Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
I sense a little anger..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
I was temporarily unbalanced.
Justifiably. This nonsense of balanced vs. truly balanced connections never dies.
Roger Dressler likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2115 Old 08-21-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I have thought many times about taking electronic s engineering classes at the community college. If they could teach me with audio equipment I could get more interested.
That's how I started. But even a few courses, or just some reading will get you going. Depends on exactly what you want to know. It's a buffet with a lot of choices.
post #2103 of 2115 Old 08-21-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yeah I might give it a shot. The classes that is. My buddy does keep me from blowing money stupidly sometimes even though I get ticked at him for dispelling the myths.

It is always nice to think you can make it sound even better if you want, just by buying some awesome cables.

And Kal is the truly balanced from input to output makes a difference just a myth also?

Is a good circuit good enough?

Or is a better circuit better or overkill? What have you and Roger found that makes you know that none of this matters?
post #2104 of 2115 Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
And Kal is the truly balanced from input to output makes a difference just a myth also?
Balanced is balanced whether you are talking about an output or a circuit. "Truly" is superfluous. "Does it make a difference" is a different and separate question.

Quote:
What have you and Roger found that makes you know that none of this matters?
I didn't comment on whether a particular configuration makes a difference. What I said and have said many times is there there is no need for the modifier "truly." It is balanced or it is not. (She is pregnant or she is not.)

One can have a balanced input.
One can have a balanced output.
One can have a balanced circuit.
One can have any combination of these or none.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 08-22-2014 at 07:58 AM.
post #2105 of 2115 Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I was going to ask more questions but I would continue to derail the thread.

I love this stuff. Thats why I usually take the lids off all my new equipment to see what they are made of.

I just need to go take some classes. I made my speakers and modified the heck out of a dvd player a few years back. I learned a lot but not enough to satisfy my thirst.

And thank you Kal and Roger for the lessons. I would like a lot more but I guess here is not the place.

Last edited by rhale64L7; 08-21-2014 at 09:14 PM.
post #2106 of 2115 Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Balanced is balanced whether you are talking about an output or a circuit. "Truly" is superfluous. "Does it make a difference" is a different and separate question.

I didn't comment on whether a particular configuration makes a difference. What I said and have said many times is there there is no need for the modifier "truly." It is balanced or it is not. (She is pregnant or she is not.)

One can have a balanced input.
One can have a balanced output.
One can have a balanced circuit.
One can have any combination of these or none.
I suggest reading the following article regarding differfent balanced designs and how manufacturers make mistakes or not providing the appropriate balanced connections.
http://www.rane.com/note110.html
post #2107 of 2115 Old 08-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Congratulations to rhale for having his equipment rack featured on Krell's Facebook page!

Lee
rhale64L7 likes this.

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #2108 of 2115 Old 08-22-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is the difference between "PCM/Stereo" and "PCM/Stereo Enhanced" on the Foundation? I guess "Enhanced" is sending something from both left and right channels to center channel. Seems like a 3.1 setup with sub active, and center channel derived.
post #2109 of 2115 Old 08-22-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks I didn't even notice until just now. I am not done with it yet. I am changing the trim around it to black. I think it blends in with the home made diffuser just to its right. With the flash you can see the staples in the corner and on top also. I am going to fix that.

And thanx for the link usxplong. I will definitely read.
post #2110 of 2115 Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post
I suggest reading the following article regarding differfent balanced designs and how manufacturers make mistakes or not providing the appropriate balanced connections.
http://www.rane.com/note110.html
Yup. One can make errors with the ground but the signals are still balanced or not. Pseudo-balanced is just that.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #2111 of 2115 Old 08-22-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
What is the difference between "PCM/Stereo" and "PCM/Stereo Enhanced" on the Foundation? I guess "Enhanced" is sending something from both left and right channels to center channel. Seems like a 3.1 setup with sub active, and center channel derived.
I experimented with all those modes the first time around. I actually didn't like any of them. I like pcm/stereo, analog/preamp and straight digital with no processing. Unless I am watching movies of course.
post #2112 of 2115 Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The times I've tried stereo enhanced I didn't like it much. I use stereo with sub most.

Last edited by vvuuren; 08-25-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #2113 of 2115 Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I experimented with all those modes the first time around. I actually didn't like any of them. I like pcm/stereo, analog/preamp and straight digital with no processing. Unless I am watching movies of course.
Question: How do you get "straight digital with no processing"? I assume you mean no EQ, cross-overs or sub, as any digital input will have to run though at least a stereo DAC? For a digital input, I've been using PCM/Stereo because I don't see another option that would be "less processed" for lack of a better term.

For two channel music, I don't want my HT sub (a Paradigm Servo 15 that relies solely on the Foundation's internal cross-over setting), to activate at all, because I am using a REL for music only. So I use analogue/preamp for LPs, of course, and usually also with my Oppo doing D/A duties for digital 2 channel sources. But I will say that PCM/Stereo sounds very nice too, whether through coax or HDMI, and is unavoidable when running a digital only source like an Apple TV, which I do quite often even for casual music listening. Perhaps my system is set up to disable the HT sub on the PCM/Stereo setting? Or maybe it's just a deft touch, as I certainly don't hear any bloat at all, which I would expect since the REL was set to integrate on the analog/preamp setting. I run my Dynaudio Focus 160s, the L&R mains, on full range with the Paradigm reinforcing them on the .1 channel, for movies and TV.

I'll have to experiment - as of now I've relied (too much) on the integrator for set up, though I've followed what he's done.

Last edited by Bulgogi; 08-25-2014 at 08:36 AM.
post #2114 of 2115 Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes exactly what I mean. I have memory 1 setup on bd1 input with eq and crossovers. I have bd2 for music with speaker s set on large no eq

Last edited by rhale64L7; 08-25-2014 at 09:03 AM.
post #2115 of 2115 Old Today, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I got my foundation yesterday. I installed the latest FW, run AERS, saved it, adjusted my X-overs, changed my L&R to small and did other minor setup. Everything went very smooth on my Android tablet. But I have a few questions. When I turn the Eq. on or off, it does not make any difference. I know something must be wrong. In movies the dynamic is not there. I have the dynamic settings to Max/Off.
1. So what did I do wrong with eq?
2. How can I save the eq. in memory 1?
3. How can I tweak the eq. and save it in memory 2 for music
4. Where are the speakers' distances?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page