Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1711 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yes and my dealer told me that also. So I just called Krell. They wanted the old top plate back. They gave me a discount on the new rack mount one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
Sending the unit back to Krell for the DSD update may allow them to inspect the unit for other issues that have been identified in certain lot numbers/manufacturing runs...
The problem here is for International customers, which is why we are hoping for an in-field DSD software update rather than a return to factory. The shipper that Krell uses charges outrageous International shipping rates, like 3 to 4 times the best market rate making the DSD upgrade uneconomic. I have asked the question twice about in-field upgrade, still waiting on a definitive answer.

If an EPROM needs to be re-flashed for DSD support (or whatever) I hope there is tooling made available to local distributors so units don't need to be returned to Krell. PS Audio do this for their Dectet power board, provide the connecting hardware to the distributor to re-flash on-board memory using a PC.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #1713 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post
Not sure where you guys are getting this information from, but I've been to the Krell factory twice in the past month to drop off and pick up my refurbished amp. I stayed for a tour and listened to the cipher, and the " cheaper " models. The foundation processors are selling like hot cakes. There are stacks and stacks of them sold and ready for shipment. Looks like things are running smooth to me...
I also had an opportunity to meet with one of the VP's, and asked him specifically about Atmos. From what I heard, they are not excited about it. Although they are commercially involved in providing amplifiers for a new Atmos theater overseas.
A great crew at Krell, The place was pristine and they were busy as F&^%.

KRELL METAL....AMPS WITH NEAR LIMITLESS POWER
( straight from the heart of Altair IV )
What amps are they using in this new Atmos theater? And did you get to see a new Ibias amp? I am interested in one very much so. The full specs are up on krells website now. The 7200 actually weighs 100lbs and could heat my home theater. It isn't much different from there older amps in that regard.
post #1714 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
What amps are they using in this new Atmos theater? And did you get to see a new Ibias amp? I am interested in one very much so. The full specs are up on krells website now. The 7200 actually weighs 100lbs and could heat my home theater. It isn't much different from there older amps in that regard.
Honestly not sure about the exact amps they are using, he just mentioned monoblocks. Didn't get a chance to see the new Ibais amp. I'm just lucky enough to afford the old Krell gear.....their new stuff is out of my league. ....but my speakers aren't

B
post #1715 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post
The problem here is for International customers, which is why we are hoping for an in-field DSD software update rather than a return to factory. The shipper that Krell uses charges outrageous International shipping rates, like 3 to 4 times the best market rate making the DSD upgrade uneconomic. I have asked the question twice about in-field upgrade, still waiting on a definitive answer.

If an EPROM needs to be re-flashed for DSD support (or whatever) I hope there is tooling made available to local distributors so units don't need to be returned to Krell. PS Audio do this for their Dectet power board, provide the connecting hardware to the distributor to re-flash on-board memory using a PC.
I agree. Even from Canada shipping is very expensive. My Evolution 600e monoblock has to go back for repair and where I live it's difficult just to get someone to ship such a heavy product. And I was told they're not ready for the 4K upgrade so I can't ship both unit at same time.
post #1716 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I feel for you guys, and I'm right there with you. We all wish that the "issues" surrounding the Foundation (software update email/Facebook notifications, odd HDMI glitches, DSD/4K upgrades, etc.) were non-existent. I don't work for them. I simply feel that the value and performance of the unit so far has been worth the inconveniences. I don't believe you'll find a processor with sound like this one in this price range.

Lee
post #1717 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A little off topic from the most recent posts, but just thought I'd share something with you all.

On Friday, my local authorized dealer/integrator was back to install a Savant home automation system, which is pretty amazing so far, but not entirely complete - it's a pretty complex process on their end, so there are a few bugs to work out as well as additional functions to still add. We're getting it not only to control the entire HT system, which I use for LPs, Apple TV, Cable TV, all digital discs plus USB stick files on an Oppo 105D, and with various separate connections between the Oppo and the Foundation, but also to control lighting, alarm system and thermostat. And we live in a 1420 square foot condominium! I use a wheelchair though, so it'll make things easier for me . . . and for my wife more importantly! She jokes about the six remotes we have . . . not including her!

Anyway, I had the Oppo connected by RCA analog cables and by HDMI. I was using the RCA analog cables over the HDMI for 2 channel though because, at least to me in my system and room, I liked the results more than using the Foundation's internal DAC with the HDMI connection. So, while the dealer was here, I pulled out an decent s/pdif coax cable that I was not using and asked him to add that to the digital 1 input and assign it to "BD1" on the remote so I would have a third option, and I have to say it's now my favorite for 2 channel digital sources. While I still think the Oppo's internal DACs produces a wider sound stage, using the the Foundation's internal DACs with a decent s/pdif coax cable is very close in that regard and oh soooo much more refined in all other respects. Deeper sound stage front to back, and smoother, with no loss of detail. YMMV, of course, as it's all about system synergy and room interaction, and we all hear things slightly differently.

Also, I played a 2 channel SACD though the coax and the Foundation registered that it was receiving a DSD signal, so I need to follow up with my dealer or Krell on that since I thought DSD would only pass through the HDMI.
post #1718 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
I feel for you guys, and I'm right there with you. We all wish that the "issues" surrounding the Foundation (software update email/Facebook notifications, odd HDMI glitches, DSD/4K upgrades, etc.) were non-existent. I don't work for them. I simply feel that the value and performance of the unit so far has been worth the inconveniences. I don't believe you'll find a processor with sound like this one in this price range.

Lee
Yes, that's the thing. When you consider not only the amazing sound, but also what it does, it's price is quite remarkable. I can't see anyone buying the pricier Evolution processors now that the Foundation is out. I hope for their sake they come up with a pricier older brother, perhaps with a separate power source and such, to avoid cannibalizing their bigger margin pieces.

Also, I think they try hard to get the customer service right even though they may not hit all the marks, which I assume is because they're overextended. My dealer, Dave, sent an email or text to Bill McKiegan while he was here, and Bill called him back within a few minutes and took all the questions that I had. I didn't know who this "Bill" guy was until I asked Dave. Bill is the CEO. Wow. So, I should have answers to the issues I've posted here recently.

Last edited by Bulgogi; Yesterday at 08:42 PM.
post #1719 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Actually, don't throw away that space heater just yet my man! My dealer told me that the iBias amps run so cool that you can stack the preamp or processor directly on top. In fact they are designed for that.
post #1720 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

I know but if you look at the btu per hour it is up there. I guess thats what them 4 fans are for. To cool that baby down when installed close together in a rack.
post #1721 of 1723 Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
@Bulgogi I also use the analog output from my source player direct to my pre-amp, bypassing the Foundation completely. This only works for CD content however as the analog outputs on the source player are disabled for higher-resolution content. I have found that when the source player is connected to the Foundation via HDMI the sound quality is virtually indistinguishable to source player analog direct to pre-amp, but ONLY if the display connected to the Foundation is also ON. If the display is off the sound is completely different. With my eyes closed I can tell whether my display is on or off simply by listening to a CD via Foundation HDMI connection. The difference is easy to pick, the HDMI display needs to be ON for the Foundation to sound it's best for HDMI sourced content.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #1722 of 1723 Old Today, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
@Bulgogi I also use the analog output from my source player direct to my pre-amp, bypassing the Foundation completely. This only works for CD content however as the analog outputs on the source player are disabled for higher-resolution content. I have found that when the source player is connected to the Foundation via HDMI the sound quality is virtually indistinguishable to source player analog direct to pre-amp, but ONLY if the display connected to the Foundation is also ON. If the display is off the sound is completely different. With my eyes closed I can tell whether my display is on or off simply by listening to a CD via Foundation HDMI connection. The difference is easy to pick, the HDMI display needs to be ON for the Foundation to sound it's best for HDMI sourced content.
That's certainly not good news. I do not plan on using the HDMI out on the processor. I will run the video directly from my Oppo/Sony FMP to the projector until 4K output is a reality on the Foundation. Have others noticed this oddity as well?

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Sony FMP-X10 (Pre-order), Apple TV 3, Krell Foundation, 7 x Emotiva XPA-1L, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, Sonus Faber Venere Center, 4 x Emotiva ERD-1, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP
post #1723 of 1723 Old Today, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I have the display on when I use the HDMI, and to me the difference between HDMI and analog out on my Oppo is readily apparent. I'll experiment some more, but am happy with the s/pdif coax connection in any event.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page