Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 127 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 453Likes

post #3781 of 4062 Old 06-28-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It has to be an analog source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4062 Old 06-28-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post
Looks like I am going to have to sell the Foundation and Chorus 5200. Looking for someone local in the SF Bay Area. Maybe one day things will finally improve.
I am sorry to hear this. I had to sell mine so I know your pain. I also had to sell my Chorus 7200 amp. So I know that pain also. I think about selling my Foundation daily. I am not rich. Only person in the newer neighborhood without a patio or deck. All my extra money has been put into this.
post #3783 of 4062 Old 06-28-2015, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
It has to be an analog source.
thank you
post #3784 of 4062 Old 06-28-2015, 04:06 PM

ok so i was doing a manual test tone of all the speakers and the LS AND RS are close to the same distance from my seating position. however, i was using my sound decibel meter to even out all speakers and i find that my LS has to be at 0db and the RS at 6db in order to even them out? this has never really happened with any other processor i have owned so i was just checking to see if maybe its how the foundation is.
post #3785 of 4062 Old 06-28-2015, 05:19 PM

what is the latest software available on the non 4k foundation? i have version 1.25 oct 16 2014 currently and have attempted to download a new software to see if it helps with the RIGHT SURROUND speaker level. i thought it was a cable or maybe even the chorus, but nope everything works when i try all inputs on the chorus. I have identified that the RS xlr output puts out less sound. Do you guys think it could be a software thing ?
post #3786 of 4062 Old 06-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp_guy532 View Post
what is the latest software available on the non 4k foundation? i have version 1.25 oct 16 2014 currently and have attempted to download a new software to see if it helps with the RIGHT SURROUND speaker level. i thought it was a cable or maybe even the chorus, but nope everything works when i try all inputs on the chorus. I have identified that the RS xlr output puts out less sound. Do you guys think it could be a software thing ?
ok so i restored all settings and all channels are perfect now!!
why would the levels be off and the unit need a factory reset?
post #3787 of 4062 Old 06-28-2015, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
what is the latest software available on the non 4k foundation? i have version 1.25 oct 16 2014
That is the most recent version.
post #3788 of 4062 Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 PM

OK GUYS, WHY when i change the name of the input on the computer, the display on the krell doesn't change the name?
post #3789 of 4062 Old 06-28-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
OK GUYS, WHY when i change the name of the input on the computer, the display on the krell doesn't change the name?
It does change it, but you only see the new name briefly when you change inputs. It then goes back to displaying the default input name. Stupid implementation, but that's the way it is unfortunately.
post #3790 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
You'll see it on the web app/page. You'll also see it if you use the buttons on the Foundation front panel to change sources.

But it doesn't show when you change volume. I think the 4K units fixed that.
post #3791 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 06:06 AM

Good morning,
i was wondering WHY when i do a factory reset, all the manual test tones work good, but then after i fix the decibels to my liking and get out of the test tones and then i decide to go back into the test tones, the right surround channel is about 6 decibels quieter than the left surround? so for example, if used my sound decibel meter and calibrate all 5 speakers to what i consider equal loudness, the right surround is about 6 decibels quieter than the left surround, but both are about the same distance away from me? i end up setting the left surround at 0db and the right surround at 6db on the test tone pattern. THEN, when i get out of the patttern and start watching a movie, the right channel (the one that i set 6dbs louder during test tones) is much louder than the left surround?
It appears to me that the built in manual test tones are not really reliable ?
post #3792 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
ok so i was doing a manual test tone of all the speakers and the LS AND RS are close to the same distance from my seating position. however, i was using my sound decibel meter to even out all speakers and i find that my LS has to be at 0db and the RS at 6db in order to even them out? this has never really happened with any other processor i have owned so i was just checking to see if maybe its how the foundation is.
I have the same issue with my 4K unit. I mentioned it a few posts back and I think most people thought I was nuts. I feel better now not to be the only one. Good to hear the factory reset fixed it for you. But man, I really don't want to have to do that after spending a ton of time getting all my inputs set up just the way I want them. However, I guess I should...
post #3793 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Good morning,
i was wondering WHY when i do a factory reset, all the manual test tones work good, but then after i fix the decibels to my liking and get out of the test tones and then i decide to go back into the test tones, the right surround channel is about 6 decibels quieter than the left surround? so for example, if used my sound decibel meter and calibrate all 5 speakers to what i consider equal loudness, the right surround is about 6 decibels quieter than the left surround, but both are about the same distance away from me? i end up setting the left surround at 0db and the right surround at 6db on the test tone pattern. THEN, when i get out of the patttern and start watching a movie, the right channel (the one that i set 6dbs louder during test tones) is much louder than the left surround?
It appears to me that the built in manual test tones are not really reliable ?
I missed this post before I made my last reply. So the reset didn't really fix the issue. As before, I have the same issue. I let ARES balance the speakers, then I verify with my meter and the right surround is, in my case, about 8-9dB lower. So I up the trim level to balance the test tone for it with the others and as you say, it seems like when I watch a movie or TV show afterward that the right speaker sounds too loud.
post #3794 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Call or email Krell. Sounds like you have uncovered a glitch. Probably fixable with a firmware update.
post #3795 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdfay View Post
So I up the trim level to balance the test tone for it with the others and as you say, it seems like when I watch a movie or TV show afterward that the right speaker sounds too loud.

The right surround speaker? On a non-4K unit?

I think I hear that as well.
post #3796 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 01:25 PM

OK, let me walk through all of those non 4k foundation owners with what i am experiencing:

1. i run the test tones MANUALLY (not with the room correction).
2. i sit on the main listening position and measure with my sound decibel meter and level all speakers.
3. the RIGHT SURROUND speaker needs to be cranked up about 7-8 Decibels in order to make it as loud as the LEFT SURROUND.
4. I proceed to do a FACTORY RESET and i go back to the manual test tones to measure everything again and now the problem above is gone.
5. i save my new level settings and exit the menu.
6. i go back to the menu to ouput test tones again, the problem is back and the right surround needs to be cranked up about 6-8 db more.
7. i make the adjustments by raising it 8dbs and save these settings and exit the menu.
8. i play a movie and discover that although the test needed me to raise the right surround channel 8 dbs to even it out with the left surround, that is not the case with movies because the right surround is ACTUALLY PLAYING LOUDER when i am watching a movie.

So in essence, the manual test tone is crap on the non 4k unit and the best way to calibrate all channels is by either using the room correction (i haven't done it yet) OR just one of those bluerays that output test tones and do it that way because the manual test tone on the NON 4K unit is CRAP!

HOWEVER, if i were a 4k unit owner, i would HIGHLY suggest you do what i did above to make sure this problem does not BLEED over to the 4k units as well. I can easily see some of you not identifying this issue. The only reason why i heard it on my end is because my surrounds are almost equal distance from my head and it was quite easy to hear the discrepancy.

Last edited by Amp_guy532; 06-29-2015 at 01:33 PM.
post #3797 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
OK, let me walk through all of those non 4k foundation owners with what i am experiencing:

1. i run the test tones MANUALLY (not with the room correction).
2. i sit on the main listening position and measure with my sound decibel meter and level all speakers.
3. the RIGHT SURROUND speaker needs to be cranked up about 7-8 Decibels in order to make it as loud as the LEFT SURROUND.
4. I proceed to do a FACTORY RESET and i go back to the manual test tones to measure everything again and now the problem above is gone.
5. i save my new level settings and exit the menu.
6. i go back to the menu to ouput test tones again, the problem is back and the right surround needs to be cranked up about 6-8 db more.
7. i make the adjustments by raising it 8dbs and save these settings and exit the menu.
8. i play a movie and discover that although the test needed me to raise the right surround channel 8 dbs to even it out with the left surround, that is not the case with movies because the right surround is ACTUALLY PLAYING LOUDER when i am watching a movie.

So in essence, the manual test tone is crap on the non 4k unit and the best way to calibrate all channels is by either using the room correction (i haven't done it yet) OR just one of those bluerays that output test tones and do it that way because the manual test tone on the NON 4K unit is CRAP!

HOWEVER, if i were a 4k unit owner, i would HIGHLY suggest you do what i did above to make sure this problem does not BLEED over to the 4k units as well. I can easily see some of you not identifying this issue. The only reason why i heard it on my end is because my surrounds are almost equal distance from my head and it was quite easy to hear the discrepancy.

Mine is a 4K unit that I just got 2 weeks ago, and as I mentioned, I have the same issue. I'll send Bill an e-mail about this as I was just in contact with him last week about a couple other things.
post #3798 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Call or email Krell. Sounds like you have uncovered a glitch. Probably fixable with a firmware update.
I just sent an e-mail off to Bill giving him information on what my 4K is doing, which essentially is the same as amp_guy's with his non 4K unit. I gave him the steps I went through to find (and subsequently duplicate) the issue and copied in the 8 steps that amp_guy listed in his post. I copied in the dealer I bought mine from 2 weeks ago as well as he was the one that got Bill in touch with me right away after I reported my Tivo issue. So hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.
post #3799 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I just sent an e-mail off to Bill giving him information on what my 4K is doing, which essentially is the same as amp_guy's with his non 4K unit. I gave him the steps I went through to find (and subsequently duplicate) the issue and copied in the 8 steps that amp_guy listed in his post. I copied in the dealer I bought mine from 2 weeks ago as well as he was the one that got Bill in touch with me right away after I reported my Tivo issue. So hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.
Please report back here what they told you. I called today and they said to try to use the room correction in order to see if the issue persists. I am going to try today.
post #3800 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 04:31 PM

Ok,
i just ran the room correction and the levels are adjusted perfectly. The issue lies when you need to do it manually.
With that said, can anyone tell me how to make the unit NOT USE the subwoofers when i select PCM/STEREO as the sound mode? i can see the subwoofers still moving...
post #3801 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Update on my issues with Krell. As mentioned 3 weeks ago they told me again for 4th time that my amp was next in line to be fixed but that they would move it up to be fixed next day. When I didn't hear anything I emailed again and was told it was fixed but was undergoing "extensive burn in and would then get sound check" and then sent back. Now three weeks later and still no amp! Last email last week said it was boxed and would be sent next day and they would send me a tracking number. That was last Wednesday so five more business days without my amp been sent. Just hoping they just forgot to email me a tracking number but after all their previous promises I'm not holding my breath..... Anybody else had any news on the 4K upgrade? After my ordeal with my amp I'm VERY reluctant to send my Foundation back to them. To bad they have $1000 of mine....
post #3802 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok,
i just ran the room correction and the levels are adjusted perfectly. The issue lies when you need to do it manually.
With that said, can anyone tell me how to make the unit NOT USE the subwoofers when i select PCM/STEREO as the sound mode? i can see the subwoofers still moving...
If your fronts are set at Full range you won't get any sub.
post #3803 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 05:19 PM

Geeeeeeeez guys... how do you deal with this room correction? i have ran it about 10 times and it sounds TERRIBLE. It doesn't matter if i point the microphone straight up or tilted towards the front speakers, etc. The subwoofers sound way too loud. The high frequencies on my front speakers get away too mellow.
How do you deal with this room correction? i find the sound MUCH BETTER without the room correction and just using it to set your delay and speaker levels. The room correction eq is terrible.
anyone have pointers?
post #3804 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Geeeeeeeez guys... how do you deal with this room correction? i have ran it about 10 times and it sounds TERRIBLE. It doesn't matter if i point the microphone straight up or tilted towards the front speakers, etc. The subwoofers sound way too loud. The high frequencies on my front speakers get away too mellow.
How do you deal with this room correction? i find the sound MUCH BETTER without the room correction and just using it to set your delay and speaker levels. The room correction eq is terrible.
anyone have pointers?
We all run ARES below 125 only. Don't do full range!!!
post #3805 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
anyone have pointers?
Many pointers. Use a mic stand as one. Pointed up another. Keep away from cushions that vibrate. Wrap the cord where it comes out the bottom of the mic so that the mic cord cant slide up and down. I have actually thought about cutting off the tip above the mic element so them slots are totally gone. Make sure it is quite. Sure you know that one. Ares eq does good in my room. But don't use it for two channel listening.
post #3806 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
If your fronts are set at Full range you won't get any sub.
And this is where the 3 diff memory settings come in. I have one of mine set for stereo only listening. Set up memory 2 or 3 to have the fronts set for full range and have the input you use for stereo only set to use that memory setting. If your source unit is used for both stereo and multi-channel, the have two inputs point to that source with one for stereo and the other multi-channel.
post #3807 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
And this is where the 3 diff memory settings come in. I have one of mine set for stereo only listening. Set up memory 2 or 3 to have the fronts set for full range and have the input you use for stereo only set to use that memory setting. If your source unit is used for both stereo and multi-channel, the have two inputs point to that source with one for stereo and the other multi-channel.
can you elaborate on how you decide what a good setting is for stereo/multi channel listening?
i ran the room correction and i am confused because i selected 125hz and i felt the sound was terrible. The subwoofers were playing frequencies that i never heard come out of them before.
I had to just restore the unit because i still don't know how to delete the measurements that the room correction stores.
post #3808 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
can you elaborate on how you decide what a good setting is for stereo/multi channel listening?
i ran the room correction and i am confused because i selected 125hz and i felt the sound was terrible. The subwoofers were playing frequencies that i never heard come out of them before.
I had to just restore the unit because i still don't know how to delete the measurements that the room correction stores.
I don't use the EQ at all because it sounded terrible to me too. I just let ARES do the level balancing and that's it. I have an input I labeled "CD" and I have the trigger for that input turn off my 5ch amp and just leave on the stereo amp for when I do stereo only listening...but I leave the subs on. Again, you could set one of the memories to do full range speakers and tie it to the input used for stereo and the subs would cut out as was mentioned before. (Any input can use any of the 3 memories).

You can turn off the ARES EQ by going to the "Audio Operation" menu and scrolling down to "EQ", hit enter and set it to off (page 13 in the manual).
post #3809 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I don't use the EQ at all because it sounded terrible to me too. I just let ARES do the level balancing and that's it. I have an input I labeled "CD" and I have the trigger for that input turn off my 5ch amp and just leave on the stereo amp for when I do stereo only listening...but I leave the subs on. Again, you could set one of the memories to do full range speakers and tie it to the input used for stereo and the subs would cut out as was mentioned before. (Any input can use any of the 3 memories).

You can turn off the ARES EQ by going to the "Audio Operation" menu and scrolling down to "EQ", hit enter and set it to off (page 13 in the manual).
i have been trying to get used to the lack of a onscreen display since i am coming from a marantz 8802a which still sits in my rack. The set up on this unit is foundation is clunky when compared to the marantz. i love a polished interface but it gets it down.

Can you tell me HOW you get your subwoofers calibrated without the room correction? i have dual subs, but one is a jl audio e112 and the other one is a jl fathom 112 so as you know one has more power than the other and i was wondering how I can get them to play at the same level since the foundation outputs sound to both at once rather than individually.
post #3810 of 4062 Old 06-29-2015, 07:19 PM

do any of you change the milliseconds that the room correction applies? the manual says 1ms=1ft. If that is the distance, then it is way off for the results it is giving me. Is it a bad thing to just change the ms to what the actual distance is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page