AVS Forum banner
321K views 5K replies 183 participants last post by  thrust@wowway.com 
#1 ·
With all the respect for the administrators and users, i don't mean to open repetitive threads about products already talked, but, in my opinion the KRELL FOUNDATION + KRELL S-1500 have all the ingredients to become classified as the new Death Star of Home Theater.

It's finally time for the Denon AVP-A1HD + POA-A1HD to come out of the King chair.

Of course, this is based in more than one opinion around the globe.

Here the owners and future owners can discuss this set and share with all the fans their experience and joy.

Enjoy...

#1,502 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff  /t/1484878/krell-foundation-owners-thread/1500#post_24768535

Krell notified me today that they are going to send me a new Foundation processor. Very happy right now.

Great to hear that they are taking care of you. So far everyone that has had a faulty unit has been taken care of. I hope the next one will give you everything you need in a processor.

Has anyone found out anything else about the video update card? Or the new amps?

#1,504 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel  /t/1484878/krell-foundation-owners-thread/1500#post_24768600

heck maybe they can do the 4K upgrade before they send it out if you wanted it! I would hate to send it back again!

Well that would be awesome, but I don't think it is going to happen. I do not mind sending it back to them for the upgrade. Remember that I had the capacitor fix done and it was very quick turn around. It was 13 days door to door and that was mostly due to ground shipping both directions.

I am really looking forward to the upgrade though to get the independent zones HDMI output. I have a complicated system with everything from music servers to security system cameras running through the Krell via HDMI. I have HDMI (converted to optical and Ethernet and then back on other end) running to six other rooms in my home. So HDMI second zone is important to me. More so than the 4K upgrade, though that will be nice as well.

#1,506 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren  /t/1484878/krell-foundation-owners-thread/1500#post_24770936

Anyone else have problems connecting to look for updates? This week I'm getting "connect error" every time I want to look for update. Never previously had any trouble with this. Just wondering if it's my network or a server problem.

I had that problem once. I think I unplugged the Foundation and reset the network then everything worked. If that doesn't work it is probably on krells end.

#1,507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7  /t/1484878/krell-foundation-owners-thread/1500#post_24771362

I had that problem once. I think I unplugged the Foundation and reset the network then everything worked. If that doesn't work it is probably on krells end.
Thanks. Just unplugging Foundation power fixed the problem. Didn't have to reset network.

#1,508 ·
Good deal glad it worked. Any new updates

#1,509 ·
Lol. If there are new updates I am not going to be the first to try them this time.

#1,511 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff  /t/1484878/krell-foundation-owners-thread/1500#post_24772630

Lol. If there are new updates I am not going to be the first to try them this time.
Well on the unit you have now you might as well give it a shot. What do you have to loose?

Now on your new one maybe not.

#1,513 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonovanz  /t/1484878/krell-foundation-owners-thread/1290#post_24636430

New Foundation owner here. Had it for about three weeks and it is setup and operating. It came with software version 1.18. On three occasions when watching TV with an HDMI connection from a DirecTV HD receiver, the Foundation would shut down and turn off the amp. It would then immediately power back up and tell the amp to power up too. Within a few seconds everything was back to normal. I thought it might be cheap surge protectors so I replaced them with some good quality Tripp Lite units. Everything was OK for a few days. Yesterday I loaded software version 1.19 via a network connection and that worked OK. Now a few minutes ago it shut down then immediately powered up again. The problem is still there. The other HDMI connection to the Foundation is from an Oppo 103, but I have not yet experienced this problem while playing any disk on the Oppo. Any ideas?

My original unit is doing this as well. I have noticed it happening every other day or so. Spontaneously turns off and back on very quickly. Hopefully my replacement unit will not do this. We will see. But you are not alone in having this issue. I have found that this issue is not limited to DirecTv or a specific HDMI input. I has happened to me both while watching Directv via HDMI and when listening to music server via HDMI (separate HDMI inputs). Until now I had just assumed this issue was perhaps in some way related to the repair work that was done to my unit. Since you are also having this issue on a new unit that shipped with v1.18, I am not so sure.

#1,514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren  /t/1484878/krell-foundation-owners-thread/1500#post_24779201

Does anyone know if sub should play with PLIIx music?
The subwoofer has no relation to PLIIx. It's just based on the bass management settings.

#1,517 ·

Is Krell now manufactured in CHINA?  "Manufactured In China Under ISO 9001 Quality System"

KRELL made by Jade that is a scary thought :(

#1,518 ·

With regard to watching DirecTV, none of my previous trouble shooting fixed the problem. It was not until I started working the DirecTV coax path that the problem appears to have been resolved. The Foundation likes a clean DirecTV signal. I think it will handle a clean weak signal, but not a dirty strong signal, if that makes sense. You want a clean strong signal. (1) The DirecTV satellite dish needs to be grounded to your home electrical system ground, or some other legit ground that is up to code. (2) The coax cables from the dish also need to be grounded to the same grounding block prior to entering your house. With an improperly grounded satellite system, static electricity will build up on the dish, run down the cable and mess with your Foundation. (3) Once inside your house, avoid wall plates where the coax cable connects on the inside of the plate, and another cable connects on the outside. (4) The coax cable should not pass through a surge protector. The DirecTV technician that came to our house recommended very strongly that the coax cable should not go through a surge protector, and I've read this on the web as well. Evidently a surge protector can goof with the DirecTV signal just enough that the Foundation does not like it. I would try to have as few connections as possible in the coax path. If you can go from the dish to the grounding block, then straight into your HD Receiver, that is probably the best way to go. I’ve heard people say “it’s digital, either you have a signal or you don’t”, but I’m convinced that there are varying degrees of goodness when it comes to a DirecTV signal. As far as not running the coax through a surge protector, and being concerned about reduced protection should you take a lightning strike, your first line of defense is going to be the grounding block on the outside of your house. A direct hit is probably going to fry everything down the line anyway and you’ll take it up with your homeowners insurance. Since cleaning up our coax path, the HD picture is better and so is the sound.

#1,519 ·
^ I didnt have a problem with my directv going hdmi to my Foundation. Not once either hdmi or coax. Not one handshake or picture issue here. But mine is grounded the way you explain. Mine is also plugged into a surge protector. I have no other way of doing it.

#1,521 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren  /t/1484878/krell-foundation-owners-thread/1500#post_24793458

Huh?

Yeah exactly what I thought.

#1,522 ·
My replacement unit shipped today. Should get it Wednesday.

#1,524 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren  /t/1484878/krell-foundation-owners-thread/1500#post_24802116

Let us know if all your issues are resolved with the new unit.
Is your network issues fixed vvuuren?

#1,526 ·
Ok good luck. I hope you can figure it out.