Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 112 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 151Likes
post #3331 of 3352 Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
well, I too am still having HDMI issues, just watching and all of a sudden tv goes black, and switching inputs on the Foundation does not bring it back, the only way is to turn the Foundation off and on to restore the HDMI to the TV.

I tried another HDMI cable and its the same, so it sounds like the Foundation is losing it somewhere and wont reset after an input change either. Its happened 3 x today. I tried going down to 1080i and it did not help on the Xfinity box, o not sure whats up. Will they be changing these HDMI boards for the 4K upgrade? I am thinking so and I just need to get it in for that upgrade soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3352 Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post
well, I too am still having HDMI issues, just watching and all of a sudden tv goes black, and switching inputs on the Foundation does not bring it back, the only way is to turn the Foundation off and on to restore the HDMI to the TV.

I tried another HDMI cable and its the same, so it sounds like the Foundation is losing it somewhere and wont reset after an input change either. Its happened 3 x today. I tried going down to 1080i and it did not help on the Xfinity box, o not sure whats up. Will they be changing these HDMI boards for the 4K upgrade? I am thinking so and I just need to get it in for that upgrade soon.
I'm in line for a 4K upgrade so I'll figure out if it helps. My unit was manufactured in July 2014 so maybe the newer units will be updated. Does anyone else have an Xbox one connected to the foundation? This is the one source that just can't keep connected at 1080p - but 720p doesn't have any issues.
post #3333 of 3352 Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillt View Post
I'm in line for a 4K upgrade so I'll figure out if it helps. My unit was manufactured in July 2014 so maybe the newer units will be updated. Does anyone else have an Xbox one connected to the foundation? This is the one source that just can't keep connected at 1080p - but 720p doesn't have any issues.
I have switched to 720P as well now so I will know soon if it loses signal as with 1080P/I. I am really trying to find out the status of the upgrade as its been a year now.
post #3334 of 3352 Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Well, so much for that lost it at 720P this am again so its not the resolution. no idea now, left a message for Partick. Also just changed the HDMI again from the comcast box just to make sure with a different brand

Last edited by scpanel; Yesterday at 03:29 PM.
post #3335 of 3352 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Well, so much for that lost it at 720P this am again so its not the resolution. no idea now, left a message for Partick. Also just changed the HDMI again from the comcast box just to make sure with a different brand
I don't think it has to do with resolution. My new unit switches between 720p and 1080i all day on DirecTv with no problems. Bluray rock solid at 1080p. My older units (Foundations mfgd in 2013) would lose audio many times per day, and lose video and audio occaisionally. I did not switch software, source components or cables. The newer Foundation unit just works and all these issues are gone for me. I really think it is hardware/parts.

This unit appears to have been mfgd in March 2014....serial number begins with 02881403

Krell Foundation, Parasound Halo A21 and A51, Oppo 103D, Kimber Kable KCAG interconnects; Kimber Kable 12TC speaker cable; Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t x 4, Infinity Intermezzo 3.5C center, Velodyne Digital Drive 18 Plus sub, Panasonic TC-P65VT30 65" monitor.

Last edited by jsetliff; Yesterday at 03:54 PM.
post #3336 of 3352 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
When was your unit manufactured? It should be in the serial number. As someone said earlier, maybe the older runs have these problems?
post #3337 of 3352 Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillt View Post
When was your unit manufactured? It should be in the serial number. As someone said earlier, maybe the older runs have these problems?
Comcast has alot of older model Motorola boxes in circulation. They may well be the source of the problem. I had similar dropouts til I switched to ATT and their modern dvr's.
post #3338 of 3352 Old Today, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

My serial number is 028814010319 and the Comcast box is the newer X1 platform. So I noticed last night that the screen saver was set at 30 min, and am wondering if thats the problem so I changed it to 5 hrs and will try that today to see what happens. The other option I have is to push the Cable through the OPPO and see if that solves it. So there are still options.

But if I cant get this right I may have to cancel Comcast as I am still in the 30 day period, and maybe try Direct TV. I just switched from Uverse which was just horrible.
post #3339 of 3352 Old Today, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

well, that didnt work either, I switched to another HDMI input and if that does not work then I am going to try and reroute it to the OPPO and try that next, but I still cant get the Foundation to respond to any input change unless I power cycle it

Last edited by scpanel; Today at 09:59 AM.
post #3340 of 3352 Old Today, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
well, that didnt work either, I switched to another HDMI input and if that does not work then I am going to try and reroute it to the OPPO and try that next, but I still cant get the Foundation to respond to any input change unless I power cycle it
If you connect your blu-ray to the Foundation using HDMI and you don't have a problem, however, you have a problem with the cable box, then your problem seems to be the cable box and not the Foundation.
post #3341 of 3352 Old Today, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

after switching the input on the Foundation off HDMI 1 and rolled to 5 so far no drops. So I am hoping this solves it for me then I can have them check it out when it goes in for the 4K upgrade all at the same time. I left Patrick a message, still have not heard back from them yet
markrubin likes this.

Last edited by scpanel; Today at 02:29 PM.
post #3342 of 3352 Unread Today, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Great thanks for the info. On the Bluray music too. You r the second person now that has recommended that particular music bluray. I love Pink Floyd so I will be buying it.
I agree with that track. Well worth the investment!
post #3343 of 3352 Unread Today, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

My Foundation has no problems until I connect my Satelite box (Bell in Canada). It still works flawelessly but then sometimes when I've left it on for long time and switch on my display (Runco plasma) it has no picture and I have to power down and on again and it works fine until I leave it on and the satelite box goes to sleep, then when powering up box doesn't automatically get me picture.
post #3344 of 3352 Unread Today, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

So when I complained about my 600 not getting fixed and the delay on the 4K upgrade I got an email from Bill M promising a call the next Monday to discuss. That's 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting!!!!! I think I might start looking elsewhere for new components! Because the Foundation sounded SO good I was thinking of upgrading to their yet not announced higher end processor. After all these delays I'm not so sure I'll buy Krell again even though ALL my equipment is Krell except front end that is dCS and Qsonix. I'm very discouraged!
post #3345 of 3352 Unread Today, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I am too vvuuren. It is a real shame too. It sounds so good but if your without for so long it doesn't give you any confidence in them being around to long.
post #3346 of 3352 Unread Today, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

I'll do one more email Monday but then...
post #3347 of 3352 Unread Today, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I know. It is so hard to do. I did order the xmc1. I want to see what it really is made of. I am not expecting much out of it. But the RMC1 that is coming out at the beginning of next year supposedly I am very interested in.
post #3348 of 3352 Unread Today, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Didn't know about the RMC1. Will keep an eye open! What's the word on the XMC and Dirac?
post #3349 of 3352 Unread Today, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

It has full dirac now. I payed the extra for it also. It is an extra 99.00 to get full dirac.
post #3350 of 3352 Unread Today, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess xmr1 is the new name. Not rmc1. It is mentioned in the Dtsx info from dts. It is in the upcoming products list.

Emotiva also mentioned it in a podcast. 16 channels all truly balanced. Dtsx and Dolby Atmos. Uses two 6 core processors. Dirac and Dirac Unison later on. Dacs are being speculated as being BurrBrowns best x2 for each channel. Msrp 5,000$. It should be amazing I am thinking. Basically a 20,000 dollar and up machine for a bunch less.

I have been following this piece for quite some time. I never was real interested in the XMC 1. But I am tired of waiting on the update to 4k. And I am real happy about the Foundation getting dtsx but am thinking it will cost a bunch of money. And I may never get it even if I pay for it.

Last edited by rhale64L7; Today at 07:33 PM.
post #3351 of 3352 Unread Today, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone here compare the Foundation and XMC?
post #3352 of 3352 Unread Today, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Kal Rubinson and the one other person that said the XMC 1 blows the Foundation away. And that was without dirac. Those are the only two people I know of. Kal's review of the XMC 1 is due out next month I believe.
I believe the Foundation will sound better than the XMC 1 but I don't know if it will sound better than the xmr1 when it comes out. Even if Krell eventually has the Dtsx and Dolby Atmos added they would probably be close.
The XMC 1 has 40,000 microfarrad of filter capacitance for its power supply I believe. It is highly touted. But when I pulled the Foundation apart and took them photos I found 80,000 in their I believe. It had two areas with 40,000 . 4 10,000 caps on the right side and 4 10,000 on the left side. So maybe the Huge toroidal transformer in the Foundation has two separate windings. One for the analog with 40,000 and one for the digital with 40,000. I am no EE though. This was just my guess. All I know is there seemed to be 8 10,000 uf capacitor's in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page