Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #181 of 2416 Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Guys it pains me very much to say this but I had, repeat, had to sell my Foundation. This is just temporary though. I will be buying another. I absolutely think it is a bargain.
See right after I bought it we found out kid had to have braces. Then my son told me one week later he was getting a divorce. So I had to do the rest of my basement into bedrooms. Now I have my son and three grandchildren living with me. And a bill for braces. Wow a lot happened in two months time.

I tried to make it but with Christmas coming up and until my sons divorce is final and he gets another place it would be best to just sell it and wait to get it again. Boy is that a run on sentence or what.

Glad to see some new owners on here. I can still give help if anyone needs it. I will be reading this thread daily. So you guys keep me updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2416 Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of replacing my Integra DHC 80.3 with either the Krell Foundation, Anthem 50v, or D2v. Has any one upgraded from an Integra DHC 80.3 ? And if so what are your impressions?

Thanks.
post #183 of 2416 Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Why I never had the 80.3 I had the Integra 9.9 and the Foundation was so much better. It wasn't even close.

I have a severe problem with digital hash. It bothers my ears so much that I have never been able to listen to any digital music at anywhere near reference. That all changed with the Foundation. I listened at reference and above a lot of the time.
post #184 of 2416 Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodges View Post

I am thinking of replacing my Integra DHC 80.3 with either the Krell Foundation, Anthem 50v, or D2v. Has any one upgraded from an Integra DHC 80.3 ? And if so what are your impressions?

Thanks.

A very interesting UK review below, that briefly draws comparison to the Anthem D2v and the Denon AVP-A1HD.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/krell-foundation-review/16513
post #185 of 2416 Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know what is the latest firmware version?
post #186 of 2416 Old 12-07-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppi View Post

Does anyone know what is the latest firmware version?

Yuppi I sure wish I could help but like I said I sold mine. It was released two weeks ago I am pretty sure. So the date should be late Nov not the early November date of the previous firmware. I hope this helps. Cant you just check for an update on your Foundation and see if there is a later version? The latest version did fix the problem with the sub playing in all modes.
post #187 of 2416 Old 12-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Liked: 13
I should be getting mine next week....any tips on setting it up.
post #188 of 2416 Old 12-07-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes if you trigger anything with the Foundation go to source setup first and set that up. Set all your inputs in there. If you listen to two channel and dont want eq on that go in and save that into memory 2 or 3 prior to running any of the speaker setup. Then if you want a eq setting for music but different from movies save that into the other of memory 2 or 3. Then do your speaker setup. Then go in and check in edit settings what it set your speakers at. The crossover frequency will most likely be wrong. But thus is a big but. This may have a lot to do with your room. But still you will probably be lowering your frequency for most or all of your speakers. After you do this then you can run ares eq. Here it will ask if you want full if you hit the up or down button you can change this. I tried all the settings my room is highly treated. I found either 125 or 250 best for me. But if your room is not treated well you would probably want the full setting.
post #189 of 2416 Old 12-07-2013, 01:50 PM

Can someone please confirm what room EQ the Foundation uses?
post #190 of 2416 Old 12-07-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ares it is there own designed eq and speaker setup program.
post #191 of 2416 Old 12-08-2013, 02:03 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Yuppi I sure wish I could help but like I said I sold mine. It was released two weeks ago I am pretty sure. So the date should be late Nov not the early November date of the previous firmware. I hope this helps. Cant you just check for an update on your Foundation and see if there is a later version? The latest version did fix the problem with the sub playing in all modes.
I have try to update last night but there is download error due to the poor krell server, would try again next week.
post #192 of 2416 Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:

Ares it is there own designed eq and speaker setup program.
Thanks. I wondered if it was truly an in-house developed tech or maybe something they licensed to be able to call their own. Single-point calibrations don't really interest me, as the best I've used so far have been multi-point. I'm surprised they aren't using DIRAC on their Pro-Pro's, as that is considered to be about as good as it gets.
post #193 of 2416 Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

That would be nice but it sounds to me that most people that get a demo of the Datasat are not impressed. Not that it isnt a good eq system. But there is something there that is happening.And that does have dirac. Ares does sound good to most people after completion. So it must be doing something right.
post #194 of 2416 Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm also very frustrated! Had my Foundation (and EV3250) for two weeks already but waiting for cables to hook it up in my system. Can't wait but for now I'm just staring at it!thanks for the advice on setup.
post #195 of 2416 Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:

That would be nice but it sounds to me that most people that get a demo of the Datasat are not impressed. Not that it isnt a good eq system. But there is something there that is happening.And that does have dirac. Ares does sound good to most people after completion. So it must be doing something right.
But are they getting a demo of the Datasat at it's best in the room they hear it in? There are many Dealers in the World who are just in it for the money and don't really care about taking the time and effort to get the intended performance out of a complex product that requires more than just a few minutes to set up for a demo. Also, the price of the RS20i is likely to form negative views in people that either cannot afford it or just simply don't understand what it offers over Processors at lower prices points. I find it a very interesting product, but it's way out of my price range.
post #196 of 2416 Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah who knows. I have heard it is very complex and hard to set up.
post #197 of 2416 Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

I'm also very frustrated! Had my Foundation (and EV3250) for two weeks already but waiting for cables to hook it up in my system. Can't wait but for now I'm just staring at it!thanks for the advice on setup.

Just got mine today and can't do anything until I get my remote reprogrammed. My equipment is in a closet. However that's the cheapest ass mic I have ever seen.
post #198 of 2416 Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Fortunately I didn't pay for a mic. As long as it sounds as good as everyone is saying!
post #199 of 2416 Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah for the money
post #200 of 2416 Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 PM

After hearing about an optional upgrade that is on the way, as well as a future upgrade to support 4k, the Foundation is now at the top of a very short list for me. I'm tired of replacing my Processor every year when a new model is released, so a modular design is definitely of interest but only if it is supported for a reasonable amount of time to justify the price. I'm not likely to need any more than 7.2 in my room, so as long as the video board is updated to handle 4k then it should last me for quite some time. If so, it seems like a worthwhile investment.

Has anyone else been in a similar position of changing every year or so and now feel that the Foundation will end the cycle for a good few years to come?
post #201 of 2416 Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAudioSlave View Post

After hearing about an optional upgrade that is on the way, as well as a future upgrade to support 4k, the Foundation is now at the top of a very short list for me. I'm tired of replacing my Processor every year when a new model is released, so a modular design is definitely of interest but only if it is supported for a reasonable amount of time to justify the price. I'm not likely to need any more than 7.2 in my room, so as long as the video board is updated to handle 4k then it should last me for quite some time. If so, it seems like a worthwhile investment.

Has anyone else been in a similar position of changing every year or so and now feel that the Foundation will end the cycle for a good few years to come?

While I don't try to stay on the bleeding edge this is one of the readons I wanted the Foundation. It's upgrade ability. This will be and is a processor that should stick around for a while. And it sounds so good to boot.

Where did you hear these rumors? And they still need to enable dsd direct with a firmware update.
post #202 of 2416 Old 12-11-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the optional upgrade anyway? Inquiring minds want to know. I cant find anything new on the web.
post #203 of 2416 Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
My foundation is on the way and will arrive early next week. Currently have an Integra DHC 80.3 that I was perfectly happy with until I talked to a fellow avser. Oh the cravings in this hobby and the dangers of reading forum posts. Why are we never satisfied?? biggrin.gif I have the DHC 80.3 pro-calibrated (did it myself as I have the kit and the experience). I also measured the in-room response with REW and it works and it works very well!! Krell room correction is going to get into my scope if I get the time this Christmas vacation but that time is going to cost me so I may never do it. What is this amazing Krell sound in mid-range everyone is talking about? I recently replaced my amps with a Theta Dreadnaught and I can see myself pushing close to reference. Maybe the foundation is going to make me easily push to reference based on all that I am reading. I think the biggest compromise is going to be the room correction. So much work has gone into Audyssey, I don't expect the Krell correction to match that. However, if the Krell sound surpasses the room correction compromise, I am a happy camper. Remains to be seen.

Questions:
Do you use EQ?
If you use EQ, do you use EQ for LFE only (consider <200Hz as LFE though not technically)? Indicate Music or Movies?
If you don't, why not?

To give some background, I love ground shaking bass (currently DIY LMS5400 18s with dual PRs times 2 and have tried the Danley DTS-20 and dual JL audio F113s) and I love 2-ch stereo. I am one of your crazy audio guys smile.gif. I had a dedicated 2-ch setup with a flagship Oppo and a Rogue Audio Athena (stepped attenuators) and Rogue Audio Medusa hybrid preamp with a Sony XA5400es that sounded better than the flagship Oppo. I am downsizing. I want the least footprint in my home and the best quality sound I can afford. I want to simplify and that is the goal. In fact, I downsized from an Audyssey DSX 9.2 to a traditional 5.1 and so far I don't think I am missing too much. If the Krell fits, I am good. Please let me know your thoughts.
Regards,
-Jai
post #204 of 2416 Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 AM

OK I couldn't wait for my remote to get programmed I installed the Foundation this evening and DAMM. I still have to tweak it but just running ARES for speaker set up and eq. without any teaking it sounds fantastic. The dialog is as clear as my system has ever been and the surrounds seem to have come alive. I run 2 JL F113's and the room shakes, ratles and rolls with movies as it should, but in 2 channel mode they are tame and where they should be. Unlike the Integra 80.3 it replaces I had to turn the subs down all the time in 2 channel.

If the Foundation is upgradable that is a bonus. I use to have a Casablanca III and although it finally has an HDMI board, it took them way, way, too long (over 3 years) to implement that feature and could not wait any longer and bought a Halcro SSP 220. Based on someones post that the Foundation sounds as good as the Halcro, sealed the deal for me and frankly the Foundation does.

jmcomp124 you will be very happy.biggrin.gif
post #205 of 2416 Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

It sure is about time this thing gets its well deserved love. I couldn't believe this thread wasnt busier. It is a fantastic bargain.

The dialog intelligibility is really fantastic. A long with everything else. And you will be wanting to turn it up constantly. Lol
post #206 of 2416 Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

My foundation is on the way and will arrive early next week. Currently have an Integra DHC 80.3 that I was perfectly happy with until I talked to a fellow avser. Oh the cravings in this hobby and the dangers of reading forum posts. Why are we never satisfied?? biggrin.gif I have the DHC 80.3 pro-calibrated (did it myself as I have the kit and the experience). I also measured the in-room response with REW and it works and it works very well!! Krell room correction is going to get into my scope if I get the time this Christmas vacation but that time is going to cost me so I may never do it. What is this amazing Krell sound in mid-range everyone is talking about? I recently replaced my amps with a Theta Dreadnaught and I can see myself pushing close to reference. Maybe the foundation is going to make me easily push to reference based on all that I am reading. I think the biggest compromise is going to be the room correction. So much work has gone into Audyssey, I don't expect the Krell correction to match that. However, if the Krell sound surpasses the room correction compromise, I am a happy camper. Remains to be seen.

Questions:
Do you use EQ?
If you use EQ, do you use EQ for LFE only (consider <200Hz as LFE though not technically)? Indicate Music or Movies?
If you don't, why not?

To give some background, I love ground shaking bass (currently DIY LMS5400 18s with dual PRs times 2 and have tried the Danley DTS-20 and dual JL audio F113s) and I love 2-ch stereo. I am one of your crazy audio guys smile.gif. I had a dedicated 2-ch setup with a flagship Oppo and a Rogue Audio Athena (stepped attenuators) and Rogue Audio Medusa hybrid preamp with a Sony XA5400es that sounded better than the flagship Oppo. I am downsizing. I want the least footprint in my home and the best quality sound I can afford. I want to simplify and that is the goal. In fact, I downsized from an Audyssey DSX 9.2 to a traditional 5.1 and so far I don't think I am missing too much. If the Krell fits, I am good. Please let me know your thoughts.
Regards,
-Jai

Eq for movies. I believe I had it set at 250hz and down. I tried all of them and that was the best in my room.

Music didnt like it. I have a very well treated room. Will post more later have to go.
post #207 of 2416 Old 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The eq for music took a little bit of sound stage depth away. Wasn't as involving as without. Eq for movies was fantastic though.

I have my oppo 105 hooked directly to my halo amps now and the difference on movies is very disappointing compared to what it was through the Foundation. It is as if I had dynamic range compression on. I have checked and double checked, it is off.
post #208 of 2416 Old 12-12-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The eq for music took a little bit of sound stage depth away. Wasn't as involving as without. Eq for movies was fantastic though.

I have my oppo 105 hooked directly to my halo amps now and the difference on movies is very disappointing compared to what it was through the Foundation. It is as if I had dynamic range compression on. I have checked and double checked, it is off.
If you have it directly hooked, are you using digital attenuation for volume control with the Oppo?
post #209 of 2416 Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbenzz View Post

OK I couldn't wait for my remote to get programmed I installed the Foundation this evening and DAMM. I still have to tweak it but just running ARES for speaker set up and eq. without any teaking it sounds fantastic. The dialog is as clear as my system has ever been and the surrounds seem to have come alive. I run 2 JL F113's and the room shakes, ratles and rolls with movies as it should, but in 2 channel mode they are tame and where they should be. Unlike the Integra 80.3 it replaces I had to turn the subs down all the time in 2 channel.

If the Foundation is upgradable that is a bonus. I use to have a Casablanca III and although it finally has an HDMI board, it took them way, way, too long (over 3 years) to implement that feature and could not wait any longer and bought a Halcro SSP 220. Based on someones post that the Foundation sounds as good as the Halcro, sealed the deal for me and frankly the Foundation does.

jmcomp124 you will be very happy.biggrin.gif
Thanks for the reassurance Larry.
With the CB III and Halcro SSP 220 background, I think you have heard some of the best out there and very happy to hear that you think the foundation sounds as good as the Halcro.
post #210 of 2416 Old 12-12-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

No should I be? I get good volume out of it. But not to much. I haven't lowered it all the way to check but it does play plenty soft.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page