Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 456Likes
post #3871 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp_guy532 View Post
i am surprised you preferred the trio over the 3250e....
It's got a more Lifelike sound profile IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
It's got a more Lifelike sound profile IMO
ok, so shouldn't i hear some of the lifelike sound you are referring to by listening to my chorus?
have you heard the 402e? i spoke to krell and they told me the 402e is perhaps the best stereo amp ever built. tHey even told me that it is not to be compared to the duo 300. It is more in line with the solo 375.
post #3873 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I haven't compared the Trio to my 3250 but you can probably pick up a 3250 for much cheaper than the Trio. Fortunately I like my 3250 enough that I don't have to spend money on anything new!!! Ps. Has anyone found a big difference when going from 5.1 to 7.1 for music? Not a lot of music out there thats recorded in 7.1...
post #3874 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 02:25 PM

Ok my fellow foundation owners,

i currently own goldenear triton ones, golden ear xxl center, paradigm adp surrounds and a pair of jl audio fathom f112s. i have atmos speakers installed up in the ceiling which aren't being used because i no longer have the 8802. i think i am going to just leave them there for now until krell decides to release atmos at some point. i figure they don't hurt me by leaving them hanging from the ceiling.
With that said, my current set up, 5.2, will probably be what i will have the rest of the year. Next year, i think krell will have atmos so i will already have the speakers installed in the ceiling. With that said, i have too much money tied up in my equipment and i feel that because my speakers are not really "power hungry" (triton ones have built in powered woofers) then i feel i need to part ways with either the 402e or the chorus 7200.
I currently do about 50/50 music/movies. I am trying to make an educated decision as to which amp to sell. Here is where my head is at:

1. If i sell the 402e: i can use the chorus to drive all speakers and still have 2 extra channels for future atmos.i will however, lose the 2 channel experience that the 402e gives me.
2. if i sell the chorus: i can use a spare b&K 3 channel amp that i have (st125.3) to drive my center and 2 rears. i get to keep my exceptional 2 channel experience, but my home theater experience (especifically the center and rears) will suffer since i will have a "decent" amp powering my center and rears which can't compare with the chorus.

What do you guys think makes or sense? what would you do if you were in my shoes? again, this isn't really a desperate move, but i want to let go of one. Let me hear your input so i can think this throughly!
thank you!
post #3875 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 949
^^^

was interested in your comments between Foundation and 8802?

please take the high road in every post
If you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Beware: Copy Protection Flags are coming big time
post #3876 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
^^^

was interested in your comments between Foundation and 8802?
Go over to the 8802 thread and you can see many comments from him.
markrubin likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #3877 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Go over to the 8802 thread and you can see many comments from him.
That is right Dave... Thank you for agreeing with what i had stated regarding the foundation's superior sound quality.
post #3878 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok my fellow foundation owners,

i currently own goldenear triton ones, golden ear xxl center, paradigm adp surrounds and a pair of jl audio fathom f112s. i have atmos speakers installed up in the ceiling which aren't being used because i no longer have the 8802. i think i am going to just leave them there for now until krell decides to release atmos at some point. i figure they don't hurt me by leaving them hanging from the ceiling.
With that said, my current set up, 5.2, will probably be what i will have the rest of the year. Next year, i think krell will have atmos so i will already have the speakers installed in the ceiling. With that said, i have too much money tied up in my equipment and i feel that because my speakers are not really "power hungry" (triton ones have built in powered woofers) then i feel i need to part ways with either the 402e or the chorus 7200.
I currently do about 50/50 music/movies. I am trying to make an educated decision as to which amp to sell. Here is where my head is at:

1. If i sell the 402e: i can use the chorus to drive all speakers and still have 2 extra channels for future atmos.i will however, lose the 2 channel experience that the 402e gives me.
2. if i sell the chorus: i can use a spare b&K 3 channel amp that i have (st125.3) to drive my center and 2 rears. i get to keep my exceptional 2 channel experience, but my home theater experience (especifically the center and rears) will suffer since i will have a "decent" amp powering my center and rears which can't compare with the chorus.

What do you guys think makes or sense? what would you do if you were in my shoes? again, this isn't really a desperate move, but i want to let go of one. Let me hear your input so i can think this throughly!
thank you!
My 2cents: Music is important to me. I do like my Foundation for movies and are watching more movies but music comes first. I would keep the 402 regardless of what you do for the other 3 channels. Just my opinion and I haven't heard the Chorus but from the way you talk about the difference between the two amps I would NEVER get rid of an amp that "blows you away with 2 channel".
post #3879 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
For movies the most important speaker is the center. You would want your best amp possible for that. Rears are not nearly so critical and backs even less so. From what I hear of Atmos, the ceiling speakers are also lightly used. Mostly for ambience effects.

Anyway can you acquire a mono block for your center that's of acceptable quality?

FWIW, I had a Belles driving my dual centers. When I switched that out for some channels off a Parasound A52 the clarity and loudness of the dialogue was significantly enhanced. In hindsight, I don't think the warmness of the Belles was a good idea for centers. The neutrality of the A52 is a much better match for cinema needs.

Happy 4th for us Americans!
post #3880 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
My 2cents: Music is important to me. I do like my Foundation for movies and are watching more movies but music comes first. I would keep the 402 regardless of what you do for the other 3 channels. Just my opinion and I haven't heard the Chorus but from the way you talk about the difference between the two amps I would NEVER get rid of an amp that "blows you away with 2 channel".
There are differences for sure, but the chorus is no slouch. i am just wondering what would be felt more. To lose the chorus from driving my rears and center or to lose the 402e from driving my fronts. That is kinda of where i am.
post #3881 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
For movies the most important speaker is the center. You would want your best amp possible for that. Rears are not nearly so critical and backs even less so. From what I hear of Atmos, the ceiling speakers are also lightly used. Mostly for ambience effects.

Anyway can you acquire a mono block for your center that's of acceptable quality?

FWIW, I had a Belles driving my dual centers. When I switched that out for some channels off a Parasound A52 the clarity and loudness of the dialogue was significantly enhanced. In hindsight, I don't think the warmness of the Belles was a good idea for centers. The neutrality of the A52 is a much better match for cinema needs.

Happy 4th for us Americans!
Yes i can get a mono block i am sure, but like i said, the center channel is very efficient as is. It needs little power. It is not an easy decision at this point...
post #3882 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
My 600 is still under warranty. It is costing me shipping to the US. Rest covered by Krell. Just got word that my amp is back home!!! I'm out of town but going home tomorrow. Can't wait to get the monster hooked up and listen to some music again! Will probably start from scratch and run ARES again.
Awesome man finally.
vvuuren and JimSatala77 like this.
post #3883 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
ok, so shouldn't i hear some of the lifelike sound you are referring to by listening to my chorus?
have you heard the 402e? i spoke to krell and they told me the 402e is perhaps the best stereo amp ever built. tHey even told me that it is not to be compared to the duo 300. It is more in line with the solo 375.
I was talking in comparison to the 3250 and 2250..I liked the sound quality of the chorus but it just didn't have the headroom i needed...The duo was just a stop gap until i got the solos
post #3884 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I haven't compared the Trio to my 3250 but you can probably pick up a 3250 for much cheaper than the Trio. Fortunately I like my 3250 enough that I don't have to spend money on anything new!!! Ps. Has anyone found a big difference when going from 5.1 to 7.1 for music? Not a lot of music out there thats recorded in 7.1...
I didnt think there is anything other than some concerts done in truehd or dtsmahd...If you have a system set up correctly and the headroom on your amps for it listening to some Pink Floyd or Rush In surround sound is pretty freaking awesome but most music sounds best in stereo . IMO... I have been trying all the different setting with standard 2ch music and they have things that make them different and interesting but not that I wouldn't prefer listening to music the way they laid the track down..stereo,Quadraphonic 5 or 5.1..
vvuuren likes this.
post #3885 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I totally agree with this. While I love a good movie with my system, I'm not exactly doing "cirtical listening". As long as the dialog is crisp and the soundtrack and effects draw me into the movie, I'm good. Music however, which to also go with another post here, is a 2 channel experience for me, and the lights are off, my eyes closed, and my ears wide open. Music is the main reason I've spent the money I have on my system. Keep the 402e.
post #3886 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep the 402e and check out the new Theta Dreadnaught D. it is a really amazing sounding amp. The great thing about it is you can buy it in any number of channels from 2 to 8. And it is field upgradeable. So you can do it yourself.
post #3887 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdfay View Post
I totally agree with this. While I love a good movie with my system, I'm not exactly doing "cirtical listening". As long as the dialog is crisp and the soundtrack and effects draw me into the movie, I'm good. Music however, which to also go with another post here, is a 2 channel experience for me, and the lights are off, my eyes closed, and my ears wide open. Music is the main reason I've spent the money I have on my system. Keep the 402e.
I FEEL THE SAME WAY YOU DO!. It is just tough to sell amplifiers that we truly truly like you know? After i posted above, i took out my 3 channel b&k 125 watts x3 power amp and connected it to my rears and the center and started to watch some movies. i ran the room correction and the processor has the fronts at 0db and the center at 5db in order to compensate for the power discrepancy. I do feel/ hear the change in sound quality from my center, but it is not something terrible. The foundation actually does a lot of the work cleaning up the signal and separating everything in ways that the 8802 marantz couldn't.
Anyhow, i am not going to lie, i paid 150 dollars for this b&k 3 channel amp and it seems to be fine as long as you don't get ridiculously loud of course, but that is hardly the case.
I am certainly leaning towards keeping the 402e right now.
vvuuren likes this.
post #3888 of 4073 Old 07-04-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Keep the 402e and check out the new Theta Dreadnaught D. it is a really amazing sounding amp. The great thing about it is you can buy it in any number of channels from 2 to 8. And it is field upgradeable. So you can do it yourself.
i wouldn't mind trying it. i am not going to lie, maybe it is a testosterone thing, but i love the feel of a well built, heavy power amplifier that gets warm to the touch. The krell 402e is like a HEMI engine with tons of torque and power on demand.
I couldn't get myself to power my big front speakers with class d amplification. I wouldn't mind powering my center and rears though in order to have an amp that sucks less power from the wall since the 402e made my light bill go up by 80 dollars last month lol....
With that said, i am leaning more towards keeping the 402e. I think the soundstage on this amp is HUGE to the point that i would probably be happy just watching movies with my front speakers because it sounds that amazing to my ears. Again, the chorus is class A and it gives me enough sound quality to be satisfied, but it doesn't give me that extra ounce of detail.
A few days ago i was attempting to do a/b comparison between them and the 402e had been unplugged for a few days. i proceeded to listen to music and i was like wow, this chorus sounds damn good. The 402e was good, but i was impressed by what the chorus was doing to my ears. Anyhow, i went upstairs to shower and came back about 45 minutes later and sat down. I thought i was listening to another amp...the 402e was now warm and it literally morphed. It was just stunning to say the least. It made me realize this sucker likes to be really warm before any serious listening takes place.
Anyhow, i think the 402e might be the one to keep. i am going to continue leaving both amps on overnight and just keep playing everything through them. i want to be 100 percent of what i am going to do here next. I don't want to sell the wrong unit and then realize i made a mistake. i am sure some of you can relate with me here

Last edited by Amp_guy532; 07-04-2015 at 09:59 PM.
post #3889 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I am telling you the Dreadnaught D gets pretty warm after being on for a bit. We watched Malifecent last night and the amp was pretty warm by the end of the movie. It is not your typical class D. And it is also heavier than the Chorus 7200. I have the 7 channel version.
post #3890 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have the 403. Incredible for 2-channel music and runs all 3 front/center for movies. Using 2 S-1500/4 amps (150w/ch x4) for each 2 surround and 2 overhead speakers per side. Krell is still closing out the S-1500 amps and you can order any number of channels from 1-7. The 3250 is a great amp as well, but probably harder to find.

It's critical that you have the necessary power circuits to supply these big amps. I installed a separate 100-amp panel for my theater, with 8 individual 20-amp circuits. One circuit is for the 403, one for the two S-1500s, 2 for my JL F113 subs, 3 for each pair of GoldenEar Tritons, and one for the components and display. You can choke these big amps by placing them on a circuit with insufficient capacity.

Lee
JimSatala77 likes this.

GoldenEar Triton One speakers (6, for front, side surround, and rear surround), GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL center channel, GoldenEar HTR7000 overhead speakers (4), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), 2 x Krell S1500/4 (one for each side's 2 surround and 2overhead speakers), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
post #3891 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 08:30 AM

Where are the prices for the s1500? Where can I find these close out deals ?
post #3892 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Where are the prices for the s1500? Where can I find these close out deals ?
Write Krell an email. Patrick Bresnahan should be able to hook you up.

Lee
JimSatala77 likes this.

GoldenEar Triton One speakers (6, for front, side surround, and rear surround), GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL center channel, GoldenEar HTR7000 overhead speakers (4), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), 2 x Krell S1500/4 (one for each side's 2 surround and 2overhead speakers), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
post #3893 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
I have the 403. Incredible for 2-channel music and runs all 3 front/center for movies. Using 2 S-1500/4 amps (150w/ch x4) for each 2 surround and 2 overhead speakers per side. Krell is still closing out the S-1500 amps and you can order any number of channels from 1-7. The 3250 is a great amp as well, but probably harder to find.

It's critical that you have the necessary power circuits to supply these big amps. I installed a separate 100-amp panel for my theater, with 8 individual 20-amp circuits. One circuit is for the 403, one for the two S-1500s, 2 for my JL F113 subs, 3 for each pair of GoldenEar Tritons, and one for the components and display. You can choke these big amps by placing them on a circuit with insufficient capacity.

Lee
Lee,
how do you compare your 403 to other krell amps that you have owned?
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #3894 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Lee,
how do you compare your 403 to other krell amps that you have owned?
The 403 is the best Krell I've owned. The Master References are probably better, and I've heard good things about the FPB series, but no personal experience. The 403 has more authority than the KMA160 monos I used to own, but it's a tough comparison, since I was using the KMAs in an active biamp configuration. I'm very pleased with the 403.

For those interested in ATMOS and Krell, keep your eyes out for CEDIA in October.

Lee
JimSatala77 likes this.

post #3895 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
thanks

I ran the update again and it behaves as you describe

mine is still at V1.33 dated 26 Feb 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdfay View Post
That's the latest version as it's what my Foundation has and I just got it new from the factory a couple weeks ago. I'm told new updates are due in the next couple weeks per an earlier post I made.
That is for the 4K Foundation? My pre 4K is still Oct 14.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #3896 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Since the last update for the iPad I can't connect it to my Foundation or Qsonix! Anyone else have the same problem?
post #3897 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That is for the 4K Foundation? My pre 4K is still Oct 14.
that is for the 4K Foundation
JimSatala77 likes this.

If you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #3898 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Since the last update for the iPad I can't connect it to my Foundation or Qsonix! Anyone else have the same problem?
I updated an iPad to 8.4 and it still connects to the Foundation
JimSatala77 likes this.

post #3899 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I updated an iPad to 8.4 and it still connects to the Foundation
And suddenly it's working again! Don't know why it wasn't working...
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #3900 of 4073 Old 07-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
And suddenly it's working again! Don't know why it wasn't working...
Probably all those solar flares that were causing the northern lights to be seen down here in the states were knocking out the connection.
JimSatala77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page