Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Is it free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

So if you don't opt for the upgrade you won't be getting dsd? Wow that would be a bummer. I dont remember if this has been said yet but What is the new Foundations with 4k already in them going to run?
Don't know if it will be part of the 4K or an update at that time. I was going to get the 4K upgrade more to future proof my Foundation but DSD will be a bonus. New 4K Foundation will sell for $7500 apparently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 54
You know what Kal. I just realized that I never reran ares after the initial placement. So I guess those wouldnt be a corrected room graph. I took initial readings, changed speaker angles and tilt but never redid ares after. So corrected graphs could have looked much better or worse than these.
post #1443 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Gentlemen:

A couple more operational questions for you:

1. The Users Reference for the Foundation states that the "Preamp" setting by-passes all digital processing, which I assume means no signal will be sent to a subwoofer through the processor?

2. Separately, there is apparently a "Stereo" setting which also sends a full range signal to the L & R main speakers, but allows use of a subwoofer.

Now, the Users Reference states that the Stereo setting by-passes all of the cross-overs that have otherwise been set, but I assume you can still set your own cut off frequency for the subwoofer? Also, in the Stereo setting, does the entire signal get digitized in order to use the sub, or only the low frequencies that are sent to the sub?

One nice thing about the Rotel is that it does not digitize any stereo signal into the RCA inputs unless some form of DSP is specifically turned on. And, if set to stereo, but with a sub, it still sends a full range analog signal to the main speakers, but splits that signal and only digitizes the signal sent tot he sub below the chosen frequency point. It would be nice to know whether that is true of the Foundation in the Stereo setting vs. throwing the entire signal through the DSPs.

Of course it all comes down to how the unit sounds, and I gather the Foundation sounds great, and better than the Rotel regardless, so to a certain extent this is just philosophical I suppose.

Thanks!

Josh
post #1444 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Tech support responded to my email. The v1.21 was intended for one of the dealers to perform a test. They have asked that I go back to v1.20 which apparently fixes an issue with the assign triggers menu, though I do not know what the problem with that menu was. They appear generally surprised that any of us would have found the update so quickly
post #1445 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info vvuuren.
post #1446 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post

Tech support responded to my email. The v1.21 was intended for one of the dealers to perform a test. They have asked that I go back to v1.20 which apparently fixes an issue with the assign triggers menu, though I do not know what the problem with that menu was. They appear generally surprised that any of us would have found the update so quickly

Wow that is something Krell needs to fix. They should not have let that out to the public. They should have sent a file out to that dealer specifically. Sorry about your ordeal jsetliff. Now how do you rollback to a firmware you didn't have in the first place? I think you said you went from 1.19 to 1.21. So where is 1.20?
post #1447 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgogi View Post

Gentlemen:

A couple more operational questions for you:

1. The Users Reference for the Foundation states that the "Preamp" setting by-passes all digital processing, which I assume means no signal will be sent to a subwoofer through the processor?

2. Separately, there is apparently a "Stereo" setting which also sends a full range signal to the L & R main speakers, but allows use of a subwoofer.

Now, the Users Reference states that the Stereo setting by-passes all of the cross-overs that have otherwise been set, but I assume you can still set your own cut off frequency for the subwoofer? Also, in the Stereo setting, does the entire signal get digitized in order to use the sub, or only the low frequencies that are sent to the sub?

One nice thing about the Rotel is that it does not digitize any stereo signal into the RCA inputs unless some form of DSP is specifically turned on. And, if set to stereo, but with a sub, it still sends a full range analog signal to the main speakers, but splits that signal and only digitizes the signal sent tot he sub below the chosen frequency point. It would be nice to know whether that is true of the Foundation in the Stereo setting vs. throwing the entire signal through the DSPs.

Of course it all comes down to how the unit sounds, and I gather the Foundation sounds great, and better than the Rotel regardless, so to a certain extent this is just philosophical I suppose.

Thanks!

Josh

I would think that anytime you select fronts+sub that you would then be digitizing the signal. Kal could maybe elaborate more on this. I thought in any processor this happened.

Like you said though it is all in the sound. And the Foundation sounds fantastic. wink.gif
post #1448 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 08:10 AM

They are emailing me 1.20 and I will load via USB then let you know the results. Will not happen until I home from work tonight
post #1449 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok I hope it works out for you. Did they say anything more about your issue with 7.1?
post #1450 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 10:52 AM

Now I can't get the foundation to read the files on the USB drive. So what are you guys using to convert USB to mini. Also I am putting the files in the root Do they need to go in a specific directory. I guess the problem is my connector that converts USB to mini. Also gonna post the Krell response regarding my zone 2 problem. I really don't understand what they are trying to tell me
post #1451 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 11:08 AM

I simply want to select one of the devices in the zone2 drop down and have its audio (whether coming in from hdmi, coax, optical, or analog s1-4 be output on the zone2 analog RCA outputs

Here is their response

Regarding zone 2. He needs to be aware that there is only one digital processing path. So if he is using an HDMI connection for the main zone he can only list to an analog or digital PCM source in zone 2. He also needs to setup zone 2 in the Assign Inputs menu for each source that he intends to use in zone 2. All of the zone 2 inputs default to same which means same input connection as main zone
post #1452 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I simply want to select one of the devices in the zone2 drop down and have its audio (whether coming in from hdmi, coax, optical, or analog s1-4 be output on the zone2 analog RCA outputs

Here is their response

Regarding zone 2. He needs to be aware that there is only one digital processing path. So if he is using an HDMI connection for the main zone he can only list to an analog or digital PCM source in zone 2. He also needs to setup zone 2 in the Assign Inputs menu for each source that he intends to use in zone 2. All of the zone 2 inputs default to same which means same input connection as main zone

Any updates to your situation?
post #1453 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

I would think that anytime you select fronts+sub that you would then be digitizing the signal. Kal could maybe elaborate more on this. I thought in any processor this happened.

Dunno.  I have a vague recollection that such an unusual option did exist but you would have to consult Krell for the dope.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1454 of 2456 Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Any updates to your situation?

No unfortunately I cannot get the USB update to read my USB drives. It may be a bad adapter. Why can't they just put a normal USB slot on the unit like everyone else. Again no response to my 7.1 issue. And no matter what I try absolutely no output from my zone 2 outputs...and this is after I sent the unit to them for repair. I am getting a little frustrated and looking towards other manufacturers for a replacement. It is a shame as I like the sound from this unit when fed digital via HDMI. However, we don't pay thousands of dollars to be frustrated and to work as software testers. Thinking about what to do about the 4K upgrade I have already paid for. Do I cancel it, or have it done then try to sell the unit. In the mean time I am starting my replacement search. Life is too short and I don't want to spend it being unhappy with my purchase.
post #1455 of 2456 Old 05-16-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No unfortunately I cannot get the USB update to read my USB drives. It may be a bad adapter. Why can't they just put a normal USB slot on the unit like everyone else. Again no response to my 7.1 issue. And no matter what I try absolutely no output from my zone 2 outputs...and this is after I sent the unit to them for repair. I am getting a little frustrated and looking towards other manufacturers for a replacement. It is a shame as I like the sound from this unit when fed digital via HDMI. However, we don't pay thousands of dollars to be frustrated and to work as software testers. Thinking about what to do about the 4K upgrade I have already paid for. Do I cancel it, or have it done then try to sell the unit. In the mean time I am starting my replacement search. Life is too short and I don't want to spend it being unhappy with my purchase.
Well sorry about your troubles. I hope you find what you are looking for out there. Good luck and keep us posted if anything changes.
post #1456 of 2456 Old 05-16-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Its time for a replacement not a repair as you need a brand new unit. When I purchased my Bryston SP3, it was one of the first 150 units, and for some reason, the remote failed to communicate with the SP3. When I mentioned this problem to Bryston, they sent me a new unit, while I was still in possession with my older unit, without any delay. Your unit is too new to put up with these problems.
post #1457 of 2456 Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Its time for a replacement not a repair as you need a brand new unit. When I purchased my Bryston SP3, it was one of the first 150 units, and for some reason, the remote failed to communicate with the SP3. When I mentioned this problem to Bryston, they sent me a new unit, while I was still in possession with my older unit, without any delay. Your unit is too new to put up with these problems.
I agree. I think somebody on this forum got new unit and didn't have any issues after. (Or didn't post about it). I would phoneKrell and speak to them directly. I have not had any issues with mine other than a pink picture in beginning which was fixed with next software update. I only use 5.1 so don't know if my 7.1 would work but nobody else posted about any problems. I have been VERY happy with the aound on my Foundation with audio and movies but can imagine your frustration!
post #1458 of 2456 Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I returned my Foundation to the Dealer after Krell would not return my calls and emails. I hope they are more responsive for you.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #1459 of 2456 Old 05-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

I agree. I think somebody on this forum got new unit and didn't have any issues after. (Or didn't post about it). I would phoneKrell and speak to them directly. I have not had any issues with mine other than a pink picture in beginning which was fixed with next software update. I only use 5.1 so don't know if my 7.1 would work but nobody else posted about any problems. I have been VERY happy with the aound on my Foundation with audio and movies but can imagine your frustration!

That was me, and Krell was great about replacing the unit, and shipping it immediately and I was told that once I received it and made sure it worked, to return the old one which I did. They did not want me to be without a processor. I thought that was great service and I have never had lack of response. My processor today works great and sounds amazing. I sprung for the 4K upgrade, and will see how that plays out and whats included in that upgrade as it gets closer, but these comments do concern me and I wonder if something has changed?.

I just hate to pack it up and not have it for 3 weeks.
post #1460 of 2456 Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post

That was me, and Krell was great about replacing the unit, and shipping it immediately and I was told that once I received it and made sure it worked, to return the old one which I did. They did not want me to be without a processor. I thought that was great service and I have never had lack of response. My processor today works great and sounds amazing. I sprung for the 4K upgrade, and will see how that plays out and whats included in that upgrade as it gets closer, but these comments do concern me and I wonder if something has changed?.

I just hate to pack it up and not have it for 3 weeks.
Me too!
post #1461 of 2456 Old 05-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the same problem as jsetliff had, and received an email from Krell with the version 1.20 files. Initial attempts to download through the mini USB port didn't work, but it was the connection issue causing the problem. Buying a new Mini USB Male to USB Female OTG Adaptor cable and plugging the Sandisk USB memory stick into the Foundation, and within minutes version 1.21 turned into 1.20. I had to reset all my source inputs manually, and everything was off and running. I assigned the trigger levels, and saved everything to memory. And for the first time the assigned trigger levels stayed in memory and did not get corrupted, which is the first time they stayed in memory without any issues. I advise all that updated to 1.21 and have had issues to Contact Krell for the 1.20 files.
post #1462 of 2456 Old 05-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Where did everyone get 1.21? I downloaded update on Wednesday but that was 1.20.
post #1463 of 2456 Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

This is interesting. I wonder if they only put 1.21 up for a few minutes then took it down after that one service center said they got it
In the meantime we had other people that happened to get it at about the same time.
post #1464 of 2456 Old 05-17-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe everyone afflicted with 1.21 syndrom should just check for update. If it says update available you might be good to go. Unless you can't download a previous version over the Internet. I would at least give it a shot.
post #1465 of 2456 Old 05-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe everyone afflicted with 1.21 syndrom should just check for update. If it says update available you might be good to go. Unless you can't download a previous version over the Internet. I would at least give it a shot.

agree, just ran update and downloaded 1.20.
post #1466 of 2456 Old 05-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
1.21 was up for long enough that several people downloaded it. I exchanged an email with Bill McKiegan and he said a fix was coming soon. Whether they'll merely offer 1.20 as another "update" to restore that version, or package the fix with the next update version is unknown. If you merely turn your display off and then back on, it will re-establish the handshake and all is OK.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #1467 of 2456 Old 05-18-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

1.21 was up for long enough that several people downloaded it. I exchanged an email with Bill McKiegan and he said a fix was coming soon. Whether they'll merely offer 1.20 as another "update" to restore that version, or package the fix with the next update version is unknown. If you merely turn your display off and then back on, it will re-establish the handshake and all is OK.

Lee

This is incorrect at least in my case. Turning your monitor off and on does not fix the picture under any circumstances. Neither does switching from one input to another. The only way I can re-establish picture is to turn foundation off and back on. An the monitor must be already on when you turn the foundation on. If the monitor is off when you turn the Foundation on it will not sync and when you turn the monitor on it will not sync. It has be the specific order that I stated...monitor must be on and foundation must be switched off and back on. Or monitor on before Foundation switched on will also work for me.

Also, re-running software download now from network does not put 1.20 back on for me. It remains 1.21. So perhaps there is some code that checks current version and only lets you go forward not backward. Although possibly, all of these issue are just with my unit. Others will have to give their experience to be sure.
post #1468 of 2456 Old 05-18-2014, 02:00 PM

I do have an update for the 7.1 issue. I found one bluray disk where the Foundation does correctly decode the 7.1 sound track. That is the Promethius bluray. My Thor and Star Trek blurays still give no sound output with bitstream. Same with Star Wars 6.1. Again it is possible that these issues are only related to my unit as it appears to have other problems that I have not heard others report. Also don't think that I just like to post negative comments on here. Believe me, I would love to report some positive news regarding my unit for a change. Hopefully if I can get them to send me a replacement unit, then I will. I really do want to love this unit. And I have never been disappointed with the sound. Also I realize that the HDMI sync issue is partially my fault for taking the update as soon as someone posted that it was out there. I was just hoping that it was fixing my 7.1 issue as tech support never comments on that issue in their replies to me.
post #1469 of 2456 Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfinnell View Post

I had the same problem as jsetliff had, and received an email from Krell with the version 1.20 files. Initial attempts to download through the mini USB port didn't work, but it was the connection issue causing the problem. Buying a new Mini USB Male to USB Female OTG Adaptor cable and plugging the Sandisk USB memory stick into the Foundation, and within minutes version 1.21 turned into 1.20. I had to reset all my source inputs manually, and everything was off and running. I assigned the trigger levels, and saved everything to memory. And for the first time the assigned trigger levels stayed in memory and did not get corrupted, which is the first time they stayed in memory without any issues. I advise all that updated to 1.21 and have had issues to Contact Krell for the 1.20 files.

Yes, any others that need to go back to 1.20, Krell did reply and send me the 1.20 files very quickly.
post #1470 of 2456 Old 05-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Agreed, software update will not return you to 1.20. I/m sorry that your handshake issues (due no doubt to different display) aren't resolved by power cycling your display. For those affected by the 1.21 issue, it's sure worth a try as it works perfectly for me.

For all these minor software issues, Krell must first duplicate the problem in their lab, so that they can trace the cause. Like all of us, it's frustrating to have problems with some operational details. I believe that Krell is acting honorably and working to resolve issues as they are discovered. Some fixes just simply cannot be generated overnight. While we must perform various work-arounds to skirt some problems, in the end I believe these issues (and those yet undiscovered) will be sorted out. HDMI is a temperamental implementation and there are so many pieces of gear that must interact seamlessly.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page