Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 59 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 172Likes

post #1741 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Foundation just arrived. That is one chintzy microphone. You would think for $6500 piece of gear that they could include a slightly better mic. Hell, even Anthem does with their receivers that cost a fraction of the price. Is it supposed to rattle at the tip? Seems like that would compromise the pickup.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, HTPC, Marantz AV8802, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, 2 x Emotiva XPA-200, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Foundation just arrived. That is one chintzy microphone. You would think for $6500 piece of gear that they could include a slightly better mic. Hell, even Anthem does with their receivers that cost a fraction of the price. Is it supposed to rattle at the tip? Seems like that would compromise the pickup.
Well, yes, it might, and is an issue that has been covered here and by Kal in Stereophile.

But, umm, congrats on getting your new Foundation anyway?
post #1743 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
I would highly recommend contacting Krell on this issue. My understanding is that the warranty is not transferable. I spoke to the guy on Audiogon about this issue and believes that is the policy as well. It is actually the reason I did not buy it (plus I didn't want to deal with the hassle of returning the one that already shipped.)

I spoke to another individual about a month back who was selling one and he said the same thing too.

UPDATE straight from the horse's mouth (I e-mailed Krell on the issue):

"If an end user (AKA: retail customer) trades in a unit that still has warranty coverage remaining to an authorized Krell dealer, that authorized Krell dealer can resell the unit with the remaining warranty intact. However if and end user purchases a unit that still has warranty remaining from another end user, the warranty is not transferable.

Regards,

Patrick Bresnahan
Sales, Technical Support, Service"
Ok this is great info. That makes my decision for me. I knew that was in the warranty I saw on line but not mentioned in this way in the Foundation owners reference mentioned previously.
post #1744 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes the mic is a joke. I totally wrapped the end where the pickup is with black electric tape. Then slid it in my mic stand holder. This worked pretty well for me. I also put tape at the bottom of the holder where the wire comes through. Because the wire moves up and down through the tube. This stops the element from shaking if you pull the wire down firmly then put tape there.

I know shouldn't have to do that on a 6500 processor.

But wait until you get it set up and listen. You will be in awe.
post #1745 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Ok this is great info. That makes my decision for me. I knew that was in the warranty I saw on line but not mentioned in this way in the Foundation owners reference mentioned previously.
No problem. Figured others might wonder too so I wanted to make sure everyone is clear on the situation.

Quote:
Yes the mic is a joke. I totally wrapped the end where the pickup is with black electric tape. Then slid it in my mic stand holder. This worked pretty well for me. I also put tape at the bottom of the holder where the wire comes through. Because the wire moves up and down through the tube. This stops the element from shaking if you pull the wire down firmly then put tape there.

Yeah, pretty crazy indeed. Has anyone tried purchasing a different mic to use with it?

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, HTPC, Marantz AV8802, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, 2 x Emotiva XPA-200, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
post #1746 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I believe a couple people have. Didn't work. I believe Kal Rubinson even tried a few mics he had laying around.
post #1747 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Yes I believe a couple people have. Didn't work. I believe Kal Rubinson even tried a few mics he had laying around.
You'd need to install the corresponding microphone calibration file. The Foundation comes with the file for the supplied mic.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
post #1748 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgogi View Post
Hey Lee,

Were you able to do this? Still a mystery to me!

Josh
Well, as it turns out, there was a bug. As I had mentioned, the "Analog/Preamp" mode should route the stereo signal directly to the volume control and bypass all processing circuitry. The "Analog/Stereo" mode digitizes the signal to allow crossover, etc. functions. This was NOT happening. I'm pleased to announce that Krell issued Software V1.23 today and this bug is corrected. I verified this in testing on my system after installing the update. You'll get to hear the Foundation in full analog preamp mode. Excellent!

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
post #1749 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 04:23 PM

Liked: 69
Quote:

I have seen the foundation at Krell's factory and it looks sweet. Sound wise, for movies only, how much of a step up is this from an anthem MRX AVR? ( or a top end pioneer elite )

$6500 is 6 times the price of my Anthem....does it sound that much better ? If so, in what ways is it superior? ( besides build quality )

I am using PBN Montana eps2's as my mains, with a matching set of surrounds and center. My amps are great as well: Wyred 4 Sound MC for the center and surrounds, and a 15 year old Krell FPB-300C for the towers. ( krell bought used for around $4000, ...a much needed discount )

Thanks guys!

B
post #1750 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
Well, as it turns out, there was a bug. As I had mentioned, the "Analog/Preamp" mode should route the stereo signal directly to the volume control and bypass all processing circuitry. The "Analog/Stereo" mode digitizes the signal to allow crossover, etc. functions. This was NOT happening. I'm pleased to announce that Krell issued Software V1.23 today and this bug is corrected. I verified this in testing on my system after installing the update. You'll get to hear the Foundation in full analog preamp mode. Excellent!

Lee
Interesting. This is the second time this bug has come up. I noticed it once awhile ago. I reported it to Krell they had it fixed in an update I believe 3 days later.
post #1751 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 05:31 PM

One failed attempt after another with the Foundation install today. My Emotiva XPA-1Ls came today as well. In the process of getting them hooked up, my XLR cable connector got stuck in the first one I tried. Now Emotiva is cross shipping me a replacement and I have ordered some new Mogami Gold cables since I don't trust the ones I have. The amps and Krell just sit there disconnected. So close, yet so far away.

post #1752 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One failed attempt after another with the Foundation install today. My Emotiva XPA-1Ls came today as well. In the process of getting them hooked up, my XLR cable connector got stuck in the first one I tried. Now Emotiva is cross shipping me a replacement and I have ordered some new Mogami Gold cables since I don't trust the ones I have. The amps and Krell just sit there disconnected. So close, yet so far away.
Hang in there. The frustration will be (mostly) behind you soon. I had an Emotiva XP3 for my surrounds, and the XLR connector inputs didn't even have the locking tab that holds the cable into the jack. I sincerely hope the replacement works for you.

Lee

post #1753 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting. This is the second time this bug has come up. I noticed it once awhile ago. I reported it to Krell they had it fixed in an update I believe 3 days later.
So often it happens that software upgrades inadvertently cause another "new" issue. They'll get it sorted out, as they have done with so many issues before. All of these smaller companies (not Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.) have limited R&D budgets to deal with all the complexities of HDMI implementation, etc. That's why it takes a bit of patience to allow them to address customers' issues. The sound quality of this unit makes the process worthwhile.

Lee
vvuuren likes this.

post #1754 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
You'd need to install the corresponding microphone calibration file. The Foundation comes with the file for the supplied mic.
True but it goes beyond that. None of the mics I tried were functional with the Foundation.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1755 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post
$6500 is 6 times the price of my Anthem....does it sound that much better ? If so, in what ways is it superior? ( besides build quality )
Put it this way. I had the Halcro SSP180 for a few years. The Halcro was more than double the price of the Foundation. The Foundation sounds every bit as good as the Halcro in 2ch, and infinitely close almost as good as the Halcro for multi-channel.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #1756 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
This information comes as a surprise. Proper protocols should dictate that if there is a microphone calibration file in the Foundation it should be traceable to the microphone to which the calibration relates (eg mic serial number). As far as I know the black plastic thing that ships with the Foundation is generic without serial number.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #1757 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Consumer protection lawyers would have a field day on that one should it need be tested. If it 'aint written in the warranty it 'aint in the warranty, period!

If true this twist in the Krell warranty is very similar to the Wilson Audio warranty, but at least Wilson spell it out exactly! Krell documentation leaves a lot to be desired.

post #1758 of 3436 Old 07-15-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post
Consumer protection lawyers would have a field day on that one should it need be tested. If it 'aint written in the warranty it 'aint in the warranty, period!

If true this twist in the Krell warranty is very similar to the Wilson Audio warranty, but at least Wilson spell it out exactly! Krell documentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Yeah I read a Krell warranty from a couple years ago and it stated everything that he said. No warranty for used items unless bought used from an authorized dealer. Then you would get the remainder of the warranty from when first put into service. The new warranty doesn't say that. I wonder if Krell actually did change there policy and whoever at Krell didn't know. I would think like you that it needed to be in there.
post #1759 of 3436 Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Lee
Thanks Lee. I saw this last night and downloaded the new firm update immediately, so I'm on v1.23. Bill, the president, had explained Analog/Stereo to me as well a few days ago, and I was going to report back that he said exactly what you'd surmised in your earlier post, but am still waiting for Krell to get back to me on a few of the other issues I'd posted. He also mentioned that there was a bug on the Analog/Preamp setting which they were fixing.

That bug is interesting to find out about. I wonder if it had just appeared on 1.22 or was also part of 1.21? If that latter, I guess it's a testament to how transparent modern DSPs are, because I already thought that setting was pure analog and sounded great! Anyhoo, it's fixed now and I'll see if I notice a difference by memory.

Thanks again.
post #1760 of 3436 Old 07-16-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah I read a Krell warranty from a couple years ago and it stated everything that he said. No warranty for used items unless bought used from an authorized dealer. Then you would get the remainder of the warranty from when first put into service. The new warranty doesn't say that. I wonder if Krell actually did change there policy and whoever at Krell didn't know. I would think like you that it needed to be in there.
I am wondering that too, because there is zero language about the warranty being non-transferrable or only applying to the original purchaser.
post #1761 of 3436 Old 07-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Got the Foundation setup in stereo mode for now. My jaw hit the floor when I heard the clear, strong bass that my Sonus Faber's began delivering. I thought it was using the subs at first. I am truly amazed at the smoothness, clarity, and punchiness of the Krell. It is a very assured device and coupled to my new Class A amps truly delivers something beautiful. The switch from the Yamaha processor is quite unbelievable really. The Yamaha sounds cheap, bright, and very edgy in comparison. Consider me sold. Well done Krell.
rhale64L7, RBFC and vvuuren like this.

post #1762 of 3436 Old 07-16-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got the Foundation setup in stereo mode for now. My jaw hit the floor when I heard the clear, strong bass that my Sonus Faber's began delivering. I thought it was using the subs at first. I am truly amazed at the smoothness, clarity, and punchiness of the Krell. It is a very assured device and coupled to my new Class A amps truly delivers something beautiful. The switch from the Yamaha processor is quite unbelievable really. The Yamaha sounds cheap, bright, and very edgy in comparison. Consider me sold. Well done Krell.
I can't say we didn't tell you so. Wait until you watch a movie. You won't believe it. Makes you not worry about all that money you spent as much huh.

Last edited by rhale64L7; 07-16-2014 at 06:52 PM.
post #1763 of 3436 Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I can't say we didn't tell you so.
I'm a believer now. Can't wait to hear some multi-channel audio. Work on that phase of the project Friday.

post #1764 of 3436 Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Well folks I have a couple surprises coming my way.

I am in heaven right now. Things have gotten better financially around here. Lets just say I am a guinea pig around here on one of them. Hehe.
vvuuren likes this.
post #1765 of 3436 Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
..The Yamaha sounds cheap, bright, and very edgy in comparison. Consider me sold....
None of those supermarket brands can compete with the Krell pedigree....just unfortunate that the Krell owners reference can't compete with those of most of the supermarket brands.

post #1766 of 3436 Old 07-17-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post
None of those supermarket brands can compete with the Krell pedigree....just unfortunate that the Krell owners reference can't compete with those of most of the supermarket brands.
I really don't take issue with the manual. Honestly, I hardly ever look at them and while the Krell has a steeper learning curve than most thanks to the lack of OSD it is still very manageable. I enjoy fiddling around anyway to learn the ins/outs of my toys.

post #1767 of 3436 Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 26
We'll my new unit is sporadically losing sound from multiple inputs. It loses the sound whether on HDMI or on Coax input. When it happens nothing will return the sound short of powering the foundation off and back on. I have removed my DirecTv hdmi connection from the Fiundation to rule out the static/ grounding issue but the problem still occurs. Getting frustrated again as this is a new unit mfg in May 2014. Anyone else experiencing this?

This appears similar to old issues where the unit would spontaneously power off and right back on. Only now it just loses audio and video but does not power off. On v1.23 and was also having this issue on v1.22. May go back to v1.20 and see if that makes any difference.

Last edited by jsetliff; 07-17-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #1768 of 3436 Old 07-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
We'll my new unit is sporadically losing sound from multiple inputs. It loses the sound whether on HDMI or on Coax input. When it happens nothing will return the sound short of powering the foundation off and back on. I have removed my DirecTv hdmi connection from the Fiundation to rule out the static/ grounding issue but the problem still occurs. Getting frustrated again as this is a new unit mfg in May 2014. Anyone else experiencing this?

This appears similar to old issues where the unit would spontaneously power off and right back on. Only now it just loses audio and video but does not power off. On v1.23 and was also having this issue on v1.22. May go back to v1.20 and see if that makes any difference.
I have not had any issues on v1.23 or 22.
post #1769 of 3436 Old 07-17-2014, 04:47 PM

Alright, got all 7.2 channels setup, ran ARES speaker setup, and then EQ setup. Let me just say the EQ it set was beyond terrible. Shockingly so. So I reset the unit and ran only the speaker setup and left the EQ at stock. Initial impression in multichannel is one of ambivalence. I'm not blown away like I was with 2 channel. I am pretty disappointed and even more so in the ARES system. Any pointers someone can give me before I pull the plug? I love the 2 channel sound, but i'm not dropping almost $7k just for music when I rarely listen to music in that room. The surround sound doesn't seem any different than what the Yamaha provided and is further limited by the room equalization failing.

post #1770 of 3436 Old 07-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Alright, got all 7.2 channels setup, ran ARES speaker setup, and then EQ setup. Let me just say the EQ it set was beyond terrible. Shockingly so. So I reset the unit and ran only the speaker setup and left the EQ at stock. Initial impression in multichannel is one of ambivalence. I'm not blown away like I was with 2 channel. I am pretty disappointed and even more so in the ARES system. Any pointers someone can give me before I pull the plug? I love the 2 channel sound, but i'm not dropping almost $7k just for music when I rarely listen to music in that room. The surround sound doesn't seem any different than what the Yamaha provided and is further limited by the room equalization failing.
Did you run the EQ full range? At full range it does sound terrible. I run EQ at below 125 only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier