Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #361 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry if my comments have come across the wrong way. In future I will try to ignore posts from people with no experience of the Foundation.

My main reason for being so interested in the Foundation is that I happened to be at a dealer on the day a Krell representative was in the store. I was reminiscing with him about when I owned hifi system that was practically all Krell, from the late 80's and early 90's. I was also discussing with him how I've been stuck in the cycle of constantly changing my AVR and now Processor, and how I'd like to buy one that might last me for at least a few years. When I mentioned that I was hoping to loan another Processor which probably wouldn't be until some point well in to the new year, he offered to loan the Foundation to me to try in my system. I couldn't really refuse. With the possibility to upgrade it, rather than have to replace it, I figured that it could be worth paying more for and may even save me some money in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbenzz View Post

If your running 7.1 don't forget to turn the rears on in the audio settings. I just figured that out today after 2 weeks. This allows your rears to fire when playing 5.1 material such as directv.

Yes you can adjust the center width and everything in the menu. I forgot all about that. That is in the same section you can enable or disable eq.
post #363 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you folks know you configure your remote triggers by input? This is nice if say you have an two channel amp and five channel amp. In stereo mode you dont have to trigger on the five channel. Also if you have a screen that works off a trigger on all audio only sources you dont have to trigger that. It is time consuming to set up however.
post #364 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm only running 5.1. Do I use the rears or side channels?
post #365 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Sides.
post #366 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks
post #367 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

So I got the Foundation hooked up but could not get any sound out of it. I now have given up and will try again tomorrow.
post #368 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK is there anyway to toggle between memory 1,2 and 3?
post #369 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK is there anyway to toggle between memory 1,2 and 3?
Yes I would like to know also. Finally got sound but still no video. Any advice?
post #370 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Folks,
The following are personal opinions.
Since I am on vacation, I got to spend a lot of time on the Foundation and I think I have come to a conclusion sooner than expected. I am a tweaker when it comes to audio. I love to tweak listen and go through that cycle until I reach a point that matches my personal taste. I got used to Audyssey Mult EQ XT32 Pro that allows you to tweak to your dreams and this unit does not offer me that yet (hope it does someday). The best the foundation offers me when it comes to tweaking is trim levels, input assignment to memory and what range to tweak for EQ. Unfortunately for me, those are not enough knobs. If I want to do mid-range compensation or HF roll-off, I don't have a choice. Is mid-range compensation or HF roll-off important, probably not. So it boils down to personal taste in tweaking. I can tell you this. When it comes to 2-channel stereo and absolute best in sound quality for mulit-channel audio, the Foundation is unbeatable in this price range. I have tried a dedicated 2-ch stereo setup with a flagship Sony XA5400ES, through a Rogue Audio Athena preamp and a Rogue Audio Medusa amp. That combo is like the ultimate in 2-channel I have experienced and the Foundation is in par. I have not done an A/B side by side so I cringe to comment further. I know good sound and all I can tell is that this Krell Foundation is a spectacular sounding unit. I wish Krell some day will make a deal with Audyssey to get it on board. While the Krell shines in almost every other aspect, room correction is wanting, UI is wanting and so is the user manual. Not for the most, but for me.
Regards,
-Jai
k elone likes this.
post #371 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

It is listed on audiogon. I will ensure the buyer knows what the Foundation offers before accepting an uneducated offer smile.gif
post #372 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I wish I had money now. I would buy that Foundation off of you. Well good luck in your endeavor.
post #373 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont believe so. That would be a nice feature though. Maybe call Krell and suggest it.
post #374 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

Yes I would like to know also. Finally got sound but still no video. Any advice?

Make sure you properly assinged the source inputs.
post #375 of 2238 Old 12-22-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

It is listed on audiogon. I will ensure the buyer knows what the Foundation offers before accepting an uneducated offer smile.gif

I think you should at least wait until CES to see what may be in store for the Foundation. It's only 2 weeks away.
post #376 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go into source setup. Assign your video and audio there. Along with your triggers.

Go through the whole menu system looking for anything that may apply to your setup.
post #377 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Well I wish I had money now. I would buy that Foundation off of you. Well good luck in your endeavor.
Thanks. Take a look and let me know.
post #378 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

So had a 5 minute listen and wow! The Foundation sounds amazing. Unfortunately didn't have more time and thats without any setup and a Foundation thats not run in. Only problem is the video. For some reason I get this pink/purplish coloured video. Went back to setup and got the same. Any ideas?
post #379 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So had a 5 minute listen and wow! The Foundation sounds amazing. Unfortunately didn't have more time and thats without any setup and a Foundation thats not run in. Only problem is the video. For some reason I get this pink/purplish coloured video. Went back to setup and got the same. Any ideas?
Check the video connections. Can you give more details on how exactly you are connecting your video source to the Display through the Foundation. If you are using HDMI, have you tried both the outputs and does it do the same on both outputs? What is the resolution of your display?
post #380 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Check the video connections. Can you give more details on how exactly you are connecting your video source to the Display through the Foundation. If you are using HDMI, have you tried both the outputs and does it do the same on both outputs? What is the resolution of your display?
HDMI from Oppo to Foundation and HDMI to Runco Plasma. Tried both outputs with same result. Set to 720P.
post #381 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDMI from Oppo to Foundation and HDMI to Runco Plasma. Tried both outputs with same result. Set to 720P.
Mine was plug and play and it worked perfectly from Oppo BDP-103 to Foundation to JVC HD-250. So it is something specific with your unit or setup. How about Oppo directly to the Runco?
post #382 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine was plug and play and it worked perfectly from Oppo BDP-103 to Foundation to JVC HD-250. So it is something specific with your unit or setup. How about Oppo directly to the Runco?
Works fine with Oppo direct to Runco. Problem lies with the Foundation.
post #383 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Try a different hdmi. For some reason this fixes a lot of these problems.
post #384 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAudioSlave View Post

I think you should at least wait until CES to see what may be in store for the Foundation. It's only 2 weeks away.

Yeah you might want to wait. Also there is that dsp that works with rew. I considered it. I am a tweaker also. I made my own 7 speaker setup. I will never be done tweaking them. Lol

But the sound of the Foundation is incredible. So with that at the beginning along with some good adjustable eq system you would be able to tweak till your hearts content.
post #385 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 PM

If all else fails unplug the Foundation and plug it back in.
post #386 of 2238 Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Works fine with Oppo direct to Runco. Problem lies with the Foundation.

Also ask in the oppo thread. It might be a setting in there causing the problem. I ran hdmi 1 out to tv then hdmi 2 to Foundation for audio. No problem for me. This is a work around.

I am sure it is a setting in the oppo causing the problem.
post #387 of 2238 Old 12-24-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My speaker configuration is 5.0. My mains go low. I have no convenient physical space for a sub. I am satisfied with the bass I get.

I have been looking for a too long time for a new audio processor. I have followed this thread and quickly looked through the Foundation Owners Reference. One item I do not remember being mentioned is if, or how, this unit handles 5.0. Since this would be a deal killer for me any information is appreciated.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

post #388 of 2238 Old 12-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post

My speaker configuration is 5.0. My mains go low. I have no convenient physical space for a sub. I am satisfied with the bass I get.

I have been looking for a too long time for a new audio processor. I have followed this thread and quickly looked through the Foundation Owners Reference. One item I do not remember being mentioned is if, or how, this unit handles 5.0. Since this would be a deal killer for me any information is appreciated.

I'm sure the Foundation would be just fine. During the ARES set up it won't detect any subs and just bypass it. Just make sure during the set up you run it at full range.
post #389 of 2238 Old 12-24-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure the Foundation would be just fine. During the ARES set up it won't detect any subs and just bypass it. Just make sure during the set up you run it at full range.
If I recall, I think when I chose no sub for one of the memory settings, it defaulted to full-range for FL and FR. In fact, I wanted a memory setting with no sub and Xover for FL and FR to be 40Hz which was not allowed. I have Dish network and sometimes their transmission has annoying LFE during advertisements which I wanted to cut off using a memory assignment to say STB1.
post #390 of 2238 Old 12-24-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Guys I can tell you how I got the most out of the Foundation. But most of you won't like it. It means resetting everything too factory settings. Make sure everything hooked to the Foundation is off. Then you go into source setup before anything else. Then save a memory for movies. This is say blueray. I saved this to memory 1. Then i went in and renamed one two channel music. I saved this to memory 2. Then you could do another for multichannel music and save that to memory 3. Then go do your ares speaker setup. Then edit your settings because your crossovers will probably be wrong. Everything else was real close. It will ask you what memory you want to edit. Edit memory 1. Then run ares room eq. Save it to memory 1. Do this also for say memory 3. Or whatever memory you saved multichannel music in. Only if you want a little different settings for multichannel music as I did. Leave the one you saved for two channeL at the beginning alone. Go back out of the menu by using the left arrow until it doesn't go any further. Hit the menu button. Then turn on your source components and select what source you want and listen When I set up the Foundation in the order in the manual my two channel music never sounded right. It was always a tad bit lean sounding. But when I learned this little trick it always sounded right.
This was very helpful. In fact the following is what I did

Memory 1:
FL and FR @ 40Hz
Center @ 80Hz
SL and SR @80Hz
Sub Present

Memory2
FL and FR @ FULL RANGE
Center @80Hz
SL and SR @80Hz
Sub Yes

Memory3
FL and FR @ FULL RANGE
Center None
SL and SR @80Hz
Sub No

The part I liked most was I was able to assign two memories to a single HDMI input selected by two options. For example, Memory 1 and 2 were assigned to HDMI1 and selected by BD1 and BD2 on the remote. So I use BD1 for HT and BD2 for Music listening. STB1 to Memory3 for Dish to cut off low frequencies going to sub. Sometimes I forget to turn on the Surrounds and center on the Theta Dreadnaught so instead of dialogues disappearing (when what is aired switches to 5.1 Dolby during advertisements) it works as stereo. I will continue to follow and participate this thread as I may come back to the Foundation in the future smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page