Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #2221 of 2240 Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well I cant find the other post unfortunately.

I know you will not need the oppo 105 over the 103. If using the hdmi input on the Foundation their is no need. The only reason to select the 105 is for the better analog section. I have the 105 and want to sell it to get the 103d. I wish I had sold it earlier before the 105d came out. That hurt resale value a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2240 Old 09-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
Quick question regarding PCM output from Oppo player. When I stream FLAC files low or higher resolution, via HDMI output to Krell, who is actually doing the D/A conversion? The Krell right? Oppo is just converting FLAC to PCM before sending out via HDMI, then Krell converts PCM to analog? The reason I am asking is that I was thinking of replacing my BDP-95 with either the 103 or the 105. However, I want to be 100% sure that I only need the 103 for playing back my FLAC file library and getting good sound. Lets leave out any other issues such as HDMI having jitter or such. I believe that as soon as Krell is upgraded to decode DSD that I will really have not need for the 105 over the 103.

I am really only asking about PCM....is PCM a digital signal, that gets converted to analog by the Krell when received via HDMI? And what is really happening is Oppo is converting FLAC to PCM, then Krell is converting PCM to Analog.
I hope other users will correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct on all your assumptions. Oppo changes .wav, FLAC, ... to PCM and passes the PCM to Krell via HDMI. If you use HDMI, then the signal is digital. Krell is the one doing D/A conversion.

Last edited by sharok; 09-16-2014 at 06:06 PM.
post #2223 of 2240 Old 09-16-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you RHALE64L7 and SHAROK. I tend to over think things sometimes, and I appreciate having you guys there to clear things up. I will order the 103D now.
post #2224 of 2240 Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Roger, with my local channels it happens very often (several times per day). With other non-local channels it happens much less frequently, more in the range that The Donovans has mentioned. The local WMOR station is the worst, but FOX also has the problem for me. Last night during Fox's cooking show (can't think of the name) it happened over and over even during the show. Sometimes it would only lose audio for a split second, and of course the display on the Krell would change. Other times is lasted longer but often recovered. It happened on about the start of every commercial. Other stations like BBC America, HGTV, ect. are very stable and it may only happen once every week or even longer. Something about these local channels being fed via DirecTv is going on. I can absolutely work with Krell to capture logs and send them to them. Very happy to do that and help find the problem.
It seems to me that if Krell cannot reproduce the problem, their Foundation is getting a "good" signal and processing it normally according to it's software/firmware, whereas our Foundations are not getting a "good" signal consistently and they struggle with it. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the BBC module, that little device that the coax cable runs through before going into the DirecTV box. Maybe they can go bad, or goof with the signal if they are not working correctly.
post #2225 of 2240 Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you RHALE64L7 and SHAROK. I tend to over think things sometimes, and I appreciate having you guys there to clear things up. I will order the 103D now.
Good choice. The darbee is actually pretty nice also. If you like that sort of thing. I witnessed one in person and was very impressed. So was the wife.
post #2226 of 2240 Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Roger, with my local channels it happens very often (several times per day). With other non-local channels it happens much less frequently, more in the range that The Donovans has mentioned. The local WMOR station is the worst, but FOX also has the problem for me. Last night during Fox's cooking show (can't think of the name) it happened over and over even during the show. Sometimes it would only lose audio for a split second, and of course the display on the Krell would change. Other times is lasted longer but often recovered. It happened on about the start of every commercial. Other stations like BBC America, HGTV, ect. are very stable and it may only happen once every week or even longer. Something about these local channels being fed via DirecTv is going on.
Just to clarify, there are 3 ways to view local channels:
1) OTA antenna feeding a TV. The S/PDIF feeds the Krell.
2) OTA antenna feeding DirecTV AM-21 (or equiv), this integrates OTA channels into the DVR guide.
3) Locals via DirecTV satellite.

When you said: >>I will also try watching the local channels with the problem via the over-the-air antenna instead of the package included DirecTv version << I was not sure if you meant 2) or 3). In my case, I have had lots of problems with our local Fox affiliate with option 2). It was like the DVR was broken. Yet options 1) and now 3) are fine. It is partially due to the OTA signals being coded with much higher bitrate MPEG2 video vs. the lower bitrates used by DirecTV (with a better codec). There may be other factors at work.

If your locals on option 3) are flaky, note that the local channels come to your dish from a spot-beam transponder, not the same as the main channels. It is possible, due to dish alignment, for differences in performance to result. But this is easily eliminated as a factor if the 3) locals work perfectly when fed directly to the TVs.

Just saying that locals add additional layers of variability into the troubleshooting equation for Krell, which might be beyond their control. If we can limit the investigation to the "main" DirecTV channels, that may make it easier to duplicate the issue for analysis.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2227 of 2240 Old 09-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Post on Krell Facebook states they'll start 4K upgrade beginning of Oct!
rhale64L7 likes this.

Last edited by vvuuren; 09-17-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #2228 of 2240 Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
Post on Krell Facebook states they'll start 4K upgrade begining of Oct!
Great that will make an awesome birthday present
post #2229 of 2240 Old 09-17-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Just to clarify, there are 3 ways to view local channels:
1) OTA antenna feeding a TV. The S/PDIF feeds the Krell.
2) OTA antenna feeding DirecTV AM-21 (or equiv), this integrates OTA channels into the DVR guide.
3) Locals via DirecTV satellite.

When you said: >>I will also try watching the local channels with the problem via the over-the-air antenna instead of the package included DirecTv version << I was not sure if you meant 2) or 3). In my case, I have had lots of problems with our local Fox affiliate with option 2). It was like the DVR was broken. Yet options 1) and now 3) are fine. It is partially due to the OTA signals being coded with much higher bitrate MPEG2 video vs. the lower bitrates used by DirecTV (with a better codec). There may be other factors at work.

If your locals on option 3) are flaky, note that the local channels come to your dish from a spot-beam transponder, not the same as the main channels. It is possible, due to dish alignment, for differences in performance to result. But this is easily eliminated as a factor if the 3) locals work perfectly when fed directly to the TVs.

Just saying that locals add additional layers of variability into the troubleshooting equation for Krell, which might be beyond their control. If we can limit the investigation to the "main" DirecTV channels, that may make it easier to duplicate the issue for analysis.
Roger,

I have options 2 and 3. I do not have any antenna connected directly to my TV. I have the AM21 separate box. In all cases I have reported I am talking about option 3. I rarely use the AM21 channels unless it is raining in which case they usually still pickup when Directv feed goes out due to rain. But again in all cases I am reporting what is happening only with option 3. When I mentioned that I would try OTA I was referring to option 2. I have not yet actually tried OTA using option 2 yet.

I can now say for sure than when I re-enabled 720P in addition to 1080i, that the FOX broadcast (again using option 3) is dropping less. FOX is in 720P and most other channels are in 1080I. So in my case it appears to perform slightly better with all resolution enabled and Directv actually switching resolutions it outputs channel by channel.

I can limit to non-local channel, but as I said they fail much less often and it could be days before the problem occurs. So when I capture logs for Krell I intented to first capture logs on the local channels using option 3 because I know I can reproduce the problem quickly. If that information does not help them, then I will try to capture logs with only non-local channels.

Last edited by jsetliff; 09-17-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #2230 of 2240 Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 268
^^ Ok, thanks for the details. I hope you and Krell are able to resolve the problems soon.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2231 of 2240 Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I can limit to non-local channel, but as I said they fail much less often and it could be days before the problem occurs. So when I capture logs for Krell I intented to first capture logs on the local channels using option 3 because I know I can reproduce the problem quickly. If that information does not help them, then I will try to capture logs with only non-local channels.
Jay;

I believe PuTTY will work identical to HyperTerminal so that should do it. I will PM you with the info to set up and capture the diagnostic log. THANK YOU for trying this out!

edit: Your settings and ours here are identical EXCEPT our DirecTV box model number is HR44/500 and our software is 0x8c2, Tue 9/9.

edit 2: I cannot send PM's without a higher post count. Please PM me your email address so we can get this rolling at your convenience.

Last edited by MattKrell; 09-18-2014 at 07:47 AM.
post #2232 of 2240 Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If you order a new unit, is there an option to have no 4K or do all new units have 4K with the associated increase in price?

The problem I see with the 4K upgrade is there is no commercial source material available. By the time there is, it will be obsolete. Can't you save $2500 and just plug 4K source direct into new 4K projector. What am I missing about the value proposition of this 4K upgrade?
post #2233 of 2240 Old 09-19-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Good choice. The darbee is actually pretty nice also. If you like that sort of thing. I witnessed one in person and was very impressed. So was the wife.
Well I thought the Darbe processing would be the nice thing with the 103D. However, actually the music streaming sounds better and is much faster then the BPD-95 was. So very happy with this purchase right now. Using HDMI for audio to the Krell when streaming.
post #2234 of 2240 Old 09-19-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I love the streaming option. I have music stored on my wd mycloud and stream hirez music from it through the oppo to the Foundation with yes hdmi. It is awesome.
post #2235 of 2240 Old 09-19-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curves View Post
If you order a new unit, is there an option to have no 4K or do all new units have 4K with the associated increase in price?

The problem I see with the 4K upgrade is there is no commercial source material available. By the time there is, it will be obsolete. Can't you save $2500 and just plug 4K source direct into new 4K projector. What am I missing about the value proposition of this 4K upgrade?
Ok for one you also get native dsd support. You also get the ability to display 2 different 4k sources at the same time. And it is going to have the ability to have on screen display.

On the second thing. I am unaware of anything else that can do this. I may be wrong but I haven't heard of any.

But if none of those things you are interested in I would buy now, before the upgrade or buy a used one later.
post #2236 of 2240 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curves View Post

Based on what I have heard from my dealer, Krell will have both options available with and without 4K. The option of DSD is now available on all Foundations regardless of 4K and it is free. You don't need to get 4K to get DSD.
post #2237 of 2240 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Well possibly some good news. I was able to capture logs and send them to Krell. I got both the failure where only audio is lost and Foundation continues to response to remote control commands, and the failure where both audio and video is lost and Foundation will not response to remote control commands and must be instead powered off and back on.

I did have an issue getting HyperTerminal to accept the logging level command they wanted, so we will see if the logs I provided are sufficient, or if we have to work out that issue and continue. Either way we will get them what they need.
post #2238 of 2240 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Zone 2 issues

can someone help me with Zone 2 operation. I can get the same source in both zones but as soon as I change the source in the main zone I lose audio in zone 2. The display shows the source I want and volume but no sound? Also on the app is there a way to just control zone 2. Many thanks
post #2239 of 2240 Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRB View Post
can someone help me with Zone 2 operation. I can get the same source in both zones but as soon as I change the source in the main zone I lose audio in zone 2. The display shows the source I want and volume but no sound? Also on the app is there a way to just control zone 2. Many thanks
I wish I could help. I haven't used that feature on any of my gear yet. I guess I should use it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page