Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 105 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes
post #3121 of 3145 Old 03-25-2015, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
I spoke with Bill, he said that they have not given any new unit's to anyone behind me and if someone has gotten one that they must have upgraded and paid prior to me or they got a unit that was allotted for someone else that must have backed out and the dealer didn't cancel the order and put it into their stock...supposedly they are getting a shipment of chips and top covers in next week and they're doing everything they can to get caught up...I just wish they gave out numbers or something like that so we who are waiting could know how much longer it is actually going to be as opposed to the next week business which doesn't seem to be working out if they are getting such a limited number of chip's that they are not able to build enough units...how many unit's could they actually have on preorder..500-1000..I don't have any idea and I have no idea how many more need to go out before I am in line for assembly
Hmm. Well I can tell you I was either number 1 or number 2 to pre-order the 4K upgrade back in May of 2014. I still have not received the 4K upgrade. I know its frustrating waiting, but image those of us who paid in May 2014 have not yet received our units.
Well that's even more disturbing because that would mean that they have been lying about actually completing unit's and sending them out...why would they be telling some of their customers that they have only completed a limited number each week due to chip shortages but you should have been 1 of the first people to receive a unit and you haven't received yours...that tells me that they have not shipped a single unit yet and I'm starting to get a uneasy feeling that something is wrong at Krell.....if they go out of business or something we can all kiss our money goodbye.....I don't think that's what is going on but I have been wrong in the past, this is a prime reason why I never put money up for a product that hasn't been released yet until now, I wouldn't have in this case except my dealer swore he had sold 6 already and they went out..he obviously lied to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3145 Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So my Evolution 600 made it to Krell this AM. We'll see how long it takes to fix it and get it back to me.
post #3123 of 3145 Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 AM

I doubt it will take long. There is no reason for it to be delayed. ..if it is fixed in a couple day's we will know that they are not busy with work and are waiting for part's or some other problems with the new IBIAS amps and the Foundation 4k
post #3124 of 3145 Old 03-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Updating Theo's Theater with SIM2, Vutec, and Krell

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #3125 of 3145 Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I just got the email about that, but I'm confused about why they are putting that info out now when it says that he installed the Foundation 4k last year and so many of us have been waiting since last year for our own unit's.
post #3126 of 3145 Old 03-25-2015, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"Next month, all you can do is wait" is what i'm getting. Since august now.
I feel sorry for Krell as this must hurt them. I have never even heard of a similar case with other brands.
Will we be compensated?
post #3127 of 3145 Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 PM

I will be extremely happy with it just working flawlessly. ...but they could throw us all a bone with some Krell cash or something towards a piece of gear...like a cipher or connect. ...or maybe even the new Krell universal player that combines the cipher with the connect and does b l uray,sacd and the rest with asynchronous DAC inputs .(wishful thinking )
rhale64L7 and vvuuren like this.
post #3128 of 3145 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I've joined the Krell Foundation Owner's Club! I'm so excited. But also daunted by the amount of setup work I need to do. I was lucky to find one because my Cary Audio Cinema 11 (no hdmi) fried its digital input board. I was desperately trying to find something with balanced outs to replace it.

The Foundation is a unit from last year so no 4K capability at all. When I need some 4K-goodness I'll have to send it in. The DSD feature was just in a firmware update?

The manual, as mentioned, is pretty abysmal. Not even a menu tree, AFAICT. The web app was very confusing at first but I think I get it now.

Are there any resources out there for more helpful setup guidelines?

Of course, today the greased path was to get the PS4 connected with associated amps & speakers so that my teenage son can continue his Bloodborne shenanigans

Haven't run ARES or really done anything beyond what was necessary to get the game up & running.
post #3129 of 3145 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Curious as to whether I can connect both outputs to the same TV? I want the game machines to go to the low-input-lag-configured port and the other inputs to go to the THX-configured. I have a Panasonic Plasma.
post #3130 of 3145 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the family. ..yes we aew a family with feuds and all...lol
post #3131 of 3145 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 72
On the dsd question. You have to send it in for that unfortunately. I believe it is free still. Just have to pay for shipping to the Krell factory.
On your other question I dont know of any other resources for info. Best thing is ask questions in here.

And definitely welcome to the family.

Last edited by rhale64L7; Yesterday at 06:39 PM.
post #3132 of 3145 Old Today, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anyway on the KF to turn off the Blue LED light?
post #3133 of 3145 Old Today, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

No.
post #3134 of 3145 Old Today, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Initial impressions:

Everything connected via HDMI except Tivo (what would be the point ). Still no ARES as I haven't gotten the subs to trigger properly yet (cabling problem). So, just watching some TV and some Netflix and Kodi movies to get an impression.

Firmware is 1.25 Oct 16, 2014.

The bad:
OMG, words cannot express how useless the manual is.

Everytime I run update it does something but the version doesn't change.

The Cary Audio has it all over the Foundation in terms of ease of use. I mean, would it have killed Krell to make the labels on the ports match the labels in the software? And what's with not displaying my user-friendly labels except under unknown circumstances? Because of this it takes a crazy amount of time to configure.

Still haven't found how to configure the subs. I don't mean the crossovers. I mean the Stereo+Sub etc settings. I'd like to configure stereo subs (left sub and right sub).

The web software was confusing at first. On the other hand, it's so simple that it didn't take long to figure out.

The good:
I was plugging everything directly into my Panasonic. Now everything is routed through the Krell, including component video from the Tivo. Seems like the video pops a little bit more, like it has enhanced contrast. I know the Krell is just a passthrough but maybe it's reclocking the signal? The enhancement in the component video to HDMI conversion is really nice.

I was afraid that the Sabres DAC on this would be fatiguing for music (movies doesn't matter much). But this blows away the other Sabre-based DAC that I have. That DAC seems to be a bad match for a Krell front end. It's been a while since I used my Schiit but the Krell reminds me of the musicality of the Schiit DAC but with more dynamic range. Really makes me feel like I've wasted my money on the other DACs.

Drums seem quieter but more precise image-wise through the Krell. The soundstage is different, seems a little deeper but my room isn't treated well enough (or my speakers resolving enough?) for it to do soundstage depth well. The 'stage is definitely wider as well.

Imaging is better. Everything is more clearly confined to a more focused space within the stage.

It's nice to be able to use HDMI for everything. Big pile of wires on the floor. I'm not a cable aficionado so it's not an expensive pile

The DTS:Neo processing on this is way better than what the Cary does. Almost makes a stereo/pcm show seem like Dolby 5.1. Dialogue comes through the center better while effects are pushed to the sides and surrounds.

Loving the new toy
post #3135 of 3145 Old Today, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok on the subs. Have you been in the speaker setup menu yet?
post #3136 of 3145 Old Today, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think you have the latest version of software. Also, I remember there may be some issue where currently Foundation gives impression that there is new software to download, but you already have current version.

You hit the nail on the head when you said this processor gives a dynamic sound. Super quiet background (somewhat dependent on speakers and amp) and jump from silence to action was almost startling when I first got mine.

When you get to ARES many on here will have tips from experience to share. I found (thru the advice of others on this board) that ARES works best with the microphone is pointed straight up towards the ceiling. Seems to set the cross-over frequency of your individual speakers better this way. Also, in my system, I prefer to tune the subwoofer using my sub's own equalizatin software (I use Velodyne DD+), then just have ARES adjust EQ above 80hz. Theoretically, if you tune your sub first, ARES should not need to adjust the low frequency as much (again dependent on whether you are using speakers as full range or limited).

Also let us know when you unit was manufactured. If you look at the serial number the first 7 digits will be 288yymm. Example 2881403, should mean manufactured in March of 2014. If your unit is earlier than 1310 (October 2013), there are some know issues we can help you identify. This happened to me, as I originally bought directly from a store that had the unit sitting in storage for a long time. Hopefully, your unit is much newer and will not have any of the old issues. Now that I have a correctly functioning unit, I am very happy with it.

If your unit is greater than 1410 (October 2014), then it may have the DSD upgrade installed already. My unit does, but it had to be upgraded back at the factory. The DSD upgrade works perfectly and sounds great.

Once you get it all tuned up with your subs, you will really love this unit for home theater.

Last edited by jsetliff; Today at 09:21 AM.
post #3137 of 3145 Old Today, 10:20 AM

Does anyone else think it's a mighty big coincidence how the delays with the new Foundation coincide with the delays if the DTS X release. ... just saying
post #3138 of 3145 Old Today, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Ok on the subs. Have you been in the speaker setup menu yet?
I feel like I'm living in that speaker setup menu. Well, not as much as the Source one. All it says is "Sub: Present"

Regarding subs, I have an unusual setup. I have two subs flanking my monitors to provide the bass support they need. Ideally, the F/R would be crossed over at about 100-120Hz but I can localize them that high. Hence the flanking. For these two subs, I'd like stereo bass.

I'd like sub1 to be Left+LFE and sub2 to be Right+LFE. But I don't see how to do that.
post #3139 of 3145 Old Today, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
Also let us know when you unit was manufactured. If you look at the serial number the first 7 digits will be 288yymm. Example 2881403, should mean manufactured in March of 2014.

If your unit is greater than 1410 (October 2014), then it may have the DSD upgrade installed already. My unit does, but it had to be upgraded back at the factory. The DSD upgrade works perfectly and sounds great.
My unit says 288 14 06 so June, 2014. I don't need DSD but would like the option.

One of the reasons I bought the Krell versus other things is I foresee annual updates instead of annual replacements. My experience with Krell support for some other things I was contemplating and/or buying was phenomenal.

But I'm not sending this thing in until all of you get your units upgraded. I'd hope the turnaround time would be minimal then. I have this fantasy of dropping the unit off on the way to visit Granny in VT and then picking it back up on the way home.

Should I set the PS4 to bitstream or PCM? Seems that it drops down to Stereo on PCM mode even though it did start at 7.1 PCM.
post #3140 of 3145 Old Today, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

BTW, the dealer I bought from said the upgrades were taking longer than expected because the initial shipments of upgrade boards from the supplier were all bad. Didn't meet Krell specs or something. All of them.
post #3141 of 3145 Old Today, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
BTW, the dealer I bought from said the upgrades were taking longer than expected because the initial shipments of upgrade boards from the supplier were all bad. Didn't meet Krell specs or something. All of them.
This explaination matches my experience with the upgrade. I was asked by Krell to send my unit in for the 4K upgrade in Nov 2014. Originally they expected 2 week turn around. However, as time went on it got pushed out and pushed out. They would notify me of new expected date, and then it would get delayed again. So I think this explaination makes the most sense. Also I do prefer that they get the parts right before installing, so that we do not experience future failures or problems. A unit that functions correctly and is rock solid goes a long way with me. Will make up for the delays.

I can tell you that I sent an early model Foundation in for repairs in Mid 2014 and the time was very quick. Less than 3 weeks door to door, and this is with 3-4 days shipping each way.

I too want to support Krell with the future proof upgrades process. This is what keeps me with them now. This is something I truly appreciate and intend to support them for it. I love this about the Foundation.

Last edited by jsetliff; Today at 01:08 PM.
post #3142 of 3145 Unread Today, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
Does anyone else think it's a mighty big coincidence how the delays with the new Foundation coincide with the delays if the DTS X release. ... just saying
Yep...

Posts 2949 & 2950
post #3143 of 3145 Unread Today, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow never thought of the boards being bad. This does make sense since Patrick told me from the beginning that they were upgrading our processors as the boards came in. This was going to be a trickle process. They have probably been pushed so far behind. I wonder if the replacement boards also didn't pass? Then maybe a vendor change? Who knows but it has to be hurting them in the wallet.

I don't think it has anything to do with dtsx although it would sure be nice if we got an added bonus for our trouble. Heck Krell probably deserves an added bonus if they stuck it out with the same vendor.
post #3144 of 3145 Unread Today, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with dtsx although it would sure be nice if we got an added bonus for our trouble. Heck Krell probably deserves an added bonus if they stuck it out with the same vendor.
DTS:X would require a major refit, as the additional channels are not in the layout of the Foundation. This will probably be included on the next generation of processors.

Krell got stiffed by their parts supplier, and they feel confident that April will turn things around. Their hands are tied, and I'll bet their parts appropriation folks have learned a lesson about "eggs-in-a-basket" single vendors. No amount of complaining from us can make parts appear at Krell (though we all wish it could). The folks with new 4K/DSD Foundations are very happy with their units, as will the rest of us be soon.

Lee
markrubin likes this.

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
post #3145 of 3145 Unread Today, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
DTS:X would require a major refit, as the additional channels are not in the layout of the Foundation. This will probably be included on the next generation of processors.

Krell got stiffed by their parts supplier, and they feel confident that April will turn things around. Their hands are tied, and I'll bet their parts appropriation folks have learned a lesson about "eggs-in-a-basket" single vendors. No amount of complaining from us can make parts appear at Krell (though we all wish it could). The folks with new 4K/DSD Foundations are very happy with their units, as will the rest of us be soon.

Lee
I was under the impression DTSX could be beneficial to a 7.2 channel setup... it says something like that on their initial press release
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page