under HDMI setup. Its plugged into the Samsung KS8000 ARC input, HDMI is selected under the TV sound.
It's difficult to figure out in the manual, and I'm not sure about this, but have you tried using the "TV" input (the "TV" button on the remote, right below the "BD" button)?

If I'm understanding the "Input function default and possible settings" information on page 49 of the manual correctly, the "TV" input function(selection) is automatically assigned to the ARC input when ARC is enabled under HDMI setup.

I have an SC-77 and have the "TV' input function assigned to the "OPT 1" input as my TV doesn't support ARC.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
I suppose my confusion is this: For every other audio stream, I have to manually switch the SC-79 to whatever source I want to play over the 5.1 speakers. If I want the Bluray player sound, I switch to BD. If I want the Fios STB sound, I switch to SAT/CBL.

However, with ARC, how do I switch the receiver to play the sound coming through the HDMI 1 out (ARC) ??? I don't see it listed as a SOURCE. Or is the AVR supposed to automatically override SOURCE settings and play the TV sound when it detects a signal over HDMI 1 OUT ? This latter case does not make any sense.
Yes, it looks like you need to switch the receiver to the "TV" input to listen to the ARC sound coming into the HDMI 1 OUT port.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 02-02-2017 at 12:27 PM.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #1148 of 1166 Old 02-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Member
 
drtechno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
It's difficult to figure out in the manual, and I'm not sure about this, but have you tried using the "TV" input (the "TV" button on the remote, right below the "BD" button.)

If I'm understanding the "Input function default and possible settings" information on page 49 of the manual correctly, the "TV" input function(selection) is automatically assigned to the ARC input when ARC is enabled under HDMI setup.

I have an SC-77 and have the "TV' input function assigned to the "OPT 1" input as my TV doesn't support ARC.




Yes, it looks like you need to switch the receiver to the "TV" input to listen to the ARC sound coming into the HDMI 1 OUT port.
Excellent.. Thanks so much for your help.

It does seem like this might be the case. Let me try it out this evening.
drtechno is offline  
post #1149 of 1166 Old 02-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking Compared: Rotel RSX-1057 and SC-79

I have both. Two theaters each with B&W 600 series 5.1 setup. I've auditioned both. The Rotel is much simpler. Far fewer audio settings and bells and whistles. The Pioneer was difficult to have a good sound come from. It took me quite awhile but I realized that with the fantastic B&Ws, the very best setting was "pure direct." The rest just sounded wrong - very phony when I played very familiar material. The movie settings were easier to adjust to make a good sound but it's still not quite where I wanted. I'll just cut to the chase: I've been playing around for quite awhile and I have not been able to get as good a sound from the SC-79 as from the Rotel. I've heard bad things about Rotel, mainly that they don't fix anything and that there are only 10 authorized repair shops for them, which is true. I had a local guy fix when my power supply went south. No biggie. But, damnit, the sound is purer, more natural ... better. The dynamics are thrilling. For all genres. Classical and jazz sound like there is a concert in my living room. Also, the LFX are so much better with Rotel and I can't figure out why. I have the filters and volumes on the subs set the same and I suppose I have to experiment with that. I mean, who knows? ... I could get an excellent sound out of the sc-79 some day but the Rotel was so easy. It just happened. I'll buy their stuff again.
Almonzo Wilder is offline  
post #1150 of 1166 Old 02-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi scrottle, for sound out of all of your speakers use "Ext. Stereo".

On the remote press Receiver and then press the Adv Surr button multiple times until you see Ext. Stereo on the display.
Thank you! There are too many buttons/settings and too few explanations for what they are. Does ext. stereo have much sound modification? it doesn't sound like it which is great.
Almonzo Wilder is offline  
post #1151 of 1166 Old 02-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Member
 
drtechno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
Excellent.. Thanks so much for your help.

It does seem like this might be the case. Let me try it out this evening.
You guys are right ! Thanks so much for the help.. ARC is working now with the TV set as the source on the receiver.


edit- update- Apparently it will only work temporarily, and you need to fiddle with it each time to get it up again on a Samsung TV with a ConnectBox.. The official word from Pioneer is: "What I mean is that the connect box does not support arc with our receivers and will keep dropping off this is why we recommend using an optical cable from the receiver to the TV"
KC-Technerd likes this.

Last edited by drtechno; 02-13-2017 at 07:07 AM.
drtechno is offline  
post #1152 of 1166 Old 02-22-2017, 05:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I apologize if this question has already been asked so, please forgive me.

I owned an SC-1523-K for awhile until a friend talked me into getting the SC-79. One thing I noticed is that the SC-79 is not as bright as the SC-1523-K and I'm not a fan of that. I've tried to EQ the SC-79 to get the brightness back I had with the SC-1523-K and I am not having any success. My crossover is set to 50.

My question is are there any other settings that I can use to get my top end back or is this just the sound signature of this receiver? The best way to describe it is that it sounds like there is a blanket over top of each speaker.

I feel foolish for getting rid of my SC-1523-K, but it is what it is. I thought I was making an upgrade, but my highs just aren't there. It sounds flat in a sense. With the SC-1523-K, I was able to EQ it and dial it in and everything was fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Up to and including another receiver. I would go back to the 1523, but I am not seeing any offers that are worth me shelling out the money for it when the truth of the matter it's an older unit and I'm not willing to pay 2017 money for a 2013 unit, even if it is brand new in the box.

Are there any settings that I'm missing so I can get my clarity all the way back?
qdeezie is offline  
post #1153 of 1166 Old 02-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
2therock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cartersville GA
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow, my SC75 was too bright and I had to go into the EQ and found MAAC had a slider pushed way up. Did you run MAAC?

Thanks, 2therock

 

My Setup

2therock is offline  
post #1154 of 1166 Old 02-22-2017, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdeezie View Post
One thing I noticed is that the SC-79 is not as bright as the SC-1523-K and I'm not a fan of that. I've tried to EQ the SC-79 to get the brightness back I had with the SC-1523-K and I am not having any success. My crossover is set to 50.

My question is are there any other settings that I can use to get my top end back or is this just the sound signature of this receiver? The best way to describe it is that it sounds like there is a blanket over top of each speaker.
This seems rather unusual to me. First I would suggest trying the Pure Direct listening mode, just as a test. It will bypass everything including MCACC settings, EQ, crossover, etc. If that restores the brightness or clarity that you are looking for, then it will be a matter of finding what settings are reducing the high frequency response. This could be due to various settings including X-Curve, THX Re-EQ, equalization, etc. If Pure Direct doesn't restore the high frequency response/clarity then I would consider the wiring to your speakers, as it can also affect high frequency response.

What source are you using (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc.) and how is it connected (HDMI, Optical, Analog RCA, etc.)? If I remember right the SC-1523-K is the same as an SC-75 minus the elite badging, so I wouldn't expect any significant difference between it and the SC-79 as far as high frequency response. My SC-77 has crystal clear high frequency reproduction.

I would recommend setting your crossover to 80, unless you have some compelling reason to believe that your satellite speakers are significantly better at reproducing the 50-80Hz range than your subwoofer is. This could clean up muddy bass (which could contribute to the perception of lack of clarity), plus allowing the receiver's amplifiers to better handle mid and high frequencies since it won't have to handle those lower frequencies. I don't think it's likely that this is the whole issue, nor that it will make a huge difference, but there is a chance that it may be a contributor.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #1155 of 1166 Old 02-23-2017, 03:09 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2therock View Post
Wow, my SC75 was too bright and I had to go into the EQ and found MAAC had a slider pushed way up. Did you run MAAC?
No, I did not run MCACC. I went into the EQ and adjusted everything manually because in previous experiences with Pioneer receivers, I found the results from MCACC to be rather flat sounding and dull. Fine tuning it myself has always gotten the best results. That was how I did my 1523 as well.
qdeezie is offline  
post #1156 of 1166 Old 02-23-2017, 03:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
This seems rather unusual to me. First I would suggest trying the Pure Direct listening mode, just as a test. It will bypass everything including MCACC settings, EQ, crossover, etc. If that restores the brightness or clarity that you are looking for, then it will be a matter of finding what settings are reducing the high frequency response. This could be due to various settings including X-Curve, THX Re-EQ, equalization, etc. If Pure Direct doesn't restore the high frequency response/clarity then I would consider the wiring to your speakers, as it can also affect high frequency response.

What source are you using (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc.) and how is it connected (HDMI, Optical, Analog RCA, etc.)? If I remember right the SC-1523-K is the same as an SC-75 minus the elite badging, so I wouldn't expect any significant difference between it and the SC-79 as far as high frequency response. My SC-77 has crystal clear high frequency reproduction.

I would recommend setting your crossover to 80, unless you have some compelling reason to believe that your satellite speakers are significantly better at reproducing the 50-80Hz range than your subwoofer is. This could clean up muddy bass (which could contribute to the perception of lack of clarity), plus allowing the receiver's amplifiers to better handle mid and high frequencies since it won't have to handle those lower frequencies. I don't think it's likely that this is the whole issue, nor that it will make a huge difference, but there is a chance that it may be a contributor.
With the exception of my TV (because it doesn't have ARC), everything I use is connected through HDMI. My music source is a media player loaded with FLAC files connected through HDMI. I have a Blu-Ray player that is connected through HDMI as well. I've tried a flash drive loaded with FLAC files in my Blu-Ray player and it still lacks that top end that I previously had.

With regards to wiring, my surround sound wiring is 12 gauge and from the wall outlets to the actual speakers are 10 gauge.

Here is something of note. Before purchasing the SC-79, I took my 1523 to my friend's house to test on their setup, and it was definitely very detailed, bright and sparkling. We were both extremely impressed with the sound and we wondered what the SC-79 would sound like, since it is the flagship. Both of us ended up picking up SC-79s after that.

My friend was unable to dial in the EQ and other settings on their setup and since I was the one that was able to dial in the settings on the 1523 on their setup, I gave it a try on the SC-79 on their setup, and it was the same sort of flatness and lack of brightness I experienced on my setup at home.

Now, to be 100% transparent here, we did order refurbished SC-79s and they function perfectly, but I wonder if they may be tuned differently from regular off the shelf SC-79 receivers.

Both of us had the same results with that lack of top end that we saw with the 1523.

I will give your suggestions a test to see if anything clears up on the top end.
qdeezie is offline  
post #1157 of 1166 Old 03-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Member
 
rrgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Internet Radio Help

I have had my SC-1523 boxed up in the garage since I moved last year. Just got it out and been trying to set it up as a music player and not home theater. I plan to stream from a pc to Squeezebox Touch (also stored away - hope it still works) and try out some internet radio music. So far I have the receiver set up and connected to my network wirelessly with a Almond set to range extender. It seems to work as I can set 'input select' to 'internet radio' and then scroll through the available stations and select one to listen to (Radio Paradise for ex) and it works fine. Also, AV Navigator sees the receiver and the AV5 android apps mostly works.

I am trying to figure out how to search for stations with the receiver or AV5 android app. I am not seeing any search feature other than scrolling through long lists. I saw one You Tube video which shows a browser screen where stations info can be pasted into your favorites, but I cannot locate that screen in my AV Navigator or phone app. Here is the video I mean:

Any ideas on this. Thanks in advance
rrgone is offline  
post #1158 of 1166 Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdeezie View Post
I apologize if this question has already been asked so, please forgive me.

I owned an SC-1523-K for awhile until a friend talked me into getting the SC-79. One thing I noticed is that the SC-79 is not as bright as the SC-1523-K and I'm not a fan of that. I've tried to EQ the SC-79 to get the brightness back I had with the SC-1523-K and I am not having any success. My crossover is set to 50.

My question is are there any other settings that I can use to get my top end back or is this just the sound signature of this receiver? The best way to describe it is that it sounds like there is a blanket over top of each speaker.

I feel foolish for getting rid of my SC-1523-K, but it is what it is. I thought I was making an upgrade, but my highs just aren't there. It sounds flat in a sense. With the SC-1523-K, I was able to EQ it and dial it in and everything was fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Up to and including another receiver. I would go back to the 1523, but I am not seeing any offers that are worth me shelling out the money for it when the truth of the matter it's an older unit and I'm not willing to pay 2017 money for a 2013 unit, even if it is brand new in the box.

Are there any settings that I'm missing so I can get my clarity all the way back?
Just to follow up on this. I solved my problem.

I have a friend that has a Pioneer receiver and uses the Blu-Ray HDMI port for their media player because they say it sounded better than the generic HDMI labeled ports. I thought they were nuts and I tried the Blu-Ray and DVD HDMI ports on my receiver and sure enough, it sounds brighter like what I was expecting. I ended up settling on the DVD HDMI port for my media player. Apparently, the HDMI ports are labeled for a reason. I always thought an HDMI port was an HDMI port, but apparently not.

Hope this helps someone.
qdeezie is offline  
post #1159 of 1166 Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Member
 
rrgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
I have had my SC-1523 boxed up in the garage since I moved last year. Just got it out and been trying to set it up as a music player and not home theater. I plan to stream from a pc to Squeezebox Touch (also stored away - hope it still works) and try out some internet radio music. So far I have the receiver set up and connected to my network wirelessly with a Almond set to range extender. It seems to work as I can set 'input select' to 'internet radio' and then scroll through the available stations and select one to listen to (Radio Paradise for ex) and it works fine. Also, AV Navigator sees the receiver and the AV5 android apps mostly works.

I am trying to figure out how to search for stations with the receiver or AV5 android app. I am not seeing any search feature other than scrolling through long lists. I saw one You Tube video which shows a browser screen where stations info can be pasted into your favorites, but I cannot locate that screen in my AV Navigator or phone app. Here is the video I mean:

Any ideas on this. Thanks in advance
Well guess I'll move along to Pandora setup. I can't figure out the internet radio thing but it appears that Pioneer and VTuner had some kind of falling out. It looks like VTuner is blocking people from registering for that service with Pioneer appliances. Anyone know what the story is on that?

As for setting up Pandora, I see that I need to do a firmware update via USB. I'll attempt that later today.
rrgone is offline  
post #1160 of 1166 Old 03-21-2017, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
I can't figure out the internet radio thing but it appears that Pioneer and VTuner had some kind of falling out. It looks like VTuner is blocking people from registering for that service with Pioneer appliances. Anyone know what the story is on that?
Are you using the http://www.radio-pioneer.com website to register with vTuner? Click the ACCEPT box at the bottom of the first page (below the disclaimer) to proceed through the registration process.

My registration there is working and I'm not having any difficulty logging in and accessing my station lists, but I don't know if there is any problem with it accepting new registrations.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #1161 of 1166 Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Member
 
rrgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
Are you using the http://www.radio-pioneer.com website to register with vTuner? Click the ACCEPT box at the bottom of the first page (below the disclaimer) to proceed through the registration process.

My registration there is working and I'm not having any difficulty logging in and accessing my station lists, but I don't know if there is any problem with it accepting new registrations.

Hi KC-Tech, thanks for your reply. I posted a bit more info about my problem in another thread this morning before I looked at this thread vTuner question - directly input URLs?

So, yes I would like to register with vTuner at pioneer-radio.com, but I am unable to get an access code so that I can submit the registration. Are you able to get to to the point where you can request an access code? Probably shouldn't actually submit the request as Pioneer and vTuner may have had a falling out. I saw something somewhere about that but cannot find that bit of info today.

BTW I did get the firmware update installed and Pandora working last night. Thanks for your guidance in here for how to successfully do that.
rrgone is offline  
post #1162 of 1166 Old 03-22-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
Hi KC-Tech, thanks for your reply. I posted a bit more info about my problem in another thread this morning before I looked at this thread vTuner question - directly input URLs?

So, yes I would like to register with vTuner at pioneer-radio.com, but I am unable to get an access code so that I can submit the registration. Are you able to get to to the point where you can request an access code? Probably shouldn't actually submit the request as Pioneer and vTuner may have had a falling out. I saw something somewhere about that but cannot find that bit of info today.

BTW I did get the firmware update installed and Pandora working last night. Thanks for your guidance in here for how to successfully do that.
I've read both your posts, and I think when using the remote control you may be missing the step of pressing the left arrow on the remote to get into the menu structure before pressing the up/down arrows to navigate to the HELP item.

I am able to navigate to the "Get Access Code" item both via the remote control and via iControlAV5. "Connecting" shows for a long time, followed by "Server Error." This could be because my SC-77 is already registered. However I'm getting the same thing if I try "ShowYourWebID/PW." So it appears something is broken. Everything else still works though. There's a "Registration help" item in the HELP menu that did the same thing the first couple of times I tried to access it, but it finally started working, so maybe it is just the internet being stubborn. The "Registration help" is just an audio program verbally instructing how to get the access code and then sign up.

I have never used the feature of adding a station not in the vTuner list by inputting its URL. It's actually a bit hidden on the Pioneer vTuner page after you log in. I've just used the page to build groups of favorite stations that I can access on the SC-77.

You could also call Pioneer Customer Service at 1-844-679-5350 and ask about it. Maybe they could at least tell you whether you should still be able to register or not.
rrgone likes this.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 03-22-2017 at 03:06 PM.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #1163 of 1166 Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Member
 
rrgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I've read both your posts, and I think when using the remote control you may be missing the step of pressing the left arrow on the remote to get into the menu structure before pressing the up/down arrows to navigate to the HELP item.

I am able to navigate to the "Get Access Code" item both via the remote control and via iControlAV5. "Connecting" shows for a long time, followed by "Server Error." This could be because my SC-77 is already registered. However I'm getting the same thing if I try "ShowYourWebID/PW." So it appears something is broken. Everything else still works though. There's a "Registration help" item in the HELP menu that did the same thing the first couple of times I tried to access it, but it finally started working, so maybe it is just the internet being stubborn. The "Registration help" is just an audio program verbally instructing how to get the access code and then sign up.

I have never used the feature of adding a station not in the vTuner list by inputting its URL. It's actually a bit hidden on the Pioneer vTuner page after you log in. I've just used the page to build groups of favorite stations that I can access on the SC-77.

You could also call Pioneer Customer Service at 1-844-679-5350 and ask about it. Maybe they could at least tell you whether you should still be able to register or not.
Yep, I was considering a call to Pioneer customer service. Probably will do so tomorrow if I haven't been able to get an access code by then. I will post back if/when I get hooked up with vTuner.

Here is the ominous bit I saw a couple of days ago:
http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/node/14767
rrgone is offline  
post #1164 of 1166 Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
Here is the ominous bit I saw a couple of days ago:
http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/node/14767
Interesting. That sounds like it would go beyond simply blocking new registrations. I used my SC-77 to access internet radio via vTuner yesterday and today so I know it is working (plus logging in on the website). Perhaps service has already been restored since the interruption in early January. I don't remember experiencing an outage in January, but I often go several days or weeks without using it.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #1165 of 1166 Old 03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Does anyone understand exactly what the difference between "LOUDNESS MANAGEMENT" described as "Adjusts the level of dynamic range for movie soundtracks optimized for Dolby TrueHD (you may need to use this feature when listening to surround sound at low volumes)," and "DRC" described as "Adjusts the level of dynamic range for movie soundtracks optimized for Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio (you may need to use this feature when listen- ing to surround sound at low volumes)," is? The descriptions make it sound as if Loudness Management is nothing more than DRC that only works when playing a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, and I thought that was what the AUTO setting on DRC did.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #1166 of 1166 Old Today, 07:51 AM
Member
 
rrgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
vTuner and Pioneer

Looks like these two are no longer working together and I am out of luck registering my SC-1523 with vTuner. Apparently people who registered earlier still have access to the vTuner servers. I called Pioneer customer service and spoke with a couple of techs who were unaware of any issues but said that Pioneer had changed to another partner for internet radio management. They mentioned another company but I failed to write it down and now forget who it is. They did give me a phone number for vTuner and I got right through to a person who confirmed they no longer work with Pioneer. I'll be finding another way to manage internet radio - probably with my Squeezebox Touch if I can remember how to set it up.
rrgone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off