Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 111 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #3301 of 3321 Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't think that Krell will issue a kludge add-on module that carries the extra jacks for the additional outputs. Sure, the DSP could be altered to accommodate the additional channels and their respective adjustment parameters, but I just don't see it going that way. The hardware necessities are the problem. My opinion, and you know what that's worth.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3321 Old 04-18-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Yes that was my opinion also. Until I heard otherwise. I am on the fence about it. It will be very easy for me to run the necessary wires and put in speakers in my ceiling. In fact right now it might take me 30 mins total for running the wires and putting the speakers up their. I would probably make the speakers and mount them to the ceiling though. I could use all the same drivers and crossovers components that are in all my other speakers . That would be one imersive sound experience.
post #3303 of 3321 Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
I don't think that Krell will issue a kludge add-on module that carries the extra jacks for the additional outputs.
They could just get rid of the legacy connectors. Or I have a BD player that has stereo output but you can configure those to be back channels. They could do something like that.
post #3304 of 3321 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
I would not expect there to be an update for the Foundation for these codecs.

Lee
Before the end of the year they will doing a upgrade to handle dtsx
post #3305 of 3321 Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Did they mention atmos? Dont care as much about auro.
post #3306 of 3321 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I hope you're all correct.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
post #3307 of 3321 Old Today, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am pretty much stuck at a 5.1 setup given my room conditions so not sure any of these new features help me.

Also, now that I have everything up and running I seem to have another new problem. It looks like I am losing HDMI randomly and the only thing that brings it back is to reboot the processor. So I am thinking it has to be the processor losing sync the new cable box (Comcast Xfinity X1) and creates the loss of picture to the TV. Still not sure why yet, unless its some compatibility problem
post #3308 of 3321 Old Today, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

How about blurays? Do they loose sync also? Most of the time this is the cable boxes problem. It happens in every processor thread I visit.
post #3309 of 3321 Old Today, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 760
the X1 has a long list of issues

I think if you can lock the output of the X1 to one resolution (e.g.1080i) it might help

I don't have an X1 but I ordered one: Comcast guy came out to install it and told me he would be happy to do so, but the X1 was terrible, with lots of issues. I sent him away...

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #3310 of 3321 Old Today, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post
I am pretty much stuck at a 5.1 setup given my room conditions so not sure any of these new features help me.

Also, now that I have everything up and running I seem to have another new problem. It looks like I am losing HDMI randomly and the only thing that brings it back is to reboot the processor. So I am thinking it has to be the processor losing sync the new cable box (Comcast Xfinity X1) and creates the loss of picture to the TV. Still not sure why yet, unless its some compatibility problem
Mine sometimes do it when my cable box are connected to the Foundation but never when it's not.
post #3311 of 3321 Old Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:

I run my X1 box hdmi out direct to display and use optical for audio, try this if you have your gear close to the display and get a long optical cable and all should be fine. cable boxes have all ways been notorious for causing different kinds of havoc and the above connection is always recommended for many reasons
post #3312 of 3321 Old Today, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So what do most of you use, Direct TV? Uverse was terrible, and now I have the 105 internet speed vs the 18 at Uverse. I suppose I could keep the cable modem and try DTV next

I have not tred to leave it on nflix or dvd but its so random that I am not sure Id catch it. But I will keep trying to see what I can do

I have the X1 set at 1080P too
post #3313 of 3321 Old Today, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
So what do most of you use, Direct TV? Uverse was terrible, and now I have the 105 internet speed vs the 18 at Uverse. I suppose I could keep the cable modem and try DTV next

I have not tred to leave it on nflix or dvd but its so random that I am not sure Id catch it. But I will keep trying to see what I can do

I have the X1 set at 1080P too
I use DirecTV (output fixed at 1080i) and have no issues: same with a Comcast Cisco RNG150 and Tivo Roamio

I think setting a Comcast box at 1080P might be problematic: try 1080i.

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #3314 of 3321 Old Today, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Well folks just received a reply from Patrick Bresnahan from Krell. The Foundation 4k will have an option later this year for dtsx and dolby atmos. But only the 4k version will have that option. If you have the regular Foundation they are working on a trade up option. This is all the news he could give at this time. No prices as of yet. I am thrilled with this news.
markrubin likes this.
post #3315 of 3321 Old Today, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Well folks just received a reply from Patrick Bresnahan from Krell. The Foundation 4k will have an option later this year for dtsx and dolby atmos. But only the 4k version will have that option. If you have the regular Foundation they are working on a trade up option. This is all the news he could give at this time. No prices as of yet. I am thrilled with this news.
I thought all Foundations could be upgraded to 4k.
post #3316 of 3321 Old Today, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

No they all can be. But those that didn't opt to get the 4k upgrade cant jump right in to the object based audio upgrade. There must be a bunch more in the 4k board than we thought. That is all I can imagine.
post #3317 of 3321 Old Today, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No they all can be. But those that didn't opt to get the 4k upgrade cant jump right in to the object based audio upgrade. There must be a bunch more in the 4k board than we thought. That is all I can imagine.
I think any Foundation can be upgraded to 4k and ultimately Atmos.
post #3318 of 3321 Old Today, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes they all should be. I wonder what the deal is on the ones that aren't upgraded. Must be more to it.
post #3319 of 3321 Old Today, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes they all should be. I wonder what the deal is on the ones that aren't upgraded. Must be more to it.
I'm wondering too.
post #3320 of 3321 Old Today, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
You know, I would have no problem with them producing an add-on box that has additional audio outputs for additional channels. While they are at it, throw in a digital output in that box as well. Sounds like the name "Foundation" was very well chosen. Giving us options for future proofing and keeping us loyal customers is just fine with me, and appreciated.

Krell Foundation, Parasound Halo A21 and A51, Oppo 103D, Kimber Kable KCAG interconnects; Kimber Kable 12TC speaker cable; Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t x 4, Infinity Intermezzo 3.5C center, Velodyne Digital Drive 18 Plus sub, Panasonic TC-P65VT30 65" monitor.
post #3321 of 3321 Old Today, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey all, well my problem returned with sources blacking out unless I downgrade them from 1080p. It seems as though some sources ( xbox one, arcam blu ray player) are having a hard time syncing with the Krell. My dealer said its a hdmi "handshake" problem because my sony vw600es isnt registering through the krell. So the sources start to black out and try to reconnect ect, I even see a warning on the bottom right of the screan saying " frequency out of range" in red.

My dealer wants to try adding a hdmi sync module: http://atlona.com/product/at-uhd-sync/
Has anyone tried this? He wants to add it between the krell and the projector to help get the signal closer to the sources? I'm not fully sure how it works if it's in the same position as the projector.

I am concerned that I'm adding something else into the system, the reason I chose the krell was to keep things simple. At this point do you guys think I should give up on the foundation and just try another model receiver? Maybe my system just doesn't like it? Do you think I just got a defective unit and just wait for my 4k foundation to come in and hope it doesn't have the same issue?

I'm getting really frustrated, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page