Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 119 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 259Likes
post #3541 of 3564 Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
I have Known about it being replaced since December but I didn't Know when they were targeting its release until My Dealer Told me November is Their Target and he just grabbed 4 707s at what I would assume was a great price because he has them listed like 1/3 off

Good price but no 4K, Atmos or DTS-X!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimSatala77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3564 Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey all, finally got my Foundation 4K but having trouble connecting with my universal remote. Does anyone know how to enable the rc-5 connector in the rear? I know the remote works because it controlled my last reciever and I know the codes are correct because the IR works..

I've gone through all the settings and can't find an option to enable it. My dealer called them and they said theres a "control" sub menu but I can't find it, does anyone else have this sub menu?

Thanks!
post #3543 of 3564 Old 05-21-2015, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Speaking of universal remotes. I had to factory reset my Harmony Touch the other week for a non-Foundation related issue. The upside being the control issues I was having with the Foundation have been fixed .
post #3544 of 3564 Old 05-23-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ok question for eveyone about Zone2 output and volume. So I finally got my Zone 2 working after re-reading everyone's posts and realizing the Zone-2 volume has to be like 100 or greater before it was being picked up by my other system. So Zone2 outputs are variable audio and Z2 volume controls the level of the audio output.

So my question is how can I switch between controlling main volume and zone 2 volume from the Web page screen. I know how to do it from the remote control...just press Z1 or Z2 first then control volume as normal. But from the web page screen how do you choose between zone 1 and zone 2 for volume. There are Zone1 and Zone2 inputs drop downs. But volume seems to stay only connected to which ever (Z1 or Z2) was last pressed on the remote control.

Can you switch between Z1 volume and Z2 volume from the web page control screen? Second question: If I want the Z2 output on Foundation to work like a fixed audio output, should I set volume for Z2 to 150?

Krell Foundation, Parasound Halo A21 and A51, Oppo 103D, Kimber Kable KCAG interconnects; Kimber Kable 12TC speaker cable; Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t x 4, Infinity Intermezzo 3.5C center, Velodyne Digital Drive 18 Plus sub, Panasonic TC-P65VT30 65" monitor.

Last edited by jsetliff; 05-23-2015 at 11:26 AM.
post #3545 of 3564 Old 05-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
Ok question for eveyone about Zone2 output and volume. So I finally got my Zone 2 working after re-reading everyone's posts and realizing the Zone-2 volume has to be like 100 or greater before it was being picked up by my other system. So Zone2 outputs are variable audio and Z2 volume controls the level of the audio output.

So my question is how can I switch between controlling main volume and zone 2 volume from the Web page screen. I know how to do it from the remote control...just press Z1 or Z2 first then control volume as normal. But from the web page screen how do you choose between zone 1 and zone 2 for volume. There are Zone1 and Zone2 inputs drop downs. But volume seems to stay only connected to which ever (Z1 or Z2) was last pressed on the remote control.

Can you switch between Z1 volume and Z2 volume from the web page control screen?
I don't think there is a way because there is no source button on the web page:

if you hit source / Z2/ enter on the front panel, the web page will now display and control Z2 volume: and the Z2 OSD will come up: but make sure you change it back to main zone again

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #3546 of 3564 Old 05-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Krell Foundation Owners Thread

So took my daughter to a movie Friday (Avengers). First time since I got the Foundation. Sound just not good! Then watched X-men last night with her at home on my sound system and wow!!! Sound SO MUCH BETTER! Even my 12 year old at one point said how much better the movie sounded at home.
JimSatala77 likes this.

Last edited by vvuuren; 05-24-2015 at 02:47 PM.
post #3547 of 3564 Old 05-24-2015, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
So took my daughter to a movie Friday (Avengers). First time since I got the Foundation. Sound just not good! Then watched X-men last night with her at home on my sound system and wow!!! Sound SO MUCH BETTER! Even my 12 year old at one point said how much better the movie sounded at home.
Can totally relate! The concession stand is better at home also.
JimSatala77 likes this.

Krell Foundation, Parasound Halo A21 and A51, Oppo 103D, Kimber Kable KCAG interconnects; Kimber Kable 12TC speaker cable; Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t x 4, Infinity Intermezzo 3.5C center, Velodyne Digital Drive 18 Plus sub, Panasonic TC-P65VT30 65" monitor.
post #3548 of 3564 Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Agreed. Another movie this evening and it was amazing. Wish I had my EV600 back....
rhale64L7 and JimSatala77 like this.
post #3549 of 3564 Old 05-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good speaker match for Krell Foundation?

I just wanted to ask the owners of the Krell Foundation, what speakers are you using? What are some speakers that pair well with the Krell Foundation. Thank you for the info.
post #3550 of 3564 Old 05-28-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
I just wanted to ask the owners of the Krell Foundation, what speakers are you using? What are some speakers that pair well with the Krell Foundation. Thank you for the info.
Is it the Foundation one needs to pair or the amp that is being used?

FWIW, I use Vienna Acoustics and they pair well with Krell.
brickyardz likes this.
post #3551 of 3564 Old 05-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Is it the Foundation one needs to pair or the amp that is being used?

FWIW, I use Vienna Acoustics and they pair well with Krell.
Agreed, it's more the amp you should be thinking about. I don't think the Krell colours the sound at all.

As a data point, I'm using Tag McLaren amplification with B&W CM9s/CMC2 series speakers.
brickyardz and JimSatala77 like this.
post #3552 of 3564 Old 05-28-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I am using Diy speakers. Identical 7 all the way around. Very expensive for diy stand mount 2 way. The Krell Chorus pairs very nicely with the Foundation.
post #3553 of 3564 Old 05-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I am using Diy speakers. Identical 7 all the way around. Very expensive for diy stand mount 2 way. The Krell Chorus pairs very nicely with the Foundation.
Thanks for the replies everyone, about to pull the trigger on the Foundation and Chorus 5200
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #3554 of 3564 Old 05-28-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 111
You will love it. And be extremely surprised. Congratulations
post #3555 of 3564 Old 05-28-2015, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Talking

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone, about to pull the trigger on the Foundation and Chorus 5200
That's a great start and I can highly recommend getting a duo 300 to use for 2 channel with that 5200
brickyardz likes this.
post #3556 of 3564 Old 05-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I have both as well! Love them. Just waiting to get my Foundation sent in so it can get fixed and upgraded. I had to bypass the HDMI audio and video for now so cant wait.
post #3557 of 3564 Unread Yesterday, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I also use Krell amplification (older, Evolution series) with Foundation and B&W 802's. Amazing!😃
post #3558 of 3564 Unread Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Foundation 4K,
Parasound Halo A5
Focal Electra Be speakers and 2 Rythmik 15 inch non vented subs in a 5.2 setup

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle

Last edited by markrubin; Yesterday at 10:06 AM.
post #3559 of 3564 Unread Yesterday, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree with the previous that it is the power amp speaker mating that is more important that the Foundation speaker system. At this time I have Magnepan 20.7 s front, Magnepan MG MC1 center (or Martin Logan Stage), Magnepan 3.7 s rear sides, and Revel Ultima Embrace rear for 7.2 channel performance. 20.7 s run full range, all others with 2 SVS subs. Amps 5 Parasound Halo JC-1 monos and 2 Krell S150m for rears. I've experimented and rejected Class D and Class H amps (or they rejected me since some failed when powering Magnepans). My Magnepans seem to require at least Class A for the first few watts before going Class AB for higher power. More important consideration is solid reliability at less than 4 ohms throughout the frequency spectrum. All the Krell amps I heard sounded good, but the Krell s150m ran out of steam powering the 20.7 s full range on "Welcome to the Machine" (PF) when the neighbors were out of town.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #3560 of 3564 Unread Yesterday, 06:29 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefinnell View Post
I agree with the previous that it is the power amp speaker mating that is more important that the Foundation speaker system. At this time I have Magnepan 20.7 s front, Magnepan MG MC1 center (or Martin Logan Stage), Magnepan 3.7 s rear sides, and Revel Ultima Embrace rear for 7.2 channel performance. 20.7 s run full range, all others with 2 SVS subs. Amps 5 Parasound Halo JC-1 monos and 2 Krell S150m for rears. I've experimented and rejected Class D and Class H amps (or they rejected me since some failed when powering Magnepans). My Magnepans seem to require at least Class A for the first few watts before going Class AB for higher power. More important consideration is solid reliability at less than 4 ohms throughout the frequency spectrum. All the Krell amps I heard sounded good, but the Krell s150m ran out of steam powering the 20.7 s full range on "Welcome to the Machine" (PF) when the neighbors were out of town.
The Foundation is as its name spells out the foundation of a great system..if you use even mediocre amps and speakers you will be impressed...you can have the best amps or speakers but if your source is garbage then as I always say Garbage in garbage out..if you match the foundation with any of krells Ibias amps I would think you would be happiest as they are all the latest and greatest krell has to offer..as for speakers I personally think you cant ever go wrong with B&W but by no means are those the only speakers I would limit myself too...you have to ask yourself that all important question that plagues us all....how much am I willing to spend to get that sound i do so crave..
vvuuren likes this.
post #3561 of 3564 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefinnell View Post
I have Krell Evolution 600 monos for front and EV 3250 for centre and sides and they NEVER run out of steam. My ear drums would run out of steam WAY before the amps, driving B&W 802D's and HTM2D. Few times I thought I was going to brake windows!
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #3562 of 3564 Unread Yesterday, 06:44 PM

I should hope not ^^^^^^
thats alot of power

vvuuren likes this.
post #3563 of 3564 Unread Today, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Listened to Genesis 3 sides live last night in Mezzanine mode-- fun! It sounded quite a bit like hearing them in concert at Madison Square Garden.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #3564 of 3564 Unread Today, 07:05 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmin View Post
Listened to Genesis 3 sides live last night in Mezzanine mode-- fun! It sounded quite a bit like hearing them in concert at Madison Square Garden.
yes it does remind me of the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.
Try Orchestra for a real sense of decay ...it really brings out alot of the little details like you hear in a small club IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier