Krell Foundation Owners Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 372Likes

post #2341 of 3893 Old 10-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had it for a month. I cant hear any fans and I definitely see it put out less heat than my other 2 krells. Krell told me it has a ton of sensors inside to track it's temperature in order to prolong the life with little maintenance. No recapping needed on these new models. I think the McIntosh mc205 was the worse multi channel amp to come my way within its price point. I didn't want to accept it untik I heard the tas. Then I found a great deal on the chorus that I couldnt pass and I had all three at once and the chorus had more detail and refinement but the tas has tons of muscle. I don't know why krell never brought it back. The worse krell units I've owned were the showcase and the s1500 amps. I rather take a the Old krell from the 90s before those amps. Pure garbage. Heck I don't know why would anyone pay 4500 for a refurbished unit s1500 from krell when they can get a chorus for a grand more and it's leaps and bounds better. Those refurbished units should not be more than 3500 max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3893 Old 10-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
I've had it for a month. I cant hear any fans and I definitely see it put out less heat than my other 2 krells. Krell told me it has a ton of sensors inside to track it's temperature in order to prolong the life with little maintenance. No recapping needed on these new models. I think the McIntosh mc205 was the worse multi channel amp to come my way within its price point. I didn't want to accept it untik I heard the tas. Then I found a great deal on the chorus that I couldnt pass and I had all three at once and the chorus had more detail and refinement but the tas has tons of muscle. I don't know why krell never brought it back. The worse krell units I've owned were the showcase and the s1500 amps. I rather take a the Old krell from the 90s before those amps. Pure garbage. Heck I don't know why would anyone pay 4500 for a refurbished unit s1500 from krell when they can get a chorus for a grand more and it's leaps and bounds better. Those refurbished units should not be more than 3500 max.
That was my comment too on the S1500, I felt they are overpriced . I am just keeping what I have for now.
post #2343 of 3893 Old 10-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The only amp I want to try is the classe audio ca5200 power amp. I'm wondering how good it sounds.
post #2344 of 3893 Old 10-10-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Have you noticed this huge difference in the sound of the Chorus from when you first received it? On mine it was huge. Very thin and raspy sounding at first. Now it is detailed, very clean and real sounding. It is unlike any other amp I have heard. Not real bright not euphoric. I turn mine up pretty loud on my diy 2 way speakers. It never looses composure.
post #2345 of 3893 Old 10-10-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh I heard the ca5200 on a pair of B&W 80?. All I know is they were high dollar. The preamp was the classe top model. My wife and I were both not very impressed.

It must be my room that makes it not even close when auditioning other gear. I can't believe how much worse all this other very high dollar gear sounds.

I finally realize why people need to audition in their own room. When you get this much into it it is very hard to get better. And most if not all gear will sound blah in a non optimized room. At least this is what I am finding.
post #2346 of 3893 Old 10-10-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
Will they contact us? Or will we have to contact them?
On the 4k upgrade I am in no hurry as mine already has the dsd. That is what I wanted more than anything anyhow. So if they contact me early on I will gladly give up my spot until layer so you folks can get your dsd. It sure does sound good. The multichannel is amazing. I always listened in 2 channel before. This going back to my roots of yrue hifi being only 2 channel. But when I pressed that button and heard all my identical speakers playing I was converted instantly.
post #2347 of 3893 Old 10-10-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a Foundation on loan for the weekend, and every time time I go into menu to set up the speakers it sends out a tone for each speaker , but states NO speaker, and under there's a blinking YES ,it will go through all the channels and then say unable to setup no left channel.

It won't let me change the No to YES for the top line. It will change on the second line.

Make any sense to anyone?

Thanks

Joey
post #2348 of 3893 Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you connected the speakers properly ?
post #2349 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 912
question:

does the Foundation have an HDMI pass through selection setting when powered off?

i.e. when in standby I want the HDMI out to pass through a signal: usually you can select last source or a particular input

tia
post #2350 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycalda View Post
I have a Foundation on loan for the weekend, and every time time I go into menu to set up the speakers it sends out a tone for each speaker , but states NO speaker, and under there's a blinking YES ,it will go through all the channels and then say unable to setup no left channel.

It won't let me change the No to YES for the top line. It will change on the second line.

Make any sense to anyone?

Thanks

Joey
did you plug the mic into the mic input on the front of the Foundation?

I am still trying to understand you're statement of first and second line. There is nothing you can do manually in the detecting speaker phase. Do you mean after it doesn't detect your left speaker it stops? Then you go to edit settings and try to change?

Walk us through exactly what you are doing. Hopefully we can help.
post #2351 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
question:

does the Foundation have an HDMI pass through selection setting when powered off?

i.e. when in standby I want the HDMI out to pass through a signal: usually you can select last source or a particular input

tia
I thought that power off passthrough was addad in a firmware update but I can't find it anywhere in the menu system. This is where an updated owners manual would be nice. That outdated owners reference really sucks. Heck even Bill McKiegan has commented on the fact that they need to update the owners reference. I say they need an actual manual like the Evo 707 has. Have you guys seen that manual? It is very complete.
post #2352 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I thought that power off passthrough was addad in a firmware update but I can't find it anywhere in the menu system. This is where an updated owners manual would be nice. That outdated owners reference really sucks. Heck even Bill McKiegan has commented on the fact that they need to update the owners reference. I say they need an actual manual like the Evo 707 has. Have you guys seen that manual? It is very complete.
If Matt still reads our posts maybe he can pass that on to someone at Krell!
post #2353 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
Have you connected the speakers properly ?
Yes and the tone plays on each speaker, but for some reason it doesn't recognize that there is a speaker attached. The dealer is open today so I should get an answer.

Thanks
post #2354 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the mic plugged in joey?
post #2355 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Yes and the tone plays on each speaker, but for some reason it doesn't recognize that there is a speaker attached. The dealer is open today so I should get an answer.

Thanks
Make sure that the mic is plugged in properly. It has to click in properly.
post #2356 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Well I bought the Ayre preamp (K-5xEMP) and plan to wait a year to see what happens with ATMOS, Auro 3D, DTS UHD. I am certain this next year won't be as good as if I had just got the Foundation. I will be keeping my eye on whatever Krell releases over the next year - as well as the Foundation.
post #2357 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Well I bought the Ayre preamp (K-5xEMP) and plan to wait a year to see what happens with ATMOS, Auro 3D, DTS UHD. I am certain this next year won't be as good as if I had just got the Foundation. I will be keeping my eye on whatever Krell releases over the next year - as well as the Foundation.
Well good luck. Glad you finally got something. I know you have been on the fence for a long time. That ayre will sound good. I guess all their products do.

Hopefully this Atmos sorts itself out. Along with the new 4k standards. Times are a changing and I don't envy anyone trying to stay even in the curve for a while.
post #2358 of 3893 Old 10-11-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes it needed to mic to set it up.

This piece is much, much, better than the Marantz 8801.

I am very impressed. I have what I feel is a pretty good all around system, with gobs of power.

Original Revel Salons, voice center, 4 embrace surrounds, 4 15" custom subs, and the Krell did a great job of handling it with one pass of the Mic.

I may have a Bryston SP 3 in here to compare shortly. Only concerned with movies with SSP.

Joey
post #2359 of 3893 Old 10-12-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like you have a nice system.

I am sure you will be impressed with both the Foundation and sp3. But the new Foundation has dsd and does do auto eq. Although not the best eq system in the world it did do a great job in the bass frequencies of my room.

The Foundation doesn't have the easiest menu system to learn but it is pretty straight forward. Heck even I figured it out, and I am definitely not the brightest candle in the box.

Did you run both sections under speaker setup? Or did you want to try Ares eq? If so you do the first part. Then go in to edit settings. Look at what it set your speakers at. Then if you want you can edit the crossover frequencies, the levels and the delays. You can do this for three memories.

Heck you would be the first person to have both pieces to compare that is not a pro reviewer. You could give your opinion without stepping on toes.

Last edited by rhale64L7; 10-12-2014 at 07:25 AM.
post #2360 of 3893 Old 10-12-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just got word from Sweden where my Foundation has been
"stored" since april, waiting for the 4K upgrade and getting a problem (suddenly no sound) fixed. The 4K board is scheduled for ultimo october it seems. It's been a silent summer! I'm hoping to get some movie watching done during the christmas holidays. It has been a mixed experience for me with this purchase, but i will try to be positive all the same.
post #2361 of 3893 Old 10-12-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I remember. I hope it goes good for you. I am glad you are keeping a positive attitude. More than I could say.
post #2362 of 3893 Old 10-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
Well possibly some good news. I was able to capture logs and send them to Krell. I got both the failure where only audio is lost and Foundation continues to response to remote control commands, and the failure where both audio and video is lost and Foundation will not response to remote control commands and must be instead powered off and back on.

I did have an issue getting HyperTerminal to accept the logging level command they wanted, so we will see if the logs I provided are sufficient, or if we have to work out that issue and continue. Either way we will get them what they need.
Jay - Any word back from Krell on whether they can use the logs you provided? Nice job on collecting that data by the way. John
post #2363 of 3893 Old 10-12-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonovanz View Post
Jay - Any word back from Krell on whether they can use the logs you provided? Nice job on collecting that data by the way. John
With instructions from Matt I was able to get PUTTY working correctly and capturing the correct level of logging. So on 9/27 I captured an hour worth of log using DirecTV via HDMI where the sound was lost several times. I emailed that log to Matt on 09/27. I have not heard anything back at this point. Hopefully it is providing them some insight into the problem.

It is quite easy to capture the data, and if necessary I would be happy to capture and provide more logs anytime they want. The only minor inconvenience it that in my setup I use RS232 port for system control instead of the supplied remote and the log capturing also requires use of the RS232 port. I use iRule interface and iTach equipment for control of all the devices via my iPad and my iPhone. Luckily all of my equipment is in a closet where I have full access to both the front and back of the equipment racks. So making the switch from remote control system to laptop computer is very easy for me.

Last edited by jsetliff; 10-12-2014 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Additional information.
post #2364 of 3893 Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Anyone knows if bi-amp is possible with foundation in 5.1 setup.
post #2365 of 3893 Old 10-13-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It sounds like you have a nice system.

I am sure you will be impressed with both the Foundation and sp3. But the new Foundation has dsd and does do auto eq. Although not the best eq system in the world it did do a great job in the bass frequencies of my room.

The Foundation doesn't have the easiest menu system to learn but it is pretty straight forward. Heck even I figured it out, and I am definitely not the brightest candle in the box.

Did you run both sections under speaker setup? Or did you want to try Ares eq? If so you do the first part. Then go in to edit settings. Look at what it set your speakers at. Then if you want you can edit the crossover frequencies, the levels and the delays. You can do this for three memories.

Heck you would be the first person to have both pieces to compare that is not a pro reviewer. You could give your opinion without stepping on toes.

So what have people that have had both say?
post #2366 of 3893 Old 10-13-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So what have people that have had both say?
Thats just it. There is nobody that has that I know of except pro reviewers
post #2367 of 3893 Old 10-13-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

No it doesn't. I've been asking for this feature for 10 months, hopefully they'll do something about it before I sell it and buy the Altitude 32.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #2368 of 3893 Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post
No it doesn't. I've been asking for this feature for 10 months, hopefully they'll do something about it before I sell it and buy the Altitude 32.
Thanks.
post #2369 of 3893 Old 10-13-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post
Wow the Altitude huh. That would be nice I'm sure. I thought that Krell had mentioned some time ago about the power off passthrough being added. I must have mistaken.
post #2370 of 3893 Old 10-13-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
..I thought that Krell had mentioned some time ago about the power off passthrough being added. I must have mistaken.
If they have they haven't said so, and mine doesn't pass when in standby, so I can only assume it hasn't been added.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page