post #451 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
All you do is figure 1 ms is 1 foot. You can't change ms to feet.

Sure, you can.  You just did it.  ;)

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The signal will not pass through the Foundation with it off I don’t believe.

I called Krell about the FW update, didn't get to talk to a real person. The phone is answered by a machine, and that machine directed the call to another machine.

Regarding HDMI pass through in standby mode, I hope that is not a hardware limitation. The 80.3 could do it. The Foundation might have dropped off my new SSP purchase radar had I known that.

My source player is set to bitstreams and the Foundation is having trouble recognizing the audio stream. But no point getting worked up by that until the software can be brought up to date.

I hope they can add a user selectable volume limiter as a new feature. The 80.3 had that feature. Very handy to have this feature to protect speakers from inadvertent volume ramp to max, which can happen with network latency , and kids sitting on the remote control, etc.

It would be good if mods could sticky a "feature request" list at the start of this topic. I don't know if Krell react to such things, but being a first time Krell owner and from what I've read here I get the feeling of perhaps not.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #453 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 AM

...and can I add a big WTF? remote with no backlight, what were they thinking! If only the 80.3 sounded as good as the Halcro I wouldn't need to be troubled by the learning curve of a new SSP, particularly one with such a lame owners manual. Don't know why esteemed reviewers don't discover or write about seemingly common teething issues of new products.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #454 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post

...and can I add a big WTF? remote with no backlight, what were they thinking! If only the 80.3 sounded as good as the Halcro I wouldn't need to be troubled by the learning curve of a new SSP, particularly one with such a lame owners manual. Don't know why esteemed reviewers don't discover or write about seemingly common teething issues of new products.

Oh they do and I hope Kal hammers them for it. I and many others have.

Also the new president of Krell Bill came in and posted a while back in the latest industry news forum on avs. It is a while back. But he did say they are working on some of the things that we have been complaining about. And on upgrades.

I will be the first to admit the owners reference is a joke. Also would like an official firmware log of updates on there website. Also would like an actual app for controlling the Foundation. Dont think they will put a volume max setting in there however. This is a new thing that most high end companies I am sure won't mess with. Unless you are willing to spend a whole lot more.
post #455 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Sure, you can.  You just did it.  wink.gif

Lol I guess I did. I actually meant on the display of the Foundation. I am sure you knew that though.

Kal I sure wish you could give out preliminary results of your review,but I am sure you can't. But are you done with it yet? And will you be talking to Krell at CES?
post #456 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Lol I guess I did. I actually meant on the display of the Foundation. I am sure you knew that though.

Kal I sure wish you could give out preliminary results of your review,but I am sure you can't. But are you done with it yet? And will you be talking to Krell at CES?
I too can't wait. April is a long ways off.
post #457 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
I too can't wait. April is a long ways off.

The gears turn slowly.  It was only installed about a week ago.   I doubt that I will spend much time with Krell as we have open communications and both of us can make better use of the limited time we have at CES.  

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #458 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM

I tried the software update again overnight. Kaput. webpages.bin 100% showing, if it is supposed to shutdown automatically at that point it's not. Stuck on v1.06. Very disappointing. Dealers should be required to field new product with current production software, not buggy software that is 6+ months old. Wish the Foundation had option to update software via RS232...I have owned Lumagen video processors for years and have done many many software updates over that time via RS232, all without a hitch. It just works. These automatic updates via network are problematic, the 80.3 had similar issue, some software updates were USB only.

post #459 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:

I tried the software update again overnight. Kaput. webpages.bin 100% showing, if it is supposed to shutdown automatically at that point it's not. Stuck on v1.06. Very disappointing. Dealers should be required to field new product with current production software, not buggy software that is 6+ months old. Wish the Foundation had option to update software via RS232...I have owned Lumagen video processors for years and have done many many software updates over that time via RS232, all without a hitch. It just works. These automatic updates via network are problematic, the 80.3 had similar issue, some software updates were USB only.
Even if it comes with updated software you would still need to do future updates. Mine updated without problem via wireless connection. Is it maybe your router?
post #460 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Mine updated without problem via wireless connection. 

As did mine, with wired Ethernet.  

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #461 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Even if it comes with updated software you would still need to do future updates. Mine updated without problem via wireless connection. Is it maybe your router?

Quote:

Quote:

Ps. I prefer mine brand new out of the box and don't want the dealer to play around with it, unless he does a home install. I still like to figure everything out myself. That is part of the fun with new equipment. I know you are frustrated now but when you get it right you'll have lots of fun with your Foundation! I myself has problem with my picture through Foundation being pink. Unfortunately I haven't had time to fix that either because I was away from home over holidays but going back tomorrow! Yeh!!!
post #462 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

The gears turn slowly.  It was only installed about a week ago.   I doubt that I will spend much time with Krell as we have open communications and both of us can make better use of the limited time we have at CES.  

Kal

Ahh love the open communication part. Maybe we can learn a few things. Don't need to talk to them at CES then.
vvuuren likes this.
post #463 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 04:12 PM

How do I download current software and update via USB? I'm kind of getting a little frustrated with this thing, I'm used to things working....my Parasound Halo C2 worked, my Halcro SSP180 worked, my Integra DHC 80.3 worked...It would be good if you could log a support ticket with Krell, like a customized IT solution such as Zendesk that keeps track of all customer support requests, everybody else seems to do it, PS Audio, Audyssey, Kaleidescape, Axis, Fortinet, etc.

Not sure how the router might impact on the success or otherwise of software update via network, you either have a connection to the outside world or you don't. The Foundation is calling home, it's just not doing what it's told. Nothing wrong with my network, about as robust as you can get in a home environment. Pakedge switches and Fortigate router.

post #464 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Another thing I found whacky, with the ARES EQ, if you don't have a LS speaker installed the auto-EQ won't proceed. Initially I tried a 2ch cal, didn't work. Then L/C/R, didn't work. Then L/C/R/RB/LB, didn't work.

post #465 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Another thing I found whacky, with the ARES EQ, if you don't have a LS speaker installed the auto-EQ won't proceed. Initially I tried a 2ch cal, didn't work. Then L/C/R, didn't work. Then L/C/R/RB/LB, didn't work.

For giggles why would you even run eq without one of your surround speakers? And did you ever try that with your Integra?
post #466 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am not surprised. L/C/R/RB/LB is an unusual configuration in that LS/RS has priority over LB/RB in almost all systems that I have seen (except for Meridian).  All advise users to connect the LS/RS amps/speakers before using any Back channels.  Krell probably regards the L/C/R/RB/LB configuration as indicative of faulty LS/RS.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #467 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:

For giggles why would you even run eq without one of your surround speakers? And did you ever try that with your Integra?

I sold the Integra months ago and have been using a 2ch setup since. In the meantime the cabling for the surround speakers turned into a bit of a rats nest. So of course when the Foundation arrived I wanted it to make some noise as soon as possible, simplest thing being just to connect the 2 main speakers. The auto-EQ failed because there was no LS speaker, you can't EQ the Foundation in stereo only (but you could with the Integra).

Next question. How do you connect up Foundation as a DAC only in a stereo setup with an external pre-amp? Can you get a line level output bypassing all volume control? perhaps use a zone fixed level output?

I have been using analog output of my Kalediescape M700 player direct to Halcro dm8 pre-amp. Every DAC I've tried between player and pre-amp hasn't sounded anywhere near as good as player/pre-amp direct. I want to try the Foundation in the mix in a DAC only mode.

post #468 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Ps. I prefer mine brand new out of the box and don't want the dealer to play around with it, unless he does a home install.

Fair enough. My Foundation arrived with factory seals in tact. Opened the remote control packaging, big greasy thumb print in the middle of the remote. It would be easy to blame the dealer for that if they were to open it for software update prior to delivery. But they didn't, said greasy thumb print was loaded when unit packed at factory.

post #469 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Fair enough. My Foundation arrived with factory seals in tact. Opened the remote control packaging, big greasy thumb print in the middle of the remote. It would be easy to blame the dealer for that if they were to open it for software update prior to delivery. But they didn't, said greasy thumb print was loaded when unit packed at factory.
I agree. Wouldn't like a greasy thumb print on my remote! Mine came factory sealed and in perfect condition.
post #470 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Ask krell to send you firmware 1.14, Foundation cannot be updated by internet version 1.08 or before.
post #471 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would also be leary of that being a new unit. The firmware is old and with a thumbprint on the remote to boot. If what they are saying is true about these things. I was told they are selling as fast as they can make them. I had to wait 1 month for mine after ordering.

Kal what firmware did yours have? If you can remember.

This unit was in a box for some time.
post #472 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:

I would also be leary of that being a new unit. The firmware is old and with a thumbprint on the remote to boot. If what they are saying is true about these things. I was told they are selling as fast as they can make them. I had to wait 1 month for mine after ordering.

Kal what firmware did yours have? If you can remember.

This unit was in a box for some time.
We're all in North America but gulliBELL is in Australia. Don't know what happens between USA and Australia. Mine arrived in pristine condition. I've never had any but great service from Krell. I've owned and upgraded Krell for many years now. I've listened to a lot of amps and to my ear Krell is boss with amplification. So far I love the Foundation also but for CD I still use dCS.
post #473 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:

I would also be leary of that being a new unit. The firmware is old and with a thumbprint on the remote to boot....

Mine is 220V version, definitely seals intact ex factory, no question. Don't know if it drop-shipped to order from factory or was ex warehouse distributor stock. With v1.06 loaded it was definitely built 6+ months ago so has probably spent time in a sea container crossing the pond and maybe some warehouse time as well.

post #474 of 1694 Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Ok gotcha. You and Yuppi are the only two I know of that have had a hard time updating the firmware. I have participated in a few website forums also.

Has anybody else had trouble upgrading from that old of firmware to a newer version? I guess Yuppi said 1.08 and older.
post #475 of 1694 Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 AM

Has anybody tried controlling the Foundation via serial port? I've tried. I can get the MUTE function to work, which tells me I have configured the control system and interface correctly. Nothing else works. Also, no mention of VOL+ and VOL- commands in the control protocol. It would be daft if you couldn't ramp up/down the volume!

post #476 of 1694 Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Ok gotcha. You and Yuppi are the only two I know of that have had a hard time updating the firmware. I have participated in a few website forums also.

Has anybody else had trouble upgrading from that old of firmware to a newer version? I guess Yuppi said 1.08 and older.

I have ask krell and receive the 1.14 firmware.

They told me that old firmware cannot update by network.
post #477 of 1694 Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppi View Post

I have ask krell and receive the 1.14 firmware.

They told me that old firmware cannot update by network.

Did they tell you why version 1.08 is the cutoff? That might have been the one that raised the volume of the test tones when doing ares.
post #478 of 1694 Old 01-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Finally got around to running ARES and had some issues getting it to hear the sub, very strange. It was pretty darn loud! but once it did( had to put mic in front of it) it overboosted +9. So I setup a movie (Star Trek 3D) and set sub based on the movie to flat. Sounds great. I was just wondering if others noticed any issues with the sub channel in ARES . I have the current firmware. But this continues to amaze me, and I hear things in tracks I havent heard since my Proceed, and Krell HTS 7.1.

Little things like cymbals, separation and detail. The Emotriva stuff is good, but glad I came back to Krell.

I really want to pair this up with a new 5 or 7 channel amp and cant wait to see what comes out of CES. Plus any Foundation upgrades would be welcome, I will be looking at all of them since I have to send this in to fix the audio caps issue anyway... Have had no issues with any of the HDMI audio.
post #479 of 1694 Old 01-04-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post

Finally got around to running ARES and had some issues getting it to hear the sub, very strange. It was pretty darn loud! but once it did( had to put mic in front of it) it overboosted +9. So I setup a movie (Star Trek 3D) and set sub based on the movie to flat. Sounds great. I was just wondering if others noticed any issues with the sub channel in ARES . I have the current firmware. But this continues to amaze me, and I hear things in tracks I havent heard since my Proceed, and Krell HTS 7.1.

Little things like cymbals, separation and detail. The Emotriva stuff is good, but glad I came back to Krell.

I really want to pair this up with a new 5 or 7 channel amp and cant wait to see what comes out of CES. Plus any Foundation upgrades would be welcome, I will be looking at all of them since I have to send this in to fix the audio caps issue anyway... Have had no issues with any of the HDMI audio.
I'm going to run ARES tomorrow for first time. Will let you know if I have same issue
post #480 of 1694 Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My situation is same as that of gulliBULL. My Foundation was bought in Hong Kong and came along with Firmware 1.05 (=1.06?). I tried the firmware upgrade (via the network) 10 times recently, it showed me "update available, enter to start" every time in the beginning but the process was eventually stuck on showing "webpages.bin 100%" and the machine would never shut down and restart as it should.

I also use a Network Music Player (data streaming) as one of my input sources connected with HDMI. However, my Foundation can never recognize this source while it works well with other HDMI inputs, such as my Bluray player and my TV Receiver. This input can only be activated by flipping through other active source and then come back to it.

I have sent emails to Krell's Technical Support as well as their Product Services twice few weeks ago, but have never got a feedback from them. Though I agree that its sonical performance is good, I really disappointed with Krell's attitude in their customer's services. I will seriously consider whether I shall continue buying their product in the future.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page